Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,521 members, 7,843,602 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4053) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1515101 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4050) (4051) (4052) (4053) (4054) (4055) (4056) ... (4723) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 3:52pm On Jan 17
Just 2 people died in all these rubbles I am seeing?

Has to be a miracle
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 3:53pm On Jan 17
izzou:

You guys really have strength with the way una dey probe and ask questions.

Let us keep asking what Obi would have done, while 3 billion is being used to verify a register....Verification only.

Una get strength.
You garrit grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 3:55pm On Jan 17
izzou:

You guys really have strength with the way una dey probe and ask questions.

Let us keep asking what Obi would have done, while 3 billion is being used to verify a register....Verification only.

Una get strength.

We need to ask these questions for posterity sake. Before people start rewriting history later in the future
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 3:56pm On Jan 17
izzou:
Just 2 people died in all these rubbles I am seeing?

Has to be a miracle

They are being economical about the truth. Except that particluar house where the explosion started was empty at the time of the incident, I don't see how any of its occupant can survive.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 3:58pm On Jan 17
iamoyindamola:

You garrit grin grin grin grin

Sincerely, I must commend the strength of you guys that are playing the opposition. It is okay, but to what end?

I retired in 2023. I just wan catch cruise, drop one or two comments, and talk about other stuffs abeg.

Let Tinubu share the money. Let governors chop. Let everybody chop abeg.

If Tinubu likes, he should use the 3 billion to buy roasted corn and pear, he has my full support

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 4:00pm On Jan 17
BlueRayDick:

They are being economical about the truth. Except that particluar house where the explosion started was empty at the time of the incident, I don't see how any of its occupant can survive.

My brother, the whole world needs to come and study Oyo state.

How can only 2 people die?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 4:02pm On Jan 17
izzou:

Sincerely, I must commend the strength of you guys that are playing the opposition. It is okay, but to what end?

I retired in 2023. I just wan catch cruise, drop one or two comments, and talk about other stuffs abeg.

Let Tinubu share the money. Let governors chop. Let everybody chop abeg.

If Tinubu likes, he should use the 3 billion to buy roasted corn and pear, he has my full support
You dan turn wicked abroadian
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 4:03pm On Jan 17
BlueRayDick:

We need to ask these questions for posterity sake. Before people start rewriting history later in the future

People took their time to probe the spendings of state governors just last month.

My brother, how did it end?

The one wey we ask before, wetin comot?

It is even more worrisome that the same citizen, suffering like you, would be the ones defending those stealing from us all.

May God bless you for doing the Lord's work.

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 4:04pm On Jan 17
BlueRayDick:

In Ibadan, house empty kwa for night?
Ko jo
There is a video of a lady that said house collapsed on her mother, sister and baby
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 4:05pm On Jan 17
iamoyindamola:

You dan turn wicked abroadian

No matter how badly he performs, I am tempted to vote him in 2027

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 4:09pm On Jan 17
izzou:

Welcome nwanne Asiwaju 2027 is a project for all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 4:10pm On Jan 17
raumdeuter:

Welcome nwanne Asiwaju 2027 is a project for all

Thank you, my brother.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DissTroy(m): 4:11pm On Jan 17
raumdeuter:

I think Nigerians are doing okay in the Tech and outsourcing world for now.
Over Xmas I had this conversation with a friend and we came to conclusion that the fastest way to grow Nigeria was to develop outsourcing. East Asian countries have the jump on us

India has like a 20yrs headstart over us and China maybe like a 50yrs headstart. What you will call the Tech revolution in Nigeria started less than 10yrs actually closer to 5yrs. In 2010 If you mention you have a Developer based in Nigeria people will look at you funny, but nowadays with the growth of online training platforms, the knowledge is spreading faster. And more Nigerians are tapping into it. In the US, At a very big organization I was working, I sent an email to a Distribution list and one Nigerian guy came to look for me cos my name was Nigerian the first he is seeing in the Tech side while we had over 300 Indians. Nowadays Nigerian names are getting more and more common in these space

[b] I still think very few people are into Tech in Nigeria compared to those countries. The more Nigerians get into that space the more we establish ourselves as a force in it. Because we have what Indians don't have which is determination and die there mentality.
[/quote]

Still, our numbers are high population-wise. In the last five years, if you find a young Nigerian with a backpack, there's an 80 percent chance, he has a laptop in it. And no, he's not into fraud like the prevalent perception would have everyone believe.

We have some natural disadvantage. In the world of outsourcing the biggest currency is Trust and perception.
An average westerner hears India/China and thinks smart, They hear Nigeria they think something else. If you are a white guy calling your bank and their call center is in India/Phillipines you will be like Shitt I have to deal with terrible accent, Ifyou call and hear Nigeria your mind goes to something totally different. It takes a while to correct that.

I have called Microsoft M365 o troubleshoot a license issue and the rep who picked it a smart girl that sounded young with a familiar accent, Pa pa pa in a few minutes figured the thing out and resolved it. After the call I asked for her name and I wasnt wrong she is Nigerian based in LAGOS!!. If I am to hire someone I will get her immediately

My point exactly! We have the talent but our bad reputation precedes us.

As an experiment to prove this point, if as a Nigerian resident techie, once you change your LinkedIn location to South Africa or even Barbados, see the offers pour in, or quicker responses. Of course, this is dishonest and burns in the long run so won't do it or advise anyone to as it'd only reinforce the stereotype of dishonesty when it blows back.

To counter this, that's where networking and recommendations come in as I have stated. Many of the techies working remotely for foreign coys or providing services part-time or freelance from Nigeria got them through recommendations. Holds true for people in my close circle too. Higher-ups with more influence who recommend and stand as sureties for these Nigerian talents.

That whole demography of Nigerian techies can't be horrible and dishonest. The lousy dubious minority just seem to get more press than the majority.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 4:11pm On Jan 17
izzou:

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 4:12pm On Jan 17
iamoyindamola:

In Ibadan, house empty kwa for night?
Ko jo
There is a video of a lady that said house collapsed on her mother, sister and baby

izzou:

My brother, the whole world needs to come and study Oyo state.

How can only 2 people die?

I don't understand what they are trying to hide sef
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 4:13pm On Jan 17
izzou:

No pass okota mile 2 sha grin grin
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 4:16pm On Jan 17
BlueRayDick:

I am pretty sure the 2 were the bodies in the pickup truck and it was recorded so they can't lie about that
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 4:19pm On Jan 17
iamoyindamola:

No pass okota mile 2 sha grin grin

I am not identifying with the party.

Just my own way of contributing to the pains and sufferings of us all. At least, I won't feel cheated.

Because i no understand how person dey chook himself needle, still dey laugh.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 4:21pm On Jan 17
BlueRayDick:

I really can't say, but it is hard to believe

In an evening for that matter; People are home, Children are home, movements are visible.

Then we have this magnitude of destruction, and only 2 people died?

Makinde, I throway nyash for you.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DissTroy(m): 4:28pm On Jan 17
raumdeuter:

When I had that discussion with my friend over Xmas some of the solutions we think can work is if some Nigerians in corporate world in Nigeria and Diaspora get together

1. Go to a University campus outside Lagos preferably OAU, Liaise with the University that I will offer to pay a part of the student school fees, I will have a lab filled with laptops and trainers for different in demand IT skills. An initial 8weeks boot camp with many real world scenarios

In exchange get them jobs which they can coordinate with their school work, and pay them. They have a bond time where they have to work with the organization, after the bond period you can leave or stay

Tying it to the school setting ensures they are serious minded people, they are captured very young at the age of curiosity and fun not when you are doing things because you need to survive. Also we can use the data submitted to the school to track anyone who tries to be steal asset or data

The choice of outside Lagos to stay away from typical Lagos distraction

Note: A big percentage of Indian IT guys come from 1 school (cant recall the name of the school)

I believe if Nigeria churn out 50K new Tech guys yearly. We will dominate Africa, and soon overtake the Asian countries

Probably another reason why I am particularly excited about Bosun Tijani's plan even though implementation might be a challenge.

I'd say we are churning out talents at a fast rate but we need to specialize into other subspecialties. Everyone wants to do UI and Frontend. High-tech like Cloud Computing, DevOps e.t.c should get just as much attention too.

And for the ones who are already skilled, facilitate their absorption. Due the due diligence then recommend or act like middle outsourcing companies just as Filipino agencies do for Australian companies.
The skill isn't the problem. Tech upskilling awareness isn't too. Networking and absorption are.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by popizaino(m): 4:31pm On Jan 17
raumdeuter:
Popizaino introduce your girlfriend to us na

Tell her to come greet us the elders

https://twitter.com/Phatill/status/1746817088461668585?s=19

grin grin grin

May my wife no catch you sha.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 5:27pm On Jan 17
DissTroy:

Probably another reason why I am particularly excited about Bosun Tijani's plan even though implementation might be a challenge.

I'd say we are churning out talents at a fast rate but we need to specialize into other subspecialties. Everyone wants to do UI and Frontend. High-tech like Cloud Computing, DevOps e.t.c should get just as much attention too.

And for the ones who are already skilled, facilitate their absorption. Due the due diligence then recommend or act like middle outsourcing companies just as Filipino agencies do for Australian companies.
The skill isn't the problem. Tech upskilling awareness isn't too. Networking and absorption are.

Cloud Computing is still new say less than 10yrs and the few guys that know it are eating good in Nigeria but they are expanding at a rapid rate too,

UI, Front end Backend Full Stack have been around for longer

Nigerians are crazy people once they put eyes on something, they run mad. See the entire black music scene/Black culture as we are taking it over in the last 15yrs. Did you see Giannis movie when he came to Nigeria? 25yrs ago these guys will be denying that they are Nigerians, Nowadays its the new cool

There are many small startups in the US and Europe who don't have deep pockets and hire mainly freelance guys who are Nigerian guys

There have been guys I am working with who suddenly disconnect from projects because they got a direct gig from Europe that pays them more.

I have a few guys in Tech in Nigeria currently who are having issues, They get smart guys train them up and in 6months when they are starting to get really good, they jump on a remote gig and leave my guys company.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 5:28pm On Jan 17
BlueRayDick:

At least 3 houses vanish because of the impact of the bomb, they're being very economical with the truth.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ihebu4chelsea(m): 5:29pm On Jan 17
izzou:

Are you serious?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 5:34pm On Jan 17
Ihebu4chelsea:
Are you serious?

Maybe, maybe not

Let's all vote APC so we can suffer it well.

Afterall, the same people that voted APC came back to tell us that there is no hope for the country.

It's time to join the band of the hopeless

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ihebu4chelsea(m): 5:37pm On Jan 17
izzou:

Maybe, maybe not

Let's all vote APC so we can suffer it well.

Afterall, the same people that voted APC came back to tell us that there is no hope for the country.

It's time to join the band of the hopeless
Hmmmm. There's actually no hope for this country!!!

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 5:40pm On Jan 17
Ihebu4chelsea:
Hmmmm. There's actually no hope for this country!!!

Thank you.

So don't stress yourself arguing or asking why Tinubu spent this or that!

Help the man and his goons chop the country well.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ihebu4chelsea(m): 5:43pm On Jan 17
izzou:

Thank you.

So don't stress yourself arguing or asking why Tinubu spent this or that!

Help the man and his goons chop the country well.
Lol. I dont disturb myself again. I dont even discuss politics again.....
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by DissTroy(m): 5:47pm On Jan 17
raumdeuter:

I have a few guys in Tech in Nigeria currently who are having issues, They get smart guys train them up and in 6months when they are starting to get really good, they jump on a remote gig and leave my guys company.

Put pen to paper. It's not illegal to do it. Have option of first refusal and a cap of engagement period before they can leave. Some agencies are doing it. Absolutely above board.

Say two years on full or part-time engagement.

It's the same thing VCs like Y Combinator do: Take risk with early-stage startups, get the right of first refusal to further funding rounds with a cap on participation. It's even right there on Y Combinator's website so it won't be wrong for others to emulate this. After all, you are investing in their upskilling so should get some sort of equity you can cash in.

------
If your guys are into web development then I have a few guys they might like. They can do background checks and all to vet too.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 5:52pm On Jan 17
nihilistjnr:

I disagree with this.

In the UK, its not necessarily ability that gets you to the top, even though it helps.

It's who you know. Most interviews that I've attended tend to be more checks for 'face-fit' than actual skill. After all, if they invite you ti an interview, then they believe at least on paper that you have a profile that matches the job description requirements.

There's a phrase that really emphasises the incestuous nature of middle and upper management in corporate Britain - Failing Upwards - a phenomena where seemingly incompetent people continue to receive career promotions almost as rewards for their numerous fuckups.

The disadvantage that we have as Nigeria immigrants in the corporate environment is that we don't yet have the informal social networks that the whites have had for centuries, although I expect this to change within a few generations.

Obligatory.

See also white privilege.

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 5:55pm On Jan 17
DissTroy:

Put pen to paper. It's not illegal to do it. Have option of first refusal and a cap of engagement period before they can leave. Some agencies are doing it. Absolutely above board.

Say two years on full or part-time engagement.

It's the same thing VCs like Y Combinator do: Take risk with early-stage startups, get the right of first refusal to further funding rounds with a cap on participation. It's even right there on Y Combinator's website so it won't be wrong for others to emulate this. After all, you are investing in their upskilling so should get some sort of equity you can cash in.

------
If your guys are into web development then I have a few guys they might like. They can do background checks and all to vet too.

From time in Nigeria early 2000s Access Bank does this Bond thing that you cannot leave them for a certain number of years or you pay a sum back. And many have always argued that such violates labor laws

If the staff decides to get another job what are your recourse?

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 5:56pm On Jan 17
nihilistjnr:

Omo no talk this one for outside.

Indian resource (as in resource based in India, and not UK/US based resource of Indian descent) behave very similarly to Nigerians in my experience. There's good and bad talent, highly skilled resource and grifters blagging their way through roles, highly conscientious workers and lazy bums in every workforce.

But the idea that Indians take work more seriously than most is a big MYTH.

Brah, I've worked with a lot, and alongside a lot in my consulting travels - and the majority of the ones I've worked with are shït, having either lied about their skills and qualifications to land on jobs they couldn't do, to being unable to produce documentation in simple English, to being incredibly lazy bums.

In my experience, they work well on repetitive task roles where they have to follow scripts, like call centres, but that doesn't require additional work ethic beyond basic gumption.

No talk this thing again for outside. grin

Ironically you are repeating word for word what my old man had to say about Indian doctors. He worked with them in UK and in Saudi and he did not have anything good to say about their competence

At work I worked adjacently with some Indians who knew their stuff and directly with some fking ediats. There is a wide spectrum. Maybe it's tied to their caste system or something

(1) (2) (3) ... (4050) (4051) (4052) (4053) (4054) (4055) (4056) ... (4723) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: Greatswimmer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.