Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,624 members, 7,820,210 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. (16281 Views)

Oshiomhole Ditches Khakhi Uniform For Designer Suits (Photos) / PHOTO: Nigerian Police To Pay N100m Compensation Over Death Of Lawyer Detainee / Igbo Appeal To Lagos Govt, Police To Protect Them After Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by dustydee: 1:37pm On Jul 26, 2011
why? It's not about how much you earn but being contented with what you have and live within your means. I don't earn close to a million but some of my superiors who do collect bribe.
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by seedord247(m): 1:42pm On Jul 26, 2011
that's africa for you not only Nigeria. . . . what we lack in africa is comfort, we're never contented with what we have we always look for more.

Upon all what Babangida has achieve through negative impact, what is he looking for a again?
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jul 26, 2011
how much is d pay

dats wot i'm interested in,
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by DoubleN(m): 2:03pm On Jul 26, 2011
This is the case of same Toilet,different Shxxt! It is not by changing uniforms or employing graduates. The Nigeria Police in its entirety needs to undergo a fresh orientation on what really the Job of a Policeman is. Adequate compensation and equipment should also be provided.
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by Johnpaul2k2(m): 2:10pm On Jul 26, 2011
hope they will still change from n20 to n10 grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by Koolking(m): 2:20pm On Jul 26, 2011
To me, I see no change in our Police Force. Pay the least rank N150,000 basic monthly salary excluding allowances. The insidious norms of bribery, recklessness, anti-taxpayers attitude, unprofessional conducts and many other ills typical of NPF will continue.

These attitudes can only be changed or reduced when our orientation changed. Until we begin to make laws that bark and bite. Until we see corruption as bane of our general development as a country. Until the president is punish for acting contrary to the constitution. Until we see the constitution as sacrosanct, we will continue to rigmarole and trace the circumference.

God bless Nigeria
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by lastpage: 2:27pm On Jul 26, 2011
Good, neat and suitable Uniform is very desirable for the Police- Its called "Social Conditioning"!
You might have observed that those who dress "neat" or on "light colored Dress" (like white) tend to behave in a way that minimizes the dirtying of such apparels! Make the Police wear Navy-Blue Trousers, White/Sky blue Cotton shirts and give them 'steel-topped" security boots.

Having said that, we also need "psychological Conditioning" for these officers!
Most of their "problems" originates from their "MENTALITY"; sorry to say but close to 90% of the current force have criminal mentality!!

Sir Mike Okiro was a graduate-employed officer,
Tafa Balogun was also of the "graduate Corps" and many others like that who are State Commissioners, e.t.c.

Are they still not crooks? Its in the  mind! wink

Note that every rank above Assist. Superintendent of Police (ASP) is a graduate-level rank!

My suggestions:

*Pay them well.

*Do a serious "back-ground check" before putting them in Police college (No one with Criminal background must handle a gun)

*Go straight to the Universities and recruit, not someone who sees Police as a "last option"! (Same with Teachers! Not frustrated persons!! )

*Dont "dehumanize them" during training (they simply pass-it-on when they graduate! grin )

*Rebuild the Police stations and let it look like "proper working offices" (Not the current smelly dungeons we have)

*Train and re-train them regularly (Modern Policing is not by "use of force", its by "use of technology".)

*Equip their stations with computers and internet access + modern communication tools + Mobility +Modern weapons to be used when needed only)

*Set-up a "Police Ombudsman" committee that would speedily try erring Policemen and impose "very stiff penalties and discharge them"

* Let Policemen "police areas they are familiar with", where they live, as they will know the criminals there (Community Policing)

*All ammunitions must be "recorded and its use justified" on a daily basis, to an "external audit body" (Not the same criminal DPO)

*Setup a well equipped "Police Forensic Laboratory and staff it with qualified scientists of various specializations.

*Set-Up (or re-organize for effectiveness), an "Intelligence gathering Arm" in every Police District (Like the CID in the good old days!)

I can go on-and-on but l am not in a position to make these changes and l doubt if those in that position come here to glean "ideas" at all

Whats the point?

@Koolking, thanx for that post above
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by Sike(m): 2:36pm On Jul 26, 2011
Graduates 4 inside Police Force I doubt it!!! Ko por!!
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by Andrew3(m): 2:40pm On Jul 26, 2011
AND ONE IMPORTANT THING

LET THE UNIFORM HAVE NO POCKET grin grin grin
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by daphil: 2:48pm On Jul 26, 2011
It is not about change of uniform and upgrading of salary alone. But training on change of orientation away from inferior mentality.
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by dramenda(f): 3:03pm On Jul 26, 2011
so
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by anointedf(m): 3:11pm On Jul 26, 2011
This will not change anything among these guys. Quite alright, the Minister and some of his goons will make their own money from the 'change of uniform' but as for transformation. Thats for the trash. The only way out is complete overhaul of the system and get rid of the mafia and other in-house criminals.
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by buy1get2(m): 3:23pm On Jul 26, 2011
black is the best , they should try to change the teeth to black too
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by vislabraye(m): 3:24pm On Jul 26, 2011
Change in uniform for what?
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by playmode(m): 3:27pm On Jul 26, 2011
In a country like Nigeria with rampant violent crime ,i suggest that they adopt something similar to the South African Police Uniform with full protective Gear.They should also give them nice cars which are capable of high speed pursuit instead of the usual overloaded trucks which they drive around in.

Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by Lolabbey: 3:32pm On Jul 26, 2011
@ all

i dey laff ooooo
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by YEMOYEMI: 3:40pm On Jul 26, 2011
@lastpage what a brilliant post by you!

I can get this to someone that 'may' get it across to the ministry. Let us try if they can act on it.
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by owobokiri(m): 4:06pm On Jul 26, 2011
The South African police uniform is the worst I have ever seen. Makes the officers look like uniformed touts in a well managed motor park .
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by Cmiller(m): 4:09pm On Jul 26, 2011
OLOKPA CONTINUa, change uniform n recriut graduate stil d Bribery n Corruption wl stl Continua
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 26, 2011
As i always say, 99% of all corrupt practises are either performed by the NPF,aided by them or as a result of their incompetence.Reforming the NPF alone will reduce corruption by more 60%.
In order to strengthen the Police Force, each state shuld control their own independent police dept,force hqr,police service commission,independent intelligence outfit,central forensic labouratory complex,police academy,statustorily fixed amount from the national budget,independent of the state govt,each of them independently and directly responsible to the presidency without any intermediate,police martial court and public complaint commission,special forces and secret mission corps,uniform and police chief,e.t.c.The Fct shuld have theirs,while the Fg shuld use SSS which shuld be parterned after theFBI,strengthened and functioning also as the federal police and national intelligence outfit.
Policing shuld be in the concurrent list.Anything that will tend to interfer with that independence shuld be avoided.
What's important is that is that competition and the confidence of operating at home.Remember,competition brings abt productivity and efficiency.
The federal ministry shuld exercise supervisory functions only, and the offices of IGP and his cohorts abolished.
I knw alot of people will kick against this,but if i shuld b d president,this is what i'll do and gender parity act-equal representation of women in all political,civil service n military offices and councils.Even if this is d only tin i'll do and of course BIAFRA.
Anyway, this is the police system,BIAFRA will adopt.which shuld be parterned after theFBI,strengthened and functioning also as the federal police and national intelligence outfit.
Policing shuld be in the concurrent list.Anything that will tend to interfer with that independence shuld be avoided.
What's important is that is that competition and the confidence of operating at home.Remember,competition brings abt productivity and efficiency.
The federal ministry shuld exercise supervisory functions only, and the offices of IGP and his cohorts abolished.
I knw alot of people will kick against this,but if i shuld b d president,this is what i'll do and gender parity act-equal representation of women in all political,civil service n military offices and councils.Even if this is d only tin i'll do and of course BIAFRA.
Anyway, this is the police system,BIAFRA will adopt.
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 26, 2011
As i always say, 99% of all corrupt practises are either performed by the NPF,aided by them or as a result of their incompetence.Reforming the NPF alone will reduce corruption by more 60%.
In order to strengthen the Police Force, each state shuld control their own independent police dept,force hqr,police service commission,independent intelligence outfit,central forensic labouratory complex,police academy,statustorily fixed amount from the national budget,independent of the state govt,each of them independently and directly responsible to the presidency without any intermediate,police martial court and public complaint commission,special forces and secret mission corps,uniform and police chief,e.t.c.The Fct shuld have theirs,while the Fg shuld use SSS which shuld be parterned after theFBI,strengthened and functioning also as the federal police and national intelligence outfit.
Anyway, this is the police system,BIAFRA will adopt.
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 26, 2011
If at all they want to change their uniform, the regular black shirt should be changed to blue shirt, same as the senior officers. The mobile police uniform should not be changed because it fits in well with their duty and environment.

Above all, their mentality should be worked on and their pay should be increased in order to earn them respect (but this may not change their bribery mentality; even ministers and aides collect bribes)

Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by deandavid(m): 4:51pm On Jul 26, 2011
una one employ graduate,una fit pay?i go join o.if dem go pay me 80k o.shikena
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by Redman44(m): 6:25pm On Jul 26, 2011
One of my uncles was a Policeman when I was growing up. This was in the early 80's. He rose to the rank of an Inspector and he was always well dressed then. This was when the Nigerian Police Force was wearing grey khaki shirts and Black Trousers. The Mobile Police Unit wore grey long sleeved shirts and brown Khaki trousers and black or brown boots. Some units of the Mobile Police also wore brown long sleeved khaki shirts then. I am of the opinion that the Nigerian Police should revert back to the grey shirts and black Khaki trousers. The grey shirts made them look smart back in the days. The grey shirts also absorbed sweat and dirt and you won't even know when the shirt was dirty. I love the idea of more graduates entering the Police Force. However, the salary of our cops should be jacked up to at least 70,000 Naira for the lowest ranking officers. The Police Stations we have around are in very bad condition. They have to be refurbished and fitted with modern technology. There is a lot of work to be carried out on the Nigeria Police Force. I hope the new Minister is not just making false promises and trying to make the headlines. Nigeria as a country itself needs a very thorough surgical operation sad sad sad sad sad. There are just too many things wrong with the country. Cheers.
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by fm7070: 6:47pm On Jul 26, 2011
Well, I wish them the best on that. it is a good idea. However, I hope the bad structure already in place will not corrupt the graduates as well and even make them worse. Because this is what we see in parastatals like customs, FRSC, etc where there is much more curruption than police
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by MadDog1(m): 7:35pm On Jul 26, 2011
there is nothing wrong with nigeria police uniform! for me its the best! why white! is this man MAD? just tackle the issue of their love for naira note! and strict punishment for unlawful/corrupt ones! then ask the fedral govt to reduce the power of the military within the territory! is police job! and a police should even have the right to arrest a military man if he/she acts unlawful in the street! these & more are the things this MAD man should tackle rather than changing clothes,
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by andyanders: 8:12pm On Jul 26, 2011
Nothing to reform here. If you like, recruit them as Phd holers, they will still collect bribe. Look at some University lecturers employed by INEC as returning officers, they still some went out there to collect bribe. Nigeria Police force cannot be reformed. If you gather all of them and train them and pay them 200k per month, they will still prefer egunje and must increase collecting N20 or N50 naira note and start demanding 100 to 200 naira to amke sure they have target.

Just allow them be. I think the minister is looking for a way to steal money from the government is the name of training. It is an epidemic in our system to collect bribe.
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by globatop: 8:33pm On Jul 26, 2011
will their mind set change
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by MadDog1(m): 8:42pm On Jul 26, 2011
andyanders:

Nothing to reform here. If you like, recruit them as Phd holers, they will still collect bribe. Look at some University lecturers employed by INEC as returning officers, they still some went out there to collect bribe. Nigeria Police force cannot be reformed. If you gather all of them and train them and pay them 200k per month, they will still prefer egunje and must increase collecting N20 or N50 naira note and start demanding 100 to 200 naira to amke sure they have target.

Just allow them be. I think the minister is looking for a way to steal money from the government is the name of training. It is an epidemic in our system to collect bribe.

who told you they cannot be reform! why ? ? your type is killing the most populous black nation! dont be Mad!~
stop talking like you are Mad! there is nothing that cant be reform in nigeria! is only if they got the right leader!
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by member479760: 8:48pm On Jul 26, 2011
2 policemen on duty should entitle to a car for patrol, min salary 100k, well train and live within the society they are working.
Re: Police To Employ Graduates, Change Uniform. by andyanders: 9:02pm On Jul 26, 2011
@Mad Dog!!!

No wonder you are mad dog. I can see. Go and reform yourself. Do you have the right leaders? from primary school level, children get corrupt. Money meant for light was stolen. Street lights vandalized by people like you. Pure water thrown out of windows, doors and moving cars.
Police killing innocent citizens and branding them armed robbers. Well read lawyers taking bribe and sentencing innocent people.
The leaders and bank executives, “ Cecilia Ibru” stealing money and been given 6 months to serve in a hospital. The Inspector General of Police Tafa Balogun stealing billions and getting 6months. Go and sit down. What have you gotten right?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria's Middle-Class Increases By 28 percent!! / Independence: FG Declares Monday Public Holiday / Kano APC Counters Ganduje's Purported Suspension,sacks Ward Leaders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.