Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,999 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? (11649 Views)

What Was Your First Job, And What Do You Do Now? / My First Job Experience After School As A Lady. / At What Age Did You Land Your First Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Harrykn: 1:20pm On Jul 11, 2022
Tribalism
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by sadaxxx: 1:21pm On Jul 11, 2022
I was a banking assistant but started off as a paying teller. After putting in back breaking shifts at work for two years, my colleagues at a bigger branch all got promoted whilst I was told to wait. Hard work doesn't always pay BUT I didn't learn, I still always work hard and I have always been passed over for promotions in favour of those with mouth. grin angry grin

7 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Emeka71(m): 1:22pm On Jul 11, 2022
In my 1st job I was a production assistant at (so-fine cosmetics) but sometimes, I abscond duty sometimes to go and take part-time studies in Accountancy & Finance ; but the job taught me to be punctual to duty because much of the time my salary is always deduced due to lateness and absenteeism; but I later resigned out of frustration.

3 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by KevMitnick: 1:25pm On Jul 11, 2022
Don't remain in a toxic environment for long. Cut your losses and cut out of there.
Tech

6 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Chris2863(m): 1:25pm On Jul 11, 2022
Oyindamolah:
What type of company is this?
ass licking company grin grin

3 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Whatshallido: 1:25pm On Jul 11, 2022
I learnt many things in my first job. I was a machine operator, but i learnt networking and Cybersecurity . Sometimes i used their free Wi-Fi to watch IT courses like networking and Cybersecurity. Infact I learned many things on IT to the extend i was helping them to troubleshoot network when my machine is not connected to network. I will start my troubleshooting from all the network devices in their server room to my unit to ensure that all the computers communicate with each other. I can configure routers switches, create Vlans and apply security to all the Vlans.

7 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Chris2863(m): 1:27pm On Jul 11, 2022
Olachase:
Teach me say as u day work make you day save too, I remember three years ago I was working for one Plc company Maintenance Technician good salary, no be say I be handsome guy like that hoo buh girls day rush me, u kW na young boy in his 24 making money, I con still surrand myself with guy's way day party club every Friday, I think say na so life go day sweet, my brother 2020 during covid19 na so company drop many of us, two months later account Don dry eyes open sense come back, those my friends later kW say dem Don sack me for work if I call them no day pick, I no surprise about those girls I kW say na money make them day follow me, buh believe me their pus*sy hear ham for my hand (thanks to virga1000) grin grin the nigga self support my ministry, to cut the story shot 2021 I got another job still my maintenance technician job one of this guys called me guy how far longest time u just forget us like that, see people way Don run for me grin grin werèy ask where u con day like this? I tell ham say I day Ondo I day help my mama farm me way I day lagos, them won spoil my life second time grin grin grin
grin
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 11, 2022
1* learn to save while you work, that work might not last for long.
2* Don't ever try to date your colleague
3* Only pretend to be friendly, you can't find a true friend around those who see you as competion
4* Keep your life outside work secret
5* if you have any source of income outside your salary let it be your secret

14 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jul 11, 2022
Thantayo:
1. People would LICK ASS to be recognized. I'm not talking about small ass licking, i mean these guys can literally stick their tongues up their bosses anuses, even push their heads into their colons if they ask them to push harder. As someone who's a realist, it irritates me

2. Nobody is your friend. One of my collegues monitored me waiting for me to slip up in someway just to get me fired and earm his promotion, simply because he's been there longer and we were earning the same.

3. Don't die for your job. You'll only get the 'one minute silence' thingy which nobody will do.

4. Don't date someone from work. It mostly never ends well.

5. Jobs are life draining. Remember to play and have fun when you have free time. Money will be there till jesus comes, your life goes.
You are so point. As an executive admin. I had lots of enemies only a handful correct guy. Shout out to architect Cyril. .sure guy.
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Johel(m): 1:33pm On Jul 11, 2022
Threesha:
What was your first job? Most of us don’t forget our debut in the workforce – for good or bad reasons.

Our first job taught us things that may have shaped our career path or what we’re like in our professional lives.

What is an important lesson that your first job taught you? Share your stories and learnings with others

First job: Receptionist
Lesson: always be open to learning. I learned organizational skills,
People management and behavior photography,
Video recording and
Video editing (it was a small media company)

First monthly salary earning job : Sales promoter
Lesson: Approach really matters when meeting a stranger, be professional when transacting with clients,be patient.
I learned trade and marketing.

I was with SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS NIG.

1 Like

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 1:35pm On Jul 11, 2022
*Never be loyal to any boss. You can be sacked and dumped anytime. Have backup plans. They don't love you, they only love you as much as they can use you.

* Always leave a good record. You'll need that "reference" in the future.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by doggedfighter(f): 1:35pm On Jul 11, 2022
sadaxxx:
I was a banking assistant but started off as a paying teller. After putting in back breaking shifts at work for two years, my colleagues at a bigger branch all got promoted whilst I was told to wait. Hard work doesn't always pay BUT I didn't learn, I still always work hard and I have always been passed over for promotions in favour of those with mouth. grin angry grin

This is not funny.

Better learn your lesson, dear

Do what they are doing too.
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by doggedfighter(f): 1:37pm On Jul 11, 2022
KevMitnick:
Don't remain in a toxic environment for long. Cut your losses and cut out of there.
Tech

100%

I agree with you.

It can be mentally and physically draining.

3 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Fantazy(m): 1:38pm On Jul 11, 2022
CaveAdullam:
1. Be competent.

2. Give no room for complacency; it will be used against you in the future.

3. Always go with the required tools or materials for work.

4. By all means avoid excuses; it will give you might to challenge anyone who wants to use their lackadaisical attitude to limit you.

5. Don't argue with your boss. Answer yes!

6. Suggest ideas to your boss why praise him. Your boss doesn't need your ideas by the way.

7. You can't change an already established system, you are there for the money, work for it and get out.

8. Respect your senior colleagues, if not, they will work against you.

9. Respect your junior colleagues, they can make work faster and run some shitty games for you.

10. Respect the janitors and other staff not directly connected to the activities of the business. They will help you someday. Tip them from time to time. They can defend you at the right moment.

11. Respect your clients or customers. Falling on the wrong side will either affect your profits or salary.

12. Customers and clients want praise. Saturate them with it. It takes nothing from you, just mere words.

13. Don't argue with your boss or superior. Doing the opposite will help him spot loopholes in your line of work and use them against you.

14. Learn how to defend yourself especially when you make mistakes. Explain yourself rather than apologize. You need competence to pull this string though.

15. Don't separate yourself from your colleagues, work with them so that you'll get a glimpse of what's going on.

16. Maintain your standard. Don't be cajoled into any nonsense. This sends a message to your colleagues that you are different and can't easily be fooled.

17. Office romance must be avoided. If you don't have the mental fortitude and deceptiveness to pull office romance, forget it.

18. Always do your work on time and finish on time.

19. Use free time to do other useful activities. It can be within or outside your scope of work. E.g reading, writing, teaching, etc.

20. Only argue with your boss when that month is the last you will be working with him.

21. Always pay homage to your superior's superior. This person will help you when you experience friction with your current superior or boss. E.g Manager, Founder, President of the organization.

22. Put yourself in a position where you can't easily be replaced. Only competence and great skill can help you here.

23. Learn to cover your mistakes and quickly correct them. Nobody loves a clumsy worker.

24. Be passionate about your work. If you are not, you will make foolish mistakes along the way.

25. Don't leave your current job because of anticipation of another job that you have not secured fully. Except you have big savings though.

26. Even if you don't like your boss or work, just do your assigned role and work your way out.

27. If a promotion doesn't come easily don't do extra work.

28. Extra work will make your boss use you as a beast of burden. Protect your competence from exploitation.

29. If you are not paid for extra work, feigned laziness. But do your assigned role perfectly.

30. Take corrections and learn. Despite your competence, you can't be perfect.

31. Be patient.

32. Be good-looking. Dress fine. Wear clean shoes. Wear a good necklace. Wear a good wristwatch. Wear good bracelets. They don't need to be expensive at all; hardly anyone will ask you for their costs.

33. Don't beg your colleagues for food and money. There can be a show of love through the giving and receiving of gifts. But make sure you don't beg. Learn to manage your resources.

34. Learn to resume on time.

35. Not everybody can become an entrepreneur. Employees must respect the ethics of their work. And employers must treat employees well because they are the backbone of the organization, and if they connive together, they can bring the organization down in a moment.

Thanks.

Na for Google u copy this thing come paste for here abi...

5 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by KristaPretty(f): 1:38pm On Jul 11, 2022
Do anything you want and get out abeg

Tired of those motivational thingy angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Trueprophet91: 1:39pm On Jul 11, 2022
Slurity:
It is too late for this. In my state here, it will take your over 4 years to explain that there is a party call Labour party and another 4 years to explain that the candidate of the party is called Obi, and immediately they hear him full name. They run away

I see some places remaining a shithole for a long time.

My eyes are seeing and my ears are hearing cool cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 11, 2022
You go hustle without results.Na when you enter fraud or armed robbery you go hit big money.Naija way.
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by IyaTola: 1:43pm On Jul 11, 2022
DWJOBScom:
Never work for a startup where the owner is the CEO and Board member

Please explain more

1 Like

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by IyaTola: 1:44pm On Jul 11, 2022
Narnah:
Be careful who you choose as a Business Partner
Could you please share your experience

1 Like

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by DWJOBScom(m): 1:45pm On Jul 11, 2022
IyaTola:
Please explain more

Everything resides around him
Collaboration resides with him
So no new idea
Everything depends on his or her mood

naaaaa

3 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jul 11, 2022
Na who invent this monthly salary job?How can you be working from 1st to 30th before you collect #30k? Which means a day is #1k.After you receive alert half of the salary go go on utility bills and before a week you don broke and begin to borrow money till you collect another salary.
Which kind yeye hustle be this?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by IyaTola: 1:48pm On Jul 11, 2022
prosper97:
1* learn to save while work that might not last for long.
2* Don't ever try to date your colleague
3* Only pretend to be friendly, you can find a true friend around those who see you as competion
4* Keep your life out work secret
5* if you have any source of income outside your salary let it be your secret
Learnt 5 the hard way
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by IyaTola: 1:49pm On Jul 11, 2022
UyaiIncomparabl:
*Never be loyal to any boss. You can be sacked and dumped anytime. Have backup plans. They don't love you, they only love you as much as they can use you.

* Always leave a good record. You'll need that "reference" in the future.
why?
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by PAROTLAND(m): 1:52pm On Jul 11, 2022
Don’t ever be the person that speaks up for others, they don’t get your back as you go theirs. You will be fired and they will all pretend not to know what you did for them all.

Once management realizes that you can Speak, them don mark you.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 11, 2022
MadamOk:
Humility, hardwork and how to dress well so that people will see that I hold a big position in where am working, which make people to respect me and never see me less
Don't use package to deceive yourself.It doesn't end well.
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by CaveAdullam: 2:01pm On Jul 11, 2022
Fantazy:

Na for Google u copy this thing come paste for here abi...

This is no justification for your 1-2 digits IQ comparable to each hour of the day. Maybe 24 Mb IQ points space i.e 1MB/hour brain processing ability.

Don't be the stupid and jealous same time.

There are enough plagiarism tools to verify the post. Or, better still, copy and paste on the Google search engine to verify if it is copy and paste or plagiarised. Go through my posts here, they are my track records.
Anyway, your intelligence is poor and low, no need to bother.

For the fact that some herds are liking your post...it sucks. Birds of the same feather.

Have a nice day.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by hkidola00(m): 2:10pm On Jul 11, 2022
Uzomacharles:
I no just learn anything...

Wetin you wan learn for bet shop wey you go dey get shortage?

Quit the job after 1week
me self won quit for my bet9ja office...abeg what do u do now
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Uzomacharles: 2:11pm On Jul 11, 2022
hkidola00:
me self won quit for my bet9ja office...abeg what do u do now

Na Supermarket I dey now since ASUU no wan call off strike
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by MITCHELL96: 2:12pm On Jul 11, 2022
CaveAdullam:
1. Be competent.

2. Give no room for complacency; it will be used against you in the future.

3. Always go with the required tools or materials for work.

4. By all means avoid excuses; it will give you might to challenge anyone who wants to use their lackadaisical attitude to limit you.

5. Don't argue with your boss. Answer yes!

6. Suggest ideas to your boss why praise him. Your boss doesn't need your ideas by the way.

7. You can't change an already established system, you are there for the money, work for it and get out.

8. Respect your senior colleagues, if not, they will work against you.

9. Respect your junior colleagues, they can make work faster and run some shitty games for you.

10. Respect the janitors and other staff not directly connected to the activities of the business. They will help you someday. Tip them from time to time. They can defend you at the right moment.

11. Respect your clients or customers. Falling on the wrong side will either affect your profits or salary.

12. Customers and clients want praise. Saturate them with it. It takes nothing from you, just mere words.

13. Don't argue with your boss or superior. Doing the opposite will help him spot loopholes in your line of work and use them against you.

14. Learn how to defend yourself especially when you make mistakes. Explain yourself rather than apologize. You need competence to pull this string though.

15. Don't separate yourself from your colleagues, work with them so that you'll get a glimpse of what's going on.

16. Maintain your standard. Don't be cajoled into any nonsense. This sends a message to your colleagues that you are different and can't easily be fooled.

17. Office romance must be avoided. If you don't have the mental fortitude and deceptiveness to pull office romance, forget it.

18. Always do your work on time and finish on time.

19. Use free time to do other useful activities. It can be within or outside your scope of work. E.g reading, writing, teaching, etc.

20. Only argue with your boss when that month is the last you will be working with him.

21. Always pay homage to your superior's superior. This person will help you when you experience friction with your current superior or boss. E.g Manager, Founder, President of the organization.

22. Put yourself in a position where you can't easily be replaced. Only competence and great skill can help you here.

23. Learn to cover your mistakes and quickly correct them. Nobody loves a clumsy worker.

24. Be passionate about your work. If you are not, you will make foolish mistakes along the way.

25. Don't leave your current job because of anticipation of another job that you have not secured fully. Except you have big savings though.

26. Even if you don't like your boss or work, just do your assigned role and work your way out.

27. If a promotion doesn't come easily don't do extra work.

28. Extra work will make your boss use you as a beast of burden. Protect your competence from exploitation.

29. If you are not paid for extra work, feigned laziness. But do your assigned role perfectly.

30. Take corrections and learn. Despite your competence, you can't be perfect.

31. Be patient.

32. Be good-looking. Dress fine. Wear clean shoes. Wear a good necklace. Wear a good wristwatch. Wear good bracelets. They don't need to be expensive at all; hardly anyone will ask you for their costs.

33. Don't beg your colleagues for food and money. There can be a show of love through the giving and receiving of gifts. But make sure you don't beg. Learn to manage your resources.

34. Learn to resume on time.

35. Not everybody can become an entrepreneur. Employees must respect the ethics of their work. And employers must treat employees well because they are the backbone of the organization, and if they connive together, they can bring the organization down in a moment.

Thanks.

Best Comment On this Thread, Think I should give you Follow cool

4 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Caleycashh: 2:13pm On Jul 11, 2022
Taught me I'm a boss and shouldn't be working with any stupid ass private sector, they'll want to use and drain you...but once you know your rights and don't worship them like other stupid idiots, they'll hate you and want to ruin you, that's a sign you are to look for ways and establish yourself,not everyone can work under people... some people are born boss!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by hkidola00(m): 2:17pm On Jul 11, 2022
Uzomacharles:

Na Supermarket I dey now since ASUU no wan call off strike
how well does supermarket pays compare to bet9ja
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by coputa(m): 2:18pm On Jul 11, 2022
doggedfighter:
Keep moving until you get your desired job.

Don't be too loyal nuturing another man's business that you forget yourself.

You can never inherit his business.

His children and family will .

When you expire you will be kicked out !

Think of yourself first !

A rolling stone gather no moss.na you go inherit the business before.You have to work with your heart to garner enough experience for your future endeavours.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Detail Information Get Help Worldwide / Ways To Research A Company Before The Job Interview / N-Power: Second Payment Processing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.