Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,742 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? (11651 Views)

What Was Your First Job, And What Do You Do Now? / My First Job Experience After School As A Lady. / At What Age Did You Land Your First Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by MITCHELL96: 7:04pm On Jul 11, 2022
CaveAdullam:

Thanks for your kind words. I do appreciate it.

Done, You're Welcome

2 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by CaveAdullam: 7:40pm On Jul 11, 2022
Lasisieniola77:
This is so insightful

Thank you sir/ma. Promise to do better.

2 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by ghettowriter(m): 8:08pm On Jul 11, 2022
Slurity:
It is too late for this. In my state here, it will take your over 4 years to explain that there is a party call Labour party and another 4 years to explain that the candidate of the party is called Obi, and immediately they hear him full name. They run away

Too late for your advice. I have copied the phone number of the LP chairman in my resident state. Ama call him tommorow as i have already began sensitizing people i meet about Peter Obi. I recide in a northern state by the way.
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Wwwq: 8:57pm On Jul 11, 2022
Nothing
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by abdulwassi(m): 9:57pm On Jul 11, 2022
Mk person link Me up. I need job ohhhh

1 Like

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by obowunmi(m): 10:14pm On Jul 11, 2022
DWJOBScom:
Never work for a startup where the owner is the CEO and Board member

A word is enough for the wise.
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by titanrodri(m): 10:40pm On Jul 11, 2022
The only thing your company owes you is your salary.. They don't owe your loyalty

2 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by beyondPen(m): 11:29pm On Jul 11, 2022
preacherdark:
Don't let anyone knows the secret you use to make your work go flawless. Once the secret leaks you will seem to be important, that's your identity

Nobody at work is your friend, don't let anyone knows your personal life except your name

Don't date anyone at work

When people are speaking, only listen. When you are told to speak, speak less but let silence be your ultimate goal.

Before you answer any query, or type any message, respond to any message at work or what have you. Write is down, eat, drink and sleep on it before you hit send, in the morning you will find clarity.

There is wisdom here

2 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Lexcott: 12:27am On Jul 12, 2022
Your work is NOT YOUR FAMILY...your family dey house.

1 Like

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by preacherdark(m): 7:26am On Jul 12, 2022
beyondPen:

What wisdom this is?
what I learnt the hard way at my previous work place. You must be careful, the heart of man is full of envy
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Narnah(f): 9:35pm On Jul 12, 2022
Without going into too much details, one's business partner could either slowdown or accelerate the company's development.

It's best when both partners can see eye to eye on most things (if not all).

IyaTola:
Could you please share your experience
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by billyman(m): 10:21am On Jul 13, 2022
Not to be too submissive to ur bosses
Dem go take you for granted.. u gat dey strong eyes some times.

4 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by bummyla(m): 9:30am On Jul 17, 2022
I have worked for a female CEO for 16 years and she's the best! None of her staff has been with her less than 8 years now

BankyGee:
Female employers dey wicked.
My first and second Job taught me that.

4 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Hamachi(f): 1:07pm On Jul 17, 2022
bummyla:
I have worked for a female CEO for 16 years and she's the best! None of her staff has been with her less than 8 years now

Did she school abroad?
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by BankyGee(m): 11:02pm On Jul 17, 2022
bummyla:

That's your own experience bruv, everyone with different experiences cool

4 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by bummyla(m): 12:23am On Jul 18, 2022
Why did you ask? Schooled in Uniport, but her parents lived abroad most of their lives, they visit and come back

Hamachi:
Did she school abroad?
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Hamachi(f): 6:42am On Jul 18, 2022
bummyla:
Why did you ask? Schooled in Uniport, but her parents lived abroad most of their lives, they visit and come back

Hmmmmm
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Oyindamolah: 2:27am On Jul 23, 2022
Rastaramsey:
I learnt you should work smart not work hard smiley
Them use my head when I work for POS that time...

I go Waka like goat go collect money for bank still Waka come bank undecided

Las Las person no go collect pass 10k
Join the Job WhatsApp group
https:///Hop7R158wgl4gopzAsqZpF
It's a first come first serve basis
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Threesha(f): 11:29am On Jul 25, 2022
wink
Nekky5:
Patience and understanding
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Oyindamolah: 8:04pm On Aug 09, 2022
wink
preacherdark:
Don't let anyone knows the secret you use to make your work go flawless. Once the secret leaks you will seem to be important, that's your identity

Nobody at work is your friend, don't let anyone knows your personal life except your name

Don't date anyone at work

When people are speaking, only listen. When you are told to speak, speak less but let silence be your ultimate goal.

Before you answer any query, or type any message, respond to any message at work or what have you. Write is down, eat, drink and sleep on it before you hit send, in the morning you will find clarity.

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Threesha(f): 6:43am On Aug 21, 2022
Good
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Mar 23, 2023
CaveAdullam:
1. Be competent.

2. Give no room for complacency; it will be used against you in the future.

3. Always go with the required tools or materials for work.

4. By all means avoid excuses; it will give you might to challenge anyone who wants to use their lackadaisical attitude to limit you.

5. Don't argue with your boss. Answer yes!

6. Suggest ideas to your boss why praise him. Your boss doesn't need your ideas by the way.

7. You can't change an already established system, you are there for the money, work for it and get out.

8. Respect your senior colleagues, if not, they will work against you.

9. Respect your junior colleagues, they can make work faster and run some shitty games for you.

10. Respect the janitors and other staff not directly connected to the activities of the business. They will help you someday. Tip them from time to time. They can defend you at the right moment.

11. Respect your clients or customers. Falling on the wrong side will either affect your profits or salary.

12. Customers and clients want praise. Saturate them with it. It takes nothing from you, just mere words.

13. Don't argue with your boss or superior. Doing the opposite will help him spot loopholes in your line of work and use them against you.

14. Learn how to defend yourself especially when you make mistakes. Explain yourself rather than apologize. You need competence to pull this string though.

15. Don't separate yourself from your colleagues, work with them so that you'll get a glimpse of what's going on.

16. Maintain your standard. Don't be cajoled into any nonsense. This sends a message to your colleagues that you are different and can't easily be fooled.

17. Office romance must be avoided. If you don't have the mental fortitude and deceptiveness to pull office romance, forget it.

18. Always do your work on time and finish on time.

19. Use free time to do other useful activities. It can be within or outside your scope of work. E.g reading, writing, teaching, etc.

20. Only argue with your boss when that month is the last you will be working with him.

21. Always pay homage to your superior's superior. This person will help you when you experience friction with your current superior or boss. E.g Manager, Founder, President of the organization.

22. Put yourself in a position where you can't easily be replaced. Only competence and great skill can help you here.

23. Learn to cover your mistakes and quickly correct them. Nobody loves a clumsy worker.

24. Be passionate about your work. If you are not, you will make foolish mistakes along the way.

25. Don't leave your current job because of anticipation of another job that you have not secured fully. Except you have big savings though.

26. Even if you don't like your boss or work, just do your assigned role and work your way out.

27. If a promotion doesn't come easily don't do extra work.

28. Extra work will make your boss use you as a beast of burden. Protect your competence from exploitation.

29. If you are not paid for extra work, feigned laziness. But do your assigned role perfectly.

30. Take corrections and learn. Despite your competence, you can't be perfect.

31. Be patient.

32. Be good-looking. Dress fine. Wear clean shoes. Wear a good necklace. Wear a good wristwatch. Wear good bracelets. They don't need to be expensive at all; hardly anyone will ask you for their costs.

33. Don't beg your colleagues for food and money. There can be a show of love through the giving and receiving of gifts. But make sure you don't beg. Learn to manage your resources.

34. Learn to resume on time.

35. Not everybody can become an entrepreneur. Employees must respect the ethics of their work. And employers must treat employees well because they are the backbone of the organization, and if they connive together, they can bring the organization down in a moment.

Thanks.

Sir good evening,
Just refreshing on your posts, they deserve to be archived please don't delete your account for any reason, I'm always reading it regularly, it's wisdom is top notch, God bless you sir, keep on the good works.

2 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by IyaTola: 7:26am On Apr 09, 2023
Wwwq:
Nothing
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Hamachi(f): 6:03am On Sep 17, 2023
kiss
sureway1:
Hard work doesn't pay, diligence does...
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by 77star: 4:57pm On Sep 22, 2023
Hahjascho:
In another way....give your best to working but, plan for your life.

You get paid at least.
You sum it up

2 Likes

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Hamachi(f): 2:40pm On Nov 12, 2023
abdulwassi:
Mk person link Me up. I need job ohhhh
Have you gotten a job?
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by QuinModah(f): 1:18pm On Apr 21
wink
doggedfighter:
Keep moving until you get your desired job.

Don't be too loyal nuturing another man's business that you forget yourself.

You can never inherit his business.

His children and family will .

When you expire you will be kicked out !

Think of yourself first !

Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Shahensha(m): 2:42pm On Apr 21
Be sure of what you want for your self at all times.

Drowning in Data? Translate it Fast!

Are you Stuck with tedious data entry or struggling to translate content? Free up your time and gain peace of mind! I offer accurate data entry and high-quality translation services in a variety of languages.

Call to Action:
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Karlifate: 11:01am On Apr 22
rickleye:

Not sure why you didn't go .. get your 4months areas and negotiate a 6month salary for a future termination of contract.

LMAO! 🤣🤣

Which private company owned by a Nigerian, in Nigeria will do that
Re: What Important Lesson Did Your First Job Teach You? by Karlifate: 11:02am On Apr 22
Antai123:

You may be right but, I didn't think of such, I was very angry about how my hardwork and honesty was rewarded. I felt it was an opportunity to pay back. Anyway, I don't think they would have accepted to pay me my 4month salary. Cos it has not been in practice before since I joined them. Even my rent was not paid because, I was not going to stay with them again. It pains but that is the sad reality.

No mind am.

They won't pay you shishi.

You'd rather waste your [limited] time & other [scarce] resources.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ways To Research A Company Before The Job Interview / N-Power: Second Payment Processing / Current Vacancies @ DFID - October 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.