Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,779 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

The Real Story Of Pocahontas - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Real Story Of Pocahontas (722 Views)

Bbnaija: Diane Bursts Into Tears As Mercy Tells Story Of Her Family (VIDEO) / Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* / Watch AY Movie MERRYMEN - The Real Yoruba Demon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Real Story Of Pocahontas by legionISproteus: 1:16pm On Jun 21, 2022
Let me start off by stating that I did not know what a pocahontas is or any of that jazz. I recall hearing the name while growing up but it was something too posh for me to understand (grew up in the hood...lol)

Anyway, enter nairaland and I see some posts with the username pocahontas as the author. I can accept some of us take random names for our user profiles like me, however some of us pick names based on a story we were told and love.

I'm watching TV this morning and the news anchor starts talking about pocahontas and correcting the misconceptions of her story in the past. I say to myself, "why not find out what this thing is once and for all, I'm no longer in the hood and can probably know what it is".

My brothers and sisters, today is the day I found out Pocahontas was one of those Disney princess love stories of native American origin where she saves a guy from execution by her tribe and they go on to live happily ever after.

In reality, like a lot of Disney stories, this was not the truth. To summarize, it turns out pocahontas was kidnapped from her tribe by the invading british colonialists (boko haram style) at 10 years of age and married off to the so-called lover boy in the story. She died at 21 years old.

Good job Disney, or who ever the author of this story was. You can not bury the truth for ever, even if you alter it with lies in children's stories.

This link is for those who have 11 minutes, data, and care to know a bit more about the real story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZMvyfDKMoQ

1 Like

Re: The Real Story Of Pocahontas by endsarrrs(f): 1:30pm On Jun 21, 2022
Nice one OP
The British haunted a lot of natives
Re: The Real Story Of Pocahontas by EmekaBlue(m): 1:43pm On Jun 21, 2022
im quite sure the cooking lady answering that moniker here doesn't even know the story.

Nice video. I enjoyed it
Re: The Real Story Of Pocahontas by godofuck231: 1:57pm On Jun 21, 2022
Her tribe sued Disney for a huge sum for that cartoon , they were shocked when the red Indians gave the right account and they were aware of the true story but decided to paint it to esthetics

1 Like

Re: The Real Story Of Pocahontas by ogyunging(m): 3:26pm On Jun 21, 2022
Thanks. Really glad I stumbled on this post.

(1) (Reply)

Minions - The Rise Of Gru / Gulder Ultimate Search What Do You Think / Got Real Stories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.