Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,162 members, 7,829,158 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

Efcc Vs Donald Duke - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Efcc Vs Donald Duke (1370 Views)

Corruption Fights Back: EFCC Vs A Reactionary Elite. / EFCC Vs Tompolo / Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Efcc Vs Donald Duke by oliky(m): 11:09am On Aug 13, 2007
hello there,read in the news about one of the best gov of the past era being in an Efcc mess.I dont know what to really believe anymore if a man like gov donald duke is found in a mess like that.What do you really think,could he be really guilty of corrupt practices because i really did like that chap.

Learn how you can get financial support for your academics,visit
rapidstudentloans.com
unconditionalloans.com
travelsmadeeasy.net
Re: Efcc Vs Donald Duke by desgiezd(m): 12:42pm On Aug 13, 2007
This thread is rather sketchy, what manner of mess is he in? Did he embezzle money from the Tinapa Project or what? Please provide the link to your story.
Re: Efcc Vs Donald Duke by cgift(m): 2:45pm On Aug 13, 2007
I think so too. We need more info.
Re: Efcc Vs Donald Duke by LondonCool(m): 5:47pm On Jan 14, 2008
A group of ex-Local Govt Council chairmen backed up by sour Politicians teamed up together to present frivolous accusations against "The Don". Where do they think all the money to build and repair all the roads in Cross river come from ? Where do they think all the money contributed by the CRS Govt to the Tinapa project came from ? do they think it came from the misearble income tax paid by Civil Servants who make up 90% of the states generated budgetary Income? Of course Donald used unorthodox methods to get the money from the Local Govt councils to fund most of his projects, it was a better alternative then allowing the Chairmen to squander the money with nothing to show for.Lets stop this Witch-hunting crusade. Dont be surprised that Donald will dazzle the whole EFCC commission with sheer brilliance,oratory and tangible proofs if he ever appears before them-you cant argue with SUCCESS.
Re: Efcc Vs Donald Duke by tufe(m): 7:12pm On Jan 14, 2008
i believe in what is called constructive corruption, in the sense that it is nice if you embezzle, but still invest it in you country. If you say he stole, no problem, but he invested it back in Naija

what would you say of other corrupt politicians that stole and carried the money out to other economies.

Kudos to The Don
Re: Efcc Vs Donald Duke by doyin13(m): 7:19pm On Jan 14, 2008
tufe:

i believe in what is called constructive corruption, in the sense that it is nice if you embezzle, but still invest it in you country. If you say he stole, no problem, but he invested it back in Naija

what would you say of other corrupt politicians that stole and carried the money out to other economies.

Kudos to The Don

one of the more insightful comments i have seen on nairaland.
Re: Efcc Vs Donald Duke by Germannig: 7:19pm On Jan 14, 2008
Duke, wife to face ICPC - Over N4.3bn loot; Ehindero may face anti-graft panel too
Lanre Adewole, Abuja
Monday, January 14, 2008
THE Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) will quiz the former Cross River State governor, Mr. Donald Duke, and his wife, Onari, tomorrow (Tuesday) over their alleged looting of about N4.3 billion belonging to the state while in office.

Duke ruled the state between 1999 and 2007. Highly placed sources disclosed that the former governor and his wife were summoned by the commission following statements made by former chairmen of local governments in the state, which allegedly indicted the duo on the handling of local government funds.

Duke was accused of compelling the 18 local governments in the state to be paying N1 million each every month into the bank account of his wife’s Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO).

This was said to have been done all through the eight years that Duke led the state. Before Duke left office on May 29, 2007, a total of N1.728 billion had allegedly been paid into the said account domiciled with a new generation bank.

Apart from the council funds, Duke is also being accused of mismanaging about N2.5 billion belonging to the state government. The commission, according to the Nigerian Tribune sources, had summoned the affected council chairmen and useful statements had reportedly been made to the commission’s investigators.

The summons on Duke and his wife is reportedly to be on the strength of alleged indictment of the former governor and first lady by the council chairmen.

Also, the immediate past Inspector General of Police, Mr. Sunday Ehindero, is billed to be questioned by the agency over the placement in two Nigerian banks of N930 million given the police by the Bayelsa State government.

The commission reportedly summoned the former police boss after erstwhile Commissioner of Police in charge of budget, John Obaniyi, allegedly indicted him while explaining his role in the handling of the controversial fund.

According to the source, Ehindero would be expected to explain how the money was expended, with particular emphasis on what happened to the over N40 million bank interest that accrued.

Ehindero had insisted that the money from the Bayelsa State government, which he was alleged to have mismanaged, was used in buying arms and ammunition for the Police.

Nigerian Tribune sources said that it became imperative for Ehindero to be questioned, given Obaniyi’s statement to the commission that all the transactions on the matter were at the instance of the former IGP.

The source revealed that Obaniyi in his statement when he appeared before a team of ICPC investigators a month ago, revealed that he placed the N930 million in an interest-yielding account for five months before the money was removed for the alleged purchase of the arms.

Obaniyi told detectives that he placed the money in two banks, Wema Bank and Intercontinental Bank, with the authority of Ehindero.

Nigerian Tribune gathered that the two banks had since submitted the statement of account on the transaction to the anti-corruption body.
Re: Efcc Vs Donald Duke by seguno2: 7:24pm On Jan 14, 2008
Constructive corruption indeed.
I guess we nigerians have been so bamboozled we now accept priviledges(crumbs) while our rights to meaningful infrastructure, education, health etc is not addressed.
What would you say if someone takes your wife, impregnates her and says you can keep the child?
The issue is whether the guy was corrupt i.e. took the citizens money outside his legit remuneration as governor during his 8 years.
Have you visited Calabar or Cross Rivers? I have in 2006 and was very unimpressed by what level of development and maintenance there was from the "Don". No be fine bobo we go chop.
Can he account for the assets/wealth growth he acquired during his STEWARDSHIP of 8 years?
Recently there was a story of a lady cashier in Duke's governor's office with over 80m in her account, many mansions and cars. So if cashier thief dat much wetin u think oga patapata don loot
Re: Efcc Vs Donald Duke by tufe(m): 7:31pm On Jan 14, 2008
seguno, show me one politician that is not corrupt, and i'll show you a dog with horns

i'm just saying that half bread is better than none
Re: Efcc Vs Donald Duke by tufe(m): 7:34pm On Jan 14, 2008
@germannig
  i cam almost assure you that Don will not be indicted, watch and see

Abeg that guy has done 2 much to be prosecuted
Re: Efcc Vs Donald Duke by otokx(m): 10:44pm On Jan 14, 2008
It may take another year for EFCC to "invite him" over

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Ranks 148 On The 2007 Corruption Perception Index / Pretoria And Lagos. / How Do You Feel As A Nigerian After Reading This!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.