Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,028 members, 7,818,032 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election (40234 Views)

Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful / Obasanjo: I Have Seen Three Olu Of Warri, I Don’t Want To See Fourth Coronation / Falae: Fear Of Probe Made Military Manipulate 1999 Election In Obasanjo's Favour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Ijoba85: 8:04am On Jun 26, 2022
I guess you were young then , votes or no votes , OBJ would still be president because he was picked by the northerners to pacify the yoruba people over the death of MKO
thesicilian:
You didn't make any mistake, you chose the person you thought was most likely to give you the most northern votes for you to win. You made a mathematical calculation without giving any thoughts for morality or integrity. It's what you all do when you are desperate to win an election.
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Udemzy05: 8:06am On Jun 26, 2022
Who is giving this old nuisance attention?

This man is a disgrace to this country.
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by pat077: 8:06am On Jun 26, 2022
datola:
It will be Nigeri's greatest mistake if Atiku is elected as next president.

His own Fulani agenda will be worse than the present. And corruption will be institutionalized.

Atiku is too greedy and inconsiderate. How can you be scheming for another 8 years Nothern misrule.

same way Tinubu is scheming to be president after yoruba has don 8 years under obj and osibanjo is about to complete 8 years as vp while another part of the South has done a single year as president or vp in the present dispensation. So, it's about personal interest.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Jack500: 8:08am On Jun 26, 2022
Timfreds:

So what point have you just made now, different from the person you are attacking?

Mr man, use your brain.
They are different, the first guy said Atiku gave OBJ votes, the guy you quoted said 'no' because ObJ has won the election already, without ATiku being his running mate, the originals running mate died, ATiku is just beneficiary.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by favor914: 8:09am On Jun 26, 2022
Advancedman:

Forgiveness is not forgetfulness and lessons learned sticks with constant reminder to forewarned self and others.
Obasanjo hates Atiku because when in 1998 he was selected straight out of prison, it was only for 1 term he agreed, then comes 2002, baba said he wants second term.

Atiku & his strong machinery in pdp backed by most progressive Governors lead by the likes of James Ibori said no, baba begged them on hands & knees, after much pleading they agreed, he won a second term, then turned to a demon, tormenting all his supposed enemies from Tinubu to Atiku, then comes 2006, Baba starts pushing for 3rd term.

Very ironic case of the devil pointing his claws @ others, never looking @ his face in the mirror.
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by pat077: 8:10am On Jun 26, 2022
Parachoko:
Most of you guys just love saying rubbish. If you are ask for evidence Obasanjo choose Atiku because of Northern votes now, you won't be able to back up your claim with facts.

Obasanjo choose Atiku as his vice President after he won the presidential election. Atiku contested to become the Governor of Adamawa and he won the election.
so who was on the ballot with him as his vp?
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Throwback: 8:10am On Jun 26, 2022
Parachoko:
Most of you guys just love saying rubbish. If you are ask for evidence Obasanjo choose Atiku because of Northern votes now, you won't be able to back up your claim with facts.

Obasanjo choose Atiku as his vice President after he won the presidential election. Atiku contested to become the Governor of Adamawa and he won the election.

Dude, you are the one saying rubbish here.

In 1999, Atiku of PDP debated on national TV with Umaru Shinkafi who was the Vice-Presidential candidate of AD/APP ticket.

Yes Atiku won the Governorship in Adamawa, but after his victory he accepted to be Obasanjo's running mate before the presidential election was held. His own gubernatorial running mate, Boni Haruna, was sworn in as Governor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by achimendy(m): 8:11am On Jun 26, 2022
dadabryth:
In every mistake, there's always a reason.

Baba, please correct your mistakes by supporting Tinubu for President come 2023.

The last thing Obasanjo will do is to endorse Tinubu for president.
If you've being studying Nigeria politics very well you'll know that those two are not friends, since from when Tinubu was the governor of lagos state.

Obasanjo can never support atiku and tinubu.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by favor914: 8:13am On Jun 26, 2022
Jack500:

Mr man, use your brain.
They are different, the first guy said Atiku gave OBJ votes, the guy you quoted said 'no' because ObJ has won the election already, without ATiku being his running mate, the originals running mate died, ATiku is just beneficiary.
Nonsense fabrication to fit your lie, who was the original running mate?

Without Atiku’s bloc in pdp (Which was the carry over from the sdp) Obasanjo would never have won the convention, Alex Ekwueme was schemed out.

Obasanjo was a Nobody in pdp in 1998, he hijacked the party structure in 2002.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Jollof15: 8:17am On Jun 26, 2022
Timfreds:

So what point have you just made now, different from the person you are attacking?

His point is, the election was already done and obasanjo had won when he picked atiku to be vp, meaning the choice of him as vp had almsot nothing to do with votes
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by favor914: 8:18am On Jun 26, 2022
Throwback:

Dude, you are the one saying rubbish here.

In 1999, Atiku of PDP debated on national TV with Umaru Shinkafi who was the Vice-Presidential candidate of AD/APP ticket.

Yes Atiku won the Governorship in Adamawa, but after his victory he accepted to be Obasanjo's running mate before the presidential election was held. His own gubernatorial running mate, Boni Haruna, was sworn in as Governor.
Don’t mind them, you know what you are talking about.

Obasanjo that was brought out of prison, penniless & broke, them Atiku were the ones that sewed agbadas for him when he was freed, because prior to going to jail baba was a farmer & only wore shokoto, always dressed like a Yoruba farmer.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by LagBlogger(m): 8:19am On Jun 26, 2022
Parachoko:

Atiku was nominated as PDP Governorship candidate for Adamawa which he dropped after Obasanjo chose him as Vice.

You cannot chose a vice president after an election. It does not happen anywhere in the world. Both of them are elected together.

It was Boni Haruna that won the Governorship election.

Obasanjo chose Atiku because of his political base in the North East to counter Umaru Shinkafi's stronghold in the North West.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Jollof15: 8:19am On Jun 26, 2022
Jack500:

Mr man, use your brain.

Many many illiterates on this forum, then they come to discuss business and politics and things which they have no comprehension of. I swear one really must wonder, is democracy the most suitable system for our african countries

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by favor914: 8:26am On Jun 26, 2022
Jollof15:

His point is, the election was already done and obasanjo had won when he picked atiku to be vp, meaning the choice of him as vp had almsot nothing to do with votes
Who knew Obasanjo, was he with them when Pdp was conceived & put together?

His point is that it was them Atiku that gave Obasanjo the pdp presidential ticket, and why did they support Obasanjo? Atiku is Late General Yaradua boy, who took over the political machinery after Yaraduas death.

And who was Late General Yaradua’s best friend? Olusegun Obasanjo, that was why Obasanjo sort a 3rd term & when refused, he gladly gave it to his late best friend’s brother who was terminally ill the President after him, which infuriated Atiku & co.

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by xarm(m): 8:30am On Jun 26, 2022
Pls keep on the argument, I'm learning, i don't know much about 1998/1999 Nigeria election
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Jack500: 8:30am On Jun 26, 2022
favor914:
Nonsense fabrication to fit your lie, who was the original running mate?

Without Atiku’s bloc in pdp (Which was the carry over from the sdp) Obasanjo would never have won the convention, Alex Ekwueme was schemed out.

Obasanjo was a Nobody in pdp in 1998, he hijacked the party structure in 2002.

But did you know Atiku contested for Adamawa governorship then, is it possible for one seeking to be vice president to still contest for governorship?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by favor914: 8:32am On Jun 26, 2022
Parachoko:

The elected laws of Nigeria have changed, Abubakar Atiku is a strong force in politics, that was why Obasanjo needed him.

In 1993, Abubakar contested the SDP presidential primaries. The results after the first ballot of the primaries held in Jos was: Moshood Abiola with 3,617 votes, Baba Gana Kingibe with 3,255 votes and Abubakar with 2,066 votes. Abubakar and Kingibe considered joining forces combining 5,231 votes to challenge Abiola. However, after Shehu Yar'Adua asked Atiku Abubakar to withdraw from the campaign, with Abiola promising to make him his running mate. Abiola was later pressured by SDP governors to select Kinigbe as his Vice-presidential running mate, in the June 12 presidential election.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by favor914: 8:36am On Jun 26, 2022
Jack500:

But did you know Atiku contested for Adamawa governorship then, is it possible for one seeking to be vice president to still contest for governorship?
Nigeria was just returning to democracy, trial & error, the electoral law today, is different from 1999.

Tinubu was a Senator, Otedola was a Governor in the 90’s for almost 2 years, did Nigeria have an elected President?

The electoral laws have changed.
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by garfield1: 8:50am On Jun 26, 2022
LagBlogger:

Atiku was nominated as PDP Governorship candidate for Adamawa which he dropped after Obasanjo chose him as Vice.

You cannot chose a vice president after an election. It does not happen anywhere in the world. Both of them are elected together.

It was Boni Haruna that won the Governorship election.

Obasanjo chose Atiku because of his political base in the North East to counter Umaru Shinkafi's stronghold in the North West.

Atiku has no base anywhere.he is a loser.
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Adakintroy: 8:59am On Jun 26, 2022
You did not pick they gave you. There was not much power in you coming from prison. Say it the way it is.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Parachoko: 9:02am On Jun 26, 2022
favor914:
The elected laws of Nigeria have changed, Abubakar Atiku is a strong force in politics, that was why Obasanjo needed him.

In 1993, Abubakar contested the SDP presidential primaries. The results after the first ballot of the primaries held in Jos was: Moshood Abiola with 3,617 votes, Baba Gana Kingibe with 3,255 votes and Abubakar with 2,066 votes. Abubakar and Kingibe considered joining forces combining 5,231 votes to challenge Abiola. However, after Shehu Yar'Adua asked Atiku Abubakar to withdraw from the campaign, with Abiola promising to make him his running mate. Abiola was later pressured by SDP governors to select Kinigbe as his Vice-presidential running mate, in the June 12 presidential election.
Did Obasanjo choose Atiku before the election held or after the election held?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by BJanta: 9:23am On Jun 26, 2022
gerrardomendes:
Obi is coming...

With a third class degree in Philosophy the cheapest course in the university, and with a mouth cursed to do nothing, but lie?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Nobody: 9:28am On Jun 26, 2022
babkazy:
Baba tried his best , the only but in his government was the third term saga

Best kor, best ni. With that useless 1999 constitution made to favour him and other past and current politicians?
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by JBoss25(m): 9:31am On Jun 26, 2022
Daguga:

The Baba is very daft, he is meant to be regretting that he did not fix the nation when he had the chance to. They are all part of Nigeria's problems including the bros in Aso Rock.
The one is Aso Rock has put Nigeria into a irredeemable state
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Prince111111: 9:32am On Jun 26, 2022
Anybody he supports ends up defeated in the real sense grin
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Nobody: 9:35am On Jun 26, 2022
Parachoko:

So what exactly is your point compared to who you are quoting, shift abeg
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Nobody: 9:35am On Jun 26, 2022
JBoss25:
The one is Aso Rock has put Nigeria into a irredeemable state

grin
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Cajal(m): 9:36am On Jun 26, 2022
Baba is stylishly making way for TINUBU
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by RaptorX: 9:40am On Jun 26, 2022
So why then did you support him for his 2019 presidential bid, or you knew he will never defeat Buhari just doing eye service.
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by midform(m): 10:08am On Jun 26, 2022
Bluntemperor:

He forgave him but Baba Owu cannot forget because scar has impact on the flesh, unlike the original! Always be aware there is enemies within!
A Question for this great Forum:
Since Baba Olusegun Obasanjo knew so much was stolen by the VP and even stated it in his 'My Watch' why couldn't he sacked him then?
Was there a Constitutional limitations place on him because most Governor do treat their Deputy with levity?
There're more constitutional provisions for vp that deputy governors. It's easy for the governor to render deputy governor useless and redundant unlike vice president. Obasanjo could only remove Atiku by impeachment but Atiku had most of the law makers in his pocket.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by LagBlogger(m): 10:08am On Jun 26, 2022
garfield1:

Atiku has no base anywhere.he is a loser.

Ok. Go on contest election against him in Yola or Gombe, then let us see how you will fare.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wike, Ortom, Ugwuanyi, Ikpeazu, Makinde Meet In Enugu Over Peter Obi / Boko Haram's Fuel Suppliers Arrested By Army (photos) / Kwankwaso, Others Pull Out Of APC; To Sign MoU With PDP - This Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.