Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,630 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

A Taste Of Freedom After 25years In Psychological Prison Of Adhd. True Story - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Taste Of Freedom After 25years In Psychological Prison Of Adhd. True Story (798 Views)

Good Sex Great For Your Physical, Psychological Health / Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? / Where Can I Get ADHD MEDICATION In Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Taste Of Freedom After 25years In Psychological Prison Of Adhd. True Story by Brighterwriter(m): 8:29am On Jul 06, 2022
To start with, you may not have this disorder I call "blessing in disguise" but please try and read this for the sake of awareness.
It's a blessing if diagnosed early but could be a curse if left undiagnosed to journey with you into adulthood.

Two weeks ago, I was finally released from psychological prison after 25years of a confused, aimless and wasted life when the doctor diagnosed me with ADHD(attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), anxiety and severe clinical depression.

It all started when I was 10years old in JSS1 when I started experiencing learning difficulty as a result of me getting distracted during classes. All through my primary education, I was an auditory learner and not really the reading type but was OK with my style because it made me the best student in my class all through the 6years. How on earth am I suppose to learn when my mind has welcomed a wandering mind into its life without my knowledge, this is so annoying. Being in the boarding house at such a young age made things worse for me. No matter how hard I try to stay focused, racing thoughts are always there to distract me.

Suddenly, my self esteem was arrested, followed by my social life then I started loosing interest in everything I once loved to do including my academics. Daydreaming soon became my custodian and that was the beginning of my problem.

25years later here am I inside the doctors office due to several suicide attempt. Honestly I got fed up of breathing and thought the only escape was to end it all even when I knew suicide was a temporary solution. As a Christian born, I have been taught that "thou shall not kill" not even yourself. May we not see what will make us disobey our Creator. Little did I know that the reason behind my struggles was a psychological disorder called ADHD. May God deliver us not only from temptations but also ignorance.

Oh my God!!! This thing called ADHD has finished me
1. I have no friends.
2. I don't stay more than three months on the job.
3. Relationship problems, now at the age of 35, not even a girlfriend.
4. Family has left me in the hands of God, they all think its a spiritual problem.
5. A load of debt on me, I am now so tired.
6. Future is so not clear. I can hardly stay on my decisions.
7. So impulsive
8. My mind is like formula-1 tracks with thousands of racing cars.

But like people say, whatever has a beginning must also have an end. I am a living testimony to this. Today I took my first dose of Ritalin, a drug made for ADHD and my dear readers, I felt so different for the first time in 25years. Where have you been all my life this medication? That was the question I asked Ritalin, a drug that had the name of my ex girlfriend that I miss so much "Rita" anywhere you are, I wish we met after this my new discovery but all the same, I wish you all the best and will never stop loving you.

Ritalin my new life saver whispered a shocking response "did you bother looking for me" into my thought, I just smiled and said to myself, I'm so sorry baby. Now that I have found you, "till death do us part" because I remember that the doctor told me ADHD can only be managed and not cured. With medication and therapy a good life is ahead.
This feeling is so amazing, its been 2hours on the drug and everything in my life seem to be going back to default mode. I picked up a book one hour ago and nothing called distraction came knocking on the door of my mind. Halleluyah, ADHD its game over for you.
I will love to share my story as it happened over that period of 25years to those willing to read, you never can tell if someone you know is going through the same.

Remember, a stitch in time saves nine. Early diagnosis of mental health disorders saves a lot of your time, energy and resources from wastage.

To be continued.

2 Likes

Re: A Taste Of Freedom After 25years In Psychological Prison Of Adhd. True Story by Brighterwriter(m): 9:17am On Jul 06, 2022
I am not lazy
Neither am I crazy
But to most people who came into my life since the presentation of ADHD symptoms, that's who I am.

Do I blame them? No
It's not easy for mental health workers to diagnose most of these disorders themselves. Some give a misdiagnosis due to the nature and presentation of these cases. Some patients even have to go through assessment for a year or more with different medication trial like a chameleon skin.

It's high time technology gave us a better and easier way to diagnose mental health disorders. Biomedical engineers in the building, food for your thought.
Re: A Taste Of Freedom After 25years In Psychological Prison Of Adhd. True Story by ggrin(f): 12:04am On Jul 22, 2022
can i mail you bro?
Re: A Taste Of Freedom After 25years In Psychological Prison Of Adhd. True Story by Brighterwriter(m): 12:07pm On Jul 22, 2022
ggrin:
can i mail you bro?
Yes, please feel free to.
Re: A Taste Of Freedom After 25years In Psychological Prison Of Adhd. True Story by 21sailor: 2:29pm On Jul 22, 2022
greetings bro can u talk about what the disorder involves how it makes u berhave? i'm suspecting its same with someone i knew.
Re: A Taste Of Freedom After 25years In Psychological Prison Of Adhd. True Story by Starlight252: 7:29pm On Jul 22, 2022
I'm sure words can describe your happiness. I'm happy for you bro and i hope you're fine henceforth.
Re: A Taste Of Freedom After 25years In Psychological Prison Of Adhd. True Story by Brighterwriter(m): 9:06pm On Jul 22, 2022
21sailor:
greetings bro can u talk about what the disorder involves how it makes u berhave? i'm suspecting its same with someone i knew.

I greet you too brother.

Adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a mental health disorder that includes a combination of persistent problems, such as difficulty paying attention, hyperactivity and impulsive behavior. Adult ADHD can lead to

1. Unstable relationships
2. Poor work or school performance,
3. Low self-esteem and other problems.

Though it's called adult ADHD, symptoms start in early childhood and continue into adulthood. In some cases, ADHD is not recognized or diagnosed until the person is an adult. Adult ADHD symptoms may not be as clear as ADHD symptoms in children. In adults, hyperactivity may decrease, but struggles with impulsiveness, restlessness and difficulty paying attention may continue.

Treatment for adult ADHD is similar to treatment for childhood ADHD. Adult ADHD treatment includes medications, psychological counseling (psychotherapy) and treatment for any mental health conditions that occur along with ADHD.

Symptoms
Some people with ADHD have fewer symptoms as they age, but some adults continue to have major symptoms that interfere with daily functioning. In adults, the main features of ADHD may include difficulty paying attention, impulsiveness and restlessness. Symptoms can range from mild to severe.

Many adults with ADHD aren't aware they have it — they just know that everyday tasks can be a challenge. Adults with ADHD may find it difficult to focus and prioritize, leading to missed deadlines and forgotten meetings or social plans. The inability to control impulses can range from impatience waiting in line or driving in traffic to mood swings and outbursts of anger.

Adult ADHD symptoms may include:

Impulsiveness
Disorganization and problems prioritizing
Poor time management skills
Problems focusing on a task
Trouble multitasking
Excessive activity or restlessness
Poor planning
Low frustration tolerance
Frequent mood swings
Problems following through and completing tasks
Hot temper
Trouble coping with stress
What's typical behavior and what's ADHD?
Almost everyone has some symptoms similar to ADHD at some point in their lives. If your difficulties are recent or occurred only occasionally in the past, you probably don't have ADHD. ADHD is diagnosed only when symptoms are severe enough to cause ongoing problems in more than one area of your life. These persistent and disruptive symptoms can be traced back to early childhood.

Diagnosis of ADHD in adults can be difficult because certain ADHD symptoms are similar to those caused by other conditions, such as anxiety or mood disorders. And many adults with ADHD also have at least one other mental health condition, such as depression or anxiety.

When to see a doctor
If any of the symptoms listed above continually disrupt your life, talk to your doctor about whether you might have ADHD.

Different types of health care professionals may diagnose and supervise treatment for ADHD. Advise the person to seek a provider who has training and experience in caring for adults with ADHD.

While the exact cause of ADHD is not clear, research efforts continue. Factors that may be involved in the development of ADHD include:

Genetics. ADHD can run in families, and studies indicate that genes may play a role.
Environment. Certain environmental factors also may increase risk, such as lead exposure as a child.
Problems during development. Problems with the central nervous system at key moments in development may play a role.
Risk factors
Risk of ADHD may increase if:

You have blood relatives, such as a parent or sibling, with ADHD or another mental health disorder
Your mother smoked, drank alcohol or used drugs during pregnancy
As a child, you were exposed to environmental toxins — such as lead, found mainly in paint and pipes in older buildings
You were born prematurely
Complications
ADHD can make life difficult for you. ADHD has been linked to:

Poor school or work performance
Unemployment
Financial problems
Trouble with the law
Alcohol or other substance misuse
Frequent car accidents or other accidents
Unstable relationships
Poor physical and mental health
Poor self-image
Suicide attempts
Coexisting conditions
Although ADHD doesn't cause other psychological or developmental problems, other disorders often occur along with ADHD and make treatment more challenging. These include:

Mood disorders. Many adults with ADHD also have depression, bipolar disorder or another mood disorder. While mood problems aren't necessarily due directly to ADHD, a repeated pattern of failures and frustrations due to ADHD can worsen depression.
Anxiety disorders. Anxiety disorders occur fairly often in adults with ADHD. Anxiety disorders may cause overwhelming worry, nervousness and other symptoms. Anxiety can be made worse by the challenges and setbacks caused by ADHD.
Other psychiatric disorders. Adults with ADHD are at increased risk of other psychiatric disorders, such as personality disorders, intermittent explosive disorder and substance use disorders.
Learning disabilities. Adults with ADHD may score lower on academic testing than would be expected for their age, intelligence and education. Learning disabilities can include problems with understanding and communicating.
Re: A Taste Of Freedom After 25years In Psychological Prison Of Adhd. True Story by Brighterwriter(m): 9:08pm On Jul 22, 2022
Starlight252:
I'm sure words can describe your happiness.
I'm happy for you bro and i hope you're fine henceforth.

Yes O, I am happy beyond the expression of words. Thanks so much brother.
Re: A Taste Of Freedom After 25years In Psychological Prison Of Adhd. True Story by Brighterwriter(m): 5:46am On Jul 24, 2022
AT EASE, AT LEAST I CAN PAY ATTENTION

Getting diagnosed was actually a relief. Knowing why I had struggled so much helped me understand it wasn’t my fault. ” Armed with this new understanding of myself", I began to read and learn about my ADHD, then I started psychotherapy.

God has been so good to favour me, first with the psychologist and then the psychiatrist. They have been so amazing, passionate and compassionate. And as for my medication, help also showed up, because this drugs are very expensive and also kind of scarce.

Dr. Banji, the psychologist created tools and strategies to help me handle and manage my ADHD symptoms. Let me dive into the pool of my past experiences and show you how swimming through the ocean of life has been extremely difficult for me since the beginning of this ADHD storm.

First on the list of my challenges is that I have never had a vision for my future, not because I don't want to, but because my interests had never been stable - just like the
epileptic electricity distribution in Nigeria. I easily lost interest in things, though I got to find out the reasons for this from my therapist.

If you are not too busy, let's do some time travelling to my past.

I will be back shortly.
Re: A Taste Of Freedom After 25years In Psychological Prison Of Adhd. True Story by 21sailor: 2:19pm On Jul 26, 2022
Brighterwriter:

I greet you too brother.

Adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a mental health disorder that includes a combination of persistent problems, such as difficulty paying attention, hyperactivity and impulsive behavior. Adult ADHD can lead to

1. Unstable relationships
2. Poor work or school performance,
3. Low self-esteem and other problems.

Though it's called adult ADHD, symptoms start in early childhood and continue into adulthood. In some cases, ADHD is not recognized or diagnosed until the person is an adult. Adult ADHD symptoms may not be as clear as ADHD symptoms in children. In adults, hyperactivity may decrease, but struggles with impulsiveness, restlessness and difficulty paying attention may continue.

Treatment for adult ADHD is similar to treatment for childhood ADHD. Adult ADHD treatment includes medications, psychological counseling (psychotherapy) and treatment for any mental health conditions that occur along with ADHD.

Symptoms
Some people with ADHD have fewer symptoms as they age, but some adults continue to have major symptoms that interfere with daily functioning. In adults, the main features of ADHD may include difficulty paying attention, impulsiveness and restlessness. Symptoms can range from mild to severe.

Many adults with ADHD aren't aware they have it — they just know that everyday tasks can be a challenge. Adults with ADHD may find it difficult to focus and prioritize, leading to missed deadlines and forgotten meetings or social plans. The inability to control impulses can range from impatience waiting in line or driving in traffic to mood swings and outbursts of anger.

Adult ADHD symptoms may include:

Impulsiveness
Disorganization and problems prioritizing
Poor time management skills
Problems focusing on a task
Trouble multitasking
Excessive activity or restlessness
Poor planning
Low frustration tolerance
Frequent mood swings
Problems following through and completing tasks
Hot temper
Trouble coping with stress
What's typical behavior and what's ADHD?
Almost everyone has some symptoms similar to ADHD at some point in their lives. If your difficulties are recent or occurred only occasionally in the past, you probably don't have ADHD. ADHD is diagnosed only when symptoms are severe enough to cause ongoing problems in more than one area of your life. These persistent and disruptive symptoms can be traced back to early childhood.

Diagnosis of ADHD in adults can be difficult because certain ADHD symptoms are similar to those caused by other conditions, such as anxiety or mood disorders. And many adults with ADHD also have at least one other mental health condition, such as depression or anxiety.

When to see a doctor
If any of the symptoms listed above continually disrupt your life, talk to your doctor about whether you might have ADHD.

Different types of health care professionals may diagnose and supervise treatment for ADHD. Advise the person to seek a provider who has training and experience in caring for adults with ADHD.

While the exact cause of ADHD is not clear, research efforts continue. Factors that may be involved in the development of ADHD include:

Genetics. ADHD can run in families, and studies indicate that genes may play a role.
Environment. Certain environmental factors also may increase risk, such as lead exposure as a child.
Problems during development. Problems with the central nervous system at key moments in development may play a role.
Risk factors
Risk of ADHD may increase if:

You have blood relatives, such as a parent or sibling, with ADHD or another mental health disorder
Your mother smoked, drank alcohol or used drugs during pregnancy
As a child, you were exposed to environmental toxins — such as lead, found mainly in paint and pipes in older buildings
You were born prematurely
Complications
ADHD can make life difficult for you. ADHD has been linked to:

Poor school or work performance
Unemployment
Financial problems
Trouble with the law
Alcohol or other substance misuse
Frequent car accidents or other accidents
Unstable relationships
Poor physical and mental health
Poor self-image
Suicide attempts
Coexisting conditions
Although ADHD doesn't cause other psychological or developmental problems, other disorders often occur along with ADHD and make treatment more challenging. These include:

Mood disorders. Many adults with ADHD also have depression, bipolar disorder or another mood disorder. While mood problems aren't necessarily due directly to ADHD, a repeated pattern of failures and frustrations due to ADHD can worsen depression.
Anxiety disorders. Anxiety disorders occur fairly often in adults with ADHD. Anxiety disorders may cause overwhelming worry, nervousness and other symptoms. Anxiety can be made worse by the challenges and setbacks caused by ADHD.
Other psychiatric disorders. Adults with ADHD are at increased risk of other psychiatric disorders, such as personality disorders, intermittent explosive disorder and substance use disorders.
Learning disabilities. Adults with ADHD may score lower on academic testing than would be expected for their age, intelligence and education. Learning disabilities can include problems with understanding and communicating.

gone through what u wrote but cant say if it same with what my friend ....his case is that he always gets carried away to the extent of laughing alone and talking to himself but whenever we get eye contact on the street he realizes he has been talking alone and adjust himself he has been to the physicatrist and has been on drugs but to be honest i dont see any improvement. he has lost more than four jobs because of his health.
Re: A Taste Of Freedom After 25years In Psychological Prison Of Adhd. True Story by onyejurunwaj: 7:21am On Apr 05
Thank you for sharing your story, getting a proper diagnosis for ADHD in Nigeria is very difficult. I remember a friend tried to get diagnosed at Federal neuropsychiatric hospital at cappa oshodi, but was waved off as not having ADHD even though she displayed most of the symptoms you listed.
If you don’t mind, could you share your doctor’s contact so I can forward to her?
You can to my email: ckmylove04@yahoo.com
Thank you.
Re: A Taste Of Freedom After 25years In Psychological Prison Of Adhd. True Story by NoContract(m): 6:33am On Apr 09
Brighterwriter:
AT EASE, AT LEAST I CAN PAY ATTENTION

Getting diagnosed was actually a relief. Knowing why I had struggled so much helped me understand it wasn’t my fault. ” Armed with this new understanding of myself", I began to read and learn about my ADHD, then I started psychotherapy.

God has been so good to favour me, first with the psychologist and then the psychiatrist. They have been so amazing, passionate and compassionate. And as for my medication, help also showed up, because this drugs are very expensive and also kind of scarce.

Dr. Banji, the psychologist created tools and strategies to help me handle and manage my ADHD symptoms. Let me dive into the pool of my past experiences and show you how swimming through the ocean of life has been extremely difficult for me since the beginning of this ADHD storm.

First on the list of my challenges is that I have never had a vision for my future, not because I don't want to, but because my interests had never been stable - just like the
epileptic electricity distribution in Nigeria. I easily lost interest in things, though I got to find out the reasons for this from my therapist.

If you are not too busy, let's do some time travelling to my past.

I will be back shortly.

Hello brother, are you still here? I'd love to chat with you.
Re: A Taste Of Freedom After 25years In Psychological Prison Of Adhd. True Story by Brighterwriter(m): 12:44pm On Apr 22
NoContract:

Hello brother, are you still here? I'd love to chat with you.

Ok bro let's talk

(1) (Reply)

NRI Organic Products - Amazing Herbal Products / Genetic Variant Raises Hiv Risk In Black People? / Cure Acne Fast/see How I Cured My/body Care Tips.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.