Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,893 members, 7,817,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4555) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1439217 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4552) (4553) (4554) (4555) (4556) (4557) (4558) ... (4631) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ellexy: 11:10am On Apr 10
iamoyindamola:

Who get mind to hold the man for blokos šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Do the reverse your head will be on the spike
Deborah was murdered for less.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by ouzo1(m): 11:11am On Apr 10
Ellexy:
I will erect an altar for Tinubu

cheesy grin

I dey wait make Dem carry am reach 100naira cuz na 215 Tinubu and him Cousin Buhari been dey complain say e too high.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 11:11am On Apr 10
OasisX:

grin

.....any help he needs from FG to compete against foreign airlines shouldn't be delayed. If he needs more planes to lease, FG should help to fast track it.

You are truly a weapon fashioned against Onyema grin

Someone is crying that his customers are being taken away, you say make e lease more planes.

Wetin e wan use leased planes do? Carry ghosts?

grin
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ebukacute(m): 11:29am On Apr 10
iamoyindamola:

Una do Easter for us

#nogreeforanybody
Egbon sodik!!!!!
Who be the una? I am an otemite na. I don't celebrate Easter. Happy sallahšŸ˜
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ebukacute(m): 11:30am On Apr 10
OasisX:

grin

.....I don turn pope. Ramadan spirit still dey body.
šŸ˜šŸ˜
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Emaprince: 11:34am On Apr 10
Realmrsean:
šŸ™†
This is good.

Let it just get back to where it was before tinubu enter...and remain like that for 10months...atleast price of things will remain stable for a long time.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Roland17(m): 2:45pm On Apr 10
On Onyema

Onyema isnā€™t asking for a ā€œhand me downā€ from the government. What Onyema is asking for isnā€™t anything new across the world, including developed countries.

How do we incentivize local producers against multinationals in the face of globalization to encourage local entrepreneurs?

There are numerous policies/ legislations, tax breaks, incentives that should be afforded local companies, especially in developing countries like Nigeria competing from home.

There has to be some sort of ā€œhome advantageā€ that protects local companies. It is nothing new, it is done here in the US.

This debate is tunnel visioned on Onyema versus looking at it from a broader perspective as this affects every industry in the country. We are working hard to strengthen the Naira, this should be part of it.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Roland17(m): 3:00pm On Apr 10
I will use the auto industry here in the US as an example.

American car manufacturers (Ford, GMC, Chevrolet, etc) gets incredible amounts of tax breaks, monetary incentives, subsidies and other protectionist policies/ legislations to keep them competitive and afloat against international cars manufacturers like Toyota, Honda, Nissan.

Both companies are in the same industry but one gets home advantage.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 3:19pm On Apr 10
Roland17:
On Onyema

Onyema isnā€™t asking for a ā€œhand me downā€ from the government. What Onyema is asking for isnā€™t anything new across the world, including developed countries.

How do we incentivize local producers against multinationals in the face of globalization to encourage local entrepreneurs?

There are numerous policies/ legislations, tax breaks, incentives that should be afforded local companies, especially in developing countries like Nigeria competing from home.

There has to be some sort of ā€œhome advantageā€ that protects local companies. It is nothing new, it is done here in the US.

This debate is tunnel visioned on Onyema versus looking at it from a broader perspective as this affects every industry in the country. We are working hard to strengthen the Naira, this should be part of it.

Totally agree.

Protectionalism is very important especially for local manufacturers/companies.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 3:28pm On Apr 10
Roland17:

American car manufacturers (Ford, GMC, Chevrolet, etc) gets incredible amounts of tax breaks, monetary incentives, subsidies and other protectionist policies/ legislations to keep them competitive and afloat against international cars manufacturers like Toyota, Honda, Nissan.

This is beyond tax breaks and legislations

Watch the video again

Onyema specifically said it is impossible to make any profit by charging $350.

In his words, "If you fill the plane and put passengers on the wings, it is not enough to fuel the plane at $350"

Yet, some are charging $200. (Onyema said so)

My own suggestion is for the FG to have a meeting with the Foreign Airlines Union, and see how they can come together to keep Air Peace in the game.

If you like give Onyema tax break till 2031, these Foreign guys go carry Nigerians for 10,000 naira

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 3:36pm On Apr 10
izzou:

Watch the video again

In his words, "If you fill the plane and put passengers on the wings, it is not enough to fuel the plane at $350"

My own suggestion is for the FG to have a meeting with the Foreign Airlines Union, and see how they can come together to keep Air Peace in the game.

If you like give Onyema tax break till 2031, these Foreign guys go carry Nigerians for 10,000 naira

The only thing the FG can give to Airpeace is subsidies via tax break, waivers and the likes.

The moment the FG start telling other foreign airlines what they should charge and shouldn't charge, the FG is practically denying the operators the essence of free market.

It's all down to Airpeace to find a way to liase with the FG, strategize on how to sustain themselves in the long term in that cut throat business.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 3:36pm On Apr 10
šŸ“ŒšŸ“ŒšŸ“Œ

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 3:37pm On Apr 10
larride:

Totally agree.

Protectionalism is very important especially for local manufacturers/companies.

Okay , in this case what sort of protectionalism do u think will suit Air Peace .

Let's not forget that it was Onyeama himslef that brought the price reduction strategy in a bid to bite a chunk of the market share .

Will the government now ban other companies from reducing their own prices too in order to keep Air Peace afloat ? Won't that be defeating the aim of having competitors in order to have competitive prices in the market ?

Even going by how much interviews Onyeama has granted since this recent launch; he appears to be at loggerheads with those regulating our aviation sector here in Nigeria . A person who wants to enjoy the government's good graces does not go about having issues with almost all the agencies that have a say in his business operation in the country
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 3:38pm On Apr 10
Roland17:

Most important. All govt vehicles have to be Made in America

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by User09: 3:41pm On Apr 10
Roland17:
On Onyema

Slightly disagree.

Even in the interview, he alluded to the fact that the current pricing is just reflective of fuel/jet fuel cost - In other words; not sustainable. Well except he's in business to keep making loss(es)

So what is the long term plan then; Cos from what I see, it looks like this - Enter the market with the local player sentiment, get some form of penetration, then hike the price later/join them to form an oligopoly. This is a private company, I still cannot see the play here. And the market responded well in my opinion cos competition really is a good tool and should be a driving force in any growing/developed economy

Government should be regulation oriented, levelling the playing field and removing any form or restrictive pricing mechanism not giving hand me downs to any local player in every industry especially one that's not remotely profitable and subject to all kinds of risk(s)
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 3:43pm On Apr 10
larride:

The only thing the FG can give to Airpeace is subsidies via tax break, waivers and the likes.

The moment the FG start telling other foreign airlines what they should charge and shouldn't charge, the FG is practically denying the operators the essence of free market.

It's all down to Airpeace to find a way to liase with the FG, strategize on how to sustain themselves in the long term in that cut throat business.

.....I agree with your all points, damn valid. Its free market hence Government can't force other Airlines to sell tickets same price as Airpeace.

FG gonna support him, he is gonna compete and survive the industry.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:06pm On Apr 10
BlueRayDick:

Okay , in this case what sort of protectionalism do u think will suit Air Peace .

Let's not forget that it was Onyeama himslef that brought the price reduction strategy in a bid to bite a chunk of the market share .

Will the government now ban other companies from reducing their own prices too in order to keep Air Peace afloat ? Won't that be defeating the aim of having competitors in order to have competitive prices in the market ?

Even going by how much interviews Onyeama has granted since this recent launch; he appears to be at loggerheads with those regulating our aviation sector here in Nigeria . A person who wants to enjoy the government's good graces does not go about having issues with almost all the agencies that have a say in his business operation in the country

I dont believe Airpeace brought the price reduction strategy, I believe BA and Virgin has been ripping Nigerians off with high cost of fares of direct flights. What Airpeace brought to the market was competition and charging the normal rate that the flight should cost and not the exorbitant prices that BA and Virgin were charging.

What BA and Virgin are currently doing is charging way below the fair market fare so as to stifle out Airpeace from the market. This I believe is where the FG needs to protect Airpeace.

The only way I believe the FG can protect Airpeace is by giving him tax breaks, waivers and the likes to reduce his operational cost so it can compete favorably with the foreign airlines. The foreign airlines wont want to continue to make losses and they cant underprice the route for long. The FG just need to help Airpeace to withstand this initial storm.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:09pm On Apr 10
raumdeuter:

Most important. All govt vehicles have to be Made in America

Same should be done in Nigeria also. All our Govt cars from FG to NASS to SG and LG should be made in Nigeria.

Imagine the jobs that policy will provide for Innoson, Nord and the likes.

It will save us forex, create jobs and in the long run establish our own automobile industry.

If not anything. Most of our manufacturers need govt support at this moment for us to have an accelerated economy growth.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:11pm On Apr 10
OasisX:

.....I agree with your all points, damn valid. Its free market hence Government can't force other Airlines to sell tickets same price as Airpeace.

FG gonna support him, he is gonna compete and survive the industry.

We can only hope so.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Olowunl01: 4:19pm On Apr 10
BlueRayDick:

The Nigerian Govt can start with the below:
Facilitate seamless connecting flights to other airports (Enugu, PH)
Govt patronage
Priority Baggage Handling
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Olowunl01: 4:29pm On Apr 10
larride:

I dont believe Airpeace brought the price reduction strategy, I believe BA and Virgin has been ripping Nigerians off with high cost of fares of direct flights. What Airpeace brought to the market was competition and charging the normal rate that the flight should cost and not the exorbitant prices that BA and Virgin were charging.

What BA and Virgin are currently doing is charging way below the fair market fare so as to stifle out Airpeace from the market. This I believe is where the FG needs to protect Airpeace.
Exactly booked flight for my daughter to Naija from London on Virgin 2months ago, same flight now is $200 cheaper, normally prices would go up closer to her summer travel date, it's was cheaper for her come to Orlando almost 10hours than going to Naija 6hours, Why? We have a large population of Nigerian kids who would miss out on experiencing Nigeria if we allow these guys to continue price gorging us.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 4:36pm On Apr 10
Naso dem dey do for this America

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Roland17(m): 4:40pm On Apr 10
izzou:

Watch the video again

I don't think Onyema is accurately presenting his case because certain things like cost of fuel are going to be constant for every competitor in the market.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:44pm On Apr 10
Roland17:

I don't think Onyema is accurately presenting his case because certain things like cost of fuel are going to be constant for every competitor in the market.

True.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:47pm On Apr 10
Olowunl01:

Exactly booked flight for my daughter to Naija from London on Virgin 2months ago, same flight now is $200 cheaper, normally prices would go up closer to her summer travel date, it's was cheaper for her come to Orlando almost 10hours than going to Naija 6hours, Why? We have a large population of Nigerian kids who would miss out on experiencing Nigeria if we allow these guys to continue price gorging us.

Airpeace need to strategize on a medium and long term plans on how they want to survive this rough terrain.

BA and Virgin has huge war chest and can take losses for some period of time, can Airpeace take such losses without going under?

I just the Lagos to London route this afternoon and the Airpeace price is still the cheapest direct flight so I'm not sure where Onyema is seeing his own fares from.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 4:49pm On Apr 10
Roland17:

Businesses can choose to run at a loss for a while to drive competition out, its a concept known as predatory pricing and not exactly ethical either, that said its good Allen Onyema is doing what he's done, he's shown that these flights can be flown cheaper while getting margins.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 4:53pm On Apr 10
liveLongNprospa:
Naso dem dey do for this America
Classic case of Americans being uneducated about the rest of the world. He's failing at his job of detecting AI written texts and instead of admitting that his bias has played a role in that, he shifts goal post and makes it a money conversation.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Roland17(m): 4:53pm On Apr 10
Olowunl01:

The Nigerian Govt can start with the below:
Facilitate seamless connecting flights to other airports (Enugu, PH)
Govt patronage
Priority Baggage Handling

This!

These are examples that can help local entrepreneurs like AirPeace.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 4:54pm On Apr 10
larride:

The only way I believe the FG can protect Airpeace is by giving him tax breaks, waivers and the likes to reduce his operational cost so it can compete favorably with the foreign airlines. The foreign airlines wont want to continue to make losses and they cant underprice the route for long. The FG just need to help Airpeace to withstand this initial storm.
Exactly.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 4:58pm On Apr 10
larride:

Baba, there is no law that sets the amount of profit margin u can have added to ur cost price to derive selling price .

Air Peace thinks price reduction is a great strategy ; by cutting down on ur profit margin , u can get a large chunk of the market share .

Suddenly everybody follows his thought pattern and u discover that other companies can decide to go lower with their profit margin just to maintain their market share .

It's only Air Peace that can save itself and not government .
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 5:00pm On Apr 10
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 5:03pm On Apr 10

(1) (2) (3) ... (4552) (4553) (4554) (4555) (4556) (4557) (4558) ... (4631) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "mƩs Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: Ibime(m), Olamyyde(m), Bluelines69 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.