Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,276 members, 7,867,724 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 10:28 PM

Buhari: Why I Ignored Advice To Remove Fuel Subsidy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari: Why I Ignored Advice To Remove Fuel Subsidy (178 Views)

Why I Ignored Labour Party National Convention — Peter Obi / Tinubu: I Will Remove Fuel Subsidy, Your Protests Won’t Stop Me / 'Buhari, Why Do You Like Blood?' - Uche Secondus Asks President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari: Why I Ignored Advice To Remove Fuel Subsidy by ijustdey: 6:30pm On Jun 22, 2022
President Muhammadu Buhari has defended his decision not to heed the calls by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank and other leading economists...

By Muideen Olaniyi

President Muhammadu Buhari has defended his decision not to heed the calls by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank and other leading economists to remove the fuel subsidy.

The President spoke on the matter in an interview he granted Bloomberg.

He said the western allies were now learning the hard way what looked good on paper but with human consequences if implemented.

When asked to explain the reasons for not heeding the advice to remove the fuel subsidy and unify the exchange rate after many years, Buhari said: “Most western countries are today implementing fuel subsidies. Why would we remove ours now? What is good for the goose is good for the gander!

“What our western allies are learning the hard way is what looks good on paper and the human consequences are two different things. My government set in motion plans to remove the subsidy late last year. After further consultation with stakeholders, and as events unfolded this year, such a move became increasingly untenable. Boosting internal production for refined products shall also help. Capacity is due to step up markedly later this year and next, as private players and modular refineries (Dangote Refinery, BUA Group Refinery, Waltersmith Refinery) come on board.

“The exchange rate is still susceptible to external shocks that can suddenly and severely affect Nigerian citizens. As we step up domestic production – both in fuel (enabled by PIA) and food (agricultural policies) – the inflationary threat shall diminish, and we can move toward unification.”

https://dailytrust.com/buhari-why-i-ignored-advice-to-remove-fuel-subsidy

Lalasticlala
Re: Buhari: Why I Ignored Advice To Remove Fuel Subsidy by CleanInAll: 6:31pm On Jun 22, 2022
Failure. Begin to pack your load.
Re: Buhari: Why I Ignored Advice To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Fahdiga(m): 6:32pm On Jun 22, 2022
Because you are an all round failure
Re: Buhari: Why I Ignored Advice To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Fahdiga(m): 6:33pm On Jun 22, 2022
CleanInAll:
Failure. Begin to pack your load.
Exactly. Peter Obi is coming in
Re: Buhari: Why I Ignored Advice To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Frigga13: 6:37pm On Jun 22, 2022
Apc absolutely nothing on agriculture... people don’t farm .. Na Dey one wey affect me pass ..

Bandits kidnapped one of my farmer last year on farm..
now we pay them to farm .. is bad .. price of food is increasing high..

While Apc look the other way

Thank God is over..

Power to the people for sustainable Agriculture and a strong economy..

Pdp is a rested trusted party ..

Power to the people
North 2023
Re: Buhari: Why I Ignored Advice To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Ezehillary(m): 7:10pm On Jun 22, 2022
And somebody is telling to vote a man that want to start from where this fraud stop , anyway i can never because i am obidient

(1) (Reply)

Will South South Leave A Christain And Vote Muslims / Tinubu Full Birthday Message And Wishes To Femi Gbajabiamila (pix, Video) / Justice Tanko Muhammad, Nigeria's Chief Justice, Resigns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.