Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,307 members, 7,815,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria (1214 Views)

What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Machine Learning Engineer? / Must I Become A Programmer To Own A Start-up? / Serious Php/go/scala/python/javascript Developers Needed To Join A Start Up. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 6:09pm On Jul 04, 2022
Earlier I asked in this forum if I should relocate or establish a start-up based on my situation. I got a lot of genuine advise for both options. It was really an eye opener. You can read about it here https://www.nairaland.com/7181099/should-relocate-work-remotely-developer

First I want to thank all the people that shared their opinion:
airsaylongcome
Maclink288
bet9ja
LikeAking
truthsayer009 (special thanks)
motionarena
satandeterrible
Playermaywed
jackcanfield

These guys were awesome. After I carefully went through these feedback and putting other factors into consideration I decided to stage a start-up here in Nigeria.

I have come to the conclusion that if I get the start-up right, it can take me to any part of the world.

My resolution is:

1. To build a start-up that can scale globally
2. To build a start-up that can attract at least $2Million pre-seed investment
3. To start small and scale bigger in a short span
4. To launch my start-up in early 2023
5. To get all relevant licenses and legal backing

To begin, I plan to join the Founder Institute (https://fi.co/) Lagos Fall 2022 to accelerate my start-up and boost my chance of getting funded. Although the $399 application fee is a bit high.

I can also use all the help I can get. I want to assemble one of the best team in terms of the governing body, developers and staff.

I am currently looking for a few Nigerians who are experienced in the following fields to join my team:
1. Flutter Engineer (2 persons)
2. Python Backend Engineer (2 persons)
3. Node.js Backend Engineer (2 persons)
4. Senior React Engineer (3)
5. DevOps & Cloud Engineer (2 persons)
6. DevTools Engineer (1 person)
7. Database Engineer (2 persons)
8. UX/UI Designer (2 persons)
9. Frontend Engineer - API Design, API Publishing, Design System, API Client (2 persons)
10. Market Researcher (at least 1 person per community)
11. Web Research & Content Creator (1000 persons)

For some of the positions above, I will hire international consultants to complement the skills of the team. This will be for the duration of the project leading to the launching. For some of the tasks, I will make some financial remuneration that is reasonably acceptable based on the person's skill level. But since this is a project that has not kick-off, there is limit to the level I can pay. If you are interested just indicate below.

I will be sharing my progress in this thread as a guide to others who may want to follow this path.

I will also appreciate any feedback from those who have followed this journey.

3 Likes

Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:13pm On Jul 04, 2022
Good luck.
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by Tobilyn77: 6:47pm On Jul 04, 2022
Hello boss. I would like to indicate interest to join the team as a front end engineer
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by Redbishop(m): 6:54pm On Jul 04, 2022
Will be glad to offer my skills as a content creator and web researcher
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 6:56pm On Jul 04, 2022
Thanks thanks
tensazangetsu20:
Good luck.
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 6:57pm On Jul 04, 2022
For this I will email you with what I am looking for. Thanks for showing interest.
Tobilyn77:
Hello boss. I would like to indicate interest to join the team as a front end engineer
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 6:58pm On Jul 04, 2022
Noted. I will get back to you. Thanks
Redbishop:
Will be glad to offer my skills as a content creator and web researcher
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 8:16am On Jul 05, 2022
Entrepreneurship is not easy especially when you have to launch an IT start up. Since I created this thread I have consumed over 2hrs plus videos, 100 plus articles and PDF on some advance DevOps and software architecture using microservices approach. I am also using the opportunity to document potential consultants and service providers. Stay tuned guys this will be fun.
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by Eaztzide: 8:27am On Jul 05, 2022
Good morning realunclej. So happy you eventually decided on going this route. I pray for clarity and strength in your endeavour as you press ahead. Amen

In that case, I'll like to offer my skills in Python for the backend side. Thanks
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 8:37am On Jul 05, 2022
Eaztzide:
Good morning realunclej. So happy you eventually decided on going this route. I pray for clarity and strength in your endeavour as you press ahead. Amen

In that case, I'll like to offer my skills in Python for the backend side. Thanks
Loud Amen!!! I'll keep in touch with respect to the Python. I am yet to decide the Python framework I'll be needing or if it will be a combination of different ones.
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 05, 2022
realunclej:
Earlier I asked in this forum if I should relocate or establish a start-up based on my situation. I got a lot of genuine advise for both options. It was really an eye opener. You can read about it here https://www.nairaland.com/7181099/should-relocate-work-remotely-developer

airsaylongcome
Maclink288
bet9ja
LikeAking
motionarena
satandeterrible
Playermaywed
jackcanfield

These guys were awesome. After I carefully went through these feedback and putting other factors into consideration I decided to stage a start-up here in Nigeria.

I have come to the conclusion that if I get the start-up right, it can take me to any part of the world.

My resolution is:

To begin, I plan to join the Founder Institute (https://fi.co/) Lagos Fall 2022 to accelerate my start-up and boost my chance of getting funded. Although the $399 application fee is a bit high.

I can also use all the help I can get. I want to assemble one of the best team in terms of the governing body, developers and staff.

I am currently looking for a few Nigerians who are experienced in the following fields to join my team:
9. Frontend Engineer - API Design, API Publishing, Design System, API Client (2 persons)

For some of the positions above, I will hire international consultants to complement the skills of the team. This will be for the duration of the project leading to the launching. For some of the tasks, I will make some financial remuneration that is reasonably acceptable based on the person's skill level. But since this is a project that has not kick-off, there is limit to the level I can pay. If you are interested just indicate below.

I will be sharing my progress in this thread as a guide to others who may want to follow this path.

I wish you good luck smiley
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 10:00am On Jul 05, 2022
Think4Myself:

I wish you good luck smiley
Thanks.
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 05, 2022
realunclej:
Entrepreneurship is not easy especially when you have to launch an IT start up. Since I created this thread I have consumed over 2hrs plus videos, 100 plus articles and PDF on some advance DevOps and software architecture using microservices approach. I am also using the opportunity to document potential consultants and service providers. Stay tuned guys this will be fun.

would their be chance for interns??
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 12:03pm On Jul 05, 2022
branham890:

would their be chance for interns??
Physical Internship will be after luncheon. I only provide online training for would-be developer
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by Towbaba500(m): 1:17pm On Jul 05, 2022
Hello boss, I would love to be a part of this journey.I'm interested in the nodejs delevoper role.
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 2:02pm On Jul 05, 2022
Towbaba500:
Hello boss, I would love to be a part of this journey.I'm interested in the nodejs delevoper role.
Thanks for the interest. I'll keep you posted
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by Stan2Smith: 2:33pm On Jul 05, 2022
realunclej:

airsaylongcome
Maclink288
bet9ja
LikeAking
motionarena
satandeterrible
Playermaywed
jackcanfield

My resolution is:

I would love to be a part of the journey

My skills

Front-End:
Tailwindcss
Reactjs/Vuejs/jquery
Html/css/js

Backend:
Python Django
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 2:35pm On Jul 05, 2022
Thanks. I'll keep you posted
Stan2Smith:

I would love to be a part of the journey

My skills

Front-End:
Tailwindcss
Reactjs/Vuejs/jquery
Html/css/js

Backend:
Python Django

1 Like

Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by nnamdiosu(m): 2:42pm On Jul 05, 2022
realunclej:

airsaylongcome
Maclink288
bet9ja
LikeAking
motionarena
satandeterrible
Playermaywed
jackcanfield

My resolution is:

Bro you are choking the project. The number of people you have listed above are two much. How come no project manager or product manager is on the list. Those are the people to shape the drive/road map of your product.

A start up is too churn out products right?
Reduce the list , secure spaces for a pm or Po.

Except you want to get them above as volunteers, which in my experience is a bad thing for a start up.
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 3:09pm On Jul 05, 2022
nnamdiosu:

Bro you are choking the project. The number of people you have listed above are two much. How come no project manager or product manager is on the list. Those are the people to shape the drive/road map of your product.

A start up is too churn out products right?
Reduce the list , secure spaces for a pm or Po.

Except you want to get them above as volunteers, which in my experience is a bad thing for a start up.
Actually I have shortlisted the two roles as part of the role I will hire for. I am developing an Agile process for the project management. I wish to use a software platform to follow up. Besides, that is one area I am very good with. However, I will be employing one person in that field so I deliberately left it out till when the time is ripe. As for the number of people showing interest, I'll have a basic requirement as I can use any help. I'll also be hiring expert consultants from the circle of people I am working with now mainly from Indian and US. So the more the merrier. That way I can get the best. I can't settle for less.

By the way thanks for the advise. You are spot on.

1 Like

Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by thanksjosh005: 3:18pm On Jul 05, 2022
I am interested in startups. I could be a part of your team.
But a systems analyst might go in place of a market researcher you stated since it's a tech startup.

And ... honestly, there actually is some homework that needs to be done, first sad
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 3:25pm On Jul 05, 2022
thanksjosh005:
I am interested in startups. I could be a part of your team.
But a systems analyst might go in place of a market researcher you stated since it's a tech startup.

And ... honestly, there actually is some homework that needs to be done, first sad
Hmm I don't know where the job title will fit in. But my application will be partly data-driven so I intend to bring onboard Data Analyst. Also I will also be looking at Platform Engineer at some point. But I will look into that role and my list of roles. Like I said this is highly interesting.
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by qtguru(m): 3:49pm On Jul 05, 2022
I think that's a good idea, not a startup but I am building an agency for consultation. One can make money than looking for gigs all the time.
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 4:20pm On Jul 05, 2022
qtguru:
I think that's a good idea, not a startup but I am building an agency for consultation. One can make money than looking for gigs all the time.
That's great. It's good to think outside the box.
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by nnamdiosu(m): 6:11pm On Jul 05, 2022
realunclej:
Actually I have shortlisted the two roles as part of the role I will hire for. I am developing an Agile process for the project management. I wish to use a software platform to follow up. Besides, that is one area I am very good with. However, I will be employing one person in that field so I deliberately left it out till when the time is ripe. As for the number of people showing interest, I'll have a basic requirement as I can use any help. I'll also be hiring expert consultants from the circle of people I am working with now mainly from Indian and US. So the more the merrier. That way I can get the best. I can't settle for less.

By the way thanks for the advise. You are spot on.

You welcome bro.

Your ability to accept advises and inputs from people is a very good one...the major skill an techprenure needs.

However I still insist you watch the peollee that come in. Too much isn't really merrier. It can be messier.

If you look at all the unicorns existing now, you will notice one coming trend. They started simple and lean, and scaled up as time went on.
Some started with just 3 friends. And increased as time went on.
I understand that tech has improved and way of development, but from my many experiences, it's still the best for start ups.

They will be lots and lots.of expense. You need every single Kobo for that.
I suggest you also mount an investor pitch deck. While your team commence early production, begin to pitch.

I wish you success.
If you need consultation or advised, feel free to reach out to me.
Cheers brother.
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by Ajaxjay1996: 9:06pm On Jul 05, 2022
If you need a legal aid. I will be glad. I have legal knowledge and I'm also a junior developer in Training. I will do this for free just to be part of a tech project

1 Like

Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by Ajibade123(m): 10:27pm On Jul 05, 2022
realunclej:

airsaylongcome
Maclink288
bet9ja
LikeAking
motionarena
satandeterrible
Playermaywed
jackcanfield

My resolution is:

I am interested in number 9
I am a junior front end developer with react
can I reach out to you??
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 1:23am On Jul 06, 2022
sure
Ajibade123:

I am interested in number 9
I am a junior front end developer with react
can I reach out to you??
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by JoyousFurnitire(m): 5:38am On Jul 06, 2022
realunclej:
Physical Internship will be after luncheon. I only provide online training for would-be developer
Good luck boss
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 5:59am On Jul 06, 2022
JoyousFurnitire:

Good luck boss
Thank you

1 Like

Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by Emeraldfynest(m): 7:09am On Jul 06, 2022
Hello boss, good morning. I wish you the best on this venture, I will like to join the team as a UI/UX Designer.
Re: Relocate VS Start-up? I Have Decided To Establish A Start-up Here In Nigeria by realunclej(m): 7:13am On Jul 06, 2022
Emeraldfynest:
Hello boss, good luck on starting, I will like to join the team as a UI/UX Designer.
Thanks for showing interest. I will keep in touch

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Project - Computer Networking Specialist Needed / Freelance: Programming with Microsoft Office Excel. / $7/hr Programming Job Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.