Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,232 members, 7,953,882 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:11 AM

What Needs To Be Done To Make The Defense Of Super Eagles Tight - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What Needs To Be Done To Make The Defense Of Super Eagles Tight (234 Views)

Matthew Wolff: Meet The Designer Of Super Eagles New Jerseys / Messi Out Of Super Eagles Friendly / Aftermath Of Super Eagles World Cup Qualification: 10 Funny Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Needs To Be Done To Make The Defense Of Super Eagles Tight by TruthinAction: 10:31pm On Jun 12, 2022
The greatest challenge the Super Eagles have is in the defense. Even the goal conceded against Ghana was not just a goal keeper error, the defense has a blame also.

Football has gone very technical and you need to watch what champions are doing and emulate their strategies.

Three strategies I have watched great teams use in defense to make it tight are;

1. The midfielders fall back to defend when the team is under attack. So, they have good number of players in the defense line up to stop the opponent from penetrating the defense. But in the Super Eagles line up, they just leave only the defenders to do the job. This is not the conventional way of playing football. And only two attackers can penetrate such a defense line up. In summary, great teams have at least 7 players in the defense when under attack. But it's not the case with the Super Eagles. This is why they easily concede goals.

2. Great teams stop wingers of the opponent team from being able to make useful cross by using at least two players to mack the winger. Sometimes, even three players. It makes the wingers of the opponent teams completely useless. They do not even give them the opportunity to easily get a corner kick. But it's not the case with the Super Eagles. Most of the times, it's only one defender that is trying to stop the winger. And the winger is given enough space to operate with because there is no other player to assist. This is why Sierra Lone got their first goal.

3. Great teams don't give the opponent easy opportunity to take a shot close to the eighteen yard box. This is why some games will end with not more than two shots on target. They mack the strikers so close that they hardly have the opportunity to take shots. But the Super Eagles give their opponents too much space. This is why Ghana striker was able to take that shot easily that resulted in the goal they scored. Get close to the opponent such that he does not have the opportunity to easily shoot.

Sometimes, I really wonder where NFF gets these coaches from. They lack technical depth. The only foreign coach we had that was really good was Westerhof. His assistance, Bonfere Joe was also good. After them, the rest are mediocres.

I want to see good football again. What I am watching now is a far cry from the glory our team had. May God help us.
Re: What Needs To Be Done To Make The Defense Of Super Eagles Tight by babasolution: 11:04pm On Jun 12, 2022
Nigeria football is dead,Nigeria no sabi play ball again, the era of Nigeria being a footballing country is gone
Re: What Needs To Be Done To Make The Defense Of Super Eagles Tight by TruthinAction: 11:17pm On Jun 12, 2022
babasolution:
Nigeria football is dead,Nigeria no sabi play ball again, the era of Nigeria being a footballing country is gone

We have very good players but two major challenges we have are the ministry of sports and NFF. They impose players on the coaches. And they are too corrupt. I keep asking the question, what is Ahmed Musa still doing in the national team. Is it his father's house? This is the corruption I am talking about.

In addition, they recruit mediocres as coaches.
Re: What Needs To Be Done To Make The Defense Of Super Eagles Tight by babasolution: 11:28pm On Jun 12, 2022
TruthinAction:

We have very good players but two major challenges we have are the ministry of sports and NFF. They impose players on the coaches. And they are too corrupt. I keep asking the question, what is Ahmed Musa still doing in the national team. Is it his father's house? This is the corruption I am talking about.

In addition, they recruit mediocres as coaches.

As long as Nigeria keeps playing rubbish,Nigeria is no more a footballing nation whether no matter whose at fault
Re: What Needs To Be Done To Make The Defense Of Super Eagles Tight by hatakekakashi: 12:35am On Jun 13, 2022
That Aina's side is always the weak link. Against Ghana and also Tunisia too in the afcon. The guy's very good going forward but does not know when to sit deep and defend. Low budget TAA.

When Ndidi comes back he'll protect the defense better cos Aribo can't play as a DM
Re: What Needs To Be Done To Make The Defense Of Super Eagles Tight by Bahamas95(m): 8:08am On Jun 13, 2022
After that disappointment with Tunisia and Ghana nothing will make me watch their matches again, not even in my dream........Mumu team.

(1) (Reply)

Eric Bailly And Phil Jones Have Outlined Their Intention To Leave #mufc / Qatar World Cup To Use Semi-automated Offside Technology. / Israel Adesanya Defends His UFC Title

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.