Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,679 members, 7,820,385 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

Albinism: A Curse Or A Blessing? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Albinism: A Curse Or A Blessing? (417 Views)

Chioma Blessing Obidigbo Emerges Top Performing Student In 2022 WASSCE / Albinism In Snakes. (photos) / Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Albinism: A Curse Or A Blessing? by Artisticity1: 3:34pm On Jun 20, 2022
majority of People Living with Albinism, Albinos in Nigeria suffer a high level of discrimination in the country.

Many Nigerians with albinism live in poverty and cannot afford education and basic healthcare. Relatively few cases of attacks against persons with albinism have been reported.

“Around 50 percent of persons with albinism interviewed process mental health issues. Another discovery concluded that in South-West Nigeria, negative myths greatly affect how persons with albinism are treated in sexual relationships. Individuals with albinism are also treated as outcasts, and in the field of employment

“Many who have managed to secure jobs work in special interest organizations. It is discovered that when a person with albinism own a corporation, the government may intervene by employing another individual without albinism in order to avoid poor business outcomes resulting from discrimination

“Albinism, a rare, non-contagious, genetically inherited condition found in both men and women, presents as a lack of melanin pigmentation in hair, skin and eyes, causing vulnerability to the sun and bright light.

“As a result` almost all people with albinism are visually impaired and are prone to developing skin cancer.

“Challenges of People Living with Albinism (PWA) and the struggle to live beyond the skin color, stigmatization, myths and the health challenges such as, crossed eyes, rapid eyes movements, impaired vision or blindness, sensitivity to light and sun exposure cannot be overemphasized.

“There is the challenge of stigmatization, discrimination, abuse, dehumanization and sometimes brutal killings for money rituals. People being plunged into poverty during the COVID-19 pandemic have led to an increase in killing of people with albinism.

“Sunburn is one of the most serious complications because it can increase the risk of developing skin cancer”, it stated.

But to me, I see albinism as a blessing. Very beautiful when well maintained and I wish that I will marry and albino in the future.

Thanks for reading...
What's your own thought on that

Re: Albinism: A Curse Or A Blessing? by pyro10(m): 5:20pm On Jun 20, 2022
How do I get albino as a girlfriend......the craving to give those pooshi heavenly race dey worry my mind daily

(1) (Reply)

2022 NECO Chemistry Practical - Qualitative Analysis (chemistry Of Reactions) / Resumption Directive: Stop Deceiving Students, ASUU Mocks Varsities / Datti Replies Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.