Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) (1304 Views)

Bumi Thomas, Nigerian, Faces Deportation In UK. Given 14 Days To Leave / Deport Nigerians - South African Twitter Users Call For Mass Deportation / Disabled Nigerian Immigrant Faces Deportation After 34 Years In US. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by Highlandgee: 4:06pm On Jun 12, 2022
This week, 37-year Nigerian Mom, Vivian Olumide dropped to her knees in her workplace, cried out in a voice tinged with pain of the past and joy of the present, and praised God for all to hear.

Last November, on the day before her actual birthday, Hamilton, Ontario resident Vivian and her 11- year-old son Kelvin were ordered by the Canada Border Service Agency to be out of Canada before Jan. 4, 2022.

Read previous story here: https://afrotimesnews.com/category/immigration/

Six years earlier, they had arrived in Toronto for a vacation, along with Vivian’s then-husband, who is also Kelvin’s father. She said that when the husband returned to Nigeria, he told her not to follow him, but then later demanded Kelvin return to him.

Vivian claimed refugee status together with her only child, but their subsequent application to remain in the country as refugees was denied, as was their appeal. The first order for them to leave Canada was issued in 2017.

In 2021 they applied to remain on humanitarian and compassionate grounds, but were again denied.

What they had going for them were friends in Hamilton who waged a campaign to help. A crowdfunding effort raised $19,800 toward legal fees, and social media posts trumpeted their cause.

With time running out, a prayer vigil in their honour was held at the church. And then, before Christmas, their lawyer Lorne Waldman successfully appealed the denial of the humanitarian application with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. The deportation order was withdrawn.

The appeal refocused their case, emphasizing that it was in Kelvin’s best interests to remain in Canada. He has flourished in Hamilton, where he sings in a choir, plays piano, excels in school, and has made close friends.

But while their case for obtaining permanent resident status looked strong, official approval dragged on for the next five months.

Wearing her scrubs, Vivian, a Personal Support Worker was on a break when she checked her phone. There was an email from an immigration official. Oh no, she thought. What now?

The email was vanilla in tone. But it included a link to a portal to create Canadian permanent resident cards for her and Kelvin.
Permanent resident.

“I just started screaming,” she said “I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. One of the ladies asked me: ‘are you OK?’ I said yes, I have good news, my PR was approved! I knelt in the hallway, I felt like I couldn’t breathe, but I calmed myself down ... I felt like I walked through fire to get to this point. I said, God is real, and thank you, Jesus.”

She told Kelvin the news after school.

In recent months she has been attending a women’s discussion group. She said it has helped her learn to forgive herself, for mistakes she has made, as well as those who have hurt her, including her ex-husband.

“I forgive him,” she said. “That chapter has been closed ... Everything feels settled.”

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CetZYnwr9DH/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by Hamzaaaaaaaa(m): 4:13pm On Jun 12, 2022
Eyah
Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by Bahamas95(m): 4:26pm On Jun 12, 2022
So happy for her, remain in Canada with your son jare.

Nigeria will soon enter another 8years of suffering.
Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by Newphiligeek123: 4:28pm On Jun 12, 2022
Thank God for her.
Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by iyapont: 4:29pm On Jun 12, 2022
At last, Congratulations!!
Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by Highlandgee: 4:54pm On Jun 12, 2022
Keep abreast of the latest news and happenings in/around the Nigerian community abroad
Read the Afrotimes Newspaper

https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper/

Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by Cleanworld(f): 4:58pm On Jun 12, 2022
Congratulations girl. what a beautiful story. It ends in Joy. Thank God. grin grin
Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by Etinosa1234: 5:15pm On Jun 12, 2022
grin grin She'll rather fight more legal battles than to come back to buhari Nigeria

Congrats dear.. Even us sef don tire
Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by Goodman247: 6:27pm On Jun 12, 2022
Congrats to her, give your son d best life
Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by Highlandgee: 10:33pm On Jun 12, 2022
Highlandgee:
This week, 37-year Nigerian Mom, Vivian Olumide dropped to her knees in her workplace, cried out in a voice tinged with pain of the past and joy of the present, and praised God for all to hear.

Last November, on the day before her actual birthday, Hamilton, Ontario resident Vivian and her 11- year-old son Kelvin were ordered by the Canada Border Service Agency to be out of Canada before Jan. 4, 2022.

Six years earlier, they had arrived in Toronto for a vacation, along with Vivian’s then-husband, who is also Kelvin’s father. She said that when the husband returned to Nigeria, he told her not to follow him, but then later demanded Kelvin return to him.

Vivian claimed refugee status together with her only child, but their subsequent application to remain in the country as refugees was denied, as was their appeal. The first order for them to leave Canada was issued in 2017.

In 2021 they applied to remain on humanitarian and compassionate grounds, but were again denied.

What they had going for them were friends in Hamilton who waged a campaign to help. A crowdfunding effort raised $19,800 toward legal fees, and social media posts trumpeted their cause.

With time running out, a prayer vigil in their honour was held at the church. And then, before Christmas, their lawyer Lorne Waldman successfully appealed the denial of the humanitarian application with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. The deportation order was withdrawn.

The appeal refocused their case, emphasizing that it was in Kelvin’s best interests to remain in Canada. He has flourished in Hamilton, where he sings in a choir, plays piano, excels in school, and has made close friends.

But while their case for obtaining permanent resident status looked strong, official approval dragged on for the next five months.

Wearing her scrubs, Vivian, a Personal Support Worker was on a break when she checked her phone. There was an email from an immigration official. Oh no, she thought. What now?

The email was vanilla in tone. But it included a link to a portal to create Canadian permanent resident cards for her and Kelvin.
Permanent resident.

“I just started screaming,” she said “I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. One of the ladies asked me: ‘are you OK?’ I said yes, I have good news, my PR was approved! I knelt in the hallway, I felt like I couldn’t breathe, but I calmed myself down ... I felt like I walked through fire to get to this point. I said, God is real, and thank you, Jesus.”

In recent months she has been attending a women’s discussion group. She said it has helped her learn to forgive herself, for mistakes she has made, as well as those who have hurt her, including her ex-husband.

“I forgive him,” she said. “That chapter has been closed ... Everything feels settled.”

Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by RichProminent(m): 10:59pm On Jun 12, 2022
Congrats!
Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by aariwa(m): 12:45am On Jun 13, 2022
Canadian officials must be tired of asylum requests from Nigerians by now.I don’t know if copycating is the only thing in the brain of many Nigerians.If a person does something and succeeds, tomorrow every other person would want to do same.No originality, no thinking, no new ideas or research on internet smh Same Canada you will find very few Chinese , Indians, Arabs applying for asylum like Nigerians rather you find them going IT , school, technology route etc to better their lives

1 Like

Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by modskiller(m): 1:22am On Jun 13, 2022
Very happy for this woman.

I mean what else you wish for when
you know how terrible your home
country is.

Even wedding guest get kidnapped, while
we can only watch as Christian folks defend
themselves while praying in church.

And we have some useless people who for the
sake of 30K or 50K maximum will trade the
future of their children and their 10 generations.
Always defending the obvious wrong while the
children of those they’re defending will never
know hunger or penury or 100 years to come.

Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by modskiller(m): 1:22am On Jun 13, 2022
More to come

And some other more...
Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by ednut1(m): 4:24am On Jun 13, 2022
aariwa:
Canadian officials must be tired of asylum requests from Nigerians by now.I don’t know if copycating is the only thing in the brain of many Nigerians.If a person does something and succeeds, tomorrow every other person would want to do same.No originality, no thinking, no new ideas or research on internet smh Same Canada you will find very few Chinese , Indians, Arabs applying for asylum like Nigerians rather you find them going IT , school, technology route etc to better their lives
they have collaborated with usa and blocked the source. 99% of them came in through usa as its almost impossible to get visitors visa from Nigeria. Now usa visiting visa dates are not available till 2024.

2 Likes

Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by Xiaohei(m): 8:04am On Jun 13, 2022
Some good news! I’m happy for her and her son. Now they can go about facing life with more enthusiasm
Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by Newphiligeek123: 12:13pm On Jun 13, 2022
Highlandgee:

Permanent resident.

Re: Finally!! Nigerian Woman, 11year Old Son Win Deportation Battle In Canada (pics) by Highlandgee: 12:27pm On Jun 17, 2022

(1) (Reply)

Do I Need A Transit Visa Dublin / Can You Travel From UK To Nigeria On Expired Nigerian Passport? / Safer Skies- 24 Hour Radar Coverage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.