Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,219 members, 7,822,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:53 AM

Why Does Ethnicity Play Such An Important Role In Nigerian Politics?? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Does Ethnicity Play Such An Important Role In Nigerian Politics?? (230 Views)

Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha / The 1952 Nigeria Ethnicity Census Result / Recent Nigerian Politics In Funny Meme Collections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Ethnicity Play Such An Important Role In Nigerian Politics?? by blaquebelle: 6:43pm On Jun 11, 2022
I'm concerned about this seeing that Peter Obi's candidacy has already than been ethnicised when it is bigger than SE presidency. His candidacy started as a movement to produce a different caliber of leader that the youths felt is approachable and can be held accountable when things go wrong. But now it has been hijacked into something else though I can't blame the SE brothers since they haven't had a president in the longest time.

In an ideal world, we should be debating the selection of president between people like Peter Obi, Osinbajo, Hayatu-Deen, regardless their region of origin. I see them as the likes with good intentions but with the so called lack of political structure. If building strong political structure means you will have to embroider yourself in corrupt practices just to make allies and put your people in high places, then I think what we need are the candidates that have less political structure.

Pardon me for deviating. My point is this, Nigeria would most likely be assimilated before the next century so why must we hinder our growth with ethnicity arrangements and what not. Why should christian-christian or Muslim-muslim be considered first before the candidates' credentials, proven track record, and notable evidence of lack of corruption. I need this explained in a logical manner.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Ethnicity Play Such An Important Role In Nigerian Politics?? by Thoh(m): 6:44pm On Jun 11, 2022
Because Nigeria is a none sense place.

End Nigeria now to save lives.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Ethnicity Play Such An Important Role In Nigerian Politics?? by derecho(m): 6:44pm On Jun 11, 2022
Because our politicians made it so.
But this election will shock them
Re: Why Does Ethnicity Play Such An Important Role In Nigerian Politics?? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jun 11, 2022
The people who will accused you of tribalism on woke Twitter are the ones olaying the ethnic game.

To me, peter obi is an igbo candidate for igbo people

Tinubu is a yoruba candidate for yoruba people

Atiku is a hausa/fulani candidate for hausa/fulani people.

I am a realist and Nigeria is a country witj lot of tribes, it is obvious that people will select their candidates based on tribe, it is human nature
Re: Why Does Ethnicity Play Such An Important Role In Nigerian Politics?? by Crixxx: 6:55pm On Jun 11, 2022
This coming election is a game changer
The youths have woken up and it is not gonna be about ethnicity as usual
Re: Why Does Ethnicity Play Such An Important Role In Nigerian Politics?? by blaquebelle: 7:01pm On Jun 11, 2022
So what happens to the people from the minority tribes. What about someone like me from the middle belt? That means we would just fold our arms and watch the 3 major tribes drag Nigeria into the mud with their ethnic games. I don't know if this country will ever be better honestly.
thebosstrevor1:
The people who will accused you of tribalism on woke Twitter are the ones olaying the ethnic game.

To me, peter obi is an igbo candidate for igbo people

Tinubu is a yoruba candidate for yoruba people

Atiku is a hausa/fulani candidate for hausa/fulani people.

I am a realist and Nigeria is a country witj lot of tribes, it is obvious that people will select their candidates based on tribe, it is human nature
Re: Why Does Ethnicity Play Such An Important Role In Nigerian Politics?? by Christistruth00: 7:03pm On Jun 11, 2022
Because Politicians who have nothing to offer and poor performance often appeal to Ethnic Sentiment for votes as a last resort

1 Like

Re: Why Does Ethnicity Play Such An Important Role In Nigerian Politics?? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jun 12, 2022
blaquebelle:
So what happens to the people from the minority tribes. What about someone like me from the middle belt? That means we would just fold our arms and watch the 3 major tribes drag Nigeria into the mud with their ethnic games. I don't know if this country will ever be better honestly.

This is one of the scam of democracy in a multi ethnic country, it is a system that only favours those tribes with high population. To be realistic with you on the federal and state level, democracy does not favor minorities even in terms of allocations of funds and resources, it does not also favour minorities.

Minorities can only benefit if the local levels are doing their jobs and utilising the small allocations given to them

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu Campaign Organisation Disowns Viral Unofficial Manifesto / Where Were APC And PDP When Nigerian Graduates Became A Laughing Stock Of Famili / Moment Atiku, announced Governor Ifeanyi Okowa as his running mate (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.