Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,806 members, 7,831,632 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Nigeria Ranks 148 On The 2007 Corruption Perception Index - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Ranks 148 On The 2007 Corruption Perception Index (1370 Views)

French Alps Plane Crash: 148 On Board / Nigeria Is Not Prominent In 2014 Corruption Perception Index / Corruption Perception: Goodluck Jonathan Versus Bola Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Ranks 148 On The 2007 Corruption Perception Index by Kobojunkie: 1:11am On Sep 27, 2007
NEWS
26 September 2007
Posted to the web 26 September 2007

By Danladi Ndayebo

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_1011276.shtml

Nigeria ranks 148th on the Corruption Perception Index (CPI) 2007 released today by the international corruption watchdog, Transparency International (TI).

Myanmar occupies the 180th position making it the most corrupt of the nations rated by TI.The country is closely followed by Somalia, Iraq, Haiti and Tonga.

According to the list, New Zealand is the least corrupt followed by Denmark, Finland and Singapore. Sweden is 5th on the list.

Other African countries that featured on the list include Libya, Cameroun, Gambia and Angola who occupy 134th,141st, 143rd and 147th position respectively.

CPI is an annual ranking of countries perceived to be corrupt by the TI.
Re: Nigeria Ranks 148 On The 2007 Corruption Perception Index by osisi5: 1:15am On Sep 27, 2007
coming 148 out of 180 is still a failure.
147 is Angola.
A country that has been fighting for years non stop even did better than us.
Re: Nigeria Ranks 148 On The 2007 Corruption Perception Index by denex: 1:18am On Sep 27, 2007
They are mad!

If they like they should rank us absolutely incorruptible, they are liars and will continue to be liars.

Transparency International gets its funding from Governments of various countries of the world. They know who their major source of fund is and they know that if they don't give favourable rating to those countries that massively fund them, they will not survive. So all this one they are doing is Home Video.
Re: Nigeria Ranks 148 On The 2007 Corruption Perception Index by ochocinco1(m): 1:36am On Sep 27, 2007
It sounds as useless a ranking as the FIFA ones.
Re: Nigeria Ranks 148 On The 2007 Corruption Perception Index by bluenubian(f): 2:36am On Sep 27, 2007
denex:

They are mad!

If they like they should rank us absolutely incorruptible, they are liars and will continue to be liars.

grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Ranks 148 On The 2007 Corruption Perception Index by denex: 2:58am On Sep 27, 2007
An organization that was founded and chaired by none other than Mathew Aremu Olusegun Obasanjo in 1993 when was thinking of different get-rich-quick schemes at a point he never expected that he would ever taste from the broth of Government of Nigeria ever again.

I can bet that OBJ is still receiving his cut from TI's budget every year as their founding father.

In as much as I do not hate Obasanjo, I also do not believe that any organization founded by Obasanjo has the moral justification to judge anybody as corrupt.
Not the EFCC and definitely not their sister agency, Transparency International. Unless of course they can provide irrefutable proof that Obasanjo himself is Absolutely Transparent.

www.un.org/ecosocdev/geninfo/afrec/subjindx/134corr3.htm
Re: Nigeria Ranks 148 On The 2007 Corruption Perception Index by dimcod: 5:00am On Sep 27, 2007
@Denex,

Obasanjo is not THE founding father of TI. He is A founding father, amongst other founding fathers.

When and why was TI founded?
TI was established in 1993 by a group of people who shared the vision of TI's founding chairman Peter Eigen. With backgrounds in inter-governmental and business environments, they shared in common the experience of having witnessed first hand the devastating effects of cross-border corruption. It was this desire to fight global corruption that prompted the launch of the fledgling non-governmental organisation, Transparency International, in May 1993. The convening conference brought together an array of international figures, including the Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and former President of Costa Rica Oscar Arias Sanchez, the former Foreign Minister of Mauritania Ahmedou Ould Abdallah, the former Foreign Minister of Bolivia Robert MacLean Abaroa, and Olusegun Obasanjo, then of the African Leadership Forum, now President of Nigeria.Together with Peter Eigen, the founding members were Hansjörg Elshorst, Joe Githongo, Fritz Heimann, Michael Hershman, Kamal Hossain, Dolores L. Español, George Moody Stewart, Jerry Parfitt, Jeremy Pope and Frank Vogl.When TI was established, it was still legal in most countries to make bribe payments abroad. It was this situation that the founders of TI wanted to change. For more information see TI history.
Re: Nigeria Ranks 148 On The 2007 Corruption Perception Index by Kobojunkie: 12:48pm On Sep 27, 2007
Are we actually trying to claim the list is wrong ?? Cause if you ask me , the name Nigeria is synonymous with CORRUPTION central, and I get proof each day in my mail box and I am a Nigerian, I don't think it is really obasanjo's fault here and according to the numbers in the USA alone, the country lost BILLIONS of dollars to these fraudsters.

KoboJunkie

(1) (Reply)

Pretoria And Lagos. / Ladoja Decamps To Accord Party / Christians Hoist The Largest Flag In The World In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.