Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,782 members, 7,824,264 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

Delta Offers Passengers $10,000 each to Take A Later Flight - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Delta Offers Passengers $10,000 each to Take A Later Flight (742 Views)

Twitter Japa Advisor Caught Going Against Her Own Advice 2 Years Later / 105 Years Later, A Letter In A Bottle Thrown From Titanic's Deck Found (Pics) / Man Rejected A Bus That Later Had An Accident That Killed All The Passengers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Delta Offers Passengers $10,000 each to Take A Later Flight by 1stGenAmerican(f): 11:44pm On Jul 03, 2022
In the thread I started giving step by step instructions on booking your on flight I touched on this subject. I
volunteer anytime it’s needed and have an account stuffed with airline vouchers.

An oversold flight prompted Delta Air Lines to offer thousands of dollars to passengers willing to give up their seats and take a later flight to Minnesota.

Passengers on board the flight from Grand Rapids, Michigan to Minneapolis, Minnesota were told the plane was overbooked after boarding had already begun, The Independent reported. Airline staff told passengers they needed eight volunteers willing to take a later flight, and in exchange those passengers would be given $10,000 each, The Independent reported.
Jason Aten, a columnist for Inc. magazine, wrote that he was on board the flight with his family, as part of a planned trip to Alaska. He wrote an article for the magazine about the experience, saying that Delta was offering the money immediately, with the flight attendant saying, “If you have Apple Pay, you’ll even have the money right now.”

“They came on the PA system and said that they were looking for volunteers and that they were willing to pay $10,000, which everyone assumed they’d heard it wrong,” Aten told WOOD-TV.

Aten told Fortune that he and his family declined to take the money.

“The reason we didn’t jump on it was because they didn’t initially say how many volunteers they needed,” Aten told Fortune. “Had we known it was eight, we would have gotten off. By the time that was clear, four or five people had already left.”

Another passenger who said they were on the flight, Todd McCrumb, posted his experience on Twitter, saying that he was unable to take the offer because of his wife’s health limitations.

Delta changed its policy in 2017, increasing the maximum payout to passengers for voluntary denied boardings from $1,350 to $9,950, CNBC reported at the time.

A Delta spokesperson did not confirm or deny the money offered to people on the recent flight, but said, “The ability to provide compensation empowers our employees to take care of our customers and get our aircraft out on time.”

In a letter to customers Thursday, Delta CEO Ed Bastian apologized for recent delays and cancellations, as the airline battled weather delays coupled with understaffing. In the letter, Bastian said that Delta is shifting its employees and making logistical changes to prevent delays and cancellations, ABC News reported.

https://twitter.com/jasonaten/status/1541372274984484864?s=12

2 Likes

Re: Delta Offers Passengers $10,000 each to Take A Later Flight by Stargangz: 11:55pm On Jul 03, 2022
$10k? that should be over 5m Naira. I trust my country 9ja, if that should happen here, all passengers will give up their seats grin

1 Like

Re: Delta Offers Passengers $10,000 each to Take A Later Flight by chatinent: 12:13am On Jul 04, 2022
In Nigeria, your flight will the delayed and denied. You will be insulted and they'll hit you with the big blow: “nothing will happen.”
Re: Delta Offers Passengers $10,000 each to Take A Later Flight by 1stGenAmerican(f): 12:18am On Jul 04, 2022
Stargangz:
$10k? that should be over 5m Naira. I trust my country 9ja, if that should happen here, all passengers will give up their seats grin

In Naija yes! $10,000 and passengers who have ApplePay would most likely see the money before getting off the plane. If I was on that flight, I would do what I always do: raise my hand and shout my name and seat number. If I couldn’t wait for the next flight, $10,000 is more than ample to get on another airline or rent a car at the same airport and drive then use what’s left of the $10,000 to pay my bills for the next 4-5 months or take the money and book a vacation and use the change to splurge on that vacation.

1 Like

Re: Delta Offers Passengers $10,000 each to Take A Later Flight by 1stGenAmerican(f): 12:20am On Jul 04, 2022
chatinent:
In Nigeria, your flight will the delayed and denied. You will be insulted and they'll hit you with the big blow: “nothing will happen.”

You’re saying the truth because when the Oyinbo posted the bad review on Airpeace, monikers were angry and said he should be happy he made it to his destination safely. It looks like Nigerian companies either don’t know or don’t care about customer satisfaction. Things he listed are unacceptable coming from an airline. This also explains why those airlines won’t ever grow to offer service outside of Naija or where they service now.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Delta Offers Passengers $10,000 each to Take A Later Flight by DaddyFreeze2020(m): 12:49am On Jul 04, 2022
When faced with necessities, money cannot be used to lure an average white man.

If its black Americans, the whole plane will be empty even if they have important issues to attend to.
Re: Delta Offers Passengers $10,000 each to Take A Later Flight by 1stGenAmerican(f): 1:49am On Jul 04, 2022
DaddyFreeze2020:
When faced with necessities, money cannot be used to lure an average white man.

If its black Americans, the whole plane will be empty even if they have important issues to attend to.

Too bad you’re wrong, my guy. Whites crowd the exit and aisle the moment they hear the mic turn on. Seems you don’t know any American whites because they’re the greediest people in this country.

1 Like

Re: Delta Offers Passengers $10,000 each to Take A Later Flight by lilvicky68(m): 7:26am On Jul 04, 2022
With 10k dollars I would offer both my seat, clothes, shoes and luggages to take another flight

2 Likes

Re: Delta Offers Passengers $10,000 each to Take A Later Flight by AlphaTaikun: 4:10pm On Jul 04, 2022
1stGenAmerican:
In the thread I started giving step by step instructions on booking your on flight I touched on this subject. I
volunteer anytime it’s needed and have an account stuffed with airline vouchers.

An oversold flight prompted Delta Air Lines to offer thousands of dollars to passengers willing to give up their seats and take a later flight to Minnesota.

Passengers on board the flight from Grand Rapids, Michigan to Minneapolis, Minnesota were told the plane was overbooked after boarding had already begun, The Independent reported. Airline staff told passengers they needed eight volunteers willing to take a later flight, and in exchange those passengers would be given $10,000 each, The Independent reported.
Jason Aten, a columnist for Inc. magazine, wrote that he was on board the flight with his family, as part of a planned trip to Alaska. He wrote an article for the magazine about the experience, saying that Delta was offering the money immediately, with the flight attendant saying, “If you have Apple Pay, you’ll even have the money right now.”

“They came on the PA system and said that they were looking for volunteers and that they were willing to pay $10,000, which everyone assumed they’d heard it wrong,” Aten told WOOD-TV.

Aten told Fortune that he and his family declined to take the money.

“The reason we didn’t jump on it was because they didn’t initially say how many volunteers they needed,” Aten told Fortune. “Had we known it was eight, we would have gotten off. By the time that was clear, four or five people had already left.”

Another passenger who said they were on the flight, Todd McCrumb, posted his experience on Twitter, saying that he was unable to take the offer because of his wife’s health limitations.

Delta changed its policy in 2017, increasing the maximum payout to passengers for voluntary denied boardings from $1,350 to $9,950, CNBC reported at the time.

A Delta spokesperson did not confirm or deny the money offered to people on the recent flight, but said, “The ability to provide compensation empowers our employees to take care of our customers and get our aircraft out on time.”

In a letter to customers Thursday, Delta CEO Ed Bastian apologized for recent delays and cancellations, as the airline battled weather delays coupled with understaffing. In the letter, Bastian said that Delta is shifting its employees and making logistical changes to prevent delays and cancellations, ABC News reported.

https://twitter.com/jasonaten/status/1541372274984484864?s=12
Jason Aten and his family just missed a potential Delta Airlines compensation of a whopping $80,000 that could have gone into some immediate expenses and then save the rest as a buffer for any future economic headwinds! grin

Better to keep your eyes and ears wide open to grab opportunities in life. You have to be nimble! This event could be used as a case study in Business School and in investment classes.

If only this kind of "aviation thunder" can strike twice on that same flight route, your "ApplePay" would be on steroids... Lol.

An insightful post.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Delta Offers Passengers $10,000 each to Take A Later Flight by AlphaTaikun: 4:22pm On Jul 04, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

In Naija yes! $10,000 and passengers who have ApplePay would most likely see the money before getting off the plane. If I was on that flight, I would do what I always do: raise my hand and shout my name and seat number. If I couldn’t wait for the next flight, $10,000 is more than ample to get on another airline or rent a car at the same airport and drive then use what’s left of the $10,000 to pay my bills for the next 4-5 months or take the money and book a vacation and use the change to splurge on that vacation.
You're wise... and you seem to have an appreciable level of financial education that could see you retire early... (i.e., if you so desire). wink

Happy Independence Holiday.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Delta Offers Passengers $10,000 each to Take A Later Flight by lexy2014: 6:25pm On Jul 06, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

You’re saying the truth because when the Oyinbo posted the bad review on Airpeace, monikers were angry and said he should be happy he made it to his destination safely. It looks like Nigerian companies either don’t know or don’t care about customer satisfaction. Things he listed are unacceptable coming from an airline. This also explains why those airlines won’t ever grow to offer service outside of Naija or where they service now.

It's not that Nigerian companies don’t know about customer satisfaction. they just don’t care about customer satisfaction. Even the so called multinationals are guilty. They preach it to their employees and sing the refrain in their adverts, but in reality it's the opposite. The hypocrisy is huge. When it comes to owning up and compensating customers, customer satisfaction in Nigeria doesn't include all that. In some cases they will apologize, but they really don't mean it as they can't put their money where their mouth is. I believe the reason is because our institutions are weak so customers are left at the mercy of companies. In telcoms industry for instance, service providers are reaping off customers but the regulators and the minister in charge are more interested in NIN & in blocking people's line because of NIN than in ensuring customers get value for their money

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

A Visit To Asa Dam In Kwara State ➕ Interesting Myth About The Asa River / Which Do You Suggest / Family Travel World Before Children Go Blind (pics, video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.