Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,638 members, 7,820,236 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo (20424 Views)

I Don’t Regret Running For Office – Funke Akindele Speaks After Election Loss / Nicholas Felix Steps Down For Osinbajo (APC Presidential Primary) / Meet Nicholas Felix, 37-Year-Old PCP Presidential Candidate Who Came 3rd In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by TheRareGem1(f): 5:23am On Jul 10, 2022
Dr Nicholas Felix, a presidential aspirant in the primaries of the All Progressives Congress, tells ADEBAYO FOLORUNSHO-FRANCIS about his humble beginning and why he purchased the N100m nominations form to contest the APC presidential primary

You were relatively an unknown person before the APC presidential ticket race. How long have you been in politics?

That’s not completely true. The APC presidential primary wasn’t my first time. I actually contested in 2019 during the general election. I emerged number three, a second runner up among over 70 aspirants. So, you cannot really say this was my first time of contesting in the party election.

What brought a US-based pastor like you to the murky waters of Nigerian politics?

I am based in New York. In retrospect, I must say an ‘insult’ forced me into politics. I watched where a black American insulted a Nigerian and that got to me. I was tired of the status quo, the narrative of ‘How bad Nigerians are’, as if we are an accursed nation. I concluded that I could make a change by returning to my root in Nigeria to run for president. I know that for there to be a change, it must start from the head. If the head is sick, the whole body will be sick. That’s what convinced me to return to Nigeria.

Tell us about your grass to grace story. What will you say was your lowest point?

I grew up in Auchi, Edo State in the 1980s and 1990s. My mum was a fashion designer and my dad was a civil servant working with the Ministry of Agriculture. While growing up, there was a time things became extremely difficult for us. It took the grace of God for some of us to be where we are today. As a young man, I started hawking on the street. Some of those experiences moulded me into who I am today. I sold pure water, egg rolls, puff puff, bread, melon and everything sellable at that time. As a matter of time, I was producing yoghurts in my own local way and selling to supermarkets before I finally got admission to study Electronics Engineering.

I won the American lottery in 2003. I just jokingly played it. For three years, my friends and I kept playing but we didn’t win. The last one, my friends swore that they won’t go near it again in 2002. Everybody was discouraged. But I hardly get discouraged especially when it is something good. So, I played and won the lottery. In 2003, I got the papers and by January 2004, I came to America. Of course, people always assume that you can just come into America and start picking money. I worked hard and started going to school. I also started some businesses on the side and that’s where I am today.

Are your parents still alive?

I still have a father. My dad retired as a civil servant but I didn’t pay any particular attention to whatever peanuts he was receiving as a pension because I made up my mind that I was going to take care of him. I lost mum on July 1, 2020. A few weeks ago, my dad who was residing here in America with me requested that he wanted to go home for pension screening. I was worried and told him that he had just arrived, adding that his going again might cost me another ticket. Curiously, I asked how much his pension was and he told me N9,000. I find it quite heartbreaking and disappointing. How can people work for over 30 years and retire only to be paid this amount? I thought about retired civil servants without financially-strong kids to take care of them. How will people like this survive with that kind of money? It is sad, I must admit.

At what point did you conclude you had to withdraw for Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo?

When it became obvious I can’t get the ticket due to limited resources and little time to properly campaign. I had a one-on-one meeting with the Vice President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo. But I knew he was the right one for the job at this time.

Were you disappointed after the Vice President whom you stepped down lost the presidential ticket to Tinubu?

Of course, I was disappointed, not in (Vice President Yemi) Osinbajo though. I was surprised that he didn’t win. He was the best man for the job. He is the Vice President and loyal for the past seven years. He understands the system and knows what the issues are. For instance, I don’t remember what year the president travelled for about two or three months and Osinbajo was there as the acting president. He made so much change that till today, people still remember. He did so much that I felt he was the right man for the job. I felt pained especially after the manner he spoke, after receiving me.

That was why I thought he was the best person to join forces to make the needed change happen. Despite the fact that he didn’t win, I still won’t regret my decision. I didn’t regret stepping down for him. This is democracy. In every contest, whether democracy or sports, there will always be a winner and losers. For you to be a good sportsman and for you to understand democracy, when you lose, you must be ready to accept it. When you win also, accept it. The phase we are in now is to join forces together and support the party to move forward.

Some critics called delegates from the South-East betrayers for deserting Igbo aspirants when it mattered most. Do you share similar thoughts?

No, I don’t see it that way. However, I believe choosing a national candidate should be a priority more than a region one. On the other hand, South-East aspirants also have to be more united and speak with one voice. I am hoping someday, we will have an Igbo president.

A number of political analysts are saying something is wrong with the foundation of Igbo politicking. Do you share similar opinion?

No, I don’t think so. Nothing is wrong with their foundation. They just have to work harder. Power will not be handed over to them. It has to be fought for.

Being the youngest among APC presidential aspirants, were you not intimidated by the presence of the political juggernauts?

Not at all. I wasn’t intimidated in any way. In fact, the way I see it is that the only thing the likes of Tinubu, Akpabio, Amaechi, Rochas and others have more than me was their resources, nothing else.

You are one of the few aspirants who didn’t support a Muslim-Muslim ticket for Tinubu and the APC. What was your reason?

I don’t think we should have a Muslim-Muslim ticket for whatever reason. It will be a baiting tool and our opposition will use it against us. I don’t think we impose on people what we don’t want to be done to us. Secondly, the country is polarised. It is divided along ethnic and religious lines. If the northern governors could sacrifice and say power should return to the South, that was because it was important to balance everybody. They should have just let it be on a level playing field. I am certain there are qualified and capable Christians in the North that we can choose from.

I told somebody, as a Christian from the South, even if they call me to be a running mate, it is still not okay as privileged as that may be. We cannot have both president and running mate from the South. Therefore, I think a Northern Christian should be chosen. That is a good balance. For whatever reason, let everybody be carried along. Third, let’s imagine now that we have a Muslim president and deputy and the usual religious violence breaks out without anything being done to arrest the situation, what will people think? Obviously, they will conclude that it is because two Muslim leaders are forced on the country.

Which geo-political zone do you think Tinubu’s running mate should pick from?

When it comes to the issue of the North, I really like narrowing things down to a particular region. What I will suggest is that if the party can get all the capable candidates, whether they are from the North-East or North-West, we can now decide who among them will pull the needed votes for us. Once they are able to identify such a candidate and the strength of his region, they can then go for that. It is crucial because we are going to have a very important election in 2023. This is the first time we are having four solid presidential candidates. Atiku (Abubakar) is there, our flagbearer is there, Rabiu Kwankwaso too and Peter Obi is causing frenzy all over social media. This is not the 2015 or 2019 election. It is a critical one.

Anybody ignoring Obi at this moment is making a big mistake. Kwankwaso is also there, causing a lot of trouble for us in the North-West. It is obvious that he is going to divide our votes. This is my own suggestion. Of course, I will say the same thing I am saying if the party wants to fly with a Christian-Christian ticket. If there is anybody I want to win in this 2023 election, it is my party. I am just saying the APC really needs to sit down and put sentiments aside, take advice from people, weigh it and make the best choice. That’s all.

https://punchng.com/i-dont-regret-stepping-down-for-osinbajo-apc-presidential-aspirant/?

281 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by TheRareGem1(f): 5:23am On Jul 10, 2022
You stood behind the truth and you were courageous. Osinbajo is a Selfless leader, not a regular politician who places selfish interest over national interest. He's a leader for all irrespective of class, religion, tribe or ethnic.

188 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by Kingspin(m): 5:28am On Jul 10, 2022
If not for sentiment, how would a PhD holder support incompetence in today's world?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by lonecatt(m): 5:39am On Jul 10, 2022
All i can say is apc committed blunder by giving an agbado cassava ancestor their ticket grin

257 Likes 50 Shares

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by Viscuz: 6:03am On Jul 10, 2022
It doesn’t matter I am happy osibande lost . It will be painful to have a figurehead President when u know he is just a proxy . I am happy we know the real person Agbado boy

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by HilcomTech(m): 6:11am On Jul 10, 2022
This one is just seeking attention upandan.

This one wants to make name by tagging Tinubu's name at all cost but he doesn't know that he is only digging his own political grave as people will not take him serious in the future.

He is still very young and I expect him to learn the ropes and study the more experienced politicians and learn from them and not follow this silly route he's following.

The elections has been won and lost and this nobody is still yapping upandan.

Osinbajo is not fit to be Nigerian president as he is too much of an extremist and to anti-Islamic.

A president must understand that the country is multi cultural and be willing to accept people of other backgrounds and culture.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by BafanaBafana: 6:11am On Jul 10, 2022
If only Osinbajo knew that his principal is just a mannequin and can't raise a finger to do anything himself, he would have started building structures from the onset and not relied on Buhari annointing. He would even have had a plan B instead.

Imagine if Osinbajo had decamped to meet kwankwaso in NNPP. Kwankwaso would have gladly given him presidential ticket, I know several governors and senators that would follow him and it would have been game over for the likes of Tinubu and Atiku. Because it was going to be a contest between him and Obi. As it is now, people in the north have to chose between Tinubu and Atiku. Two evils. If Osinbajo was in the picture it would have been different.
The hate Osinbajo would have gotten from the SE alone would have been enough reason for him to be supported massively in the north.

191 Likes 50 Shares

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by Truthisunique2: 6:12am On Jul 10, 2022
The only thing osinbajo can do now is resign since the hope of replacing buhari is finished

He would go down as an hypocrite with no value that was part of the worst government ever

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by HayB100(m): 6:14am On Jul 10, 2022
At least, he tried grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by zeropartisan: 6:15am On Jul 10, 2022
Attention Seeking

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by Truthisunique2: 6:15am On Jul 10, 2022
Osinbajo would handle economy

Buhari would handle security

Fashola would turn power ministry to mini Lagos

The same idiots who told you this are at it again na tinubu would turn Nigeria to Lagos dem dey now

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by Image123(m): 6:16am On Jul 10, 2022
Who be this one sef? Even Osinbajo is not as pained as this guy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by Sunkyboie(m): 6:17am On Jul 10, 2022
Osibanjo is Good! But cabal not let him win.

307 Likes 82 Shares

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by beardedboy(m): 6:18am On Jul 10, 2022
Attention seeker.

100m ticket from a pastor.

Pastorship is yahoo pro max.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by HilcomTech(m): 6:18am On Jul 10, 2022
Sunkyboie:
Osibanjo is Good! But cabal not let him win.

Osinbajo is bad.

He used his office to persecute people he feels are not his people. Osinbajo refused to accept the multicultural nature of Nigeria and he paid for it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by Quest7777: 6:18am On Jul 10, 2022
Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by HilcomTech(m): 6:20am On Jul 10, 2022
zeropartisan:
Attention Seeking

Gbam

The guy is just seeking attention.

He was a nobody before the election. His stepping down for Osinbajo didn't even affect the results in anyway.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by techWriter5: 6:35am On Jul 10, 2022
We have learnt a big lesson from the outcome of APC primaries.
Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by helinues: 6:37am On Jul 10, 2022
Same way I also don't have any regrets supporting Osinbajo's presidency.

Still proud for the support

258 Likes 81 Shares

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by Drakkernoir: 6:42am On Jul 10, 2022
Wasn't this the same guy complaining some days ago....that Tinubu has sidelined him

These politicians sha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by PaChukwudi44(m): 6:44am On Jul 10, 2022
HilcomTech:
This one is just seeking attention upandan.

This one wants to make name by tagging Tinubu's name at all cost but he doesn't know that he is only digging his own political grave as people will not take him serious in the future.

He is still very young and I expect him to learn the ropes and study the more experienced politicians and learn from them and not follow this silly route he's following.

The elections has been won and lost and this nobody is still yapping upandan.

Osinbajo is not fit to be Nigerian president as he is too much of an extremist and to anti-Islamic.

A president must understand that the country is multi cultural and be willing to accept people of other backgrounds and culture.
How exactly is Osibanjo an extremist and anti-islam? He is actually the best presidential material from the SW

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by Bluntemperor: 6:44am On Jul 10, 2022
Kingspin:
If not for sentiment, how would a PhD holder support incompetence in today's world?

Why did Dr Ekwueme ( of the beloved memory),qued up behind Shehu Shagari that brought Nigerian-economies to comatose- when Dikko and his gang were looting everything,the same for Jonathan regime- Allison Madueke- now a foreigner!
Was the Dr Ekwueme a novice ? No!
But for people like you that talks through anus and you seat in the corner of your room or shop without grasp of knowledge of economics or Politics! Please,go back to School to learn why some things are done ! Prof.Osinbajo and Dr Ekwueme were learned gentlemen!
Nonsense talks!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by adioolayi(m): 6:53am On Jul 10, 2022
Baba go rest..

How many times you go tell us this

1 Like

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by HilcomTech(m): 6:57am On Jul 10, 2022
PaChukwudi44:

How exactly is Osibanjo an extremist and anti-islam? He is actually the best presidential material from the SW

How many Muslims did he ever appoint in his cabinet? He also used his office to sack many Muslims and was witch hunting Muslims all the time.

People like you were the reasons Osinbajo lost. So many people tried to warn him about the dangerous and intolerant path he was taking but BIGOTTS like you failed to tell him the truth.

Osinbajo is a BIGOTTED and very much anti-Islamic. How was he expecting to survive.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by Xboy1993: 7:05am On Jul 10, 2022
Was he not the guy that said he is stepping down for Osinbanjo because of Christianity brothers in the national Television during the APC PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY ELECTION FOR 2023?
Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by owiko(m): 7:20am On Jul 10, 2022
Now that Osinbajo is no longer in the race, be OBIdient and Yusful by supporting Labour Party

5 Likes

Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by BluntTheApostle(m): 7:23am On Jul 10, 2022
You were relatively an unknown person before the APC presidential ticket race. How long have you been in politics?

That’s not completely true. The APC presidential primary wasn’t my first time. I actually contested in 2019 during the general election. I emerged number three, a second runner up among over 70 aspirants. So, you cannot really say this was my first time of contesting in the party election.

The interviewer said that our friend was a relatively unknown person before the primary, our friend said that is not completely true, and rambled about contesting before.

Where is the correlation between the question and the answer that our friend gave?

The man just dey seek attention.
Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by BaddestQueen(f): 7:44am On Jul 10, 2022
God bless Yemi Osinbajo
God bless real Yorubas (Yoruba Christians and traditionalists)

no Yoruba Christian will vote for Tinubu
thunder scatter Tinubu urchins
Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by okefranci: 7:45am On Jul 10, 2022
I so much like you with that my brother because you maintain your stand and didn't comprise just because of money
Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by Jorrsh(m): 7:58am On Jul 10, 2022
Be calming down na. U mean u did not see the question on how long he has been in politics??
BluntTheApostle:

The interviewer said that our friend was a relatively unknown person before the primary, our friend said that is not completely true, and rambled about contesting before.

Where is the correlation between the question and the answer that our friend gave?

The man just dey seek attention.
Re: Nicholas Felix: I Don’t Regret Stepping Down For Osinbajo by Minjim: 7:59am On Jul 10, 2022
Viscuz:
It doesn’t matter I am happy osibande lost . It will be painful to have a figurehead President when u know he is just a proxy . I am happy we know the real person Agbado boy

Do you even know politics or government at all?

How can a Nigerian president be a figure head?

Even Gej, immediately he became president, he automatically became the leader of his party.

Once Osinbajo becomes President he'll be above everyone in his party. No one tells a president what to do. You can only advice

(1) (2) (Reply)

Peter Obi's Policy Document Is Empty, offers Nothing New To Nigerians - Tinubu / Mohammed Abubakar Sold N150m Armoured SUV To Himself For N7.8m – Bauchi Panel / Air Force Loses Personnel To Bandits In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.