Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,417 members, 7,830,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) (1337 Views)

Germany To Deport 14,000 Nigerians; FG Gives Condition / The Bakare Family: Canada To Deport Nigerian Family, The Bakares / Iceland Set To Deport Nigerian Couple, Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by Highlandgee: 4:23pm On Jun 12, 2022
A Nigerian woman, Anna Omokhaye and her daughter Titi, have exhausted most of their avenues of appeal to challenge Canada’s decision to deport them back to Nigeria, from where they fled three years ago.

And, because Titi’s father, according to her mother, is ultra traditional, there’s concern Titi may be married off or face genital mutilation if she goes back.

“He wants to use her, the first-born girl, in a traditional ceremonial sacrifice to the gods. And, if that happens, she’s not going to be like she used to. After the sacrifice, she might become, God forbid, barren or mentally not balanced,” says Anna, who works in the environmental service department at The Ottawa Hospital, where she’s been since shortly before the pandemic.

It was Anna’s opposition to a ceremonial sacrifice that initially led her to flee Nigeria in 2018, exacerbated by unrelated violence in the country in which two of her siblings were slain in 2011 and 2017, she said. She arrived first in Maryland, spending four months there, before coming to Montreal. A month later, she moved to Ottawa.

In her basis for claim for refugee status, Anna cited the killings of her siblings in what amounted to another family trying to take over her family’s property. That claim was denied in March 2019, with the judge deciding on an internal flight alternative, or IFA, a common response suggesting that Anna and Titi were not in grave danger and could move to a different city in Nigeria.

A subsequent appeal was dismissed by the Refugee Appeal Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada, as was a request for a judicial review. Last summer, an appeal to federal court was also dismissed.

Her lawyer says the decision to deny Anna refugee status “doesn’t take into consideration that the whole of Nigeria is a time bomb. Everybody is telling their citizens not to go there, so how can we then say that she could just move to another part of the country?”

Adegunwa says an application for a judicial review filed in November is still pending, while an application for a stay of removal is expected to be filed this week so Anna and Titi can remain in Canada pending the federal court’s decision.

As it all unfolds, Anna says she just wants to stay in Canada and make a life for herself and Titi. “I want to get my sanity back and go back to my normal life. I want to be able to take care of my daughter and live my life in Canada. I want to be given the opportunity to be able to contribute more.”

Source: https://afrotimesnews.com/2022/06/09/icymi-ottawa-woman-says-her-daughter-will-be-harmed-if-theyre-sent-back-to-nigeria-but-canada-is-deporting-them-anyway/

Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by money121(m): 4:24pm On Jun 12, 2022
Ok
Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by Newphiligeek123: 4:27pm On Jun 12, 2022
Thank God for her. She is lucky, or rather favoured by God because her case doesn't look like one that would have been granted. Other people with stronger cases have been denied but she was granted.
Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by Hafizah(f): 4:28pm On Jun 12, 2022
I really hope they let her stay..

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by Newphiligeek123: 4:30pm On Jun 12, 2022
Hafizah:
I really hope they let her stay..

I pray so too

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by WatchYourSix: 4:30pm On Jun 12, 2022
Since i heard the story on nairaland of a man who arrived the US with his wife on visit visa and allowed her to deceptively marry a citizen so they can both get permanent stay 3 years later (she even got pregnant for the man) ....i know that nigerians can package anything just to stay abroad...

6 Likes

Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by englishgirl55(f): 4:31pm On Jun 12, 2022
Hmmmm...madam pls do anything you can to remain in Canada o. Inflation, delegates, election etc. is hitting deep into Nigerian economy.
Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by Wisetrue99: 4:37pm On Jun 12, 2022
Who in his or her frame of mind would want to leave Canada and come live in Nigeria
Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by Wisetrue99: 4:38pm On Jun 12, 2022
I no blame am, Who in his or her frame of mind would want to leave Canada and come live in Nigeria currently
Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by Kingpin1000: 4:38pm On Jun 12, 2022
They should come back to Nigeria, what kind of flimsy excuse is that.
Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by Newphiligeek123: 4:39pm On Jun 12, 2022
englishgirl55:
Hmmmm...madam pls do anything you can to remain in Canada o. Inflation, delegates, election etc. is hitting deep into Nigerian economy.

I tell you!
Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by Highlandgee: 4:55pm On Jun 12, 2022
Keep abreast of the latest news and happenings in/around the Nigerian community abroad
Read the Afrotimes Newspaper

https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper/

Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by Chaos14: 5:15pm On Jun 12, 2022
Musa lock gate make sure this one no enter naija
Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by ednut1(m): 5:44pm On Jun 12, 2022
Unfortunately oyinbo is not buying all these cheap loes anymore. No one is being forced to do FGM in Nigeria or being jailed for being gay. Make una stop this nonsense

6 Likes

Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by GloriousGbola: 9:33pm On Jun 12, 2022
ednut1:
Unfortunately oyinbo is not buying all these cheap loes anymore. No one is being forced to do FGM in Nigeria or being jailed for being gay. Make una stop this nonsense

I think bobrisky is really just playing a long con for asylum.
Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by ednut1(m): 9:52pm On Jun 12, 2022
GloriousGbola:

I think bobrisky is really just playing a long con for asylum.
false. He is making enough money in Nigeria from influencing. He doesn’t need any asylum
Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by GloriousGbola: 9:53pm On Jun 12, 2022
ednut1:
false. He is making enough money in Nigeria from influencing. He doesn’t need any asylum

Is he really making money though or is it just games for the gram?
Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by ednut1(m): 9:57pm On Jun 12, 2022
GloriousGbola:

Is he really making money though or is it just games for the gram?
makes money but exaggerates it. People pay him for influencing and advertisement of their products
Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by Highlandgee: 10:32pm On Jun 12, 2022
ednut1:
Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by modskiller(m): 1:33am On Jun 13, 2022
I pray they allow her stay. It’s messed up over here big time.
Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by Newphiligeek123: 12:13pm On Jun 13, 2022
Highlandgee:
A Nigerian woman, Anna Omokhaye and her daughter Titi, have exhausted most of their avenues of appeal to challenge Canada’s decision to deport them back to Nigeria, from where they fled three years ago.

And, because Titi’s father, according to her mother, is ultra traditional, there’s concern Titi may be married off or face genital mutilation if she goes back.

“He wants to use her, the first-born girl, in a traditional ceremonial sacrifice to the gods. And, if that happens, she’s not going to be like she used to. After the sacrifice, she might become, God forbid, barren or mentally not balanced,” says Anna, who works in the environmental service department at The Ottawa Hospital, where she’s been since shortly before the pandemic.

It was Anna’s opposition to a ceremonial sacrifice that initially led her to flee Nigeria in 2018, exacerbated by unrelated violence in the country in which two of her siblings were slain in 2011 and 2017, she said. She arrived first in Maryland, spending four months there, before coming to Montreal. A month later, she moved to Ottawa.

In her basis for claim for refugee status, Anna cited the killings of her siblings in what amounted to another family trying to take over her family’s property. That claim was denied in March 2019, with the judge deciding on an internal flight alternative, or IFA, a common response suggesting that Anna and Titi were not in grave danger and could move to a different city in Nigeria.

A subsequent appeal was dismissed by the Refugee Appeal Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada, as was a request for a judicial review. Last summer, an appeal to federal court was also dismissed.

Her lawyer says the decision to deny Anna refugee status “doesn’t take into consideration that the whole of Nigeria is a time bomb. Everybody is telling their citizens not to go there, so how can we then say that she could just move to another part of the country?”

Adegunwa says an application for a judicial review filed in November is still pending, while an application for a stay of removal is expected to be filed this week so Anna and Titi can remain in Canada pending the federal court’s decision.

As it all unfolds, Anna says she just wants to stay in Canada and make a life for herself and Titi. “I want to get my sanity back and go back to my normal life. I want to be able to take care of my daughter and live my life in Canada. I want to be given the opportunity to be able to contribute more.”

Source: https://afrotimesnews.com/2022/06/09/icymi-ottawa-woman-says-her-daughter-will-be-harmed-if-theyre-sent-back-to-nigeria-but-canada-is-deporting-them-anyway/

Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by Backpedal: 1:55pm On Jun 13, 2022
WatchYourSix:

Since i heard the story on nairaland of a man who arrived the US with his wife on visit visa and allowed her to deceptively marry a citizen so they can both get permanent stay 3 years later (she even got pregnant for the man) ....i know that nigerians can package anything just to stay abroad...
Will you blame them ?
Re: Canada To Deport Nigerian Woman Whose Daughter Will Be Harmed In Nigeria (pics) by Highlandgee: 3:52pm On Jun 15, 2022
For the latest news about happenings in the Nigerian community abroad, read the Afrotimes Newspaper
https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper

(1) (Reply)

Lady Relocates From The UK To Nigeria To Enjoy Peace Of Mind / How Possible Is It To Have Two E-passport With Different Identities / Using ATM In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.