Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,794 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Please I Need Your Help With This Issue In English - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please I Need Your Help With This Issue In English (549 Views)

2018/2019 Waec Literature – In – English For Free / List Of Art Courses You Can Study Without Literature In English / Some Common Errors In English. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Your Help With This Issue In English by GeorgeThePoet(m): 5:45pm On Jun 17, 2022
There's this man in his early 30's, he wants to get married soon, he wasn't the type that took his academics serious while he was in high school, he dropped out and hustled, acquired skills and set up businesses and today he's excessively successful.
Now he's about getting married to a graduate soon though it's pretty obvious the lady in question just accepts him due to his numerous assets and financial capability cos when it comes to expressing himself in English he's nothing to write home about.
He can't read fluently neither does he write well.
Now the issue here is that the lady is about to introduce him to her family and it would be certainly shameful if the lady's parents asks him questions but the dude would be unable to flow well.
Now to avoid this ignominy, the guy recruited me to help him with the basics and the fundamentals of English language, he's improving a bit but where I'm having issue is the main rationale behind this thread.

I taught him the use of vowels and consonants and how to pronounce words using vowels.
the issue here is that words like PATrick is pronounced fluently using vowels but here he's questioning me on how words like Patience is pronounced without the method of vowels since the PAT in patience isn't pronounced using the vowels I taught him. he keeps asking why is this so?
why is the PAT in patience pronounced as "PET".
though I told him most words are not pronounced using the vowel methods.
so guys give me track and help on how I can explain to this dude.

lastly I have attached screenshots of this aspect of pronunciation in English. I have forgotten the name and the topic please someone help me.

Re: Please I Need Your Help With This Issue In English by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jun 17, 2022
Pætience
Re: Please I Need Your Help With This Issue In English by Deborah98(f): 5:54pm On Jun 17, 2022
Pætience.... Something like this will do. Teaching is for the brave hearted and low in spirit. It's well
Re: Please I Need Your Help With This Issue In English by Zonefree(m): 5:59pm On Jun 17, 2022
. but here he's questioning me on how words like Patience is pronounced without the method of vowels since the PAT in patience isn't pronounced using the vowels I taught him. he keeps asking why is this so?

This your student seems to know more than you do grin
Re: Please I Need Your Help With This Issue In English by GeorgeThePoet(m): 6:09pm On Jun 17, 2022
Deborah98:
Pætience.... Something like this will do. Teaching is for the brave hearted and low in spirit. It's well
omo me sef finish university over 7 years ago, I have forgotten all those things sef.
English dey sweet as we dey write and speak but teaching it is so hard
Re: Please I Need Your Help With This Issue In English by GeorgeThePoet(m): 6:11pm On Jun 17, 2022
Zonefree:

This your student seems to know more than you do grin
as in eh e choke me.
I come formulate one lies give am grin
honestly English sweet as we dey roll am for mouth but teaching it is so hard
Re: Please I Need Your Help With This Issue In English by Truvelisback(m): 8:27pm On Jun 17, 2022
Tell him to speak Pidgin.
Re: Please I Need Your Help With This Issue In English by Alapojames: 9:33pm On Jun 17, 2022
He should embrace his dialect
Or move with an interpreter grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please I Need Your Help With This Issue In English by Killmaster1(m): 10:02pm On Jun 17, 2022
Tell him English is a borrowed language,with laid down rules from the owners.u must pronounce words exactly as the owners demand.if he wants to get into the nitty gritty of sounds in English,he may not know what hit him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please I Need Your Help With This Issue In English by GeorgeThePoet(m): 10:14pm On Jun 17, 2022
Alapojames:
He should embrace his dialect Or move with an interpreter grin
hahahaha grin
Re: Please I Need Your Help With This Issue In English by 1F30M4(f): 12:29am On Jun 18, 2022
George, that is the phonology aspect, we call it diction here. Did you teach him about the monothongs, diphthongs, long and short vowels? You may use the vowel chart while at it and also give him some examples of words with same vowel sound, let him digest it well and come up with more examples on his own. Do that with the consonant sounds as well. I think that will help him understand better. Good luck!

(1) (Reply)

Help:how Can I Confirm My O Level On Jamb Caps / Young Girl Who Scored 9as In WASSCE Poisoned To Death / Weirdest Symptoms Pregnant Women Have

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.