Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,839 members, 7,817,479 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala (10005 Views)

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Look-Alike (Picture) / Chief Femi Fani-Kayode Thinks Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Is "The Problem" / An Open Letter To Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 3:26pm On Jul 25, 2011
Nigerians need to realize dat they are at a special place in their history and really need to start making wise decision on who they place the mantle of leadership. Good leadership is never about tribe/ ethnicity nor personal wealth. It is about character and experience.

We see candidate with character and experience come to the lime light but turn our backs on them over superficial and ancient beliefs. We as Nigerians need to understand that the only formula constant is change and until we apply that formula, we remain backward and failures. We migrate to distant land were we really are not wanted and many lose their life in various unthinkable ways in the search for greener pastures.

Let me affirm that their are no land on earth with greener pastures than our Nigeria and we as Nigerians need to start considering our future in a way we have never done before to attain our true potentials. History is ours for the making and it is time we in Nigeria had our Obama moment in our life time.   

2015 lets vote Ngozi Iweala Okonjo as our President. The first female President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0qURJHZvCI

[email]http://www.unmultimedia.org/tv/webcast/2011/05/19692.html[/email]

Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 3:41pm On Jul 25, 2011
Well, that is the challenge that has been set for them to overcome. Poverty is not the problem but the inability for Nigerian to apply wisdom and think creatively with the mind dat i know they have, to get something good for themselves and their children. Nigerians should rise to the challenge and prepare themselves for change. They should place the welfare of themselves and future generations yet unborn over sentiments and tribal mirage.

Lets face it, all the president we have voted for out of sentiment, did not achieve nothing for Tribe but themselves and cronies, dat ain't even from the same tribe as them. So the only people that are tribal seems not to be the elite but the common man, misconception or miss-education. It is time we also looked after our welfare and the welfare of our children's and generations unborn instead of tribes.
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by aljharem(m): 3:52pm On Jul 25, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

Nigerians need to realize dat they are at a special place in their history and really need to start making wise decision on who they place the mantle of leadership. Good leadership is never about tribe/ ethnicity nor personal wealth. It is about character and experience.

We see candidate with character and experience come to the lime light but turn our backs on them over superficial and ancient beliefs. We as Nigerians need to understand that the only formula constant is change and until we apply that formula, we remain backward and failures. We migrate to distant land were we really are not wanted and many lose their life in various unthinkable ways in the search for greener pastures.

Let me affirm that their are no land on earth with greener pastures than our Nigeria and we as Nigerians need to start considering our future in a way we have never done before to attain our true potentials. History is ours for the making and it is time we in Nigeria had our Obama moment in our life time.   

2015 lets vote Ngozi Iweala Okonjo as our President. The first female President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0qURJHZvCI

you are drunk

go sleep and wake up again. it is like you slept on the wrong side of the bed wink
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Sunofgod(m): 3:56pm On Jul 25, 2011
alj harem:

you are drunk

go sleep and wake up again. it is like you slept on the wrong side of the bed wink

I never ever thought I could agree with your 'dumbass' on anything - But on this one your right!

I think she's been drinking bottles of 'Red Wine' today.

Madam, please sleep non stop for 48hrs.
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:01pm On Jul 25, 2011
alj harem:

you are drunk

ROFLMAO! Why? Is it becos of my foresight and ability to know the best for our future generation. Don't u want economic success for Nigeria and less fighting like we see almost on a dailly bases in Nigeria? Don't u want our currency to return to its former glory in the early 1970s and late 60s?

Don't u want better fiscal and monetary policy and infrastructures? Don't u want foreign inward investment and competitive development of our infant industries? Please let us observe change becos that is the only formular dependable in life and see.

Let us move away from the path of war and tribalism to a path of success.

Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by aljharem(m): 4:06pm On Jul 25, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

ROFLMAO! Why? Is it becos of my foresight and ability to know the best for our future generation. Don't u want economic success for Nigeria and less fighting like we see almost on a dailly bases in Nigeria? Don't u want our currency to return to its former glory in the early 1970s and late 60s.

Don't u want better fiscal and monetary policy and infrastructures? Don't u want foreign inward investment and competitive development of our infant industries. Please let us observe change becos that is the only formular dependable in life and see.

Let us move away from the path of war and tribalism to a path of success.

haha. this has nothing to do with tribalism. haba my sister

you did not even talk of ngige, soludo, fashola or as things are going now rochas you are talking of Ngozi.lol

fashola has changed the face of lagos and i am a living witness to this.

rochas just started and frankly i have not see anything from him except from he gave some people money

soludo is not bad but we have a better candidate if soludo is picked and he is sanusi

Ngige is another great Nigerian. For the mere fact that he is one of the few detribalised igbos I have seen in the political affires of the country, I would give him thumbs up for that.
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:19pm On Jul 25, 2011
alj harem:

haha. this has nothing to do with tribalism. haba my sister

you did not even talk of ngige, soludo, fashola or as things are going now rochas you are talking of Ngozi.lol

fashola has changed the face of lagos and i am a living witness to this.

rochas just started and frankly i have not see anything from him except from he gave some people money

soludo is not bad but we have a better candidate if soludo is picked and he is sanusi

Ngige is another great Nigerian. For the mere fact that he is one of the few detribalised igbos I have seen in the political affires of the country, I would give him thumbs up for that.

There is a single factor that looms in Nigeria Politics and dat is corruption. Successive government have all been corrupt and it is my opinion that picking a candidate that comes from a disciplined background with a reputation to maintain domestically and internationally would go a long way to remedy that problem.

I can't help but wonder wat Nigeria would look like in just a tenure of government that is corruption free. I can't help but wonder wat Nigeria would look like in just one tenure of ehanced fiscal governance and monetary management. I can't help but wonder wat type of education facilities and child provisions would be made available for the future generation.

Let us try change for the better of our nation and for lasting peace.
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:24pm On Jul 25, 2011
Only change can guarantee change.

Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by otokx(m): 6:06pm On Jul 25, 2011
Some people say they are staying in the UK and saying what will happen in Nigeria; not possible.
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:35pm On Jul 25, 2011
otokx:

Some people say they are staying in the UK and saying what will happen in Nigeria; not possible.

Everything is possible dear, never limit urself but broaden your horizon. I can understand your emotions about the prospect of a female president for Nigeria but u have to ask urself why Nigeria sent for a person living in far away America and bestowed on her the mammoth responsibilities of Finance Minister(Chancellor of the Exchequer) not once but twice.

Surely the next time she should be promoted since we find her competent, otherwise we start to look like a nation of sexist that oppress women, even wen they are up to the challenge and will perform better than male counterparts. It is time for Nigerians to embrace their destiny and somebody needs to demonstrate the act of good governance.
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by namfav(m): 7:26pm On Jul 25, 2011
i will vote for her

in my sleep
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by EzeUche(m): 7:31pm On Jul 25, 2011
She could be Nigeria's Iron Lady. cool
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:59pm On Jul 25, 2011
Career
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, at the 2004 Spring Meetings of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank Group

Prior to her ministerial career in Nigeria, Okonjo-Iweala was vice-president and corporate secretary of the World Bank Group. She left it in 2003 after she was appointed to President Obasanjo's cabinet as Finance Minister on 15 July.

In October 2005, she led the Nigerian team that struck a deal with the Paris Club, a group of bilateral creditors, to pay a portion of Nigeria's external debt (US $12 billion) in return for an $18 billion debt write-off. Prior to the partial debt payment and write-off, Nigeria spent roughly US $1 billion every year on debt servicing, without making a dent in the principal owed.

Okonjo-Iweala also introduced the practice of publishing each state's monthly financial allocation from the federal government in the newspapers. She was instrumental in helping Nigeria obtain its first ever sovereign credit rating (of BB minus) from Fitch and Standard & Poor's. Nigeria is considered to have defaulted on its sovereign debt in 1983 (debt rescheduling is considered a type of default by rating agencies).[5]

Some controversy surrounded Okonjo-Iweala’s appointment as Finance Minister, and that of Foreign Affairs minister, Olu Adeniji, as other ministers were resentful of their United Nations salaries of over US$240,000, compared with their own $6,000 base salary. The controversy was spearheaded by reform-minded media reports, although Okonjo-Iweala felt that her critics were unjustified because of the temporary nature of the payment, which came out of the donor supported Diaspora Fund negotiated by the Nigerian government.[6] On Friday, 20 July 2007, the Court of Appeal ruled that the salary payment was not done within the ambit of Nigeria's laws, and directed her and Adeniji to pay back the excess to the account of the state.

Both Okonjo-Iweala and the Federal Government of Nigeria have appealed the case to the Supreme Court, and judgement is pending. The appeal is on the basis that the appeals court made its judgement due to erroneous information provided to it that the Nigerian government was making the salary payments, when in fact it was not.

She resigned as Nigeria's Foreign Minister on August 3, 2006 following her sudden removal as head of Nigeria's Economic Intelligence team by President Olusegun Obasanjo. She left office at the end of August 2006.

On October 4, 2007, World Bank President Robert Zoellick appointed her to the post of Managing Director, effective December 1, 2007.[7]

Given the recent challenges faced by Nigeria on how to manage the macroeconomic policy in such a way to achieve the country's vision 2020, Okonjo Iweala was seen as a the Joshua who can actually lead the country to attain achieve her goal. During her confirmation as a Minister, she stressed the need to reduce the country's recurrent expenditure which is presently 74% of the National Budget and embark on capital projects which could improve the 14% unemployment rate in the country.[8] One of the conditions she gave to the incumbent president, Goodluck Jonathan, was an additional power to influence/exercise power over the economic team. This power include the appointment of credible and proven staff to head departments and ministries under her portfolio.
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by bashr4: 2:59am On Jul 26, 2011
if nigeria is ever going to have a femal president then Ngozi is the best choice but i doubt if nigerians are ready to vote a woman , even if the south does the muslim north will never do that ,they rather die than see a woman govern affairs of the nation.
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by NegroNtns(m): 3:48am On Jul 26, 2011
I like what she stands for and her personality is warm and inviting but as far as capability to deliver results in Nigeria, I will say managing an international institution where you are sorrounded by critically thinking and fast processing minds all moving in a uniform tempo, versus Presiding over a multitude of well educated, big grammar-spewing overfed men that are retardly tuned to what's going around them, talk much the President, or worse the world out there, I just dont think she will measure up.
These poitical goons got quite a heapload of nonsense that it takes a man with some "balls" to handle and keep them in line. Look what they did to Yar'Adua. Can you imagine what a wreck she will become after 6 months of their confusing crap? Please that woman her sanity and bring a Igbo man instead of her.
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:30am On Jul 26, 2011
Nigeria is not more Islamic than Pakistan but yet they long had their first female Prime Minister in the like of Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto. Nigeria wants recognition like India as one of the world largest democracy but India long had their first female Prime minister in the like of Prime Minister Indira Priyadarshini Gandhi.

Nigeria wants to be the giant of African but missed the golden opportunity to produce Africa first female President to Liberia President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf. Britain long had their First female Prime minister in the likes of Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. America will produce a female President shortly after Obama. Must we in Nigeria remain backward and complain of lack of progress wen we fail to strive in the direction of progress.

Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by dustydee: 8:56am On Jul 26, 2011
bashr4:

if nigeria is ever going to have a femal president then Ngozi is the best choice but i doubt if nigerians are ready to vote a woman , even if the south does the[b] muslim north [/b]will never do that ,they rather die than see a woman govern affairs of the nation.
what about the christain north, will they vote for her?
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by 1025: 10:27am On Jul 26, 2011
my fear is this woman's carrier and dignity because no one work and finish with pdp with good name. pdp is corruption and their influence is very infectious.
again, i and many nigerians will loose our respect for this humble woman the day she steps out to seek any political position under this useless party called pdp.
what we want as a ppl is change and this change pdp has proved since 1999 till date that they can't do anything about it.
i wish this woman well and i expect her to step aside like she did before under obasanjo and by so doing, she will remain okonjo iweala that nigerians and the whole world respect.
but if she goes the way of dora, the same dora situation will over-take her reputation as we are not fools here.
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:03pm On Jul 26, 2011
^^Mr 1025, This thread has nothing to do with all the aforesaid listed in your post. We are here to talk about good governance and whom is best fit to place the mantle of leadership after GEJ tenure in 2015.

As a Nigerian and Progressive, i take seriously the role of leadership in attaining sustainable development and securing the growth of our economy. To that effect, we can think of no better candidate to entrust those responsibilities in present day Nigeria with all the corrupt politicians than Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala.

So next time before u jump the gun and start posting out of context or sentiments at least read the title and content thread first. No-doubt Ngozi Okonjo Iweala is the most versatile and astute development champion we have in Nigeria and Internationally.

Hence, she is over due for a promotion from the capacity of finance minister Nigeria has repeatedly dragged her out of Washington to undertake. She undoubtedly in the present political climate is one of the best technocrats Nigeria has been blessed with.
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 1:00pm On Jul 26, 2011
Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala and The Chancellor of Germany Angela Merkel with UN Secretary General Kofi Annan.

Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Horus(m): 10:20pm On Jul 26, 2011
We should try a women President to see the difference.
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:53am On Jul 27, 2011
At present can thinnk of no presidential candidate more qualified than Ngozi Okonjo Iweala.

Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:12am On Jul 27, 2011
Sun of God u and i will agree that your pic is not necessary, so remove that pic from this thread. please. Besides she was a first lady representing herself and never Nigeria.
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:28am On Jul 27, 2011
there's an Africa that you don't hear about very much. And sometimes I'm puzzled, and I ask myself why. This is the Africa that is changing, that Chris alluded to. This is the Africa of opportunity. This is the Africa where people want to take charge of their own futures and their own destinies. And this is the Africa where people are looking for partnerships to do this. That's what I want to talk about today.

The best way to help Africans today is to help them to stand on their own feet. And the best way to do that is by helping create jobs. There's no issue with fighting malaria and putting money in that and saving children's lives. That's not what I'm saying. That is fine. But imagine the impact on a family: if the parents can be employed and make sure their children go to school, that they can buy the drugs to fight the disease themselves.

If we can invest in places where you yourselves make money whilst creating jobs and helping people stand on their own feet, isn't that a wonderful opportunity? Isn't that the way to go? And I want to say that some of the best people to invest in on the continent are the women. And the women are diligent: they are focused; they work hard against all odds have developed businesses, some of them world-class.

Read more: http://www.sweetspeeches.com/s/49-ngozi-okonjo-iweala-want-to-help-africa-do-business-here#ixzz1TIQhpwNO
By Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by namfav(m): 10:40am On Jul 27, 2011
you have a better chance of being are president than miss iweala, which means no chance grin grin grin grin
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:49am On Jul 27, 2011
^^ Care to expatiate exactly why u said dat?  shocked
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:07am On Jul 27, 2011
So, huge things in construction, real estate, mortgage markets. Financial services: we had 89 banks. Too many not doing their real business. We consolidated them from 89 to 25 banks by requiring that they increase their capital - share capital. And it went from about 25 million dollars to 150 million dollars. The banks - these banks are now consolidated, and that strengthening of the banking system has attracted a lot of investment from outside. Barclays Bank of the U.K. is bringing in 500 million. Standard Chartered has brought in 140 million. And I can go on. Dollars, on and on, into the system.

We are doing the same with the insurance sector. So in financial services, a great deal of opportunity. In tourism, in many African countries, a great opportunity. And that's what many people know East Africa for: the wildlife, the elephants, and so on. But managing the tourism market in a way that can really benefit the people is very important.

So what am I trying to say? I'm trying to tell you that there's a new wave on the continent. A new wave of openness and democratization in which, since 2000, more than two-thirds of African countries have had multi-party democratic elections. Not all of them have been perfect, or will be, but the trend is very clear. I'm trying to tell you that since the past three years, the average rate of growth on the continent has moved from about 2.5 percent to about 5 percent per annum. This is better than the performance of many OECD countries. So it's clear that things are changing.

Conflicts are down on the continent; from about 12 conflicts a decade ago, we are down to three or four conflicts,And if we are down to three or four conflicts, it means that there are plenty of opportunities to invest in stable, growing, exciting economies where there's plenty of opportunity. And I want to just make one point about this investment.

Read more: http://www.sweetspeeches.com/s/49-ngozi-okonjo-iweala-want-to-help-africa-do-business-here#ixzz1TIb5vLSA
By Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by namfav(m): 11:08am On Jul 27, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

^^ Care to expatiate exactly why u said dat?  shocked

nigeria will not have a women president soon
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:14am On Jul 27, 2011
namfav:

nigeria will not have a women president soon

Ok, When? If we are waiting for Nigeria to be ready, without testing or grooming Nigeria with potential candidates then Nigeria will never be ready. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala seems to be ready and the best Presidential candidate of all potential candidates so far. I mean dis woman will deliver bouncing baby boyz and girlz for Nigeria, so wat is the problem.  grin grin
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:15am On Jul 27, 2011
Ready for business grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by namfav(m): 11:28am On Jul 27, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

Ok, When? If we are waiting for Nigeria to be ready, without testing or grooming Nigeria with potential candidates then Nigeria will never be ready. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala seems to be ready and the best Presidential candidate of all potential candidates so far. I mean dis woman will deliver bouncing baby boyz and girlz for Nigeria, so wat is the problem.  grin grin

i predict in no more than 50 years we will probably be ready for one, there alot of nigerian women (young) who are showing qualities to lead our nation one day, miss iweala is not do or die because in future we will have better and new school candidates haha
Re: What Nigeria Needs? Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala by kleechy: 12:13pm On Jul 27, 2011
WATCH OUT FOR DR NGOZI OKONJO IWEALA .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fashola At Microsoft International HQ For Collaboration In ICT. PICS / Gov. Ugwuanyi Commiserates With Pastor Adeboye Over Son's Death / Foreign, Local Investors Storm Gombe For First Summit As Inuwa Assures Of Safety

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.