Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,792 members, 7,831,562 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Politically, Muslims Are Underrepresented In Southern Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Politically, Muslims Are Underrepresented In Southern Nigeria (122 Views)

Southeast Is Underrepresented In The National Power Structure - Reno Omokri / Dogara Politically Worthless, Has No Electoral Value – APC / Saraki Hails Supreme Court Verdict, Says Trial Politically Motivated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Politically, Muslims Are Underrepresented In Southern Nigeria by Elbinawi: 4:36pm On Jul 12, 2022
Little Correction to this my article:

Chief Awolawo's running in 1979 was a Muslim in person of Alhaji Kura Makaman Misau from Bauchi State. It was in 1983 he picked a Christian from the South East.
-------------------------

Still on the Muslim-Muslim ticket of APC....

It is obvious that the Nigerian Christian Community not happy with the decision of Bola Tinubu to chose a Northern Muslim as his running mate. All Christian organizations condemned it.

Having said this in the history of the Nigerian state, Muslim-Muslim and Christian-Christian tickets happened on multiple occasions with no public resentment or reservations. Both Chief Obafemi Awolowo and Chief Nnamdi Azikiwe flew a Christian-Christian ticket during the 1983 and 1979 presidential election respectively and millions of Nigerian voters voted for them. Chief Obafemi Awolowo also flew a Southern-Southern ticket because his VP was from Anambra state.

The Abiola June 12th presidential election is popular. As recent as 2011, Nuhu Ribadu's VP was a Yoruba Muslim when he contested under the ACN. Nobody cared.

The facts on the ground shows that politically Southern Muslims are more marginalized than Northern Christians.

A Journalist from Borno State sent me the statistics below: Check ✅ this:

Fact 1:
Total States in Nigeria - 36
Christian Governors - 20 (56%)
Muslim Governors - 16 (44%)

Fact 2:
Total States in Nigeria - 36
Christian Dep Govs - 22 (61%)
Muslim Dep Govs - 14 (39%)

Fact 3:
Total States in the South - 17
Christian Governors - 16 (94%)
Muslim Governors - 1 (6%)

Fact 4:
Total States in the North - 19
Christian Governors - 4 (21%)
Muslim Governors - 15 (79%)

Fact 5:
Total States in the South - 17
Christian Dep Govs - 14 (82%)
Muslim Dep Govs - 3 (18%)

Fact 6:
Total States in the North - 19
Christian Dep Govs - 8 (42%)
Muslim Dep Govs - 11 (58%)

Inference:

In my opinion, Nigerian Christians benefit from the political power of elected Christian officials than Muslims benefiting from elected Muslim officials. Undoubtedly, the corrupt Northern Oligarchy is the most wicked set of ruling elites in the whole world.

With the extreme nepotism of Tyrant Buhari, tell me what the poor and hungry masses of the North benefits? Nothing!!! Infact millions of them were plunged into the extreme poverty bracket.

More than 95% of the murderous armed bandits in Nigeria are Northern Muslim Youths. Can you tell me if there was quality education for them, jobs and good parental controls and care they would have chosen the path of armed banditry? They won't!

Conclusion:

I am a supporter of inclusion in leadership but this should not be restricted to the presidency alone. Politically Muslims are underrepresented in the South.

#ElbinawiTweets
Re: Politically, Muslims Are Underrepresented In Southern Nigeria by BigSarah(f): 4:37pm On Jul 12, 2022
There are more Christians in the north, than Muslims in the south..

There's no single state in the south with 40% Muslims

(1) (Reply)

Group Endorses Return Of Rep Obidigwe For Anambra East/west Constituency / Special Thanksgiving Invitation: Ever Working Sagbama Lga  Boss Goes To Church / 2023 Election: New National Anthem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.