Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,907 members, 7,835,026 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

2023 Election: Five Things To Know About Atiku’s Running Mate, Okowa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023 Election: Five Things To Know About Atiku’s Running Mate, Okowa (589 Views)

Buhari Confers National Award On Atiku’s Running Mate, Okowa, Others / 2023: Only God Can Stop Me From Being Atiku’s Running Mate ― Okowa / February 16, 2019 Election: Five Things To Keep In Mind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023 Election: Five Things To Know About Atiku’s Running Mate, Okowa by phemmyjohnson: 2:34pm On Jun 16, 2022
The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, has announced the Delta State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, as his running mate.

Atiku, who is a former Vice President, made the announcement on Thursday via his social media handles.

Before the announcement, The PUNCH had reported that aside from Okowa others reportedly shortlisted are Rivers State counterpart, Nyesom Wike and the Akwa Ibom State Governor, Udom Emmanuel.

The following are five things you must know about the Delta State governor who was chosen ahead Wike and Emmanuel.

**Background**

Okowa hails from Delta State and was born at Owa-Alero in Ika North-East Local Government Area of the state. He attended Edo College, Benin City (1970–1976). After his secondary school education, he proceeded to the University of Ibadan where he studied Medicine and Surgery and graduated in 1981 with an MBBS degree.

After his National Youth Service (NYSC), he worked with the Bendel State Hospitals Management Board as a Medical Officer. He entered private practice as Director, Victory Medical Centre, Igbanke in 1986.

**Foray into politics**

Okowa became Secretary to the Ika Local Government and then Chairman of the Ika North-East Local Government Council (1991–1993). He joined the PDP in 1998 and assisted in Governor James Ibori’s campaign in 1998/1999.

He also served as a Commissioner in the Delta State Government for Agriculture and Natural Resources (July 1999 – April 2001), Water Resources Development (April 2001 – May 2003) and Health (September 2003 – October 2006).

Okowa was elected Delta North Senatorial candidate in the January 2011 PDP primaries with 942 votes, but the result was challenged by party leaders who favoured Marian Amaka Alli as the party’s candidate.

He, however, won the rerun election where he scored 1,446 votes, against 108 votes for Dr. Marian Alli.
In the April 2011 election for the Delta North Senatorial seat, Okowa won 98,140 votes to defeat his closest challenger, Prince Ned Munir Nwoko of the Democratic People’s Party, who polled 67,985 votes.

**Governorship ambition**

Okowa resigned to contest the 2007 Delta State PDP governorship primaries but did not win the governorship primaries. In June 2007, Ifeanyi was appointed Secretary to the Delta State Government.

Unperturbed by the setback, Okowa finally clinched the ticket for the gubernatorial election in 2015 under the PDP with 406 votes on 8 December 2014.

With his emergence as the PDP governorship candidate, Okowa won the state’s governorship election in April 2015 with 724,680 votes. He was inaugurated as governor on 29 May 2015.

Also, Okowa was elected for a second term on March 9, 2019 governorship election. He polled 925,274 votes to defeat his opponent, the All Progressives Congress candidate, Great Ogboru, with 215,938 votes.

https://punchng.com/five-things-to-know-about-atikus-running-mate-okowa/

Re: 2023 Election: Five Things To Know About Atiku’s Running Mate, Okowa by Toneypen247(m): 2:34pm On Jun 16, 2022
Una don start
Re: 2023 Election: Five Things To Know About Atiku’s Running Mate, Okowa by Toneypen247(m): 2:35pm On Jun 16, 2022
The only thing we need to know is that both are not feasible enough to govern Nigeria and okowa is a good man with bad intentions. cry
Re: 2023 Election: Five Things To Know About Atiku’s Running Mate, Okowa by Zonefree(m): 2:36pm On Jun 16, 2022
I'd still prefer Wike.
Re: 2023 Election: Five Things To Know About Atiku’s Running Mate, Okowa by phemmyjohnson: 2:36pm On Jun 16, 2022
Who would not fear wike . He might take the position of his superior before time .. But I really do still think wike would gather more votes for atiku only that atiku might not use 4 years before wike gather others to impeach him grin
Re: 2023 Election: Five Things To Know About Atiku’s Running Mate, Okowa by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 16, 2022
I be Asaba boy pure delta him na my brother is going to be hard oh! But na peter obi i go vote make PDP relax jor

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Election: Five Things To Know About Atiku’s Running Mate, Okowa by Unzerious: 2:42pm On Jun 16, 2022
It'll be hard for PDP to win Delta Gubernatorial Election, not to talk of Presidential in Delta.

This isn't the best time to be a PDP Supporter. My Heart goes out to you Guys grin
Re: 2023 Election: Five Things To Know About Atiku’s Running Mate, Okowa by Felimax(m): 2:46pm On Jun 16, 2022
At last, hope is reignited!

Congratulations to my amiable governor.
Re: 2023 Election: Five Things To Know About Atiku’s Running Mate, Okowa by phemmyjohnson: 2:49pm On Jun 16, 2022
Felimax:
At last, hope is reignited!

Congratulations to my amiable governor.

What hope grin
Re: 2023 Election: Five Things To Know About Atiku’s Running Mate, Okowa by HONESTFACT101(m): 2:59pm On Jun 16, 2022
With APC and PDP track record voting PDP against peter obi and his labour party go hard, let's tray a new dish in a new restaurant as the normal one dey purge belle ......signing out✈
Re: 2023 Election: Five Things To Know About Atiku’s Running Mate, Okowa by Felimax(m): 3:02pm On Jun 16, 2022
phemmyjohnson:

What hope grin

Just dey your lane. Nor make me talk!
Re: 2023 Election: Five Things To Know About Atiku’s Running Mate, Okowa by chiefolododo(m): 3:17pm On Jun 16, 2022
Keep

Girl friend

$10m

Ran away

Kept quiet.

Okowa

Use the words above together in a sentence

(1) (Reply)

They Sold Tinubu A Dummy: How 2023 Will Play Out / Designate IPOB As Terrorist Organisation, Buhari Urges International Allies / Busted!!! Real Reason Tinubu Doesn't Want His Certificates To Be Seen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.