Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:26 AM

UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands (21397 Views)

UNIJOS Student Abdulsalam Idris Beaten To Death By Course Mates Over N30k Bribe / Nigerian Students Amass Degrees To Stay In Europe / Abdulkareem, UNILORIN VC Strips Graduands Off Their Gowns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by Timekeeper: 9:34pm On Jun 09, 2018
Nearly 20 graduands from the Department of Law at the University of Jos have been erroneously awarded First Class degrees by the university, PREMIUM TIMES can report.

The error, which occurred on the university’s convocation ceremony web portal, saw several graduands of the department’s 2015/2016 academic session bagging First Class degrees.

The 2015/2016 set of Law students at the university produced only one First Class graduand, Olusegun Pelumi Adewunmi.

Ahead of the university’s convocation ceremony on June 23, the graduands were instructed to check the website to ensure their information were correct.

Several graduands from the Law Department who spoke to PREMIUM TIMES said they logged on to discover they had been awarded a higher class of degree.

“I have a 2.1 (Second Class Upper Division) but my class of degree on that page was First Class,” one of the graduands who requested not to be named said.

“I saw it yesterday and I tried correcting it. I was thinking it was the NUC, there was a time they were trying to reduce the grading system like those people on 4 points, First Class, so I was thinking maybe that was what happened.

“I tried communicating with some of my mates in class and they said it was an error.”

Another graduand, Collins Elechi, said it’s likely to be a clerical error.

“Prior to now everybody knew their classes of degree,” said Mr Elechi, who also graduated with a Second Class Upper but saw ‘First Class’ on the university’s website.
“It shouldn’t be that way, it should be corrected. I understand it’s a human system and sometimes these things happen, I like people to be given benefit of doubt.”
When contacted, Clement Dakkas, the Dean of the Faculty of Law, described it as “strange.”

“This is news to me,” Mr Dakkas, a professor of Law, told PREMIUM TIMES.

“Matters of this nature are addressed by the Registrar, but my recollection is that you know in the entire history of the university, we have produced only three First Class in Law. The first in 1980, the second in 1990 – and incidentally I was the second in 1990 – and then one young man, I think, a year ago.

“So to have more than one clearly there must be an error somewhere.”

Ishaya Tanko, a professor and the university’s Director of ICT, said he was unaware of the development.
“What I’m going to do is I’m going to report now, I’ll take that up and get the appropriate authorities to confirm.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/271734-confusion-as-unijos-erroneously-awards-first-class-degrees-to-graduands.html?amp_markup=1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by Nobody: 12:19am On Jun 10, 2018
This is Nigeria. A whole citadel of learning is not exempted from the very mess that has become a part of us as a nation.

20 Likes

Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by HigherEd: 1:30am On Jun 10, 2018
Lool oga o
Lalasticlala
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by CodeTemplar: 2:24am On Jun 10, 2018
Only God knows how many they have awarderd in time past.

2 Likes

Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by missioner(m): 6:43am On Jun 10, 2018
Heads should roll.
That's a costly mistake. It can bigly dent the school's image.

3 Likes

Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by AK6464(m): 7:33am On Jun 10, 2018
grin
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by pawesome(m): 8:36am On Jun 10, 2018
Na so
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by tokrizy: 8:36am On Jun 10, 2018
sad
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by akeentech(m): 8:36am On Jun 10, 2018
HigherEd:
Lool oga o Lalasticlala
I'm here

3 Likes

Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by castrol180(m): 8:39am On Jun 10, 2018
...when what the lecturers use their head to think these days is how to knack students' pùssies for mark upgrades.

4 Likes

Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by Benblaq(m): 8:40am On Jun 10, 2018
Lol! Only in Naijiriya Education no get levels again! Education no get essence again
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by Maket: 8:41am On Jun 10, 2018
This is as a result of vegetable professors heading faculties.
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by Consultville(m): 8:42am On Jun 10, 2018
interesting
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by Samogbo1(m): 8:43am On Jun 10, 2018
Y
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by IMASTEX: 8:45am On Jun 10, 2018
Does it matter?! We know the current education standard of Nigeria. Don't forget this is Nigeria. Where there is no system and direction.
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by IMASTEX: 8:46am On Jun 10, 2018
Maket:
This is as a result of vegetable professors heading faculties.
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by Joshuamilarge(m): 8:46am On Jun 10, 2018
simply put " it was a miracle " hey hey " another Miracle.
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by segebase(m): 8:47am On Jun 10, 2018
v
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by qanda: 8:49am On Jun 10, 2018
Quite an expensive mistake.
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by einsteino(m): 8:53am On Jun 10, 2018
“Matters of this nature are addressed by the Registrar, but my recollection is that you know in the entire history of the university, we have produced only three First Class in Law. The first in 1980, the second in 1990 – and incidentally I was the second in 1990 – and then one young man, I think, a year ago.

“So to have more than one clearly there must be an error somewhere.”

The bolded is the problem with our system. The Dean just openly admitted that there is a system that rations excellence regardless of how many people work hard and merit it. I remember there was a time when Electronics Engineering dept in UNN produced over 10 first class and the faculty sat down to slash their CGPA down to 4.49 cos of this same mentality of having more than a few first class is abnormal. A system that rations success is lethal.

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by jordyspices: 8:56am On Jun 10, 2018
Na wah oh dese kind of mistake we will not take it
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by virago(f): 8:58am On Jun 10, 2018
The affected students should take it in good faith
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by thundafire: 9:11am On Jun 10, 2018
Naija for U,typical of having an A but c an F in CGPA but not having F and cin A in cgpa
Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by spectator2001: 9:19am On Jun 10, 2018
The National Universities Commission in Nigeria should step up its acts. What on earth are they regulating when clerical blunders like this becomes a regular occurrence without appropriate sanctions on such institutions?

There is need for Universities to ensure that the results and certficates of graduating students are treated with optimal diligence before issuance. This is a national disgrace.

Universities in Nigeria are just structures of mediocre compositions headed by foreign trained professors who have repeatedly failed to infuse their western-acquired knowledge into resuscitating our citadels of learning!

2 Likes

Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by spectator2001: 9:26am On Jun 10, 2018
einsteino:

The bolded is the problem with our system. The Dean just openly admitted that there is a system that rations excellence regardless of how many people work hard and merit it. I remember there was a time when Electronics Engineering dept in UNN produced over 10 first class and the faculty sat down to slash their CGPA down to 4.49 cos of this same mentality of having more than a few first class is abnormal. A system that rations success is lethal.

EXACTLY!

The Nigerian educational system as championed by the proponents of "my school doesn't give first class anyhow" is nothing but a serious existential threat to the future of unborn scholars.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by LordIsaac(m): 10:12am On Jun 10, 2018
einsteino:

It is highly despicable to hear such from a Professor of Law...it's pathetic denying people of deserving grades in a bid to maintain a status quo of mediocrity !

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by Rainmaker69(m): 10:15am On Jun 10, 2018
In 2018 ya doing convocation for 2015/2016... Na real wah.

1 Like

Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by dshe: 10:19am On Jun 10, 2018
einsteino:

In unijos eh, careers are ruined. The school produces more pass degrees than any other. They purposely downgrade most students with the so called aim of "maintaining excellence". Holders of 2nd class upper are actually first class graduates and if you dare apply for remarking/regrading eh, I pity malaria.

12 Likes

Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by Focusmind: 11:05am On Jun 10, 2018
missioner:
Heads should roll.

That's a costly mistake.
It can bigly dent the school's image.

Which image? Do Nigeria universities have any image both home and abroad?

1 Like

Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by coolebux(m): 11:13am On Jun 10, 2018
And where is the mumuric kwan?

Meanwhile

2 Likes

Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by youngmann: 11:14am On Jun 10, 2018

1 Like

Re: UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands by HeGeMon(m): 11:20am On Jun 10, 2018
grin your head dey there, � i don laff tire!
dshe:

In unijos eh, careers are ruined. The school produces more pass degrees than any other. They purposely downgrade most students with the so called aim of "maintaining excellence". Holders of 2nd class upper are actually first class graduates and if you dare apply for remarking/regrading eh, I pity malaria.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jamb Cut Off Mark / Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React / Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.