Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,581 members, 7,958,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 01:11 AM

Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) (1683 Views)

Ondo Church Attack: Blood Donors Needed At Federal Medical Centre Owo / Pastor Enenche Commissions Messiah Medical Centre In Jos / COVID-19: A Medical Team From China Coming To Nigeria Soon - Osagie Ehanire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by Nigeriayouthmov: 7:10am On Jun 26, 2022
I am not writing this to get at any doctor in particular but what I have noticed is how careless many health workers are when doing Thier jobs. It's now a normal thing to get wrong diagnosis in Nigeria that so many people now have to go to multiple hospitals before they are sure of a test result. I don't really know why this is so because I don't want to judge in a haste like someone told me the reason for this is because they are after the money which they deem important than the life they are saving.

"I took someone to the hospital late at night and on getting there they asked the family to deposit 35k for something. 30k was deposited and 5k was the balance yet these guys refused to go ahead with the treatment and they were even talking of taking the patient away because they don't want a dead person in their hospital. God used the secretary to rescue the patient as she came in and told the doctors that the 5k should be taken off her salary pending when the family brings it."

Another case I have noticed is that the doctors we have are not enough and they have so many people waiting to be attended to that they have to do some things in a hurry as seen in most government hospitals.

Any of the above reasons should not be enough reason for a life to be lost because it cannot be create or undone. Here is a case of Valentine Kachi a 27 year old hustler from Abuja currently battling cancer and what wrong diagnosis has done to him. I believe if some of these cases are handled properly, there will be a reduction with time.

1 Share

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by RedMac: 7:12am On Jun 26, 2022
Same old story same old problem...
Priority has never and will never be given to the most important things in this country

1. Education zero
2. Security zero
3. Health zero
4. Welfare of the common man zero
5. Politicians (corruption) wonderfully doing well

4 Likes

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by silvoclaira: 7:13am On Jun 26, 2022
shocked

Nigeria doctors to patient ratio is one doctor to ten thousand patients. Is as that bad!

Things are really wrong with almost everything in this country

I DONT BLAME SENATOR EKWEREMADU FOR GOING TO THE UNITED KINDOM TO HAVE A KIDNEY OPERATION FOR HIS DEAR CHILD

MAYBE THEY WOULD HAVE KILLED THE KIDNEY DONATOR AND ALSO THE KIDNEY RECEIVER

3 Likes

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by vastolord4(m): 7:13am On Jun 26, 2022
Nigeria? Haba.. no professional body is serious in this country anymore

1 Like

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by Jashub: 7:17am On Jun 26, 2022
This has opened my understanding as to why people now subscribe to herbal remedies instead of going to hospitals for treatment . In fact, the medical field in Nigeria is just one big scam and it seems like it's now focused on incompetence rather than professionalism .

Anyway, it's still God that has the final cure to all illnesses , and I wish the victim speedy recovery IJN lipsrsealed
Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by Deborah98(f): 7:34am On Jun 26, 2022
RedMac:
Same old story same old problem...
Priority has never and will never be given to the most important things in this country

1. Education zero
2. Security zero
3. Health zero
4. Welfare of the common man zero
5. Politicians (corruption) wonderfully doing well

And someone is telling me that certificate or no certificate one certain old man should rule. I'm now asking myself if this person comes into power it means all these sectors you rated zero will be minus zero then.... God help us.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by RedMac: 7:49am On Jun 26, 2022
silvoclaira:
shocked

Nigeria doctors to patient ratio is one doctor to ten thousand patients. Is as that bad!

Things are really wrong with almost everything in this country

I DONT BLAME SENATOR EKWEREMADU FOR GOING TO THE UNITED KINDOM TO HAVE A KIDNEY OPERATION FOR HIS DEAR CHILD

MAYBE THEY WOULD HAVE KILLED THE KIDNEY DONATOR AND ALSO THE KIDNEY RECEIVER

In as much as priority is never given to health in this country, then expect worse to happen

A country where Doctors welfare is zero...
But senators welfare is priority

1 Like

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by silvoclaira: 7:51am On Jun 26, 2022
RedMac:

In as much as priority is never given to health in this country, then expect worse to happen

A country where Doctors welfare is zero...
But senators welfare is priority
I agree with you

2 Likes

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by Eniitankorede: 7:55am On Jun 26, 2022
For those of us in the field long enough, we know this as spot diagnosis of osteosarcoma of the long bone. It’s a highly aggressive cancer. But for the young inexperienced ones, they may not quickly get it. But adequate examination and investigation can help in diagnosis and management plans.

1 Like

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by Parachoko: 8:02am On Jun 26, 2022
Nigeriayouthmov:
I am not writing this to get at any doctor in particular but what I have noticed is how careless many health workers are when doing Thier jobs. It's now a normal thing to get wrong diagnosis in Nigeria that so many people now have to go to multiple hospitals before they are sure of a test result. I don't really know why this is so because I don't want to judge in a haste like someone told me the reason for this is because they are after the money which they deem important than the life they are saving.

"I took someone to the hospital late at night and on getting there they asked the family to deposit 35k for something. 30k was deposited and 5k was the balance yet these guys refused to go ahead with the treatment and they were even talking of taking the patient away because they don't want a dead person in their hospital. God used the secretary to rescue the patient as she came in and told the doctors that the 5k should be taken off her salary pending when the family brings it."

Another case I have noticed is that the doctors we have are not enough and they have so many people waiting to be attended to that they have to do some things in a hurry as seen in most government hospitals.

Any of the above reasons should not be enough reason for a life to be lost because it cannot be create or undone. Here is a case of Valentine Kachi a 27 year old hustler from Abuja currently battling cancer and what wrong diagnosis has done to him. I believe if some of these cases are handled properly, there will be a reduction with time.
They can be sued, but to get justice very fast in Nigeria is not easy, the case can go on for more than 7 years in the Federal High Court.

There should be a timeline cases can last in Nigeria. A lot of people are languishing in prison for years and no b say the Court don sentence them to jail.

Our justice system should be revamp.

If our Justice system is revamp and starts functioning effectively, believe me, it will help us a lot in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by Thomthom(m): 8:04am On Jun 26, 2022
That's how a doctor that called himself a gynaecologist.. wanted an operation for my pregnant wife.. I told him I don't want any operation for my wife.. let her deliver by herself... Na so we drag so tey I vex carry my wife go meet one nurse for Area.. that night she delivered.. with this act I begin to see some doctors are not even qualified to treat.. How about 5 scan be telling us that everything is fine but doctor was just shouting Operation here and there.. Thank God for Education I for loose guard make them tear my wife bele that night

2 Likes

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by Parachoko: 8:06am On Jun 26, 2022
Thomthom:
That's how a doctor that called himself a gynaecologist.. wanted an operation for my pregnant wife.. I told him I don't want any operation for my wife.. let her deliver by herself... Na so we drag so tey I vex carry my wife go meet one nurse for Area.. that night she delivered.. with this act I begin to see some doctors are not even qualified to treat.. How about 5 scan be telling us that everything is fine but doctor was just shouting Operation here and there.. Thank God for Education I for loose guard make them tear my wife bele that night
There should be a Government agency this kind of case should be report to. The gynaecologist needs to be suspended or his licence revoked entirely.

1 Like

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by Thomthom(m): 8:21am On Jun 26, 2022
Parachoko:
There should be a Government agency this kind of case should be report to. The gynaecologist needs to be suspended or his licence revoked entirely.
The thing just tire me. I wonder how many woman they will just be doing operation for any how... The Woman Nurse that we don't even talk to in the Neighborhood that delivered her.. I was so confused that night I was having 5 different scan on me, all were saying the same thing.. It seems it was spirit of God that told me to carry all the scan to show the woman.. I left home about 8pm in the evening to meet the woman I greeted her and I told her to pls help me read the scan.. She red the scan and told me that the only problem is that the breath of the child is reducing my wife should come for one injection immediately.. After the injection, she gave my wife some tablet to lick about 9.30 my wife was already shouting and screaming of labour pain, by 10.15pm baby boy don show.. I just give glory to God because the frustration wasn't here

1 Like

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by TONYE001(m): 8:54am On Jun 26, 2022
Eniitankorede:
For those of us in the field long enough, we know this as spot diagnosis of osteosarcoma of the long bone. It’s a highly aggressive cancer. But for the young inexperienced ones, they may not quickly get it. But adequate examination and investigation can help in diagnosis and management plans.

Chief, if he had gone to a teaching hospital, a final diagnosis would have been done by an SR and most likely confirmed by the consultant in charge of the team...

Young doctors (HO's and residents) usually clerk and present to the consultant. This is how clinics are run.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by TONYE001(m): 9:00am On Jun 26, 2022
Thomthom:

Was this in a private or government hospital?

Was the child your wife's first? You remember the estimated birth weight of your child? Has your wife had any operation in the past.... Like an operation to remove a fibroid?

1 Like

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by Eniitankorede: 9:33am On Jun 26, 2022
TONYE001:

Chief, if he had gone to a teaching hospital, a final diagnosis would have been done by an SR and most likely confirmed by the consultant in charge of the team...

Young doctors (HO's and residents) usually clerk and present to the consultant. This is how clinics are run.

I went through the system you are talking about. A resident who is not able to diagnose osteosarcoma by clinical assessment and examination even before imaging needs to be supervised for his competency and knowledge. Imaging and biopsy are confirmatory procedures. This should be topmost on the list of differential diagnosis.

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by deen84(m): 10:17am On Jun 26, 2022
I think they have a a body named Nigeria Medical Society or thereabout that such case can be reported to

1 Like

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by Nebes: 10:43am On Jun 26, 2022
TONYE001:

The average Nigerian automatically seems to be against the Nigerian doctor without ever understanding the medical system in Nigeria.

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by haggai247: 11:04am On Jun 26, 2022
This is not only in Nigeria in the us too as strange as this sound the leading cause of death is misdiagnosis or poor handling of patients.
Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by TONYE001(m): 11:08am On Jun 26, 2022
[quote author=Eniitankorede post=114166285][/quote]

True, sir, I agree.

Osteosarcoma can easily be picked as a top differential by senior medstudents, as a matter of fact.

Truth is we don't know the circumstances that may have prevailed at the time of presentation. I honestly think it was wrong for the doc to declare it a benign lesion without asking for a biopsy and imaging.

Misinforming the patient must have made him relax and "forget about it" hence allowing the pathology to progress to irreversible extents.

1 Like

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by TONYE001(m): 11:10am On Jun 26, 2022
[quote author=Nebes post=114167961][/quote]

Another truth.

But we really can't say what transpired since we weren't there.

I suggest a formal complaint should be made and the case notes should be retrieved and investigated.

If guilty of negligence, the doctor should be appropriately disciplined.
Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by seborrhic: 12:18pm On Jun 26, 2022
Every stage is a blame.
The hospital that at first didn't tell you is cancer is to be blamed.
The one that is now treating you for the cancer is also to be blamed for "overdosing you".
I bet if they didn't start treating you or resorted to surgery,the patient would still have blamed them for doing surgery.I won't even be surprised if he later comes to blame the treating hospital for placing him on chemotherapy instead of doing surgery.
If this doesn't work,the next blame would be why they started treatment in the first place instead of referring him to India.
One sided story to put fault on others as usual,typical of the Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by Laird(m): 1:25pm On Jun 26, 2022
The patient always has a story. The doctor always has their own version

Sometimes one is correct and the other is not. A lot happens in hospitals and there is a lot of wear and tear, transfer of aggression, grumbling due to lack of money to pay for drugs and treatments, poor pay commensurate to work load, unhappiness by people that they are ill, work stress by medical staff

It is multi faceted

About the Guy who declined C.S for his wife, You and your wife were not just lucky things didn't go South

2 Likes

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by Nigeriayouthmov: 4:24pm On Jun 26, 2022
seborrhic:
Every stage is a blame.
The hospital that at first didn't tell you is cancer is to be blamed.
The one that is now treating you for the cancer is also to be blamed for "overdosing you".
I bet if they didn't start treating you or resorted to surgery,the patient would still have blamed them for doing surgery.I won't even be surprised if he later comes to blame the treating hospital for placing him on chemotherapy instead of doing surgery.
If this doesn't work,the next blame would be why they started treatment in the first place instead of referring him to India.
One sided story to put fault on others as usual,typical of the Nigerian.

Have you eve complained about the government at any point in your life?
Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by seborrhic: 6:14pm On Jun 26, 2022
Nigeriayouthmov:

Have you eve complained about the government at any point in your life?
Why should I complain about goverment in a matter that doesn't concern them?
Does it not sound prospesterous to you that the man in question first complained that the first hospital didn't tell him he had cancer;then the second overdosed him,based on his own narrative?
Does commonsense not tell you this is an individual wanting to take people or organisations down with him,having got the life changing diagnosis of cancer?
In any hospital anywhere in the world,a doctor cannot see you on a first visit and give you a definitive diagnosis of cancer.
It's even worse in Nigeria where when you tell someone there is a suspicion of that kind of ailment and there is need for further definitive tests and scans,they either rebel or refuse to do the tests due to the exorbitant cost.
When they now continue getting bad healthwise,with obvious signs of a debilitating disease to everyone and having tried many acclaimed magical herbs or native doctors,with no improvement,they then rally round for the tests,that having confirmed the cancer diagnosis,they now turnaround to accuse the initial institution of not informing them on time.
There is nothing you would tell me about this kind of case that would surprise me because I know how the mindset of such people work;they rather deflect blame and look for someone person to blame,other than themselves,so that they and their loved ones and acquaintances can channel their grievances to that organisation or person to give them something to hold unto as the cause of their ailment and overlook whatever fault may have been that of the patient through his/her lifestyle or neglect of taking initial actions prescribed.
Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by TONYE001(m): 7:12am On Jun 27, 2022
Laird:
The patient always has a story. The doctor always has their own version

Sometimes one is correct and the other is not. A lot happens in hospitals and there is a lot of wear and tear, transfer of aggression, grumbling due to lack of money to pay for drugs and treatments, poor pay commensurate to work load, unhappiness by people that they are ill, work stress by medical staff

It is multi faceted

About the Guy who declined C.S for his wife, You and your wife were not just lucky things didn't go South

Exactly!

It is unlikely that a certified doc would recommend CS when there is no clear reason. Patients do not understand a lot of things that go down...and I blame the docs, in part. Most docs just prescribe and recommend treatment protocols without appropriately explaining to the patient WHY. To argue in the favour of docs, the workload makes this tough...as everyone wants to shorten consultation time and see the next patient.

Otherwise, if it's at the hospital where the wife had her ANC, delivery options and complication preparedness is a discussion that is initiated by the provider from the first day...the booking visit, infact...each visit, the books recommend that the doc takes the patient through this discussion...again, and again.

Once an indication for CS is identified, the doc must have told them long before delivery...unless it's an emergency CS....Still, the doc would have prepared them for possible emergencies.

Let's just thank God things didn't go bad.

1 Like

Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by Nigeriayouthmov: 9:15am On Jun 27, 2022
seborrhic:

Why should I complain about goverment in a matter that doesn't concern them?
Does it not sound prospesterous to you that the man in question first complained that the first hospital didn't tell him he had cancer;then the second overdosed him,based on his own narrative?
Does commonsense not tell you this is an individual wanting to take people or organisations down with him,having got the life changing diagnosis of cancer?
In any hospital anywhere in the world,a doctor cannot see you on a first visit and give you a definitive diagnosis of cancer.
It's even worse in Nigeria where when you tell someone there is a suspicion of that kind of ailment and there is need for further definitive tests and scans,they either rebel or refuse to do the tests due to the exorbitant cost.
When they now continue getting bad healthwise,with obvious signs of a debilitating disease to everyone and having tried many acclaimed magical herbs or native doctors,with no improvement,they then rally round for the tests,that having confirmed the cancer diagnosis,they now turnaround to accuse the initial institution of not informing them on time.
so you mean it's wrong for the guy to speak about what happened? Let's assume a doctor give your family member a drug overdose and he or she dies as a result, will You blame your family member or the doctor? What if your family member had fever but was diagnosed and treated of fiver and the fiver hit worse and he died, will you also blame your family member or the doctor? I don't see any way the guy was wrong is speaking about his experience, check his page and you will see a timeline of all that has transpired, he is trying to be strong and to fight the sickness with hopes that he will come out alive.

Lastly, the part You mentioned lifestyle is really funny because I have seen a child of 5 with kidney problem, my childhood classmate died of liver problem, we see children of 10 with cancer and so we see drug lords living till old age, so what's your point? Good health is a gift and we are lucky to have that precious gift, nothing more....
Re: Can You Sue A Medical Centre For This (photo) by Laird(m): 12:00pm On Jun 30, 2022
TONYE001:

Exactly!

It is unlikely that a certified doc would recommend CS when there is no clear reason. Patients do not understand a lot of things that go down...and I blame the docs, in part. Most docs just prescribe and recommend treatment protocols without appropriately explaining to the patient WHY. To argue in the favour of docs, the workload makes this tough...as everyone wants to shorten consultation time and see the next patient.

Otherwise, if it's at the hospital where the wife had her ANC, delivery options and complication preparedness is a discussion that is initiated by the provider from the first day...the booking visit, infact...each visit, the books recommend that the doc takes the patient through this discussion...again, and again.

Once an indication for CS is identified, the doc must have told them long before delivery...unless it's an emergency CS....Still, the doc would have prepared them for possible emergencies.

Let's just thank God things didn't go bad.

Nigerian's refuse operations alot despite medical advice. Religious brainwashing and unrealistic optimism

Even saw a case years back of a lady refusing C.S that a pastor said that if she did C.S, she would die. When the labour wanted to kill her, she opted for the C.S and she did not die

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Ike Ekeremmadu Pocketed N400m Meant For Building A Kidney Centre In Enugu / Malaria Chemotherapy: Artemisin Combination Therapy ! Is It The Right Option / Miracle Drink

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.