Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,939 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. (7048 Views)

Sleep With Me Or I Fire You - My Female Boss. / The Decline Of Lagos Bus Conductors / The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by duality(m): 1:32pm On Aug 03, 2011
Posted by: akin101
Insert Quote
uk masters tend to be almost worthless in the job market
you might consider short courses in prestigious unis abroad,
doing 3 short courses a year in a specialized area at a renown university will be much better than a degree at those "we only want your money" universities in the uk
dude
just my 50cents man

i'm interested. can you please expatiate. in what area ans where,
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by slimshady1(m): 3:30pm On Aug 03, 2011
i lv ds thred. Currntly in 200l biz mgt. Drm of doin an MBA O nd G mgt.my guy dnt mnd diz ppl oh. Folow ur drm nd mst of all, BILIV IN URSELF! Gd lck at RGU
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by AjanleKoko: 3:33pm On Aug 03, 2011
$lim$hady:

i lv ds thred. Currntly in 200l biz mgt. Drm of doin an MBA O nd G mgt.my guy dnt mnd diz ppl oh. Folow your drm nd mst of all, BILIV IN URSELF! Gd lck at RGU

What is it with kids today and text-speak?
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by akin101: 3:35pm On Aug 03, 2011
dude get the email/contacts of the highflyers in yr area of profession
let them tell u the best unis for such courses,
typically its schools like harvard columbia biz schl etc
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by DoubleN(m): 4:08pm On Aug 03, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Blame the Blackberry! cheesy
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by mbulela: 4:26pm On Aug 03, 2011
AjanleKoko:

one of the many products of your hard work.
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by Ivynwa(f): 4:40pm On Aug 03, 2011
I just want peep my head into una thread remind una say oil dey finish. grin grin Just kidding
What is that 37k thing being paid to a Nigerian lawyer that gradged from a university, abeg spread your wings and your minds old boy. They are limiting you there, even a young boy trader can earn better than that. If you can afford the schooling go for it if you can't invest that savings into a good business or something.
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by shushu(f): 7:57pm On Aug 03, 2011
Aare,
i live in Aberdeen and have also done a masters here before in supply chain.i suggest that you do your first semester or at least one semester here and then do the rest via distance learning.
doing a semester here will give you the feel and culture of the educational system here, the expectations and some networking.This will help you to decide if its something you really want to do.

In my experience, i found the education very sub standard-i guess it will defer per individual so dont take my word for it.I noticed that if you are already established in your field of study, you will totally feel ripped off of your school fees-so pls do one semester only first before you pay the entirety of the school fees.education can be completed at your own pace-there is no hurry per se.most employers are basically willing to see a desire/move to improve on your skills, so its not necessarily about attaining a masters.

If you decide to go the whole mile, please have extra cash, aberdeen is an oil and gas city-similar to portharcourt-it is expensive.accomodation perharps a 2bedroom flat will cost about 500pounds and above without gas and electricity.
Bus transportation fare has recently increased and i dont know if there are discounted rates for students anymore.

Have you checked glasgow universities to see what they have, in my experience it is more culturally diverse-you will meet people from all over the world, whereas in aberdeen 80% of your classmates will probably be nigerian,whilst the 20% will be indian,chinese etc.

I have absolutely no discriminatory bone in my body, but at the masters level, you are not going to be TAUGHT as many assume, you are there to share your professional knowledge and network-this is exactly what you will not get in RGU with that percentage of nationals in your class.
You also will probably not get the experience from your fellow colleafues as majority of them will be crossing over from other fields all trying to get into oil and gas, so many of your colleagues will be from the finance sector etc.In my opinion that is an extreme waste of money (i say again) at the masters level where you should be meeting other professionals.

If you attend one of the ivy leagu schools as someone previously suggested, you will get more value for your education.This is why most of those schools will never accept anyone with less than 3 or 4years work experience in the filed of study.

i can go on and on, but the decision is yours.
all the best
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by Aare1(m): 6:08am On Aug 04, 2011
speechless shocked shocked shocked
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by AjanleKoko: 8:23am On Aug 04, 2011
shushu:

Aare,
i live in Aberdeen and have also done a masters here before in supply chain.i suggest that you do your first semester or at least one semester here and then do the rest via distance learning.
doing a semester here will give you the feel and culture of the educational system here, the expectations and some networking.This will help you to decide if its something you really want to do.

In my experience, i found the education very sub standard-i guess it will defer per individual so dont take my word for it.I noticed that if you are already established in your field of study, you will totally feel ripped off of your school fees-so pls do one semester only first before you pay the entirety of the school fees.education can be completed at your own pace-there is no hurry per se.most employers are basically willing to see a desire/move to improve on your skills, so its not necessarily about attaining a masters.

If you decide to go the whole mile, please have extra cash, aberdeen is an oil and gas city-similar to portharcourt-it is expensive.accomodation perharps a 2bedroom flat will cost about 500pounds and above without gas and electricity.
Bus transportation fare has recently increased and i dont know if there are discounted rates for students anymore.

Have you checked glasgow universities to see what they have, in my experience it is more culturally diverse-you will meet people from all over the world, whereas in aberdeen 80% of your classmates will probably be nigerian,whilst the 20% will be indian,chinese etc.

I have absolutely no discriminatory bone in my body, but at the masters level, you are not going to be TAUGHT as many assume, you are there to share your professional knowledge and network-this is exactly what you will not get in RGU with that percentage of nationals in your class.
You also will probably not get the experience from your fellow colleafues as majority of them will be crossing over from other fields all trying to get into oil and gas, so many of your colleagues will be from the finance sector etc.In my opinion that is an extreme waste of money (i say again) at the masters level where you should be meeting other professionals.

If you attend one of the ivy leagu schools as someone previously suggested, you will get more value for your education.This is why most of those schools will never accept anyone with less than 3 or 4years work experience in the filed of study.

i can go on and on, but the decision is yours.
all the best

Very interesting, and spoken from experience.
I did mention earlier that someone close to me enrolled for the MBA 'Oil and Gas', and found it quite disappointing. Though that was distance learning.
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by yamakuza: 12:18pm On Aug 04, 2011
[s]wow, for the wonders of frontpage exposure.

What if it/he never made it there?[/s]

uhmnnnnn , 

looks like he might have to forego the bird in hand for the ones in the bush Canada?
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by Aare1(m): 6:05pm On Aug 04, 2011
Thanks to everyone for all the comments so far?, i am indeed very grateful. Its a pity that i had to start this thread dis late, until about a month ago, i never believed i would be able to even go abroad not to even talk about going for my masters. So when the opportunity came, uk schools just seemed like d way to go. I had an offer last year from a more prestigious uk school for an llm in petroleum law, but @ 16,000 pounds for just the tuition, i had to forgo it since it could not fit into the budget, hence my choice of RGU. My sponsors are days away from paying my fees deposit, and thus i still have 2-3 days to put all the plans on hold. the comments of shushu relating to the standard of education have merely echoed the advice of 2 close pals of mine who are in a similar condition as i am.

But if i am to tell my sponsors that i am backing out of going to the uk without giving them an alternative option, i could be perceived as being a sissy who is scared of the unknown and is developing coldfeet, and dis could hamper the possibility of them wanting to render any assistance to me in future despite the fact that they are family.

There is a fixed amount set aside for my purpose and i dont see dat amount increasing in the near future, i checked out the university of calgary in canada, and discovered that their llm degree in energy law is for a 2 year duration, what do i do if after a year all the money set aside for my living expenses runs out sad sad sad sad

US schools , all energy law llms are 30,000 dollars and above add dat to living expenses of say about 13,000 dollars for one year and dat is about 6.9 million naira when u convert it( and i dont have up to dat amount), and in any case i cant resume at any until sept. next year.

The whole thing has just been very fustrating for me, so i guess if i have to sppend 4plus million and wont get value for money, then its best that i just stay back and hope that "opportunity will come more than once for me" and hopefully that time it would have increased to 7 million naira??

All the above may seem like rambling to you guyz (i guess it is), so please forgive me for that, but the point i am trying to drive home is that i am hoping that in three days i can get someone who will be able to direct me to a school that fits within my budget but were i would still get value for my money. I dont want to throw away this chance but at the same time dont want to go and waste my time and huge resources.

THANKS.
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by DisGuy: 6:27pm On Aug 04, 2011
Make the best of your opportunities now especially as you are not paying the fees, as shushu said it's all about individuals, take extra class, speak to professionals in the know and next time plan well ahead!!!

Making quick decisions is always hit and miss!! make the most of the environment

Very true most 'oil and gas courses' have a lot of Nigerians in there for obvious reason most especially for non-core oil and gas course with candidates from varied background like everyone caught the oil and gas from abroad bug
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by shushu(f): 6:30pm On Aug 04, 2011
Like i suggested, you can do one semester, since your family is willing to pay.Pay for a semester and make your evaluations after that.Just for the experience.Many universities are already used to students crossing over and your first semester is usually general courses.
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by chamber2(m): 6:35pm On Aug 04, 2011
My brother, someone else is paying for this and you have just one year to run through this programme. What exactly do you stand to lose? Your current pay is not good enough to keep you in your present job. I would advise you give it a shot.
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by yamakuza: 6:41pm On Aug 04, 2011
Even if you were to get alternatives, you cant enrol this sept so rgu is your only immediate choice for now.

You can either forego it, or make the most of it, one semester at a time.

[s]You can look at it as a ticket. The ticket is only a small part of the journey.[/s]/s]
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by Nobody: 1:14am On Aug 06, 2011
Its funny how despite the fact that the UK is very anti-immigrant now with respect to foreign students finding a job after graduation, some still insist on going to that country to spend their hard earned cash. There are many more good universities in other European countries like the Scandinavia etc. Anyways wish you all the best if your decision is to study in Scotland when you have other choices, think about it, it might cost you a little more at the moment to go to Canada for example, but Canada has very good pro-immigration policy especially if you studied there. I think you should make your decision based on your Long term goal. I won't even recommend the US to you because Job prospects for international students are just as bad as in the UK. Just my One cent!
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by DisGuy: 9:56am On Aug 06, 2011
engineerd:

Its funny how despite the fact that the UK is very anti-immigrant now with respect to foreign students finding a job after graduation, some still insist on going to that country to spend their hard earned cash. There are many more good universities in other European countries like the Scandinavia etc. Anyways wish you all the best if your decision is to study in Scotland when you have other choices, think about it, it might cost you a little more at the moment to go to Canada for example, but Canada has very good pro-immigration policy especially if you studied there. I think you should make your decision based on your Long term goal. I won't even recommend the US to you because Job prospects for international students are just as bad as in the UK. Just my One cent!

how are scandanivian Countries with respect to their immigration laws? Whats the cost of living in Scandanavian countries? How are certificates/experience from those countries accepted by the Nigerian labour market?

Some students just want to be students not immigrants
Re: Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. by shushu(f): 11:34am On Aug 07, 2011
With regards to scandinavian schhols, engineerd is right. The quality of education is superior to most countries. They are really thorough.Tax is very high, standard of living very high as well, but worth it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet / I Want To Choose A Career In Journalism / Bcs Pgd, Equivalent Of Bsc.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.