Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* (30844 Views)

The Wedding Party 2 & 'Merry Men' Are Now Showing On Netflix / #AgbadaChallenge: Photos From The Premiere Of 'Merry Men' / Watch AY Movie MERRYMEN - The Real Yoruba Demon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by UjSizzle(f): 11:34am On Oct 15, 2018
I'll keep this short and simple.

I couldn't decide if it was an action movie with the Robin Hoodesque theme, a comedy considering the cast, or a beauty parade for the same reason as the second. Or maybe it was all three.

The plot was bland and lacklustre, but the dialogue was interesting (no depth though).

I could spot one glaring faux pas in the movie and wondered how the director and editors missed it. It was so glaring I was appalled. P.S Falz was involved.

There were an array of fancy casts, but sadly, many of them had zero role to play and only further weakened an already weak plot. In fact it's safer to assume their presence was simply to make the movie look colourful. Some scenes appeared unnecessary and were likely included to make the movie move beyond the 1hr 30mins mark. I didn't get the point of them at all.

The only things the movie had going for it were the presence of a very fine cast, comedians/funny humans and fancy wardrobe choice. Cinematography was decent although the camera angles in the fight scenes and gun shots were puke inducing. The sound was clear and not characterised by that irritating thing common with nollywood where the background soundtrack drowns or significantly interferes with the dialogue (Wedding Party was guilty of this, too).

If you're expecting suspense I advise you go watch "A Quiet Place" or "A Simple Favour". This movie doesn't provide any of that as most of the scenes could be predicted, except perhaps towards the end and even that would be disappointing for movie buffs who have spent years bingeing Hollywood

You'll laugh a lot and not be bored to sleep, that's a given. But it isn't a movie you'd consider seeing a second time-- especially not in a cinema-- and there were no fantastic, awe-inducing moments in it.

Verdict:
5/10

P.S. Ramsey Nuoah looked like fine wine kiss

Seen it, what do you think?

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by bobo65(m): 11:43am On Oct 15, 2018
I'm not expecting much

Just like wedding party 2

I'll see the movie this Sunday tho

1 Like

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by UjSizzle(f): 11:59am On Oct 15, 2018
bobo65:
I'm not expecting much

Just like wedding party 2

I'll see the movie this Sunday tho

Lol you're better off going with zero expectations cheesy

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by SaintHilary(m): 12:03pm On Oct 15, 2018
Just like black panther... overrated
3k still paining me till tomorrow angry

92 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by Demgohearword: 12:03pm On Oct 15, 2018
nice review
Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by obaataaokpaewu: 12:04pm On Oct 15, 2018
Saw it yesterday. It was just there
The lady I went with to see it was "hurrying" me that's it was late( we joined the 5:10pm session) that she wanted to go. I just change am for her inside the hall, how I go pay 4k for the two tickets and then leave half way angry

56 Likes

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by oshe111(m): 12:04pm On Oct 15, 2018
I'm surprised U were expecting much from AY though......

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by Hardewarlee(m): 12:05pm On Oct 15, 2018
To be sincere Nigeria film industry are trying hard ... I have seen Merry men twice n I enjoyed it .

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by ruggedtimi(m): 12:05pm On Oct 15, 2018
i Enjoyed the car race between ramsey nouah and that babe. A.y said some funny lines...And the almighty proprosal at the last scene.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by L0NGFELLOW1(m): 12:06pm On Oct 15, 2018
The review already made me hate the movie

11 Likes

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by omooba969(m): 12:06pm On Oct 15, 2018
Ok
Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by abdulkayus(m): 12:08pm On Oct 15, 2018
See them. Them don start. Always badmouthing someone hardwork.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by evavista: 12:09pm On Oct 15, 2018
I slept off while watching, the story line was wack, Nigerian directors should just stay on their love stories.The last scene (the Proposal) was nice sha undecided

29 Likes

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by sirusX(m): 12:09pm On Oct 15, 2018
L0NGFELLOW1:
The review already made me hate the movie

It wasn't there like that but it was a nice movie all the same

2 Likes

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by gen2briz(m): 12:10pm On Oct 15, 2018
Ok
Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by xynerise: 12:10pm On Oct 15, 2018
30days in Atlanta was where I called it a quit. Money wey I for use prepare better soup.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by Artzdanielsz(m): 12:13pm On Oct 15, 2018
Sending myself a Happy Birthday message and a reminder: younger people often expect those who are older than them to have a lot of knowledge and to give really good advice. It is time to start spending the remainder of my days in hiding!
Nairaland show me love biko

50 Likes

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by GentleMoney: 12:13pm On Oct 15, 2018
Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by ponti93(m): 12:14pm On Oct 15, 2018
Sometimes i wonder which is worse b/w the nollywood movies that hit the cinemas and those that don't... The difference is mostly camera and costume. Seeing a nollywood movie at the cinema is a waste of money, time and intellectual exercise.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by Rexnegro(m): 12:14pm On Oct 15, 2018
i go wait till I can collect or download it .. no money to go waste.

3 Likes

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by kamez(m): 12:14pm On Oct 15, 2018
saw the movie last weekend at the cinema with a friend...

all the hyping na wash.... but I wasn't surprised, cos it wouldn't be the first time that I will be disappointed in an overhyped nollywood movie.....

my friend enjoyed it though, cos she kept laughing throughout.. but its just not my kinda movie

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by QueenAmanda(f): 12:15pm On Oct 15, 2018
Nollywood my foot

1 Like

Re: Review Of "Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons" *no Spoilers* by Culin(f): 12:15pm On Oct 15, 2018
We don't even have a cinema where I could watch in this town but I already predicted it was just going to be one of those over hyped high-budget films.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

#BBNaija: Fight Between Frodd And Seyi Over Alcoholic Beverages (Photos) / Profile Of Sheggz, Bbnaija Season 7 Housemate / The Best Yoruba Film Ever?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.