Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,969 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria (34371 Views)

Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos / AMEN ESTATE PHASE 2,WITH 3M DEPOSIT YOU OWN A PLOT,PRICE INCREASES SOON / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by 24hoursreporter: 11:39pm On Oct 27, 2018
Getting a notice of house rent increment from your landlord is obviously one of the worst ways to start a day. As a matter of fact, you will be so frustrating that you tend to transfer aggression on anybody. God save madam if she dares ask of money that day.

Sadly, this is the reality people are facing in Nigeria today. As you read this article, someone just got a house rent increment notice. The most painful part of this is the fact that most people don’t have a clue about what to do when they receive this notice.

Therefore, in this article, you will learn the 3 things to do when landlord increases your house rent.

Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent

#1. Tell The Landlord To Give You Time To Think About It

One of the things to do when landlord increases your house rent is to request for time to think about it. You don’t need to make an impulse decision as to whether you will continue to stay in the house or not. Rather think about it thoroughly.

As a matter of fact, you need to match your current expenses with your income and see the likely effect the proposed increment will have on your financial health. The decision you will make will be based on your analysis of your financial strength.

#2. Negotiate If Possible

You can have a heart to heart conversation with your landlord. Negotiate with him passionately and if possible let them know that you may have no option but to leave the house.

If you have a good record of paying your rent as at when due, he may want to keep you. Therefore, he may likely reduce the new price for you a little.

#3. Moving Out

Moving out is one of the things to do when landlord increases your house rent. However, it is advisable to see moving out as last resort. In fact, you have to consider moving out after exhausting all other options.

Some of the conditions that will make you leave your apartment after an increment notice are;

-When you can’t afford the proposed increment
-The landlord doesn’t pay attention to tenants complaints in the compound
-Common areas or amenities are not maintained
-Your neighbors are paying less down what you are paying in the same compound and house size

Source: http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2018/10/27/3-things-to-do-when-landlord-increases-your-house-rent-in-nigeria/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by 24hoursreporter: 11:40pm On Oct 27, 2018
Meanwhile see the 11 weakest currencies in the world ===> http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2018/09/27/top-11-world-weakest-currencies-in-2018/

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by hisexcellency34: 2:25pm On Oct 28, 2018
Number one is rubbish. Tell the landlord to allow you think about it. Think about what? It's his house. Your opinion doesn't count

98 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:26pm On Oct 28, 2018
Nigeria: The country where some landlord see themselves as gods!

mbjsuki:

You also forget to mention that some tenants also behaves like Al Capone, owe you 5 years rents yet parades themselves on social media as the owners of the house. Redecorate and reconstruct your house without approval!

Ibo people are the waste in this category! Never will I ever admit any ibo man or woman or by relation to my house again.
Don't be quick to blame the landlord. Do you know what the rate of land Use Charges are currently?
You have made good points about some tenants also bro, BUT we don't think it is about any particular tribe tho, a bad tenant will always be a bad tenant!

May God grant our heart desires.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by B3sty(m): 2:26pm On Oct 28, 2018
Thank God for his Blessings... For now, I don't have to pass through any Landlord wahala, I live in my own House and am so Happy... May God Bless all those aspiring to Build their own House...May God Bless our Hustle.... AMEN!!!

181 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by naija4all(m): 2:27pm On Oct 28, 2018
You have said it all.
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Daviddson(m): 2:28pm On Oct 28, 2018
Every state ought to make laws to regulate house rent charges. That's one element of a developed society - order in the way everything is done, no matter how minor it might seem.

5 Likes

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Heromaniaa: 2:29pm On Oct 28, 2018
There is only one thing to do. Move out. Tenants, do not negotiate with terrorists.

16 Likes

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by samkal(m): 2:29pm On Oct 28, 2018
God I thank you o. Gone are those days.
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 2:30pm On Oct 28, 2018
My landlord increased my house rent by 10k earlier this year, citing flimsy reasons. I told other tenants in the building that we should meet and negotiate with the man, but everyone was forming busy. I left them, after all, I am not the poorest and I can actually pay the new rent, was just trying to let the landlord know that he did the wrong thing.

Well, all of that is soon going to be over as I am planning to build my own house next year.

26 Likes

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Pidginwhisper: 2:30pm On Oct 28, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by seyema(m): 2:30pm On Oct 28, 2018
Nice one

Original class 10 mixza memory card for sale

32gb = ₦3000
16gb = ₦2500
8gb = ₦2000

WhatsApp/call on 07033278354 
All the price here are non negotiable.

https://www.nairaland.com/4751856/mixza-memory-card-sale#72414240
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Onlyfrozenjim(m): 2:30pm On Oct 28, 2018
This one too Na news?? shocked

1 Like

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Vanityupnvanity(m): 2:30pm On Oct 28, 2018
Landlords will not be happy with you op

the way they will attack you
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 28, 2018
i should give you time to think abi you want to negotiate

Oga don't you know block is now expensive abi you no no price of cement

ogbeni pay me my money joor!
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Melison(m): 2:30pm On Oct 28, 2018
hisexcellency34:
Number one is rubbish. Tell the landlord to allow you think about it. Think about what? It's his house. Your opinion doesn't count
Why doesn't ur opinion count??
Its his house,but you as a tenant also comes into consideration,u should think about it in the sense that u check if ur current income will be able to bear it,no just dey open mouth anyhow

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Smart3856bwmr: 2:31pm On Oct 28, 2018
Gt

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Ranchhoddas: 2:31pm On Oct 28, 2018
What kind of stupid thread is this?

3 Likes

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Felixv: 2:32pm On Oct 28, 2018
Option 2 is the best - try negotiating, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t

1 Like

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by flames01: 2:32pm On Oct 28, 2018
If you are shouting sai baba here, but haven't made enough money from BMC to build your own house, then you are a Useful Idiot.

Aisha buhari carries expensive bags, wear expensive watches costing millions of naira

Yusuf buhari bought powerbike costing million of naira

Buhari's Minister of communication has suddenly become stinkingly rich,

But here you are defending them on an empty stomach and as a hopeless tenant.

Do you really need anyone to tell you that you are a Useful Idiot?

Cc.

Buhariguy

Madridguy

Yarimo

Sarrki (the inconsistent zombie)

Butterflyleo

PHILIpu1

Babacele

8 Likes

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 2:33pm On Oct 28, 2018
lool

How can you negotiate rent with a landlord when you are known to delay rent payment.

Some people pay their rent 6minths after when its over due, how do you think that helps in negotiating?

Moving out? I will be happy if some tenants move out because it gives me ample opportunity to re arrange the house and put it a higher rent!

Sometimes its hard to raise rent prices simply because so so tenant is an Old client in the compound, so if you wan move out na to my advantage ! smiley

More so, as a wise landlord when tenants pay their rent, you send them a sound warning that next year rent will be increased so they either prepare for next year or be ready to pack out

#Cunny man die, cunny man bury am smiley

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Felixalex(m): 2:35pm On Oct 28, 2018
Kai wetin person no go see for Nairaland
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 2:36pm On Oct 28, 2018
Grupo:
My landlord increased my house rent by 10k earlier this year, citing flimsy reasons. I told other tenants in the building that we should meet and negotiate with the man, but everyone was forming busy. I left them, after all, I am not the poorest and I can actually pay the new rent, was just trying to let the landlord know that he did the wrong thing.

Well, all of that is soon going to be over as I am planning to build my own house next year.
when last did your landlord touch the rent before you start claiming it's unfair. Just 10k? that one no be increase now....

2 Likes

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by breakeven: 2:36pm On Oct 28, 2018
Is it not obvious? Do we need this?
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by SirLakes: 2:37pm On Oct 28, 2018
Yeye dey worry you

Think about what....... LMAO grin

Na you build the house undecided
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by braine(m): 2:38pm On Oct 28, 2018
Best option is to negotiate one on one with the landlord.
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by donnie(m): 2:39pm On Oct 28, 2018
angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos To Relocate 400 Jakande Estate Residents / * / Flood In Jakande, Lekki Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.