Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,939 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election (1809 Views)

'Tinubu ‘Graduated’ In 1979, Elnora Couldn’t Have Signed His Certificate - Atiku / Chief Obafemi Awolowo's Private Car in 1979 (photo) / The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by iwaeda: 10:41am On Jun 29, 2022
How Nigeria voted in 1979 Presidential Election.

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by MrJanuzaj: 10:45am On Jun 29, 2022
Awolowo was so close.
Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by Trapnews: 10:48am On Jun 29, 2022
shocked Choi, i thought the Jews said they've been supporting Yorubas since! The hatred no be today oooo. Them get luck say Yorubas no get time to lick wounds. Enemy within.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by etsuidris(m): 10:50am On Jun 29, 2022
Tight.
Game done change now
Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by Treasure17(m): 10:58am On Jun 29, 2022
Pretty close.
Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by Seezion: 10:58am On Jun 29, 2022
When things were making sense.
Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by nameo: 11:06am On Jun 29, 2022
Trapnews:
shocked Choi, i thought the Jews said they've been supporting Yorubas since! The hatred no be today oooo. Them get luck say Yorubas no get time to lick wounds. Enemy within.

Igbos voted for Obasanjo twice against even other Igbo candidates. So rest.

They voted for Azikiwe in this case. All

This stuppid ethnic baiting (Tinubu supporter only campaign strategy and only hope of winning) will not work.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by helinues: 11:09am On Jun 29, 2022
MrJanuzaj:
Awolowo was so close.

And what would you say about Azikwe?

Near
Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by aribisala0(m): 11:09am On Jun 29, 2022
Different analytic perspectives
It seems more votes were cast in the southern part of the country

Lagos state was not the most populous when it hosted the federal government
Eboes and Yoruba have never supported each other
Kano did not support Shagari and he did not get 25% there a source of controversy later
Kano has not always followed the rest of the North
Shagari did not win in Kaduna, Plateau Borno
Azikiwe won in Plateau

56 Likes

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by nameo: 11:11am On Jun 29, 2022
Thats only for this. I have saved.

Shagari won that election of the 3 main states: Cross river(todays Cross river and Akwaibom), Bendel(today's Delta and Edo) and Rivers(today's Rivers and Bayelsa).

Very interesting in deed
Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by aribisala0(m): 11:14am On Jun 29, 2022
nameo:

Shagari won that election of the 3 main states: Cross river(todays Cross river and Akwaibom), Bendel(today's Delta and Edo) and Rivers(today's Rivers and Bayelsa).

Very interesting in deed
Did NOT win Bendel
Awolowo won Bendel

53 Likes

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by YeyeGbami: 11:17am On Jun 29, 2022
Uhmm

tade: go and bring that bag

gongola state ni :p

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by nameo: 11:18am On Jun 29, 2022
aribisala0:
Did NOT win Bendel
Awolowo won Bendel

I know. But he got significant numbers from Bendel. Close to Awolowo. That is ordinarily not expected
Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by ThreeEyedRaven: 11:18am On Jun 29, 2022
nameo:

Very interesting in deed
Awolowo won Bendel

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by aribisala0(m): 11:20am On Jun 29, 2022
nameo:

I know. But he got significant numbers from Bendel. Close to Awolowo. That is ordinarily not expected
Why is it not expected ? May I ask were you born then?

50 Likes

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by ThreeEyedRaven: 11:21am On Jun 29, 2022
Still we read of election rigging in North even When the North is yet to start using underaged voters, voters from Chad and Niger Republic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by seunmsg(m): 11:27am On Jun 29, 2022
nameo:

Very interesting in deed

South south have always voted for the north.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by VoteTinubu2023: 11:28am On Jun 29, 2022
Awolowo did a Christian-Christian ticket, I believe?

Every contestant maxed out their bases. Look at what Awolowo did in Lagos/Oyo and what Azikiwe did in Anambra/Imo.

Vote Tinubu 2023. Vote APC.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by nameo: 11:32am On Jun 29, 2022
aribisala0:
Why is it not expected ? May I ask were you born then?

Ok...maybe i am projecting today's "realities" to the late 70s . So you may be right
Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by nameo: 11:32am On Jun 29, 2022
seunmsg:

South south have always voted for the north.

That will almost certainly not happen this time around

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by Olaoluwa122: 11:35am On Jun 29, 2022
Trapnews:
So the Jews should leave their illustrious son and vote for Awolowo abi??...Sometime it's better to stay quiet than to be spewing nonsense

3 Likes

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by seunmsg(m): 11:38am On Jun 29, 2022
nameo:

That will almost certainly not happen this time around

The only south south state Obi might win is Edo state due to the internal wrangling in the state’s PDP chapter. Even at that, it’s a big IF.

Atiku will still win Delta, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa and Rivers if they find a way to resolve with Wike. APC may likely win Cross River and come second in Edo, Delta, Akwa Ibom and Bayelsa.

Overall, PDP should win SS, APC second and LP a distant third. Nothing is going to change.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by nameo: 11:42am On Jun 29, 2022
seunmsg:

The only south south state Obi might win is Edo state due to the internal wrangling in the state’s PDP chapter. Even at that, it’s a big IF.

Atiku will still win Delta, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa and Rivers if they find a way to resolve with Wike. APC may likely win Cross River and come second in Edo, Delta, Akwa Ibom and Bayelsa.

Overall, PDP should win SS, APC second and LP a distant third. Nothing is going to change.

Peter Obi is sweeping every single SS state, except perhaps Delta, where he will come a close 2nd(you know why abi?).

2nd position everywhere will be Atiku, not Tinubu.

Bookmark this plzz

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by udumosam23(m): 11:47am On Jun 29, 2022
I'm just calculating the number of votes from each state between that period and now, questioning myself of the factors that could lead to such a vast difference.

I concluded corruption is involved. There's no way the north could be more populated than the south with such a huge difference. We need a more accurate census protected by NIN and BVN.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by aribisala0(m): 11:56am On Jun 29, 2022
nameo:

Ok...maybe i am projecting today's "realities" to the late 70s . So you may be right

Good response to understand Nigeria you need to study and reset your mind so it is not projecting. What was the PREVIOUS voting behaviouris what you should know
Let me describe a small experiment
You are playing with 2 small children and they find some matches. So you say let us store it . You agree to hide it in the cupboard. Then child1 goes to the toilet when he is gone you say to child 2 let us hide it again. So you remove it from from the cupboard and hide it in the freezer.
After an hour You now ask child 2 "if I ask child 1 to bring the matches where will he look"?
What response do you expect and why?

41 Likes

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by Frigga13: 12:08pm On Jun 29, 2022
seunmsg:

Not everyone you respond to in politics...Atimes you allow them learn.

Obi and his igbos supporters will lose Anambra and Enugu Owerri and Abia

South south states is a sure lose... not even Edo..

Obi ain’t wining any state in 2023

Power to the people
North 2023

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jun 29, 2022
Trapnews:
And urchins in that sheet voted Igbo right?
Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by WATCHOVER(m): 12:13pm On Jun 29, 2022
aribisala0:
Different analytic perspectives
It seems more votes were cast in the southern part of the country

Lagos state was not the most populous when it hosted the federal government
Eboes and Yoruba have never supported each other
Kano did not support Shagari and he did not get 25% there a source of controversy later
Kano has not always followed the rest of the North
Shagari did not win in Kaduna, Plateau Borno
Azikiwe won in Plateau
You analysis is commendable
Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by VoteObi2023: 12:15pm On Jun 29, 2022
Trapnews:
Yorubas are delusional.

Vote for Awolowo who masterminded the genocide of over 3 million people?

You are guys are insane.

The results also proves that without Igbos votes, Yorubas are not going g anywhere.
Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by VoteObi2023: 12:25pm On Jun 29, 2022
seunmsg:

The story is changing.

From PO will not win any SS state to PO will win only Edo.

LP will get more votes than APC in Delta, Akwa Ibom, Rivers. Bayelsa has large Igbo population but PDP will win their.

I don't know about CR.

But I am sure LP will beat APC in SS if Tinubu picks a Moslem VP. Only fools believe Moslem VP doesnt matter in the South.

The South is PDP vs LP.

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by Justiceleague1: 12:26pm On Jun 29, 2022
Trapnews it is better to remain silent and be thought a fouoool than opening your mouth and quickly remove all doubts whatsoever grin:
Re: How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election by aribisala0(m): 12:39pm On Jun 29, 2022
So South South =
1. Bendel= Edo+ Delta

2. Rivers= Rivers+ Bayelsa

3 Cross River = Cross River + Akwa Ibom

There are Two parts to the South South

West of the Niger

East of the Niger.

This is for the attention of those

We the SS/SE

attach by force folk

33 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Will Die If I Reveal The People That Sent Me . . . Vanguard / Eha-Alumona People Reiterate Confidence In Governor Ugwuanyi / Elections 2023 Enugu State Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.