Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,616 members, 7,820,185 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Is 'crocodile Tears' Just An Idiomatic Expression - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is 'crocodile Tears' Just An Idiomatic Expression (190 Views)

Idioms And Idiomatic Expressions ; Drop Your Idioms And Their Meaning / Why Are False Tears Called Crocodile Tears? / Can You Identify 30 Idiomatic Expressions In This Picture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is 'crocodile Tears' Just An Idiomatic Expression by TheBeezybee(f): 1:43pm On Jun 22, 2022
Stop shedding crocodile tears".
You might have heard or made this statement. The statement means an expression of sorrow or remorse that is insincere.
I think I have done such to avoid being punished as a child �.

Do you know that the expression 'Crocodile tears' is derived from crocodiles shedding tears? No? Yes it is.

Crocodiles really do shed tears while they eat their prey. Mind you, this is not because they feel guilty for their actions �. On the contrary, they relish such moment. it's just a feeding behaviour. The tears are produced as a result of the hisses and huffs they make while devouring their prey.

It's just like you consuming that hot spicy delicious meal and you make some inaudible sounds. Then some liquids come trickling down from your nose or tears drip out from your eyes (You know how it is �).

So, the statement 'crocodile tears' is not just an idiomatic expressions but a statement of fact. �

So tell me, have you ever shed crocodile tears? �

Re: Is 'crocodile Tears' Just An Idiomatic Expression by Deborah98(f): 2:02pm On Jun 22, 2022
Yes naaaa na today. When the matter no too concern me and I don't want to be seen as a sabo or hypocrite na to join them shed tears or even laugh depending on the situation.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Truth About IELTS Exams And Studying In Canada / Mathematical Games, Whether Played With Their Parents Or Teachers, Are Beneficia / Ocpotech Harmattan Semester Examination Time Table

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.