Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,140 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

NLC Calls Off Strike Action? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC Calls Off Strike Action? (8538 Views)

NLC Calls Proposed N85 Per Litre 'propaganda', Plans Mass Action - Dailypost / Oil Marketers, Nupeng, Pengassan Call Off Strike / NLC Calls Off Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Nobody: 6:28am On Jul 20, 2011
Aro_007:

I don't know why you guys are excited, fast pretenders, as for me this is a very terrible news, God knows I really need this 3 days badly. Am still all wrapped up in wrapper, hoping that the 3 days warning strike would be elongated beyond the 3days earlier announced. You guys are here telling me jagons as if in deed we all don't need the strike. Very well, I guess I hv no choice than to go and take my bath and head for work now. Thanks to you hypocrites. Even the weather does not support going to work this morning !

Go to work jor! Lazy dude. tongue grin
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by deor03(m): 6:30am On Jul 20, 2011
NLC is NOT serious joor.

Why call off strike at midnight, when we were sleeping.

I am working from home Today oh, either they like it or NOT
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by hassymo5(m): 6:31am On Jul 20, 2011
me i no go gree wit dis strike called off, i still dey bed. Wat nonsense from Labor. Infact i dey sixk, wil b ok by monday next week, c yawa!!!!!!!!!
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by enyojo(f): 6:32am On Jul 20, 2011
simpleseyi:

I hope Seun is not on cheap drugs. What generousity are you talking about? is Jona paying with his father's money? Is it his money or our money? please Seun don't get me upset this early morning. Just go back and sleep if sleep still dey worry you.

NO, HE IS SIMPLY BEING [b]REUBEN-ABATI[/b]C
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Phony200(m): 6:32am On Jul 20, 2011
at least i slept in. Wteva time i get to work, make oga no vex.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by prefers555: 6:38am On Jul 20, 2011
we should sue the federal govt and nlc for calling off de strike. who is with me say hiii!!!! :d :d
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by lexicon(m): 6:39am On Jul 20, 2011
enyojo:

NO, HE IS SIMPLY BEING [b]REUBEN-ABATI[/b]C

Maybe Seun trek to sckul without shoes as well.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by foscoarm(m): 6:41am On Jul 20, 2011
u guyz not get d ful info, fed govt say na only from level 1 to 6 dem go fit approve d new mini wage for. Nd from 7 to 17, discussion wil b held by january next year.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Sike(m): 6:42am On Jul 20, 2011
hassymo5:

me i no go gree wit dis strike called off, i still dey bed. Wat nonsense from Labor. Infact i dey sixk, wil b ok by monday next week, c yawa!!!!!!!!!
LWKMD! E betta make U kuku go Sixk 4 inside office now, make Oga knw say tru-tru u dey sixk. .yeye man!
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by maipeople(m): 6:44am On Jul 20, 2011
lexicon:

We have loads of lazy dude in here. @maipeople , go tell your oga say nepa people dem no get light waitch nta news yesterday so dem no no say nlc dom call off de strike . . . but wait ooo , shei de napa people no dey strike before ?
I told you, I don wash all my dirty cloth and di  one wey dey clean I no iron am, for now I just tie a wrapper, how am I going to go to office with wrapper? even Gej (as real Niger Deltan) no go fit do dat. I hope you understand the situation.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by ONWARDBABA: 6:45am On Jul 20, 2011
hiiiii hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 20, 2011
o boy see wahala, and my babe don already dey my place angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry. this na fire on the mountain. thank God i say make i chek NL this morning .

NLC LEADERS ARE MUPPETS
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by enyojo(f): 6:51am On Jul 20, 2011
lexicon:

Maybe Seun trek to sckul without shoes as well.

IF HE KNOWS THE MEANING OF THE WORD GENEROUSITY, HE WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT WHEN 'GENEROUSITY' IS FORCED OUT OF A PRESIDENT, IT IS TANTAMOUNT TO PRESIDENTIAL CLUELESSNESS!
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by enyojo(f): 6:53am On Jul 20, 2011
As a person, I hate strike with passion!
Each day brings us closer to the grave where we all rest for millions of years. So why the hurry to 'rest' to the detriment of deadlines?
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by lexicon(m): 6:58am On Jul 20, 2011
enyojo:

Each day brings us closer to the grave where we all rest for millions of years. So why the hurry to 'rest' to the detriment of deadlines?

Got me thinking . . . cry
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Gbenge77(m): 6:59am On Jul 20, 2011
they left quite late
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Nobody: 7:02am On Jul 20, 2011
simpleseyi:

I hope Seun is not on cheap drugs. What generousity are you talking about? is Jona paying with his father's money? Is it his money or our money? please Seun don't get me upset this early morning. Just go back and sleep if sleep still dey worry you.

Oya, start fight, we dey wait
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by enyojo(f): 7:02am On Jul 20, 2011
lexicon:

Got me thinking . . .  cry

thanks bro
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by maipeople(m): 7:09am On Jul 20, 2011
enyojo:

I think you have never been in a grave. Rest for million years? for where. My sis, dem go make you siddon and tell dem everything (words & actions) dat you did in your life. Rest ke abi Rest ni. Better wake up.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by hassymo5(m): 7:11am On Jul 20, 2011
hassymo5:

Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by werepeLeri: 7:18am On Jul 20, 2011
debrief08:

@ Seun, off course you would know how " Generous" your "beloved president" is. After all you have collected your share of the generousity and chopped. Hope it lasts to your childrens generation. Oh ma bad you don't want kids, so enjoy ya generous loot, chop am alone. Your time go come

You must be an eediot.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by texazzpete(m): 7:20am On Jul 20, 2011
The NLC people are stoopid. How can you call off a strike at 1am?
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by werepeLeri: 7:20am On Jul 20, 2011
See them. They dont want to work, yet, they will be the ones to carry placards saying Nigeria is backwards.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Mbeki: 7:32am On Jul 20, 2011
[size=13pt]The seven point agreement reads:[/size]

• The Federal Government agrees to comply with the new national minimum wage (Amendment) Act 2011.

•The Federal Government shall conclude negotiations with labour on the implementation of the new national minimum wage not later than 31 July, 2011.

•Detailed negotiations on the relativity implications of the implementation of the new minimum wage Act, 2011 will be concluded not later than 31 July, 2011.

•The new wages will be implemented with effect from 1 August, 2011.

•The arrears of the new wages with effect from 23 March, 2011 will be paid not later than 31 August 2011.

•No workers shall be victimized in any manner or form as a consequence of the implementation of the new national minimum wage.

•In line with the agreement earlier reached with the Federal Government and state governors, labour resolves to suspend the three-day warning strike across the country.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Abali1(m): 7:33am On Jul 20, 2011
It was close, very close but organised labour finally decided early Wednesday morning to call off its three-day warning strike which was planned to commence Wednesday.

The impasse over the implementation of the new minimum national wage of N18,000 was finally resolved after a series of meetings between the labour unions and governors as well as Federal Government officials.

A communique released early Wednesday morning said the strike had been called off with immediate effect.

THISDAY however learnt that because of the lateness of the truce, the labour officials would find it difficult to pass the message across to members, meaning the strike may be observed Wednesday, at least partially.  

The communique also said payment of the new minimum wage would start from August 1, 2011, declaring that all negotiations should end by July 31.

All arrears since the law was signed last March are also expected to be paid.

The communique concluded that "no worker shall be victimised" as a result of this industrial action.

The communique was signed on behalf of the Federal Government by Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim; Minister of Labour, Chief Emeka Wogu; and Head of Service of the Federation, Professor Afolabi.

President of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Omar Abdulwahid and President of Trade Union Congress (TUC) Comrade Peter Esele signed on behalf of labour.

It was read by Abdulwahid.

Before the strike was called off, it had been announced that employees of the Lagos State civil service had opted out.

The state government said its workforce was not participating in the action because none receives below the N18,000 in question as monthly wage.

The state Head of Service, Prince Adesegun Ogunlewe, who said this at the presentation of retirement bond certificates worth N2.198 billion to 322 retirees, added that the government had already complied with the Minimum Wage Act.

A circular with Ref No CIR/HOS/11/VOL.I/068 was issued to ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) including the office of the deputy governor, speaker of the House of Assembly,

commissioners, permanent secretaries, local government chairmen and hospital administrators, among others.

The circular read: “As a proactive government, it is heartening that the new salary structure being operated since January 2011 in the Lagos State Public Service has adequately accommodated the provisions of the Act since the least paid employee now earns N18,780.48k (GP) per month as already reflected in circular Ref No. EST/S.190/S.6/VOL.III/192 of 21st February, 2011. In the same vein, parastatal organisations in the State Public Service are being assisted to comply with the Minimum Wage Act.

“The action of government is driven at ensuring stability in the socio-economic activities of the state which any industrial action might severely hamper.  Furthermore, the state is seriously concerned about the negative impact of strike to the dispensation of essential safety and security services such as healthcare, water supply, fire services and emergency management, etc, to her citizenry.”

The meeting between the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF), NLC and TUC had ended in a more confusing state.

The NLC and TUC officials refused to speak to newsmen at the Rivers State Governor’s Lodge, saying they were heading to another meeting with Anyim.

Chairman of the NGF, Mr. Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi, had told newsmen that they had concluded their aspect of the meeting with the NLC and TUC.

He said: “We have finished with the NLC and TUC. We are ready to make sacrifice where necessary because of the overbearing interest of the country, which is bigger than any individual. We have reached an agreement not to talk to anybody on this again.”

Also, the President of TUC, Esele, simply said: “We are going to the SGF’s office for the concluding part of the meeting.”

The NGF consequently raised a five-man committee to accompany the NLC and TUC to the meeting with the SGF on an observer status.

The members of the committee include Edo State Governor Adams Oshiomhole, his Enugu State counterpart, Sullivan Chime, and three others, whose names THISDAY could not ascertain at press time.

It was gathered that at the meeting, the governors convinced the labour leaders that they were willing to pay the minimum wage but insisted that it would be based on availability of funds.

According to one of the governors, who explained the terms of the meeting to THISDAY, “we are willing to pay, but we are also pushing that there be an amendment to the Federal Revenue Allocation formula to reflect the reality on ground".

He said: “This is what we meant by the relativity to pay.”

He said the chairman of the NGF signed an agreement with the labour leaders that the states would pay the minimum wage once there was the “relativity agreement” and the Federal Government kept to its agreement that the revenue sharing formula would be reviewed.

The governors of Rivers, Bauchi, Enugu, Edo, Kwara, Akwa Ibom, Plateau, Zamfara, Nasarawa and deputy governors of Katsina, Jigawa, and Ondo, among others, were present at the meeting.

Abdulwahid; the two Deputy Presidents of NLC, Isa Aremu; and Promise Adewusi, were at the meeting. The TUC President, Esele, and TUC’s General Secretary, John Kolawole, were also at the meeting. They arrived the venue at exactly 12.56 pm. The meeting came to an end at about 6.50 pm.

Culled from www.thisdaylive.com
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by femmy2010(m): 7:34am On Jul 20, 2011
Great news.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by tainot2002(m): 7:45am On Jul 20, 2011
One Man's Meat is anoda Man's Poison, People shouldn't blame those that are not happy about the recent Call-off.As a matter of fact,Some of them needs this strike due to the situation of their work and need rest since their boss refuse to do so.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by kuntash: 7:46am On Jul 20, 2011
Silly people, playing games and politics even with the mindset of Nigerians,  NLC exhibiting cowardice unlike during the era of Oshiomole, ,  instead of dem to go on strike for bad roads. high cost of diesel, No job, No kerosene, INSTEAD OF DEM TO STRIKE COS OFFICE HOLDERS ARE NOT ACCOUNTABLE, they are doing mumu for silly minimum wage that wont pay nigerians any good, ,  18k min wage, meanwhile already, cost of food and other things have gone up,  18 thousand naira would become 18kobo,  rubbish!
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by werepeLeri: 7:48am On Jul 20, 2011
tainot2002:

One Man's Meat is anoda Man's Poison, People shouldn't blame those that are not happy about the recent Call-off.As a matter of fact,Some of them needs this strike due to the situation of their work and need rest since their boss refuse to do so.

really - ? And they should be paid for the days they are out of work?

Some of you need to travel outside your coocoons and see how work life is elsewhere.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by dexed(m): 7:48am On Jul 20, 2011
Nigerians, so very predictable, someone had said it that the strike wont even hold for a day, meeting behind closed doors, settlement behind closed doors, sha pray that the govt execute what they've promised.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by nateevs(m): 7:49am On Jul 20, 2011
Seun:

That's the good thing about our beloved president's famous 'generosity' - no strikes are possible!

This is disgraceful coming from you. This shows that whatever it is the President has agreed to was possible inthe very first place. Why has it taken the eve of an economic stand-still to reach the pact? If that was not disgraceful enough, you, by some incomprehensible way, reach the conclusion that this is "generosity" . . .

A typical PR stunt instigated by selfish spin-doctors who line up their pockets at the expense of the masses. Well orchestrated to trick bigots into the continual praise of the President's name and you of all fall for it?

Disgraceful!
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Cmiller(m): 7:53am On Jul 20, 2011
not happy until d wages r bin paid or d shuld embark on d strike oo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Uche Erondu Asked FG To Investigate Nnamdi Kanu's Sudden Disappearance / FG Earmarks ₦71.6 Billion For Railway Projects / Yerima Abbas Shettima: Why Our Support Is For Yahaya Bello

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.