Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4459) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1458026 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4456) (4457) (4458) (4459) (4460) (4461) (4462) ... (4654) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 5:54pm On Mar 21
Ibime:

CBN is obliged to give them at N460 as that was the rate when they forwarded to CBN. The foreign exchange risk is on CBN

If true, nobody will bring their investment to Nigeria and expose themselves to such risk

This is what I was about saying .

The whole world is watching ; however they end up solving this issue will determine the eventual decisions all those potential investors theyve traveling all over the globe to woo.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 5:56pm On Mar 21
Itsrm:

Exactly. There was no dollar to give them because the CBN was using every available dollar to defend the currency. That's why the CBN cannot afford to force the naira down. They will run into the same problems as the previous administration.

And yet CBN is trying to force down foreign exchange loss in the airline operators businesses ?

No be so now.

Na wetin dey Pursue foreign investors be this na. U can fast and pray 24/7 for FDI , but if u treat existing investors like this u just dey whine urself

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 5:58pm On Mar 21
izzou:

But it was the CBN that begged for their FX, and promised to provide it at a further date.

This won't speak well for us in the eyes of foreign investors.

You're right. That's why FDIs are not coming in for now.

The country has always had that exchange rate risk. Anyone bringing in their money must factor it in and hedge against it. Banks for instance have a treasury department. Their major job is managing Fx exposure and risk.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 6:00pm On Mar 21
BREAKING: Meta to introduce in June 2024 a feature on its Instagram app that will allow Nigerian creators to monetize their content to enable them to earn a living using the app

Meta's President of Global Affairs, Nick Clegg disclosed this after meeting with President Tinubu today at the presidential villa.

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 6:04pm On Mar 21
Something is off with the Airline forex backlog story.

But this is what I think the problem is.

They have their money trapped in Naira ( which doesn’t make sense) without a forward forex contract( which doesn’t also make sense). A Forward contract stipulates the rate and specific period to exchange currencies. Maybe they had a “gentleman” agreement with Emefiele.

Now with the devaluation of naira, if Naira is to be converted to dollars at the current rate, they will lose out.

Last year N1500, could get me $3 at the official window. This year N1500 can only get me $1 , meaning I will lose $2. Who will make up for the “supposed” $2 loss ?

I believe the Airlines probably want to game the system and dint envisage the downward spiral of naira converging with the black market rate as they probably wanted an official rate and then reselling to the black market hereby making naira gains.

There may also be some claims that look shady and Cardoso isn’t ready to pay.

- @OpeBee
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by TrebleChamp(m): 6:17pm On Mar 21
Itsrm:
https://www.nairaland.com/8037068/naira-eyes-n1300-parallel-market

Now, it looks like someone in the govt. is sponsoring these headlines. grin

Polaris bank is buying at 👇

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by patrickmuf(m): 6:17pm On Mar 21
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 6:19pm On Mar 21
TrebleChamp:

These ones are jokers grin grin

3 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by TrebleChamp(m): 6:19pm On Mar 21
Itsrm:

These ones are jokers grin grin
Weyrey bank grin
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 6:29pm On Mar 21
I formally received the marshals drawn from the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and charged them to stem theft and all nefarious activities around our mineral resources to ensure we reap maximum benefits from our God-given resources.

The Mines Marshal, as part of the new security architecture, will have their command and control domiciled in the Ministry of Solid Minerals Development (MSMD), with an initial 60 operatives deployed in each state and the FCT. I commend my interior counterpart Hon. Olubunmi Tunji -Ojo for working tirelessly with my ministry to achieve this feat, and I am pleased to launch the first batch of this security apparatus today.

The Mines Marshal, an inter-agency security outfit, will also include special operatives from other security agencies and will operate with a focus on technological advancements.

- Dele Alake [Minister for Solid Minerals]

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 6:29pm On Mar 21
TrebleChamp:

grin grin grin
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by User09: 6:47pm On Mar 21
LordAdam16:

It's not necessarily sensationalist.

Since the demise of Binance P2P/NGN Spot, the parallel market rates (both P2P and Aboki rates) now track the CBN rate.
https://www.cbn.gov.ng/rates/ExchRateByCurrency.asp
Thus, the CBN can now manipulate both the NAFEM and Black Market rates.
All it has to do is sell a tiny amount in NAFEM at a super low rate, and it'll drag down its rate as well as the NAFEM and Black Market rates.
In fact, yesterday it sold at 1350 and that's what dragged the NAFEM rate to 1492.
Today's CBN rate would be less than 1450 and P2P/Aboki will buy at less than 1400.

Why is all of this happening?

Let's circle back to February.
The CBN made a backroom deal with foreign investors.
It'll dramatically increase the fixed-income rate.
The investors will bring their FPI dollar to buy the naira-denominated TBills.
And thanks to the $ inflow, the CBN+FG will use a combination of unorthodox and orthodox measures to drive down the exchange rate.

It's a no-brainer.
The early birds brought in $500m+ (closer to $1B) at 1600+ rate.
And that's why the CBN sold an unprecedented N2.5T in TBills in two weeks.
https://nairametrics.com/2024/02/23/cbn-sells-another-n1-58-trillion-in-treasury-bills-interest-rate-at-19-for-364-day-bill/
A cross-section of analysts from the bulge bracket expect end-of-year rates to be lower than 1200.
Which means their expected ROI is to be 19%+ from TBills + 25%+ from naira appreciation.
At least 44%. Risk-free.

It's the play of the year.

Now, the CBN is keeping its side of the bargain.
We're in Spring. Dollar demand is habitually low this season.
In addition, the aforementioned high-rate fixed income pivot drove $ demand lower.
So it's remarkably easy for Cardi B to manipulate the rates.
Whatever his target rate is, he can get it with a few million dollars.

The first big test will be this Summer.
Demand will surge.
All the people who balked at vacationing at 1900, will splurge at 1200-1400.
Import numbers will rise.
In fact, in the short term (over the next few months), the humongous bill of this sly plan will become apparent.

All of that said, we should be looking at a couple of months of FX stability.
This is an unambiguous positive for the administration.
I still think Cardi B is in over his head.
But he has got his hard-fought W... for now.
At least, businesses should begin to notice an uptick in economic activity and those who had suspended japa plans should get back on the horse.

-Lord

I suspect you've got Fx demand data going by the conviction in your posts. CBN's play is to stabilize in the short term. Isnt Fiscal play supposed to the long term driver again?

There's been some remarkable growth lately in the FX reserves ( which has always been the main issue) so I suspect they can compete at least in the short to mid term.

I hope you also realize there's been some level of M3 repositioning and so long at its still Naira purchasing the dollar, this can be effectively be monitored/contained by the CBN.

Also the bolded is wrong, you are supposed to multiply not add. As basic as it seems, a lot of people keep making this mistake.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 7:01pm On Mar 21
Try dey understand sha

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ellexy: 7:03pm On Mar 21
OasisX:

grin

......again, you and off point. Your colleague in Obidient Camp shared a Screenshot to discredit CBN and FG.

I shared other part that throws more light to the story, but this you toeing path of your friend as expected - mob move. LOL!
Your problem most times is comprehension. Prosper shared a headline that said "Foreign Airlines Dispute CBN's claim of settled Fx backlogs."

With your agenda tainted glasses and biro, you rushed to crop and post one side of the disputing parties to run agenda while ignoring the other.

Seeing as you don't know what dispute means I had to intervene cheesy. That's why I told you the Headline was correct.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by User09: 7:06pm On Mar 21
Itsrm:

From what I understand about Fx backlogs, they wanted to repatriate USD, CBN gave them the naira equivalent at say 460 to a dollar with a promise to provide the dollar at a future date.

Now, CBN is asking them to convert that naira they were given back to USD at the NAFEM window. This means they will get far less value for the naira they hold.

It's unfair on them but I understand the position of the CBN.

Unfair on who?

Whose business is it to hedge their revenue proceeds?

As far as I know the counterparties to most FRA's in Nigeria is still CBN, so why would they lose in 2 folds?

Except there's been some payment terms agreement by the other CBN governor, they would have to take the hit

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 7:08pm On Mar 21
Ellexy:
Your problem most times is comprehension. Prosper shared a headline that said "Foreign Airlines Dispute CBN's claim of settled Fx backlogs."

With your agenda tainted glasses and biro, you rushed to crop and post one side of the disputing parties to run agenda while ignoring the other.

Seeing as you don't know what dispute means I had to intervene cheesy. That's why I told you the Headline was correct.

grin

......your mumuness is legendary. Read what your colleague posted again, but slowly this time around. LOL!

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 7:10pm On Mar 21
Itsrm:

That's the way I see it too. If the Naira had strengthened to 360, they would have rushed to cash it out of NAFEM.

It's one of the risks of doing business in an unstable environment as ours.

Yes. It's not fair to then but it's as it is.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 7:12pm On Mar 21
BlueRayDick:

Why didn't they repatriate the amount in dollars under Buahri when naira was a little bit stable against the dollar ?

I'm guessing it's because naija CBN didn't have enough dollars in the system to let go that period right ?

Yes, that what happened. That's what made their money stuck.

If they have a fx forward contract with the CBN, it will already specify the rate at which they will get their $$ but if they dont, they will get it at the current NAFEM rate.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 7:14pm On Mar 21
Ellexy:

I wonder what "disputing" means to these people at this point😮‍💨

6 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ellexy: 7:15pm On Mar 21
OasisX:

grin

......your mumuness is legendary. Read what your colleague posted again, but slowly this time around. LOL!
If you're half as smart as you think you are, you'll be twice as smart as you are right now to understand what dispute means. But no you're not.

7 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ellexy: 7:16pm On Mar 21
liveLongNprospa:

I wonder what "disputing" means to these people at this point😮‍💨
I wonder too

cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 7:17pm On Mar 21
Ellexy:
I wonder too

cheesy grin

Don't worry, he's a low level member.
You have tried🙏

6 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 7:19pm On Mar 21
larride:

Yes, that what happened. That's what made their money stuck.

If they have a fx forward contract with the CBN, it will already specify the rate at which they will get their $$ but if they dont, they will get it at the current NAFEM rate.

Well, I'm guessing CBN didn't just use word of mouth to tell them they will get their funds repatriated at so so rate in the future .

There must be an official communication to that effect. Whether such official document is now enforceable legally is mother thing entirely .

But one thing is obvious ; things like this don't boost investors confidence one bit .
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 7:25pm On Mar 21
patrickmuf:
https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2024/3/two-youths-die-in-cross-river-mining-site-2.html

Blueraydick, remember that discussion we had here.

Na wa o. So people just mine at their own convenience without having any clue
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 7:27pm On Mar 21
Ibime:

CBN is obliged to give them at N460 as that was the rate when they forwarded to CBN. The foreign exchange risk is on CBN

If true, nobody will bring their investment to Nigeria and expose themselves to such risk

Well you are right if they already have a fx forward contract with the CBN, I believe a fx forward contract will specify the rate in which they will get their $$ during reparations. So if the CBN is telling them they will get it their stuck funds at the current NAFEM rate, it means they dont have a fx forward contract.

I might be wrong though.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 7:29pm On Mar 21
Ellexy:
If you're half as smart as you think you are, you'll be twice as smart as you are right now to understand what dispute means. But no you're not.

grin

.....your colleague has shared another Epistle with no name, help him push it bro. Bird of a feather.

He accused FG of "propaganda" but na "dispute" be the koko. Since yeye agenda didn't fly, una want use style fold ba?! LOL!

Propaganda nor dey hard to dispel.

Give am time, truth go show up

- LLNP [2024]

3 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 7:30pm On Mar 21
TrebleChamp:

Must be ment. Make them kuku carry gun. grin
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 7:35pm On Mar 21
BlueRayDick:

Well, I'm guessing CBN didn't just use word of mouth to tell them they will get their funds repatriated at so so rate in the future .

There must be an official communication to that effect. Whether such official document is now enforceable legally is mother thing entirely .

But one thing is obvious ; things like this don't boost investors confidence one bit .

If the document exist, it is legally binding.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Amoto94(m): 7:44pm On Mar 21
larride:
Been a while we've seen Amoto here. I hope he's okay?
Thanks for your concern, I'm hale and hearty. Trust you are good, too?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ellexy: 7:48pm On Mar 21
OasisX:

grin

.....your colleague has shared another Epistle with no name, help him push it bro. Bird of a feather.

He accused FG of "propaganda" but na "dispute" be the koko. Since yeye agenda didn't fly, una want use style fold ba?! LOL!

He accused FG of propaganda lmao. This government is synonymous with propaganda na eg....

Dubai is back x2... grin

Subsidy gone... grin

Student loan will start in September.... grin

Minimum wage... grin

Palliatives... grin

Now FX backlogs cleared... grin

Meanwhile Cardi B manipulating the market and steadily cashing out. Breeze go soon blow and fowl nyash go show. grin

6 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 7:55pm On Mar 21
Ellexy:
He accused FG of propaganda lmao. This government is synonymous with propaganda na eg....

Dubai is back x2... grin

Subsidy gone... grin

Student loan will start in September.... grin

Minimum wage... grin

Palliatives... grin

Now FX backlogs cleared... grin

Meanwhile Cardi B manipulating the market and steadily cashing out. Breeze go soon blow and fowl nyash go show. grin

grin

......Oooin! You don finally let the cat out of the bag. If wishes were horses though. LOL!

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ellexy: 8:02pm On Mar 21
OasisX:

grin

......Oooin! You don finally let the cat out of the bag. If wishes were horses though. LOL!
I actually pray he does well, but propaganda won't help him oo. Anyway time is a revealer so we wait and see.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (4456) (4457) (4458) (4459) (4460) (4461) (4462) ... (4654) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: afrodoc2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.