Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,653 members, 7,827,407 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:33 AM

Why Do Football Scouts Go To Watch Players Live, When They Can Watch Them On TV? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Do Football Scouts Go To Watch Players Live, When They Can Watch Them On TV? (694 Views)

Why Do Football Goalies Wear Different Jerseys For Matches? / NFF Appoints Kanu, Okocha & Babangida As Scouts, Eguavoen Reacts / Why Do Football Players Cover Their Mouths While Speaking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Football Scouts Go To Watch Players Live, When They Can Watch Them On TV? by creolehunt: 9:44am On Jun 07, 2022
I've always wondered why this is so. I've even had to browse the answer but couldn't get any reasonable one.

I mean, why travel from England to Italy to watch Tammy Abraham play against Lazio for example when you can tine in to the match from the comfort of your sitting room and watch same player?

What exactly is the rationale?

I would understand if it were players playing in obscure or lower leagues whose games are not televised, but not players playing for top teams.

Lalasticlala please help
Re: Why Do Football Scouts Go To Watch Players Live, When They Can Watch Them On TV? by WatchYourSix: 9:58am On Jun 07, 2022
creolehunt:
I've always wondered why this is so. I've even had to browse the answer but couldn't get any reasonable one.

I mean, why travel from England to Italy to watch Tammy Abraham play against Lazio for example when you can tine in to the match from the comfort of your sitting room and watch same player?

What exactly is the rationale?

I would understand if it were players playing in obscure or lower leagues whose games are not televised, but not players playing for top teams.

Lalasticlala please help

So before a scout will fly to another country, he wouldnt have seen the player manytimes on TV?
Being on the pitch probably means showimg his seriousness and perhaps meeting the player later

1 Like

Re: Why Do Football Scouts Go To Watch Players Live, When They Can Watch Them On TV? by decatalyst(m): 10:08am On Jun 07, 2022
You cannot possibly know about all the qualities of a player on the TV.

After a game, you can see the behavioral part of the player (how he relates with his teammates and coaches outside the Green field).

You have the chance to speak with the player "unofficially" and pick his/her brain...assess what ooze out of their mouth.

You can also get to hear perceptions, view and unbiased assessment of the player from spectators.

In some cases, you get to have a chat with the coach, after a game, over a bottle of drink.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Football Scouts Go To Watch Players Live, When They Can Watch Them On TV? by thesicilian: 10:26am On Jun 07, 2022
There are many things you can see live on field than if you were watching on TV. Like the player's movement off the ball, positioning, relationship with other players etc. All these and more plus the fact that you can still watch the match on TV later. Not to talk of the fat bonus for the trip.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Football Scouts Go To Watch Players Live, When They Can Watch Them On TV? by samwash(m): 10:33am On Jun 07, 2022
Not only watching a player on live match, but many times they go watch players in training sessions.
They are many things to a player both on& off pitch.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Football Scouts Go To Watch Players Live, When They Can Watch Them On TV? by creolehunt: 11:12am On Jun 07, 2022
thesicilian:
There are many things you can see live on field than if you were watching on TV. Like the player's movement off the ball, positioning, relationship with other players etc. All these and more plus the fact that you can still watch the match on TV later. Not to talk of the fat bonus for the trip.

But you can see all these while watching the live match on TV too. I mean, it's same thing that's televised that you're also seeing live. Not like ther3s a different version of the player on TV.
Re: Why Do Football Scouts Go To Watch Players Live, When They Can Watch Them On TV? by aswani(m): 8:27pm On Jun 07, 2022
thesicilian:

Well said. I was lucky once to see Thierry Henry play live at Highbury, you only see about 50% of what this guy does on television.

In Patrick Vera's case, maybe you see 25% at the most.

An unforgettable experience.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Football Scouts Go To Watch Players Live, When They Can Watch Them On TV? by Karleb(m): 8:35pm On Jun 07, 2022
Let me liken going to watch match live to going to viewing center, although the difference is very hooge sha.

Have you ever wondered why football faithfuls don't watch alone, at home? Some people have giant TV at home but they will leave that to manage a 16 inches TV at viewing centers.

The excitement is always different. You have people of like mind singing, dancing, socializing in general.

Watching a TV can never come close to that. Ever!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Football Scouts Go To Watch Players Live, When They Can Watch Them On TV? by paulolee(m): 10:35pm On Jun 07, 2022
TV only shows u wats going on around the ball, the scout needs to be in d stadium to watch d player with n without d ball

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Football Scouts Go To Watch Players Live, When They Can Watch Them On TV? by creolehunt: 7:36pm On Jun 08, 2022
Lalasticlala mynd44
Re: Why Do Football Scouts Go To Watch Players Live, When They Can Watch Them On TV? by seankay(m): 7:49pm On Jun 08, 2022
We see more of what players do with the ball on TV because the ball is what the camera focuses on. However, off the ball attribute is as important as when you have the ball. Watching the game live will help you see the individual player’s movements better.

(1) (Reply)

FREE Games Here - Updated Everyday! / Israel Adesanya KNOCKOUTS Alex Pereira To Win UFC Title (Video) / This Is How Achraf Hakimi Outsmarted His Ex Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.