Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,879 members, 7,828,131 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

Examples Of Terrible Writing In Popular Books. (photos) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Examples Of Terrible Writing In Popular Books. (photos) (426 Views)

Learn Content Writing In 4 Steps / Book Lovers Talk About Popular Books They Do Not Like / Going Outside Can Improve Your Creative Writing In These 3 Ways (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Examples Of Terrible Writing In Popular Books. (photos) by Nobody: 4:07am On Jun 26, 2022
In my quest to add new material to my library, I came across some books that were so terrible, I couldn't get past the first page. How these books managed to get published still remains a mystery to me.

The only explanation for this type of writing is that the writers were purposefully trying to make a caricature of literature, because I don't know how anyone can be confident enough to write and publish this twaddle.

I will continue to update this thread as I discover more badly written books.
Re: Examples Of Terrible Writing In Popular Books. (photos) by Nobody: 4:26am On Jun 26, 2022
The first book I'll make mention of is the book titled: I do not come to you by chance by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani.

I really had high hopes for this book and expected it to be a worthwhile read, but I was extremely disappointed.

When reading books, I really don't care about the story as much as I care about the writing, particularly the prose. If a book is well written, I'll read it, regardless of the plot.

This book by Adaobi Tricia was just so bad, I was already cringing at the first page. It's obvious the writer was trying to be creative with words and infuse some metaphors and personification into her prose, but her execution was a failure.

In her opening sentence she writes:

"My taste buds had been hearing the sound of my mother's cooking and my stomach had started talking."

In another paragraph she writes:

"The piece of meat looked up at me and laughed. I would have laughed back but there was nothing to laugh about in this situation."

I mean, come on! Really? How does a piece of meat laugh? How can taste buds hear? The whole point of personification as a figure of speech is to attribute human actions to something non-human or abstract. So what exactly is she doing?

The first chapter of this book is replete with this sort of cringy word-play. I don't know about the other chapters because I couldn't make it through the first. Also, the prose is just disjointed and clunky, as if it wasn't polished by an editor. You notice a series of monotonous similar sounding sentences that make for a very dull read.

This Chimamanda wannabe should find another job. She certainly doesn't have the talent for writing.

1 Like

Re: Examples Of Terrible Writing In Popular Books. (photos) by Nobody: 4:35am On Jun 26, 2022
Juxtapose the nonsense up there with the opening chapter from the book: Half of a Yellow Sun written by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Notice how she weaves figures of speech into her writing, but does it in a way that is creative, compelling, and graceful. Her prose flows effortlessly.

This is how to write.

2 Likes

Re: Examples Of Terrible Writing In Popular Books. (photos) by MMWandali: 4:46am On Jun 26, 2022
Re: Examples Of Terrible Writing In Popular Books. (photos) by Codepain: 6:44am On Jun 26, 2022
The piece of meal looked up to me and laugh is so off-putting.
I agree with you on this one
Re: Examples Of Terrible Writing In Popular Books. (photos) by meobizy(f): 11:24am On Jun 26, 2022
For some reason I liked it. You knew what she was doing and still complained. My problem with books is the patience required to finish them, I'd rather browse the Internet. The book you criticised will entertain a Caucasian looking to read something less formal than he/she is used to. One man's poison is another's meat in this case.

There is nothing special to writing. In this day and age where almost everyone types comments online we are all capable of creating literature.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Set This? / Glitz And Glamour From “sakadelli 2: Give Me A Break” Launch / Why Haven't You Read The Hottest Dorm Story? The Secret Lives Of Dorm Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.