Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Phd In US, What Makes Phd Application Competitive? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Phd In US, What Makes Phd Application Competitive? (719 Views)

Nigerians Reveal What Makes Them Cry In The UK / Discover What Makes Seychelles Island An Amazing Place To Visit / Between A Fully Sponsored Phd In USA Vs In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phd In US, What Makes Phd Application Competitive? by CreativeWeb(m): 9:02pm On Jun 16, 2022
So, I'm looking at doing my PhD program at a University in US.

I had a Zoom meeting with one of their Admissions Representatives. We had a very good interaction and a Q and A session.

The PhD program is tuition free + free medical insurance and $2,500 per month stipend.

I reached out to the Head of Department I'm hoping to major my PhD on, and informed him of my intention, and he replied me. Here's his response:

"Thank you for your email. I would be happy to talk once we receive your application. I can then review it and let you know if it is competitive, and perhaps we could then talk.

Thanks again."

What makes a PhD application competitive?
Re: Phd In US, What Makes Phd Application Competitive? by JapaProf: 10:09pm On Jun 16, 2022
A PhD program is competitive if:

The school is globally rated.
The course is a marketable one.

1 Like

Re: Phd In US, What Makes Phd Application Competitive? by CreativeWeb(m): 10:55pm On Jun 16, 2022
JapaProf:
A PhD program is competitive if:

The school is globally rated.
The course is a marketable one.

Did you read the post? I didn't say PhD program, I said PhD application.
Re: Phd In US, What Makes Phd Application Competitive? by Nozino: 11:36pm On Jun 16, 2022
CreativeWeb:
So, I'm looking at doing my PhD program at a University in US.

I had a Zoom meeting with one of their Admissions Representatives. We had a very good interaction and a Q and A session.

The PhD program is tuition free + free medical insurance and $2,500 per month stipend.

I reached out to the Head of Department I'm hoping to major my PhD on, and informed him of my intention, and he replied me. Here's his response:

"Thank you for your email. I would be happy to talk once we receive your application. I can then review it and let you know if it is competitive, and perhaps we could then talk.

Thanks again."

What makes a PhD application competitive?

From someone who has gotten into 3 PhD programs in the US(I still dy Nigeria sha) , your test scores, gpa, sop, research proposals or published work, recommendation letters etc play a huge role.

If you’re in Engineering, a 3.5+/4.0, 160/170 on the quant session of the GRE, 155/170 on the Verbal session and 3.5/6.0 on the analytical session is “competitive” but it depends on individual school or program.

Have your lecturers write you good recommendations letters, if possible write it yourself and send to them.

Finally what’s the name of the Uni? Your undergraduate gpa? Do you have a Msc in the field? Have you taken the GRE? We need more information so we can advise you properly?
Re: Phd In US, What Makes Phd Application Competitive? by CreativeWeb(m): 6:27am On Jun 17, 2022
Nozino:

From someone who has gotten into 3 PhD programs in the US(I still dy Nigeria sha) , your test scores, gpa, sop, research proposals or published work, recommendation letters etc play a huge role.

If you’re in Engineering, a 3.5+/4.0, 160/170 on the quant session of the GRE, 155/170 on the Verbal session and 3.5/6.0 on the analytical session is “competitive” but it depends on individual school or program.

Have your lecturers write you good recommendations letters, if possible write it yourself and send to them.

Finally what’s the name of the Uni? Your undergraduate gpa? Do you have a Msc in the field? Have you taken the GRE? We need more information so we can advise you properly?

I think your answer is apt.

School is Boston University School of Theology.

GRE is not needed. TOEFL must be 89.

Requirements:
- Three Recommendation Letters
- A-30 page scholarly writing or an except from a thesis
- Transcript of First and Graduate degrees
- Minimum of 3.5 gpa

I have First Class in B.Th (Bachelor of Theology), 4.0 in PGDE, 3.8 in M.Th.

I Can get 100-105 in TOEFL.

My Thesis during my Master's is excellent to the extent that the school requested I publish it as a book. Although, I want to write new topic for the 30 pages scholarly writing sample.

I have three wonderful people that will write recommendations for me.

So?
Re: Phd In US, What Makes Phd Application Competitive? by Nozino: 1:25am On Jun 18, 2022
CreativeWeb:

I think your answer is apt.

School is Boston University School of Theology.

GRE is not needed. TOEFL must be 89.

Requirements:
- Three Recommendation Letters
- A-30 page scholarly writing or an except from a thesis
- Transcript of First and Graduate degrees
- Minimum of 3.5 gpa

I have First Class in B.Th (Bachelor of Theology), 4.0 in PGDE, 3.8 in M.Th.

I Can get 100-105 in TOEFL.

My Thesis during my Master's is excellent to the extent that the school requested I publish it as a book. Although, I want to write new topic for the 30 pages scholarly writing sample.

I have three wonderful people that will write recommendations for me.

So?

I have no experience in the field of Theology. You should make sure you score more than the required TOEFL score as that is usually the minimum.

Your GPAs are impressive.
If I were you, i will use my thesis for the writing sample considering the fact that it has been vetted. Please only do this if you actually did the work and didn’t plagiarize it from somewhere.

Finally, try and go through your letters of recommendations before your recommenders send it in.
Re: Phd In US, What Makes Phd Application Competitive? by CreativeWeb(m): 8:08am On Jun 18, 2022
Nozino:

I have no experience in the field of Theology. You should make sure you score more than the required TOEFL score as that is usually the minimum.

Your GPAs are impressive.
If I were you, i will use my thesis for the writing sample considering the fact that it has been vetted. Please only do this if you actually did the work and didn’t plagiarize it from somewhere.

Finally, try and go through your letters of recommendations before your recommenders send it in.

Thank you.

The graduate thesis is my work and the school subject every thesis to premium plagiarism softwares. It's tough to plagiarize. They will catch you. They will also publish your work online, so if you plagiarize and go undetected, there's a likelihood that the original owner will notice one day online and come for you.

The new scholarly writing I want to do, I want write something very very close to the track I want to concentrate on in the PhD, and I have two professors that will supervise me and guide me.

I will definitely get at least 100 in TOEFL. I'm certain of that one.

(1) (Reply)

Religious Man Storms Airport To Travel To US Without International Passport / I'm Relocating To The Gambia, Advice Needed / Austria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.