Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,857 members, 7,810,285 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:31 AM

Three-storey Building Collapses In Umuahia (photos) - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Three-storey Building Collapses In Umuahia (photos) (34293 Views)

Many Trapped As Three-storey Building Collapse In Ebute-Metta (Photos) / 3-storey Building Collapsed In Umuahia [PHOTOS, VIDEO] / Enugu: Three-Storey Building Marked For Demolition Collapses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Three-storey Building Collapses In Umuahia (photos) by Humble55(m): 11:22pm On Jun 19, 2022
Poor engineer at work �
Re: Three-storey Building Collapses In Umuahia (photos) by Goddyj(m): 6:55am On Jun 20, 2022
Hotzone:

Oboy, correct sentence or u missed tenses in school or u be iti boribo
He gave us two options to choose from, "is" and "was" grin grin
Re: Three-storey Building Collapses In Umuahia (photos) by ceeceeco: 6:56am On Jun 20, 2022
I know this building, it have been built for more than 25years! No be today.
Re: Three-storey Building Collapses In Umuahia (photos) by Aguogba(m): 10:16am On Jun 20, 2022
The cause?
*Recycled steel reinforcement with very minimal tensile strength*
*In simple terms - building rods from Chinese iron and steel companies scattered across Naija*.

We don't just keep data in Nigeria, any observant person will notice that more building collapse coincided with these Chynko steel recycling where they mixup scraps from different metal sources to form building rods which are irregular alloys instead of "mild steel".

As long as SON/NIS/NSE/COREN are all asleep, more disasters will happen.

TIP: if you wanna build more that 2 storey building, BUY IMPORTED RODS. They're still available but more expensive as they depend on exchange rate.
Re: Three-storey Building Collapses In Umuahia (photos) by swissgoldenpro2: 12:14pm On Jun 20, 2022
Quack Engineers at work
Re: Three-storey Building Collapses In Umuahia (photos) by theamazonguru(m): 2:34pm On Jun 20, 2022
Fira09:
When I here news like this,I just pity the owner and blame the constructor's.
Hmmmmmmmmmmnn.
Let's not be too quick to blame the constructor/engineer.

You can't tell what goes behind the scene except you are involved.

I am currently working on a project, I had tried to cut cost several times at several stages of the project but my engineer gave an emphatic NO. He always maintained he prefers to OVER DO it than UNDER DO it.

See, most project owners like to cut cost. We seek to buy cheaper materials just to achieve so much with very little.

Well, where I might blame the engineer is perhaps allowing the owner have his way in such instances.

Remember the 21 stories building of 4 points that collapsed in Ikoyi Lagos , last year? Remember the structural engineering firm withdrew their services when it became clear the project owner wouldn't buldge on his insistence to cut cost and use low quality.
Of course we all know what happened afterwards.
Re: Three-storey Building Collapses In Umuahia (photos) by Fira09(m): 2:37pm On Jun 20, 2022
theamazonguru:

Hmmmmmmmmmmnn.
Let's not be too quick to blame the constructor/engineer.

You can't tell what goes behind the scene except you are involved.

I am currently working on a project, I had tried to cut cost several times at several stages of the project but my engineer gave an emphatic NO. He always maintained he prefers to OVER DO it than UNDER DO it.

See, most project owners like to cut cost. We seek to buy cheaper materials just to achieve so much with very little.

Well, where I might blame the engineer is perhaps allowing the owner have his way in such instances.

Remember the 21 stories building of 4 points that collapsed in Ikoyi Lagos , last year? Remember the structural engineering firm withdrew their services when it became clear the project owner wouldn't buldge on his insistence to cut cost and use low quality.
Of course we all know what happened afterwards.

You are right.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dear Abuja Residents, Is 980k For 2 Bedroom House in Lugbe Worth It? / 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria / Lagos To Relocate 400 Jakande Estate Residents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.