Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,996 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports (4015 Views)

Sex For Grades: BBC Releases The Full Documentary Of Lecturers Involved / Sex For Grades: Boniface Igbeneghu Of UNILAG Exposed In BBC Documentary (Pics) / UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by jnig: 2:26am On Jul 03, 2022
BBC reporter, Chris Ewokor wrote from Abuja Nigeria on the cruel fate of Nigerians studying in Ukrainian medical schools since the MDCN has labelled their certificates as online degrees.

"The message from Nigeria's medical council could not have been more cruel for students like Moses Damilola Fehintola. Fehintola Moses Damilola had been in Ukraine since he was 17.

After being trapped by war in Ukraine earlier this year, it was a relief when he escaped and was able to continue his medicine degree online.

But one day a WhatsApp message in capital letters pinged on his phone, telling him his distance-learning qualifications would not be recognised after all.

The language was cold and formal.

"We wish to inform the General Public that Medical and Dental Degree Certificates issued by Medical Schools from Ukraine from 2022 will NOT be honoured by the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria until when normal academic activities resume."

Mr Fehintola gasped as his vision blurred for a moment. "Jesus," he muttered in exasperation.

"What's going on?" his mother asked, glancing across as they drove to a local market in Oyo state. Mr Fehintola mumbled a few words and tried to play it down.

"The news hit me really hard... So many thoughts flooded my mind," he recalls. "I was actually looking forward to graduating from Ukraine irrespective of whatever happened."

He was in his sixth and final year of study at Ukraine's Sumy State University and was months away from finishing, when the city came under siege by invading Russian troops.

Many Africans battled to cross the border into Poland after the outbreak of war in Ukraine

The 22-year-old was left trapped for several weeks before he made it home - he was one of more than 1,000 Nigerians, mostly students, to return from Ukraine.

Despite the raging fighting, Sumy State University and other Ukrainian institutions managed to continue to provide online courses and so Mr Fehintola assumed he would be able to achieve his dream of working as a doctor after all.

However, his plans have now been left in ruins.

"I'm in Nigeria now trying to do clinical practice, because l want to meet the requirements to be able to practise as a doctor in Nigeria," Mr Fehintola told the BBC.

"First l wrote to my own state Ministry of Health requesting to be posted to a hospital, but on getting to the hospital, the medical director there said: 'Oh, you are from Ukraine, was it not the place that the certificates were cancelled by the MDCN?"'

"I was so shocked - I just had to say: 'Yes' because it's the truth. From then on, there was that look, and l know there was going to be a stigma - that attitude of: 'This guy is from Ukraine, his certificate is not valid.'"

The MDCN has not responded to the BBC's request for comment.

Describing the policy as discriminatory, Mr Fehintola said he has thought over the announcement and has chosen to be motivated rather than see it as a drawback.

"l will say this to Nigeria: if that's what Nigeria wants, so be it. I will look for other countries to practise and that will be Nigeria's loss."

Grace Ladi Musa, who was five years into a medical degree at Kyiv Medical University when the war broke out, agrees.

"It's just not fair," she says

Grace Ladi Musa hopes that the medical council will change its mind

The 23-year-old tells the BBC the plans she had for her life have been turned upside-down - first by the war, then by the revelation that her studies would be considered invalid.

"I hope the Nigerian ministry of education would have a rethink."

Another medical student has even stronger words for Nigeria's authorities.

"Our own country is turning us away," says Emmanuella Oiza, a 17 year old in her second year of medical studies at Sumy State University.

"People are trying to get themselves better educated to come back home and make the country better, but you are sending them away."

The only solution is to mobilise, says 24-year-old veterinary student Samuel Otunla.

He plans to bring together Nigerian returnee students and petition the government to reverse the decision, and accuses it of failing to manage education to the extent that studying abroad is the only option for those who can afford.

We want to serve our fatherland. We want to help save lives in our community. That's what pushed us into becoming doctors.

The Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria has advised students who are currently studying medicine or dentistry in Ukrainian medical schools to seek transfers to accredited institutions in other countries.

It states that online medical training done in any part of the world falls short of accepted standards, and will not honour any medical degree certificates issued at the end of any online medical training.

"We want to serve our fatherland," says Mr Fehintola. "We want to help save lives in our own community, that's what pushed us into becoming doctors in the first place.

He also pays tribute to Ukraine.

"A country that is able to forge ahead in a war period to make sure their students still get the necessary requirements for studies, they are really the hero of this situation. Trying to rubbish their certificate I think is a slap to the Ukrainian government."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by Dvdpity: 2:32am On Jul 03, 2022
Those so called doctors trained in Ukraine are eye sore. They don't know anything. They are total disgrace. Both in clinical and theory. Lots of them are not even close to Nigerian trained doctors, talkless of been on par with them. I don't know if it's jamboree they went there to do.

8 Likes

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by mii4u(f): 3:16am On Jul 03, 2022
Truth be told, a course like medicine is not supposed to be done online.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by legendarystar: 3:23am On Jul 03, 2022
Lol
Online doctor.
I won’t allow him prescribe drugs to me let alone allow him practice on me.

We all know how to use google too cheesy

17 Likes

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by etrange: 4:36am On Jul 03, 2022
Dvdpity:
Those so called doctors trained in Ukraine are eye sore. They don't know anything. They are total disgrace. Both in clinical and theory. Lots of them are not even close to Nigerian trained doctors, talkless of been on par with them. I don't know if it's jamboree they went there to do.

Sorry sir, but I disagree with this submission. It's more opinionated than factual. You probably just don't like the country. I support Nigeria's decision too, but let's stick with the facts. Ukraine's medical education was doing just great prior to the war

How many of their doctors have you interacted with to come up with this assertion? There's a reason why Nigerian doctors are doing great abroad despite the poor education in the country. Yes, some schools are better than others, but the country of graduation is not really a major factor in MBBS provided that first, school is accredited by a body recognized by the WFME; second the school is recognized by the host country; and third, the individual is able to pass the regional professional license exams of the host country. This is why you see doctors from Sub-Saharan Africa getting jobs and doing well all over the world despite the so-called poor education in the region. Are you suggesting these countries are all better than Ukraine when it comes to medicine?

If the Ukrainian doctors you're referring to are practicing anywhere outside Ukraine, they are verted and considered as good as thier local counterparts. We have many of them here in the US/Canada and they're doing just as good as their colleagues from all over the world. The US/Canada will NEVER employ any medical practioner that can be described the way you did above. Besides, there's no single recognized med school rating out there that put Nigeria or any African country above Ukraine. Many of them have Ukraine in the top 10 to 20. So I'm surprised by your claims. If you had an ugly experience with a Ukrainian doctor, it definitely does not sum up the performance of the entire medical schools.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by godliman: 4:51am On Jul 03, 2022
etrange:

Sorry sir, but I disagree with this submission. It's more opinionated than factual. You probably just don't like the country.

Pray tell, how many of their doctors have you interacted with to come up with this bold assertion? Have you asked yourself why Nigerian doctors are doing great abroad despite the poor education in the country? Dude, some schools are better than others, but the country of graduation is not really a major factor in MBBS provided the school is accredited by a body recognized by the WFME and the individual is able to pass the regional professional license exams of the host country. This is why you see doctors from Sub-Saharan Africa getting jobs and doing well all over the world despite the so-called poor education in the region. Are you saying these countries are all better than Ukraine when it comes to medicine?

If the Ukrainian doctors you're referring to are practicing anywhere outside Ukraine, they are verted and considered as good as thier local counterparts. We have many of them here in the US/Canada and they're doing just as good as their colleagues from all over the world. The US/Canada will NEVER employ any medical practioner that can be described the way you did above. There's no single recognized med school rating out there that put Nigeria or any African country above Ukraine. Many of them have Ukraine in the top 10 to 20. So f you had an ugly experience with a Ukrainian doctor, it does not sum up the performance of the entire medical schools.
Thank you you just nailed it

3 Likes

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by ZIAZI(m): 4:54am On Jul 03, 2022
We are not experiencing a war situation and out students are at home.
These are countries with contingency plans, unlike Nigeria.
Knowledge can still be passed online! Gush!
So they really want the students to be like our "ASUU victims" when academic activities can still be done online?

Who do Nigeria this thing? They frown at anything innovative.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by Ndibuna: 5:39am On Jul 03, 2022
MDCN is 100% right here. Only if you guys understand what is happening. Ukraine is war torn and many oluwole certificates are been dished out. There is no country that will watch that happen. After the war then mdcn can recommence. Everything is not about sentiments.

8 Likes

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by Ndibuna: 5:42am On Jul 03, 2022
Dvdpity:
Nigerian doctors even discriminate against them bc they know nothing, then add to this. They should seek transfers elsewhere. That's the right thing to do. The government is right

1 Like

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by Ndibuna: 5:43am On Jul 03, 2022
etrange:

Sorry sir, but I disagree with this submission. It's more opinionated than factual. You probably just don't like the country.

How many of their doctors have you interacted with to come up with this assertion? There's a reason why Nigerian doctors are doing great abroad despite the poor education in the country. Yes, some schools are better than others, but the country of graduation is not really a major factor in MBBS provided that first, school is accredited by a body recognized by the WFME; second the school is recognized by the host country; and third, the individual is able to pass the regional professional license exams of the host country. This is why you see doctors from Sub-Saharan Africa getting jobs and doing well all over the world despite the so-called poor education in the region. Are you suggesting these countries are all better than Ukraine when it comes to medicine?

If the Ukrainian doctors you're referring to are practicing anywhere outside Ukraine, they are verted and considered as good as thier local counterparts. We have many of them here in the US/Canada and they're doing just as good as their colleagues from all over the world. The US/Canada will NEVER employ any medical practioner that can be described the way you did above. Besides, there's no single recognized med school rating out there that put Nigeria or any African country above Ukraine. Many of them have Ukraine in the top 10 to 20. So I'm surprised by your claims. If you had an ugly experience with a Ukrainian doctor, it definitely does not sum up the performance of the entire medical schools.
Ukraine trained Drs don't know 1/100000000 of what the Nigerian trained counterparts know. They know this themselves, so it is not for debate.

4 Likes

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by MrOkenwa(m): 5:44am On Jul 03, 2022
Unfortunately, they would need to look elsewhere to complete their training. Medicine cannot be entirely thought online, no matter how they sugarcoat it.
They should instead lobby the government to make arrangements for them to be absorbed by any accredited medical school in Nigeria, to complete their training.
Another option is to obtain their transcripts and get transferred to any of the private universities that offers medical training. They can also seek to be transferred to any other medical college in those neighboring countries.
Aside from MDCN, I'm registered with 3 other medical regulatory Authorities ( GMC-UK, DOH-ABU DHABI and DHA). I can tell you for a fact that MDCN is the most lenient, in terms of requirements to be fulfilled before being granted license to practice.

4 Likes

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by Ndibuna: 5:44am On Jul 03, 2022
ZIAZI:
So they really want the students to be like our "ASUU victims" when academic activities can still be done online?

Not all knowledge is passed online. Some are peculiar esp medicine. Imagine an online Dr without real patient experience. You be foool guy, will u allow such to treat u or your daughter

5 Likes

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by Ndibuna: 5:45am On Jul 03, 2022
MrOkenwa:
Unfortunately, they would need to look elsewhere to complete their training. Medicine cannot be entirely thought online, no matter how they sugarcoat it.
They should instead lobby the government to make arrangements for them to be absorbed by any accredited medical school in Nigeria, to complete their training.
Another option is to obtain their transcripts and get transferred to any of the private universities that offers medical training. They can also seek to be transferred to any other medical college in those neighboring countries.
Aside from MDCN, I'm registered with 3 other medical regulatory Authorities ( GMC-UK, DOH-ABU DHABI and DHA). I can tell you for a fact that MDCN is the most lenient, in terms of requirements to be fulfilled before being granted license to practice.
You're right 100% no sentiment here. Trying to blackmail Nigeria here is absurd

1 Like

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by Ndibuna: 5:46am On Jul 03, 2022
godliman:

Thank you you just nailed it
He didn't nail anything. Drs treat humans and their training shouldn't be considered by sentiments. They should seek transfers elsewhere to complete their studies, qed

1 Like

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by etrange: 5:47am On Jul 03, 2022
Ndibuna:

Ukraine trained Drs don't know 1/100000000 of what the Nigerian trained counterparts know. They know this themselves, so it is not for debate.

Lol... Don't worry, I'm not even gonna try to debate a baseless statement. I have better things to do with my time.
Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by Ndibuna: 5:48am On Jul 03, 2022
etrange:

Lol... Don't worry, I'm not even gonna try to debate a baseless statement. I have better things to do with my time.
Bc you know nothing of what you're writing. I'm telling u fact which u need to find out yourself.

How can people who are not allowed to touch white patients know anything close to Nigerian trained Drs with heavy access to patients. U think say medicine be like social studies taught online? Lol

8 Likes

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by juman(m): 6:10am On Jul 03, 2022
MDCN des not joke with their job.
Medical profession deals with saving lives.

I think those students should transfer their studies to nigerian university.

1 Like

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by MrOkenwa(m): 6:21am On Jul 03, 2022
Ndibuna:

Bc you know nothing of what you're writing. I'm telling u fact which u need to find out yourself.

How can people who are not allowed to touch white patients know anything close to Nigerian trained Drs with heavy access to patients. U think say medicine be like social studies taught online? Lol
In those days,as a resident, if you have a Nigerian trained HO on call with you, you can have a small nap. If otherwise, dem no born you well.
A lady, Russian trained almost got me in trouble in the OR. I can never forget that experience. I never trust any HO since that time, even though I know what naija trained HO's are doing outside.

3 Likes

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by Ndibuna: 6:29am On Jul 03, 2022
MrOkenwa:

In those days,as a resident, if you have a Nigerian trained HO on call with you, you can have a small nap. If otherwise, dem no born you well.
A lady, Russian trained almost got me in trouble in the OR. I can never forget that experience. I never trust any HO since that time, even though I know what naija trained HO's are doing outside.
You were once a HO though. But I think mdcn is right on this one

1 Like

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by MrOkenwa(m): 6:40am On Jul 03, 2022
Ndibuna:

You were once a HO though. But I think mdcn is right on this one
Of course and I trained many before I left. I became paranoid after a particular experience. Make I just stop here. Have a great day chief.

1 Like

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by ZIAZI(m): 7:50am On Jul 03, 2022
Ndibuna:

Not all knowledge is passed online. Some are peculiar esp medicine. Imagine an online Dr without real patient experience. You be foool guy, will u allow such to treat u or your daughter

I personally detest responding to your ilk on this platform. Must you be so uncouth and vile? Disagree with me without using abusive words.
By the way, the guy in question is in his 6th year, and not just a JJC. AND please, do not underestimate the power of the internet.

1 Like

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by Ndibuna: 8:14am On Jul 03, 2022
ZIAZI:

I personally detest responding to your ilk on this platform. Must you be so uncouth and vile? Disagree with me without using abusive words.
By the way, the guy in question is in his 6th year, and not just a JJC. AND please, do not underestimate the power of the internet.
Internet no reach anywhere in study of medicine. This is the bitter truth. You need to interact with the patients, examine and know in real life what happens. Why do you think even other sciences use rabbits for experiment. Science is not sociology

1 Like

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by Ndibuna: 8:16am On Jul 03, 2022
MrOkenwa:

Of course and I trained many before I left. I became paranoid after a particular experience. Make I just stop here. Have a great day chief.
You too, you now practice in UK I guess.
Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by Tjesctacy(m): 8:33am On Jul 03, 2022
This is a dicey situation, but for a country perpetually suffering from brain drain, this is not the best way to go.

Okay, you have reservations about their training and experience because of the war, there should be a way to incorporate them into an existing system that either trains or validate their qualifications and experience. You do not outrightly turns these guys away. We need the man power.

Come to the health centers, doctors are overwhelmed X5, "super-oversaturated-overwhelmed", if there is anything like that. Health centers lack specialty doctors and believe me people are dying every day.

We lack empathy in this part of the world, it's either you are part of us and we let you in or you are not, and we shut you out. Few thinks about trying to get you better to serve us better.

My submission.
Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by ZIAZI(m): 9:14am On Jul 03, 2022
Ndibuna:

Internet no reach anywhere in study of medicine. This is the bitter truth. You need to interact with the patients, examine and know in real life what happens. Why do you think even other sciences use rabbits for experiment. Science is not sociology

1 Like

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by kenedy175(m): 9:33am On Jul 03, 2022
So what's the way forward?

It will be sad turning these young chaps down after spending 5 years studying to become a doctor.

However, courses like medicine aren't done online. It has and can never be.

Medicine is more like apprenticeship. You don't learn apprenticeship online.

A solution should be made for the students

1 Like

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by kenedy175(m): 9:46am On Jul 03, 2022
ZIAZI:

The situation is a sad one. I can only imagine what goes through the minds of such students after spending so much time In school.

It seems you're foreign trained too. I really wish an amicable solution could be proffered.

Just for clarification, at what year/level do you gain access to patients?
Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by RealEzee(m): 10:16am On Jul 03, 2022
As a result of the war their ukraine school decided not to stop education and imployed online learning for the time been shey? Abi na from the on set ? Cos if its the former than i no see wetin dey make naija dey buga as if dem way dey hia try pass

I go like ratings of naija doctors home grown vs ukraine doctors ,e get wetin i won confirm wink
Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by Nobody: 10:47am On Jul 03, 2022
BBC should go and rest. If Nigeria believe the education is not up to standard so what? Nigerian doctors are on high demand globally so don't even bring those inferiority complex here

1 Like

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by Tonymegabush1(m): 11:24am On Jul 03, 2022
Medical inclined profession is not degree one should acquire online,

1 Like

Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by ZIAZI(m): 12:01pm On Jul 03, 2022
kenedy175:

The situation is a sad one. I can only imagine what goes through the minds of such students after spending so much time In school.

It seems you're foreign trained too. I really wish an amicable solution could be proffered.

Just for clarification, at what year/level do you gain access to patients?

I am home trained, bro.

I was in the Nigerian Law School, when COVID-19 hit us bad. What happened? We resorted to virtual classes and even though it was still alien to us, it helped immensely.
Re: Cruel Fate: Nigeria Rejects Ukraine Degrees: 'it's Not Fair' BBC Reports by Lordbinsmar: 12:05pm On Jul 03, 2022
angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Adamawa State University, Mubi / Waec Certificate Recovery / Laspotech Post Utme Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.