Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,923 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Studying and Working In South Africa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Studying and Working In South Africa (13201 Views)

SUV Carrying US Holiday Makers Plunges Into River In South Africa (Photos) / Anyone Studying In Portugal!!!! / Attention: Nigerians Living And Working In UAE (dubai) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Studying and Working In South Africa by Sekso(m): 3:48pm On Jul 23, 2011
Hello Nairalanders,
I got myself a 3 months multiple South African visa with a condition of spending SEVEN (7) days holiday. This is in line with the request on my application form. I thought it would mean less emphasis on staying back hence boost my chances for a 6months visitor visa like some people talk about here. However, do well to answer the following queries in thesame format am presenting them. They are:
1. How do I extend my stay on arrival at S.A for a 3weeks? period?
2. I may return shortly after am back in Naija! Can I get formal jobs with my BSc certificate (2.1) in accounting from a Naija school?
3. South Africa universities request that our certificate be evaluated by SAQA before applying to their schools. This takes over 6months. By implication, am too late for next year's admission. Can anyone hint me of schools that do not require SAQA as a condition for entry into a masters program
Thanks in anticipation, my good friends. But noone should see any economic advantage here by trying to woo customers. Just post all you can to educate us.
God bless you all IJN.Hello Nairalanders,
I got myself a 3 months multiple South African visa with a condition of spending SEVEN (7) days holiday. This is in line with the request on my application form. I thought it would mean less emphasis on staying back hence boost my chances for a 6months visitor visa like some people talk about here. However, do well to answer the following queries in thesame format am presenting them. They are:
2. I may return shortly after am back in Naija! Can I get formal jobs with my BSc certificate (2.1) in accounting from a Naija school?
3. South Africa universities request that our certificate be evaluated by SAQA before applying to their schools. This takes over 6months. By implication, am too late for next year's admission. Can anyone hint me of schools that do not require SAQA as a condition for entry into a masters program
Thanks in anticipation, my good friends. But noone should see any economic advantage here by trying to woo customers. Just post all you can to educate us.
God bless you all IJN.
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by xreal: 2:55am On Jul 24, 2011
@ OP

There is no way you can escape your certificates/certification from
been evaluated by SAQA(for postgraduate prog.). Fine, you may
have your Visa or be in S.A but SAQA evaluates before any institution
admits anyone with a foreign certification.
However, SAQA may not take as long as 6 months -as stated; they got
'duration/plan' for the Certificate to be processed, it depends on
what 'plan' you subscribe for.
IMO, its better you apply for it while you are in S.A.

All the best.
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by Sekso(m): 6:21am On Jul 24, 2011
@ Xreal, thanks a bunch for your help. Perhaps, you are not so sure of how to answer my other questions. But am grateful all thesame. God bless you.
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by Arextex(m): 2:40pm On Jul 25, 2011
@OP

I think he has answered all, there's no way you can do without evaluating your qualification with SAQA.
For all other answers to your question, go to www.dha.gov.za and check if you will normally qualify to extend your stay or not and also the process of getting a work permit if you do get a job.
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by collinsfbi(m): 8:06pm On Jul 25, 2011
@xreal,
Are u sure of what you are saying here? Who told you that anybody with foreign certificate cannot be admitted until SAQA evaluate such certificate? You better get things clear b4 you come here to give pple wrong information. SAQA only evaluate your certificates b4 one can be allow to work and not studies. If you doubt me then I will refer you somewhere else to confirm for urself. Beside, evaluation does not take a long time when you have the original documents upon application.

Gbammmmmmmm over and out
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by xreal: 9:08pm On Jul 25, 2011
collinsfbi:

@xreal,
Are u sure of what you are saying here? Who told you that anybody with foreign certificate cannot be admitted until SAQA evaluate such certificate? You better get things clear b4 you come here to give pple wrong information. SAQA only evaluate your certificates b4 one can be allow to work and not studies. If you doubt me then I will refer you somewhere else to confirm for urself. Beside, evaluation does not take a long time when you have the original documents upon application.

Gbammmmmmmm over and out

Maybe I forgot to emphasize on 'gaining admission for any Postgraduate Course; LEGALLY'. Says S.A's Law.

Both Work and Postgraduate studies, and not work alone.

Please don't refer NLs to any thing/where false or illegal.
Thanks.
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by collinsfbi(m): 11:21pm On Jul 25, 2011
See my friend am not talking of "then say" am talking of reality. I applied to UNISA last year along side a colleague of mine and we were offerred admission to their research master which I later changed my mind. In my bid not to let him down, I assisted him in getting a visit visa which he travelled with and he got his study permit about 2month upon arrival and up til this moment his certificates has not been evaluated. So stop giving false info to pple here. If you need proof then I will give you his personal phone number to call him and confirm this or I will refer you to his FB account to confirm same. At d same time I will be glad if you can quote that South African Law from its source. For ur information, he's not a member here so don't wait till I will refer you to a member here.

Gbammmmmmm over and out

1 Like

Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by xreal: 4:57am On Jul 26, 2011
^^^
lol
Bro. you make me laugh in Afrikaans.

You talking of UNISA?  well, my comments on that are reserved.
But, if you care to know, I am a Tukkies'  (Alumnus).
These guys have stable policies than NG - more so, educational.

By the way, applying for a Study Permit outside S.A, you need
to tender your SAQA.(irrespective of the  institution).

Pls advise your friend to take a 'walk' to SAQA House, and do what he is to do; else,
he might have issues with the authorities someday.

My 2 cents.
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by collinsfbi(m): 9:09am On Jul 26, 2011
lol
Bro. you make me laugh in Afrikaans.

You talking of UNISA? well, my comments on that are reserved.
But, if you care to know, I am a Tukkies' (Alumnus).
These guys have stable policies than NG - more so, educational.

By the way, applying for a Study Permit outside S.A, you need
to tender your SAQA.(irrespective of the institution).

Pls advise your friend to take a 'walk' to SAQA House, and do what he is to do; else,
he might have issues with the authorities someday.

My 2 cents.

Stop talking rubbish, if you like you can laugh your head off. I don't care where you are, you are only claiming to know everything but you only know little. If I may ask, what is wrong with UNISA being a research post-graduate school? I don't think you can read very well or understand me at all, who is talking about applying for a study permit outside SA? The person am talking about got his admission with his transcript and the photocopy of his documents and later tender all the original document on registration and he got his study permit without evaluating anything though he's working on his evaluation now but he was only asked to pay the repatriation fee and provide medical insurance in jo’burg home affairs with the other documents he got from his school such as evidence of tuition payment, admission letter and others. For your information, you don't need to advise him to take a walk to SAQA office because he knows better than you do already.

Note: It’s important to evaluate certificates in SA both for schooling and working purposes but most schools in SA still admit international students without evaluation in the first places and it's not a compulsion thing for schools to admit students whose certificates have been evaluated. Evaluation is just a guideline to compare foreign qualification to South Africa qualification and not binding on any institution or used as a yardstick for admission. So stop deceiving pple here. Read for yourself here: http://www.iaci-canada.com/saqa.php

Gbammmmmmmmmmmmmmm over and out
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by wesley80(m): 11:36am On Jul 26, 2011
Collins is right, the evaluation from SAQA is not a prerequisite for admission - at least not in all schools. It is compulsory for certain schools like Wits and i think UCT but other schools like Stellenbosch and Rhodes which are also top schools do not make it compulsory.
@OP, admission is still open in a number of those schools so dont shut your doors just yet.
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by xreal: 12:04pm On Jul 26, 2011
@ collins
Now I realise u a child. Must you rain insults just to back your points?
Contradiction is what you 've achieved here so far.

BTW, why can't your friend go ahead without applying for the cert?
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by collinsfbi(m): 1:08pm On Jul 26, 2011
Collins is right, the evaluation from SAQA is not a prerequisite for admission - at least not in all schools. It is compulsory for certain schools like Wits and i think UCT but other schools like Stellenbosch and Rhodes which are also top schools do not make it compulsory.
@OP, admission is still open in a number of those schools so dont shut your doors just yet.
see me ooo my brother, i wonder why dis xreal guy is giving wrong info and discouraging pple here?

@ collins
Now I realise u a child. Must you rain insults just to back your points?
Contradiction is what you 've achieved here so far.
So you can be annoyed, i hate having issues with pple like you on this forum because you just come here to post whatever you like without confirmation. If i may ask you, what is contradicting in what i have said so far? Besides what could be more insultive in my comment than your words "you make me laugh in Afrikaans." though it's very simple in nature but connotatively you have turned me to jester who could not communicate anything reseanable. Meaning i don't know what am saying and in a single word meaning "rubbish". That is why i gave you back d same thing but now i don't know why your coconut head want to enter BRT lane? Anyway i trust you, why must be worship on the expressway, why would you hug a an electric transformer?

BTW, why can't your friend go ahead without applying for the cert?
For your information, he can decide not to evaluate anything if not because someone promise to get him a job, ok. So you can justify yourself and tell me who is playing childish game.

Gbammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm over and out
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by wesley80(m): 2:07pm On Jul 26, 2011
No need to fight guys, i'm due in SA at the end of the year and i'm using the opportunity to run a prog at one of their uni's so i'm really curious about answers to the other part of the OP's question though i'm a bit certain one cant work fulltime with a visitors visa while a study permit has restrictions on hours of work allowed. So does anyone know better?
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by collinsfbi(m): 2:45pm On Jul 26, 2011
I don't think it is possible unless someone is deceiving you or advising you to claim asylum. You can only extend your stay by applying to a school and apply for your study permit which is a little bit difficult, because you will need to pay repatriation fee, provide Health Insurance, school receipt, bank statement, SA guarantors and many more docs and it's going to cost you much.

I can't discourage you but God can do it if you can append some professional certificates. I mean SA qualification because they don't have much recognition for Nigerian certificates. Mind you, it’s hard to get work in SA but there is nothing God cannot do.

South Africa universities request that our certificate be evaluated by SAQA before applying to their schools. This takes over 6months. By implication, am too late for next year's admission. Can anyone hint me of schools that do not require SAQA as a condition for entry into a masters program
This has already been answered, evaluation from SAQA is not a prerequisite for admission except some schools want you to do b4 admitting you. It can be done easily in SA if you have the original copy of your certificate and it will not take much time and if you want to do it from naija then you have to send it to somebody there to do it for you.

I think i have helped in my own little way.

Gbammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm over and out
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by wesley80(m): 4:39pm On Jul 26, 2011
I guess the only way one can work as a student wld be parttime which allows for about 20hrs in a week and fulltime in between semesters for those carrying a STUDY VISA.

@Collins, i'm heading for *** (not concluded yet though) and would appreciate some first hand info so if u dont mind, i'll  appreciate the contact of your pal that's already out there. If its ok by u pls mail it to ***. Thanks
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by collinsfbi(m): 6:56pm On Jul 26, 2011
My broda, i am sorry 2discourage u, if u are really interested in goin 2 SA 2study, always put working at d back of ur mind because it may be d other way round. As for my friend, i talk 2him n get back 2u 2moro.

Gbammmmmmmm over and out
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by wesley80(m): 7:51pm On Jul 26, 2011
^^^ I'm not actually going there seeking for a job, i've got that aspect pretty much settled and whatever the case, i'll be in the country next year. The admission at Stell is stalling somewhat and i'm thinking of applying somewhere else before all the doors slam shut. The Stell process was straight forward as everything was online and is my first choice but i dont want to risk missing out alltogether.
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by collinsfbi(m): 11:58pm On Jul 26, 2011
@wesley80,
If you are looking forward to apply to any school in SA, then the course you wanna apply for will determine the school you will apply to. At the same time, you have to put things like tuition cost, cost of living, accomodation into consideration b4 you apply. What level of programme are you applying for; undergraduate_p or masters_p?

Gbammmmmmm over and out
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by Sekso(m): 12:22am On Jul 27, 2011
Guys! You are all wonderfully made. Most of the contributions here is comic yet disillusioning! I guess it's not so rosy going to S.A to find a job. Wao! Mind blowing. But there are a few more queries: 1. As mentioned above, I was issued a 3month multiple visitor's visa with a condition of spending 7days holiday. A friend of mine in S.A said I can be in for 3weeks if I wanted without any negative implication on my chances when applying another time. This was after he pointed out to me that visas can only be extended after visa is expired or a few days to expiration. True? 2. I may want to try the USA embassy on my return (student or conference) since S.A doesnt yet meet my aspirations! Can my deliberate extension of the 7days holiday affect my travelling integrity? Thus hamper my chances? 3. Anyone with a more realistic knowledge of the process and duration of getting a S.A Work/residence permit if they mean thesame thing? Some guys already told me it's about 70k. Please don't blame me. I've got no job here. I need to move on. Cheers! My friends and Thanks a lot.Guys! You are all wonderfully made. Most of the contributions here is comic yet disillusioning! I guess it's not so rosy going to S.A to find a job. Wao! Mind blowing. But there are a few more queries: 1. As mentioned above, I was issued a 3month multiple visitor's visa with a condition of spending 7days holiday. A friend of mine in S.A said I can be in for 3weeks if I wanted without any negative implication on my chances when applying another time. This was after he pointed out to me that visas can only be extended after visa is expired or a few days to expiration. True? 2. I may want to try the USA embassy on my return (student or conference) since S.A doesnt yet meet my aspirations! Can my deliberate extension of the 7days holiday affect my travelling integrity? Thus hamper my chances? 3. Anyone with a more realistic knowledge of the process and duration of getting a S.A Work/residence permit if they mean thesame thing? Some guys already told me it's about 70k. Please don't blame me. I've got no job here. I need to move on. Cheers! My friends and Thanks a lot.
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by wesley80(m): 2:03pm On Jul 27, 2011
collinsfbi:

@wesley80,
If you are looking forward to apply to any school in SA, then the course you wanna apply for will determine the school you will apply to. At the same time, you have to put things like tuition cost, cost of living, accomodation into consideration b4 you apply. What level of programme are you applying for; undergraduate_p or masters_p?

Gbammmmmmm over and out

Like i said, i'm already through with my application process and i'm just waiting for a response. I was told my admission wld be at the discretion of the faculty for certain reasons , i'm employed and it so happens that i'll be in SA in the coming year and i wanted to use the opportunity to run an Msc prog. I do not want to miss out on the admission so i'm considering backing up my initial application but dont have enough info aside the scanty ones i've gathered online. If u know enough about the school pls send a blank mail to my box so i can send in my query. Thanks

@OP,
Sorry but your enquiries r much too technical for meial application but dont have enough info aside the scanty ones i've gathered online. If u know enough about the school pls send a blank mail to my box so i can send in my query. Thanks

@OP,
Sorry but your enquiries r much too technical for me.

Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by pakoto: 3:03pm On Jul 31, 2011
You can also try vut.ac.za
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by scopusng(m): 12:30pm On Aug 01, 2011
I was issued a 3month multiple visitor's visa with a condition of spending 7days holiday.

So why wasting your time. They gave you a condition of spending 7days holiday. Pls make i rest jare.
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by collinsfbi(m): 3:18pm On Aug 01, 2011
@Collins, i'm heading for *** (not concluded yet though) and would appreciate some first hand info so if u dont mind, i'll appreciate the contact of your pal that's already out there. If its ok by u pls mail it to ***. Thanks
Your mail ID did not show
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by wesley80(m): 7:16am On Aug 02, 2011
^^^ I edited it out after a few days cos i didnt want it permanently displayed. Its #****.com . Thanks.
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by collinsfbi(m): 10:08pm On Aug 02, 2011
@wesley

Pls can u send a msg to my number: 07083617692 so that I can get back to u in time, I hardly work on the system dis days and I try to send u a mail with hotmail thru my phone but it was go thru and I don't know maybe u hv recivd any mail from me. Anyway just text me now and I will get back to you immediately but don't forget to come back here and share ur findings so that others may gain from it.

Gbammmmmmm over and out
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by collinsfbi(m): 10:42pm On Aug 02, 2011
@wesley

Never mind my mistakes oooo, I was typing with a phone, so I couldn't read all over again. Actually, I tried to contact u thru my hotmail but it wasn't going thru. Just text me and I will get back to u.

Gba¤mmmmmm over and out
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by sunnshyn(f): 8:21pm On Aug 17, 2011
Tnks in Anticipation.
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by sultan003(m): 11:58pm On Aug 18, 2011
Not all universities in south africa requires SAQA evaluation. Out of the three schs(stellenbosch uni, uni of pretoria and uni of joburg) dat I applied for masters only uni of joburg wanted the SAQA Certificate.
SAQA evaluation doesn't waste time, dats is depending on d plan u choose. I paid for 10 working days, but the evaluation was done in 6 working days. The only problem am facing nw is NIPOST and their wahala.
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by collinsfbi(m): 9:46am On Aug 19, 2011
Informative stuffs here. I came into SA with a visiting visa but iv applied for an extension. Still waiting for ∂ outcome. Im trying τ̲̅ȍ scout for schools. UNISA's still admitting until ∂ 15th of sept. But iv got issues wit thier requirements for an MSc. I need help seriously. If anyone's studying in any University in SA or Unisa, or have information on application processes for MSc do pls get in touch wit me: apeach16@yahoo.com. Collinsfbi, Xreal and others, Plsssssss
Thanks in Anticipation.

If you are in Pretoria, text me on the above number and i will give you his phone contact and you meet him in school, am sure he might be of help, if possible take you to ur dept and make first class enquiry. Nevertheless, come back here and share ur experience with others.

Gbammmmmmmmmmmm over and out
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by collinsfbi(m): 1:58pm On Aug 19, 2011
@wesley, still waiting for u to come back here and share ur expereince, you've got what u needed from me and from him and never bother to look back, mind you that is not so good.

Gbammmmmmmmmmmmmm over and out
Re: Studying and Working In South Africa by wesley80(m): 4:09pm On Aug 20, 2011
^^^ Bros you harsh o. Anyway I understand where u're coming from. Actually there isnt much to talk about as concerns experience, like i said earlier i'd already applied and was trying to kind of shore up my chances and your pal helped me out big time with the application in one of the schools over there and his info have been very very handy.

I'm sure i can help out if there are specific questions concerning things i'm informed about but certain things are simply beyond my scope.

(1) (2)

Ibom Air Today Celebrate One Million Passengers / Car Snatcher From Benue Arrested In Enugu State. Photos / IRS Airplane Collides With Truck At Lagos Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.