Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,806 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis (14860 Views)

Nigeria Facing Worsening Economic Crisis, Says IMF / Economic Crisis: Governors Advise FG To Pay Off Civil Servants Above 50 / Kaduna State Adopts Measures To Respond To Looming Economic Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by gentlegenius(m): 1:18pm On Jun 28, 2022
Tianamen1:

The government should also consider reducing the cost of governance by reducing the number of MDA (implementing the Oronsaye report) and reducing public servants allowances and pay.
You have spoken so well...
This is why we need Peter Obi.
He alone can do this for us.

1 Like

Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by gentlegenius(m): 1:27pm On Jun 28, 2022
Tianamen1:
Jack005
Edoboy90
Penguin2

Of the 4 presidential candidates, if things remain as there are, it is my belief that Emi lokan will win. Of these four, Peter Obi is by far the most competent. Of these 4, I am supporting Kwankwaso.
What!
Are you sure this is actually what you wanted to type?
That Peter Obi is the most competent? But you are supporting a less competent person(Kwankwaso), and believing the worst among them(Tinubu) to win?
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by oooabbeyooo: 1:49pm On Jun 28, 2022
Ojuntana:

Really?

GEJ did not end badly? The President Jonathan, the clueless one, badluck Jonathan the buffoon who ran the most corrupt govt and birthed dasukigate and maduekwe?

It is generally accepted that any govt that is voted out is a failure. Do you know one of Jonathan's faults and also Buhari's we their inability to entrench discipline in their cabinets and give a strong sense of direction?

If Tinubu can't be strong enough to monitor things and give sense of direction to his ministers, he will end as bad as Jonathan or Buhari.
Secondly, like I already said, there are some things that can be done at state level with Kyle rancor but will face serious issues at federal. Even TSA has not been fully implemented till now. Ippis is now looking like a bad thing. If you think the presidency is similar in challenges to governor then you haven't grasped the complexity of Nigeria.

BAT can do well, but his health challenges will be a major impediment and when shit hits the roof, he'll drop the ball. Look at the opposition to the ikorodu road demarcation you're talking about. Just imagine for example it is the restructuring of federal revenue to reflect production from each state you're talking about to be carried out by an ailing president. How will he defend it?
Every government has got its shortcomings. If you talk of dasukigate and maduekwe in president Jonathan's regime someone might tell you about transcorp Hilton under president Obasanjo and Mr Babachir lawal under president Buhari and the plague of debt trap.
As much as I don't support curruption in any form, I really don't want to rundown president Jonathan's administration even now that we have so many bad policies tearing the economy apart which is tantamount to incompetence; another form of curruption.

With regards to the issue of entrenching direction to the cabinet I think that is where HE BAT has prowess. Coordination of cabinet should not be an energy sapping activity. You need to give it to president Buhari for compoture and steadfastness in time of national crisis (#insecurity issues, #endsars & #Covid-19). Most times I think the reason for his courage during crisis is because he doesn't have an idea of the implication or magnitude of the situation. But with his bad health he is able to push through. Coordination of cabinet is about charisma which HE BAT has for sure. Even at old age they will still follow and act your scripts: evident in Hon Gbajabiamila saying he is indebted to HE BAT.
I don't think HE BAT will let go at any time during his administration considering his political influence across the nation but instead I expect him to be able to pull strings and propagate policies and fast track their implementation.
I believe he will put together a great team that will run a great government. I expect a lot of ambitious projects and unprecedented turnaround in key sectors of the economy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 28, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

Deep insights from you there @babaolofin.

It seems you were in that government at that time to have such insider information. I don't doubt your submission because it is NOT EVERYTHING that you find in the public domain. In fact all the politicians from opposing camps are very close friends and they meet in social clubs to fraternise. grin

The Dangote Refinery not opening in late 2023 will be dire because of the Russo-Ukraine war, and increase in fuel price worldwide, including the global inflation that is already in full effect and biting hard on citizens of major countries of the world.

These video interviews with the American billionaire investor Ray Dalio will give you more insights on what is coming up. The government in Nigeria and the incoming one had better be prepared for the next global recession. A lot of global economic storms will affect Nigeria and Africa as a whole, except for those who are prepared.

=>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8NEFKQXX7E

=>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-tLenP5NA4

Cheers.

Thanks. I really appreciated your good judgement of the situation. Best regards.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by oooabbeyooo: 2:21pm On Jun 28, 2022
Subsidywise20:

Good point...but Nigerians do not want subsidy to be removed.

Trust me on that....call for subsidy removal...and you must be a oppressor.

Still subsidy removal means fuel may cost N700-800...at the moment we subsidse fuel for 600 naira per liter. On the other hand, it is really damaging our economy.
You are correct by saying Nigerians don't want subsidy removal. The government need to implement policies that will improve the macroeconomics parameters.
For example president Buhari slammed 5% tax on Telecom aside VAT @ 7.5% knowing that Telecom contributes about N30t to the economy of N150t.
If subsidy is removed at the present landing cost of N280/ltr added to a N40 transportation cost of a ltr, the cost of a litre of petrol will be N350.
Removing the subsidy is not the only task that has to be done:
*The government has to increase power generation and provide steady power to businesses to reduce prices of items
*The government must produce petrol locally and reduce the pressure on Naira to increase money supply
*Reduce toxic borrowings and seek for moratorium on debt servicing to allow attend to the ailing economy and reduce spending on debt servicing
*Increase minimum wage to reduce public yearnings.
The country will be better for it.
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by Housing(m): 3:57pm On Jun 28, 2022
verygoodbadboi:
Diesel is sold at 820 per litter. God punish and other supporters of this bad government. To those supporters of BAT, God punish you too. Amen and Insha Allah

GOD will punish and all the fools that click likes on your useless comment. Diesel ⛽ price was as a result of war in Ukraine. AGO price is not regulated here in Nigeria it is a matter of demand and supply. Fuel prices around the world are affected.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by Ipp1: 4:09pm On Jun 28, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by Penguin2: 4:44pm On Jun 28, 2022
Reference:

No sir. What Mr. Obasanjo did was just economic cosmetology.
Very good as they were, the problems were far deeper than that.
The issues were and still are fundamental first and structural overall, so his solutions back then only cleared the first hurdle and thus were not sustainable.

For want of time, I will just illustrate;
He merely fumigated to kill the pests of debts, but did not cut the grass of financial waste, clear the bushes of an over-bloated public service, leaving a dirty financial environment as a fundamental error, fit for the bugs of debt to shortly reappear.

Worse still he did not drain the swamp across the fence meaning the very structural problems afflicting the Nigeria state that makes productivity near impossible thus making public debts almost always inevitable.

So fumigating the bushes of public expenditure just made the bugs take cover in the swamp to await a change of government, and the next rains of global financial upheavals and boom we are back to crushing debts.

Even if you brought back OBJ today the best he will do will be to fumigate again (if possible) and we will enjoy a better balance sheet for just a season. We have deeper issues that keep this nation in perpetual decline decade on decade which go way deeper than public debt and successive repayment drama.

Chai!

You sabi book abeg.
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by NLPoliceWoman: 4:55pm On Jun 28, 2022
RTR

1 Like

Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by Ojuntana: 5:26pm On Jun 28, 2022
oooabbeyooo:

Every government has got its shortcomings. If you talk of dasukigate and maduekwe in president Jonathan's regime someone might tell you about transcorp Hilton under president Obasanjo and Mr Babachir lawal under president Buhari and the plague of debt trap.
As much as I don't support curruption in any form, I really don't want to rundown president Jonathan's administration even now that we have so many bad policies tearing the economy apart which is tantamount to incompetence; another form of curruption.

With regards to the issue of entrenching direction to the cabinet I think that is where HE BAT has prowess. Coordination of cabinet should not be an energy sapping activity. You need to give it to president Buhari for compoture and steadfastness in time of national crisis (#insecurity issues, #endsars & #Covid-19). Most times I think the reason for his courage during crisis is because he doesn't have an idea of the implication or magnitude of the situation. But with his bad health he is able to push through. Coordination of cabinet is about charisma which HE BAT has for sure. Even at old age they will still follow and act your scripts: evident in Hon Gbajabiamila saying he is indebted to HE BAT.
I don't think HE BAT will let go at any time during his administration considering his political influence across the nation but instead I expect him to be able to pull strings and propagate policies and fast track their implementation.
I believe he will put together a great team that will run a great government. I expect a lot of ambitious projects and unprecedented turnaround in key sectors of the economy.
I think you have not been in a position of leadership before that's why you think coordination of leadership is not energy sapping. Do you know that followers react to the demeanor of their leaders? If your leader is lethargic, there's a good chance the followers will be too. It follows the lion and sheep leadership theory. Have you heard of it before?
Look Buhari's cabinet can easily be said to be the most indisciplined of the democratic era. From infighting spilling out to the public sphere to downright backstabbing and outright politicking, it's been shocking and hard to believe all this is happening under a general's watch! If a general can find it so hard to rein in such tendencies obviously due to his physical inhibitions, consider a civilian.
Buhari was mostly lethargic throughout all those you mentioned. It took him over a month to address the nation on covid, over a week during endears with that uninspiring speech, and the insecurity got so bad under his watch, while he refused to rejig his shirt security architecture. Have you forgotten the fight between buratai and the NSA, NSA and Abba kyari etc. These infighting point to weak leadership. Can you imagine such happening under OBJ? Even GEJ did not witness such open venom.
BAT will be limited by his health. It's very obvious. Not everyone who follows him around believes in him like you think. Look at all the facts. He's clashed with Aregbe, Fashola, Ambode etc. These are people who share the same ethnicity with him. Did you hear what babachir said about him when he gave the abeokuta speech? As we speak, he's finding it difficult to select a VP. Common VP o.
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by Ojuntana: 5:35pm On Jun 28, 2022
oooabbeyooo:

I agree with you but will rather say that inflation is as a result of many bad policies presently been implemented by this government. Running production on diesel could be very expensive and inturn increase prices of goods and services. This will cause inflation. If there is regular power supply to industries, there will be reduction in increase in goods thereby reducing inflation considerably.
You will be surprised that in the cost of maintaining a Telecom base station, power takes 65% of the $3,000/month bill for a single base station. At the moment the country has 26,000 base stations. Imagine supplying regular public power to this base stations to replace the diesel power accounting for 65%, as data now is one of the items on the list of consumer price indexes for calculating inflation.
The inflation as a result of importation is because the Currency is depreciating against the dollar against which it is sought! To me it is mad for a government to be sourcing for dollar to import 60m ltrs/day of petrol for local consumption. That is too much pressure on your currency for God,s sake!
If a Refinery works in the country, it will relief this stress on Naira and inturn reduce the inflation as a result of importation.
Quite a number of other factors are responsible for inflation in Nigeria too. Lack of production and inadequate supply is causing inflation, not allowing a flexible forex causes inflation as a result of poor money supply to the economy, debt servicing is another and unnecessary CBN intervention in bailing out government over budget deficit causes inflation.
First of all, Tinubu can't claim to have nothing to do with this govt so he has to explain how a govt he helped enthroned and even had his "boys" in could adopt and implement bad policies.
I agree with a lot of things you said about inflation but must add that like I said, power alone is not responsible for inflation.
We did not have power during OBJ and GEJ's tenure yet our inflation was single digits.
Even if a refinery comes on, there are feelers they will buy and sell at international price which means inflationary pressure will not be impacted.
But besides that, our elites need to start investing in our economy and the APC as the ruling party needs to fashion out a plan to increase our FDI. That's what has been lacking since Buhari came on. His wobbly economic policies has brought confidence in our economy by the foreign guys to its lowest ebb.
He also needs to open our borders fully cause that was one singular source of untamed inflation. It's in such decision making that I know Tinubu can fare better. But in driving policy and implemention of policies to tangible goals, I doubt he can achieve much with a feeble health.
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by Badonasty(m): 6:20pm On Jun 28, 2022
They always have ideas on paper…na to implement be the wahala
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by oooabbeyooo: 10:18pm On Jun 28, 2022
Ojuntana:

BAT will be limited by his health. It's very obvious. Not everyone who follows him around believes in him like you think. Look at all the facts. He's clashed with Aregbe, Fashola, Ambode etc. These are people who share the same ethnicity with him. Did you hear what babachir said about him when he gave the abeokuta speech? As we speak, he's finding it difficult to select a VP. Common VP o.

I can't convince you anymore that HE BAT will make a good leader regardless of his health!
Consider Nelson Mandela of SA, Sir Winston Churchill of UK, Theresa May of UK, Angela Markel of Germany. JFK of the United States. They are leaders with with health issues yet they excelled. He won't be the first to have health issues as a leader of a State and he won't be the last if he eventually makes the office.
His utterance in Abeokuta is as a result of gang up against him not to win the ticket. I know Babachir lawal said he made them look like a traitor in the North for following him with his statement but the statement was an outburst and it's conditional, it could happen to any human being. At last he got what he wanted.
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by oooabbeyooo: 10:38pm On Jun 28, 2022
Ojuntana:

It's in such decision making that I know Tinubu can fare better. But in driving policy and implemention of policies to tangible goals, I doubt he can achieve much with a feeble health.

I believe he will do well. If the likes of Nelson Mandela of SA, Sir Winston Churchill of UK etc could lead successfully, I believe he can and even deliver on key economic turnaround policies. I believe HE Babangana Zulum of Borno state will make a great runningmate and can complement HE BAT regardless of Muslim-Muslim ticket. Religion has nothing to do with good governance. HE Zulum is a president in a moment and can help drive key government policies to fruition.
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by Ojuntana: 10:40pm On Jun 28, 2022
oooabbeyooo:

I can't convince you anymore that HE BAT will make a good leader regardless of his health!
Consider Nelson Mandela of SA, Sir Winston Churchill of UK, Theresa May of UK, Angela Markel of Germany. JFK of the United States. They are leaders with with health issues yet they excelled. He won't be the first to have health issues as a leader of a State and he won't be the last if he eventually makes the office.
His utterance in Abeokuta is as a result of gang up against him not to win the ticket. I know Babachir lawal said he made them look like a traitor in the North for following him with his statement but the statement was an outburst and it's conditional, it could happen to any human being. At last he got what he wanted.
All these leaders you mentioned served only one term with the exception of Merkel. Merkel was however healthy and had few challenges towards the tail end of her tenure.
That's besides the fact none of them had any serious health issues.
What I pointed it is how difficult it is to rein in differing interests and individuals at the federal level.
So you need to temper your unbridled optimism with the stark reality that Nigeria needs very strong leadership because we obviously lack strong institutions like those countries. Let's hope the best for the country emerges
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by oooabbeyooo: 10:50pm On Jun 28, 2022
Ojuntana:

Let's hope the best for the country emerges

That's really a good note to end.
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by Ojuntana: 10:59pm On Jun 28, 2022
oooabbeyooo:

I believe he will do well. If the likes of Nelson Mandela of SA, Sir Winston Churchill of UK etc could lead successfully, I believe he can and even deliver on key economic turnaround policies. I believe HE Babangana Zulum of Borno state will make a great runningmate and can complement HE BAT regardless of Muslim-Muslim ticket. Religion has nothing to do with good governance. HE Zulum is a president in a moment and can help drive key government policies to fruition.
Well, I can't begrudge you your right to believe what you believe.
The way you keep using HE for these politicians as if you're in a formal discussion grin
You actually remind me of one zombie who goes about advertising free stuffs. I hope it's not you angry
Anyways from Goodluck to Sambo to Osinbajo, I think experience has shown that the VP is very limited in influence and only gets to do as much as they're allowed to. So be it HE Zulum or Obama, he can do little in a dithering presidency.
But a Muslim Muslim ticket is a recipe for disaster.
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by oooabbeyooo: 11:16pm On Jun 28, 2022
Ojuntana:

Well, I can't begrudge you your right to believe what you believe.
The way you keep using HE for these politicians as if you're in a formal discussion grin
You actually remind me of one zombie who goes about advertising free stuffs. I hope it's not you angry
Anyways from Goodluck to Sambo to Osinbajo, I think experience has shown that the VP is very limited in influence and only gets to do as much as they're allowed to. So be it HE Zulum or Obama, he can do little in a dithering presidency.
But a Muslim Muslim ticket is a recipe for disaster.
Pardon my formalities if it irritates you. It is something I developed in the past as part of adding value to conversation.
The presidential system of government as practiced in Nigeria does not deter the vice president but assigns a different role to the office of the vice president. As the president is saddled with the responsibility of calling a Federal Executive Council meeting every week, the vice president is saddled with the responsibility of calling Federal Economic Council meeting once a month. It is believed that the vice president is more influential because he interfaces with governors of States and can build more cordial relationship with the grassroot. Since the president is the head of a presidential system of government and as such reserves the consent to almost all decisions in the government, it will be ambitious or treasonable, as the case may be, of a vice president wanting to make decisions. To me the VP is very instrumental in propagating government agenda and policies through the State Governors.
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by Ojuntana: 11:25pm On Jun 28, 2022
oooabbeyooo:

Pardon my formalities if it irritates you. It is something I developed in the past as part of adding value to conversation.
The presidential system of government as practiced in Nigeria does not deter the vice president but assigns a different role to the office of the vice president. As the president is saddled with the responsibility of calling a Federal Executive Council meeting every week, the vice president is saddled with the responsibility of calling Federal Economic Council meeting once a month. It is believed that the vice president is more influential because he interfaces with governors of States and can build more cordial relationship with the grassroot. Since the president is the head of a presidential system of government and as such reserves the consent to almost all decisions in the government, it will be ambitious or treasonable, as the case may be, of a vice president wanting to make decisions. To me the VP is very instrumental in propagating government agenda and policies through the State Governors.
I completely disagree!! If that were the case, Osinbajo would have won the APC primaries easily.
Those govs don't give two cents of a furk to whatever the VP says or does. Heck, during the time of Jonathan, NOI practically ran the NEC.
The govs hardly listen to the president on matters of their common interest not to mention his VP.
Just look at how the govs floored Buhari I'm there last primaries.
It's same reason Tinubu is finding it difficult to choose a Vice. The govs especially the northern ones who have him the ticket all want the pie.
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by oooabbeyooo: 12:00am On Jun 29, 2022
Ojuntana:

I completely disagree!! If that were the case, Osinbajo would have won the APC primaries easily.
Those govs don't give two cents of a furk to whatever the VP says or does. Heck, during the time of Jonathan, NOI practically ran the NEC.
The govs hardly listen to the president on matters of their common interest not to mention his VP.
Just look at how the govs floored Buhari I'm there last primaries.
It's same reason Tinubu is finding it difficult to choose a Vice. The govs especially the northern ones who have him the ticket all want the pie.

HE Osinbajo should have won but lost to a more popular aspirant both in the North and South and also I feel delegates from the southwest did not vote for HE PYO because he didn't step down for HE BAT as all aspirants from the southwest have. Reason he can distant third to Amaechi. More so the voters were not the governors nor the statutory delegates that the governors are used to but elected delegates. HE BAT is more popular than HE PYO with proven political structure which is evident in the result of the primaries.
The Governors too wanted to display their political power by standing their ground against president Buhari during the primaries.
I feel there will be more ranchor between the presidency and the Governors in times of differences than there will be support in time of harmonization of government purpose.
Reason being they are both elected in there respective capacities and as such absolute.
I believe there is a bit of support from the governors to the vice president in times of harmonization of purpose.
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by Ojuntana: 12:15am On Jun 29, 2022
oooabbeyooo:

HE Osinbajo should have won but lost to a more popular aspirant both in the North and South and also I feel delegates from the southwest did not vote for HE PYO because he didn't step down for HE BAT as all aspirants from the southwest have. Reason he can distant third to Amaechi. More so the voters were not the governors nor the statutory delegates that the governors are used to but elected delegates. HE BAT is more popular than HE PYO with proven political structure which is evident in the result of the primaries.
The Governors too wanted to display their political power by standing their ground against president Buhari during the primaries.
I feel there will be more ranchor between the presidency and the Governors in times of differences than there will be support in time of harmonization of government purpose.
Reason being they are both elected in there respective capacities and as such absolute.
I believe there is a bit of support from the governors to the vice president in times of harmonization of purpose.
Osinbajo lost because he did not have the governor's support. Fayemi, chairman of ngf stepped down for Tinubu while Osinbajo was also vying. That tells you the limitations of the VP.
What I'm pointing to you is that if the VP by virtue of being NEC chair had so much influence with the govs, even if Osinbajo did not win, he would have come second at least.
Ultimately, the govs cut their deals with the person they thought offered them the best.
Bottom line is, influence of VP on govs is highly overrated
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by midastouch: 1:59pm On Jun 29, 2022
Ojuntana:

Osinbajo lost because he did not have the governor's support. Fayemi, chairman of ngf stepped down for Tinubu while Osinbajo was also vying. That tells you the limitations of the VP.
What I'm pointing to you is that if the VP by virtue of being NEC chair had so much influence with the govs, even if Osinbajo did not win, he would have come second at least.
Ultimately, the govs cut their deals with the person they thought offered them the best.
Bottom line is, influence of VP on govs is highly overrated

Not necessarily. Atiku as VP had almost all the PDP governors in his pocket and they were ready to vote for him against Obasanjo as president. Since then, sha we have not had such a powerful VP again. But this is proof that it can happen.
Re: Expensive Diesel, Expansive Economic Crisis by Ojuntana: 3:19pm On Jun 29, 2022
midastouch:

Not necessarily. Atiku as VP had almost all the PDP governors in his pocket and they were ready to vote for him against Obasanjo as president. Since then, sha we have not had such a powerful VP again. But this is proof that it can happen.
Atiku was that powerful because OBJ allowed him to be. That's the exact point I'm making. If you have a weak president and a strong VP, it creates problems for the administration because even those govs are masters of deceit

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obasanjo Warns Against Another Civil War! / Boko Haram Recruiting Youths With Loans – Nigerian Army / Dangers For APC In Coerced Consensus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.