Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,983 members, 7,825,063 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

#poultrybusiness: There Is Money In Poultry Business. But Have To Know How This - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / #poultrybusiness: There Is Money In Poultry Business. But Have To Know How This (351 Views)

#poultrybusiness: The Secret Vet Doctors Are Hiding From You. As Poultry Farmer / Are U Afraid of loss in Poultry Biz ??Think Noiler! / Poultry Business In Nigeria: How Reliable & Profitable Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

#poultrybusiness: There Is Money In Poultry Business. But Have To Know How This by Agrosage1(m): 8:20pm On Jun 28, 2022
The Money In Poultry Farming And Risk Involve.

Pause... View the attached photo, you see the Nigerian Naira? That was my sales that day.

OK, now get a bottle or glass of chilled soft drink and read this massage carefully, don't rush.

It is a long post but short for those that intend to venture into poultry farming.

Ready... Read..

Yesterday, I took statistics of 7 "former" poultry farmers around my locality and discover something terrible amongst them.

They all started with over 200 birds, lost almost half in their 2-3 weeks, sold the remaining at a lost and promise never to reinvest in poultry business again.

Sad story.

Because they couldn't recover their capital after wasting much time on a business venture that was said to be lucrative.

See where they got it wrong,

They read/hear someone said poultry farming is lucrative but failed to study the unwritten codes of poultry business.

What are the unwritten codes?

These are top secrets in the business not written in books or blogs but only shared to novice when demand is made for such.

Some poultry farmers here will understand me better.

Back to the crux: These 7 farmers all started rearing birds without proper consultation from practical poultry farmers.

They made so many harmful mistakes which warrant the death of their capital. I wish to highlight a few of them here.

(1) Pen Construction: When it comes to animals rearing, pen(house) construction is the most essential thing.

If the pen is constructed wrongly your birds cannot survive even if you administer the most powerful drugs to them.

The height of your pen depend on the weather condition of your farm settlement.

Your pen height MUST not be taller than 5 blocks base on weather climate of your community.

And birds cannot survive in such weather conditions. Our pen height cannot and mustn't be same with those poultry pens in Jos, Cross River, Kano and co.

So, all the farms I visited made that error. Their pen was taller than mountain Everest which resulted to massive death of their innocent birds.

Warning: Before you construct your pen, know your weather conditions.

(2) Customers: Sorry, Customer suppose to be our number one on the list. But never mind, read and be safe.

In all businesses, we all know customers are the only source of finance/capital. If you were given a startup loan, customers are the ones to payback that money.

Therefore, know your consumers first.

Many people make this stupid mistake when it come to rearing birds. They feed their birds 24/7 hours because someone somewhere said birds eat a lot of food.

Be wise today.

When it come to feeding your birds, know your market and when to sell.

Example: If your market demand birds base on weight and not height, feeding them 24/7 hours is not a crime.

Because their weight when measure on scale, determine how much they'll pay you.

But majority of birds consumers I know buy height and pay little attention to weight. Therefore, if you're in a such environment your feeding pattern must differ.

Consider the timing too. Nurturing your birds for 6 months shouldn't be the goal only if you have large number of buyers who can afford the price.

Note: These farmers made this mistake too. They feed their birds to a price above their consumers budget and it resulted to a lost.

(3): Hatchery: We have numerous hatcheries in Nigeria and some aren't strong, they're at an infant stage trying to develop their services.

Jump and pass them.��

I am not here to promote any farm but we have good hatcheries that give us quality birds with longer life span.

Example: The hot weather conditions in Benue State have forced two farms on us.

Their birds are stronger and survive pretty well in Benue, therefore majority of poultry farmers here go after their birds not minding how high their price per DOC(Day Old Chick) cost.

Note: Error again. They bought birds from an unknown hatchery and their birds couldn't survive Benue State hot weather.

The unwritten codes are numerous and when consciously or unconsciously derelict your rightful duty of asking questions, you MUST harvest the results.

Nature is free and fair, it punishes natural law offenders without trail in court.

Nature have zero respect for novice or experts, do it wrongly and you reap bitter fruits. Be trained, poultry business isn't a gambling table.

Not just farming... If you want to be a good seller, be trained.

If you desire to become a guru in software programming, be trained.

If you want to be successful in your network marketing profession, be trained.

Don't assume you know, know it.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Pics: I Was In Market To Scout For Our Product Competitors. / Beware Of Urgent Rice Buyers On Nairaland / 6-7 Weeks Broiler Available For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.