Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,528 members, 7,823,303 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Islamic Banking: Christain Leaders Are Not Being Sincere : Pastor Tunde Bakare - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Islamic Banking: Christain Leaders Are Not Being Sincere : Pastor Tunde Bakare (966 Views)

Reno Omokri Slams Christain Leaders For Not Condeming Shiite Killings / 'Until I Say Otherwise, There Will Be No Elections' – Tunde Bakare / Power Blocs Backing Buhari –Tunde Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Islamic Banking: Christain Leaders Are Not Being Sincere : Pastor Tunde Bakare by jigawatts(m): 12:41pm On Jul 25, 2011
The Serving Overseer of the Latter Rain Assembly and Vice-Presidential candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change, Pastor Tunde Bakare, on Sunday, appraised Christian leaders’ position on the controversial Islamic banking debate, and accused them of insincerity.

His declaration came as he said he would open an account with the bank once it becomes operational.

Bakare, who spoke on the theme ‘Signposts to The Emergence of a Dictator’ noted that Islamic banking would not result in the Islamisation of the country, but would rather bring relief to the citizenry.

According to him, following that interest rates in the conventional banks are high, Islamic banking will be a huge relief in this area.

He said, “Nobody can Islamise or Christianise Nigeria. Don’t be fooled by church leaders who are speaking from both sides of the mouth. My name is Mr. Bakare and I can change my name to Mallam, an equivalent of Mr., if it will help me get the loan. Islamisation my foot!

“This country will remain a country of truths. People will face options and they will choose to serve God the way they choose. Islamic banking is another distraction just like the Arabic on the naira.

“Dubai is a Muslim country and it is progressive. Many Muslim countries are doing well. If Nigeria is practicing Islam and is retrogressing, then there is something wrong.”

Bakare, who denied that his support for Islamic banking had to do with his background, said it was purely a question of being business-minded.

He added, “Whether Islamic banking or non-interest banking, call it any name as long as you are operating within the law. The semantics is not the issue. It has always been there. There is no point making an issue out of nothing. There are Muslims in Nigeria who are bona-fide Nigerians and they can have it but the church and people of other faiths should not be sidetracked.

“My sympathy with non-interest banking is because any businessman knows the benefit of doing business without heavy loans. In the United Kingdom, the interest rate is six per cent and they still have Islamic banking. In Nigeria, it is 24 per cent. It is too high. When those banks start operating, I’ll quickly open an account with them.”

On the theme of the day, Bakare charged the political leadership to stop the profligacy in government, saying it was driving the nation to the precipice. He also promised to continue to advocate the indivisibility of the country.

He said, “I will continue to advocate that the best of north and the best of the south come together to lift Nigeria out of its current entrapment. I don’t believe in Oduduwa or Igbo Republic. Our country’s diversity can be harnessed to produce the best.”

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201107251524776

(1) (Reply)

Mass Murder In Nigeria / The Gift Nigeria Need For The New Year / My Friend In North Cant Come Home, There Is No Transport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.