Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:43 AM

Common Mistakes: Differentiate Between Quit, Quiet & Quite And Being & Been - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Mistakes: Differentiate Between Quit, Quiet & Quite And Being & Been (892 Views)

Differentiate Between Lesson Plan And Lesson Note / Simple Writing Tips You Might Find Quite Useful / 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Mistakes: Differentiate Between Quit, Quiet & Quite And Being & Been by kenedyx: 8:40am On Jul 10, 2022
These are very common errors I observe on NL almost daily.

Definitions and Examples
Quit: to give up or give in as in "I no do again". Example: I just quit my job. Or, Shasha quit the partnership. Or, He quit smoking.

Quiet: to maintain silence or minimum noise as in "no noise". Example: Keep quiet. Or, He was quiet when I asked who took the money.

Quite: to what extent or degree do you agree or align with something. Example: I don't quite fancy Chinese food. Or, I'm quite hungry actually. Or, Today is quite lively isn't it?

Being: has to do with a person's nature or essence - also means existence. Example: He is such a kind being. Or, Being an introvert, I declined his invitation to attend the party.

Been: is the past participle of "be" and has many uses. Used to mean "visited" example: I've been to London. Or "arrived" example: The driver hasn't been here yet. Or "Express continuous action" example: the baby has been sleeping since noon".

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes: Differentiate Between Quit, Quiet & Quite And Being & Been by PortHarcourtcit(m): 9:47am On Jul 10, 2022
Nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Common Mistakes: Differentiate Between Quit, Quiet & Quite And Being & Been by kenedyx: 9:58am On Jul 10, 2022
PortHarcourtcit:
Nice one

Thanks.
Seun
Lalasticlala
Front page so others can learn.

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes: Differentiate Between Quit, Quiet & Quite And Being & Been by muyico(m): 10:00am On Jul 10, 2022
[quote author=kenedyx post=114586651]These are very common errors I observe on NL almost daily.

Definitions and Examples
Quit: to give up or give in as in "I no do again". Example: I just quit my job. Or, Shasha quit the partnership. Or, He quit smoking.

Quiet: to maintain silence or minimum noise as in "no noise". Example: Keep quiet. Or, He was quiet when I asked who took the money.

Quite: to what extent or degree do you agree or align with something. Example: I don't quite fancy Chinese food. Or, I'm quite hungry actually. Or, Today is quite lively isn't it?

Being: has to do with a person's nature or essence - also means existence. Example: He is such a kind being. Or, Being an introvert, I declined his invitation to attend the party.

Been: is the past participle of "be" and has many uses. Used to mean "visited" example: I've been to London. Or "arrived" example: The driver hasn't been here yet. Or "Express continuous action" not my mother language!
Re: Common Mistakes: Differentiate Between Quit, Quiet & Quite And Being & Been by ejimatic: 10:35am On Jul 10, 2022
kenedyx:
These are very common errors I observe on NL almost daily.

Definitions and Examples

Been: is the past participle of "be" and has many uses. Used to mean "visited" example: I've been to London. Or "arrived" example: The driver hasn't been here yet. Or "Express continuous action" example: the baby has been sleeping since noon".
. Nice one! Been however does not show continuity but the -ing verb that follows it does that as in I have been going to school since last year The tense is Present Perfect Continous tense. Additionally Being is a variant of Be as an auxiliary verb which must be used with a main verb. Being is preceeded by am, is ,are ,and were depending on the number and tense. Being must be followed by a verb in a past participle form. Eg. I am being tried or beaten by the man. Been unlike Being is used with variatnts of Have namely have,has and had depending on tense and number.

3 Likes

Re: Common Mistakes: Differentiate Between Quit, Quiet & Quite And Being & Been by kenedyx: 10:43am On Jul 10, 2022
ejimatic:
. Nice one! Been however does not show continuity but the -ing verb that follows it does that as in I have been going to school since last year The tense is Present Perfect Continous tense. Additionally Being is a variant of Be as an auxiliary verb which must be used with a main verb. Being is preceeded by am, is ,are ,and were depending on the number and tense. Being must be followed by a verb in a past participle form. Eg. I am being tried or beaten by the man. Been unlike Being is used with variatnts of Have namely have,has and had depending on tense and number.

Noted.
Great additions, too. Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Mistakes: Differentiate Between Quit, Quiet & Quite And Being & Been by chikevictor(m): 11:13am On Jul 10, 2022
The kind of post I like to be reading on nairaland not every time sex. Even on a Sunday morning. I weep Deep for this generation.

2 Likes

Re: Common Mistakes: Differentiate Between Quit, Quiet & Quite And Being & Been by coputa(m): 1:06pm On Jul 10, 2022
chikevictor:
The kind of post I like to be reading on nairaland not every time sex. Even on a Sunday morning. I weep Deep for this generation.
This forum is monetised and those content which the youths are particular about pulls more traffic.and traffic is money.
Re: Common Mistakes: Differentiate Between Quit, Quiet & Quite And Being & Been by dami2boi(m): 1:37pm On Jul 10, 2022
Also take on: Their and there, where an were.
Thank you
Re: Common Mistakes: Differentiate Between Quit, Quiet & Quite And Being & Been by Collins4u1(m): 2:12pm On Jul 10, 2022
I don't speak too much English, but it baffles me how I can write and use the spellings correctly more than some people that have been speaking English all their lives in Nigeria grin grin grin
Re: Common Mistakes: Differentiate Between Quit, Quiet & Quite And Being & Been by kenedyx: 2:22pm On Jul 10, 2022
dami2boi:
Also take on: Their and there, where an were.
Thank you

Great suggestions...

Their: belonging to some other people. Example: that's their business. Or, we have their money right here.

There: referring to something or someone at a particular location. Example: collect some papers from the file over there. Or, stand right there.

Where: asking for a location, direction or position of someone or something. Example: where is my phone? Or, where were you last night? Or, where are the cows? cheesy

Were: not to be confused with we're or where is a past subjunctive of "be". Example: were they around when the men came? Or, did they mention if they were going to check back? Or, he smiles so often as though it were a hobby for him.

(1) (Reply)

My First Major Exposure To Blood / University Of Jos Increased It's Tuition Fee From 45k To Over 170k / Magazine Publication

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.