Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,545 members, 7,819,939 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim (13013 Views)

Can A Muslim Woman Marry A Non-muslim Man? / Ruling On A Muslim Man Marrying A Non-muslim Woman And Vice Versa / Responding To The Greetings Of A Parrot Or Phone Ringing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by Rexymania(m): 1:47pm On Jul 15, 2022
Amin ya Allah

x123xlolls:

May Allah bless you
Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by Rapture4real(m): 2:08pm On Jul 15, 2022
It's like only people that give you Muslims nightmare are Jews and Christians. What of other religions? When Islamic extremists attack churches, I ask myself if Christianity is the only religion in the whole world.

Two, how will you interprete that greeting to may death be upon you instead of peace. Even if the people can't pronounce it well but do so to identify with you, why will you do that.

The problem in Islam is the spirit of hatred, insecurity, brainwash, envy etc against other religions.

We Christians love you but you hate us. Isaac and Ishmael comes to mind.

Don't crucify me because I don't go back to read comment.

8 Likes

Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by skuribeebo: 2:55pm On Jul 15, 2022
Just say 'I am sorry, my mouth is paining me '
Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by jidxin(m): 3:06pm On Jul 15, 2022
Narrated by Muslim, 2167).
If one of them says As-Saam alaykum meaning, may death be upon you or it is not clear whether they have said salaam, then we should respond by saying Wa alaykum (and upon you).....ewoooooooooooooooooo seee religion of peace indeed. this is a very bad teaching

2 Likes

Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by ALFADOS(m): 3:14pm On Jul 15, 2022
Lukgaf:
Some non -muslims out of courtesy pay us a Tasleem. As a Muslim, how should we return it?

"Praise be to Allah.

It is not permissible firstly to initiate the greeting of salaam to a non-Muslim. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: Do not initiate the greeting of salaam to a Jew or a Christian

(Narrated by Muslim, 2167).
If one of them says As-Saam alaykum meaning, may death be upon you or it is not clear whether they have said salaam, then we should respond by saying Wa alaykum (and upon you).

It was reported that Ibn Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: When the Jews greet you, they say Al-saam alaykum (may death be upon you), so respond by saying alayk (and also upon you).

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5902; Muslim, 2461).
If a non-Muslim greets us with the correct shari greeting (i.e., says Al-salaamu alaykum clearly), the scholars differed as to whether we have to return the greeting. The majority of scholars said that we do have to return the greeting, and this is the correct view.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: they differed as to whether it is obligatory to return the greeting. The majority said that it is obligatory and this is the correct view. A group of scholars said that it is not obligatory to return their greeting just as it is not obligatory to return the greeting of those who follow bidah. But the correct view is the first one. The difference is that we are commanded to forsake the followers of bidah by way of rebuke and to warn others about them, which is not the case with the Ahl al-Dhimmah (Jews and Christians).

(Zaad al-Maaad, 2/425, 426)

The Muslim who is returning the greeting should respond in the manner prescribed by shareeah, giving a similar or better greeting, because of the general meaning of the Aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally. [al-Nisa 4:86]

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: if the person is certain that the Dhimmi (Jew or Christian) is clearly saying al-salaamu alaykum to him, and he has no doubts about that, should he say wa alayka al-salaam or shorten it to wa alayk? What is indicated by the evidence and principles of shareeah is that he should say wa alayka al-salaam, because this is more just, and Allaah commands us to be just and to treat others well this does not contradict any of the ahaadeeth on this topic at all, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded us to shorten the greeting to wa alayk because of the reason mentioned above, which is that they deliberately used to say al-saam alaykum instead of al-salaam alaykum, as indicated in the hadeeth narrated by Aaishah (may Allaah be pleased with her). He said, Do you not see that I say wa alaykum when they say al-saam alaykum? Then he said, If the People of the Book greet you with salaam, say, Wa alaykum.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

and when they come to you, they greet you with a greeting wherewith Allaah greets you not, and say within themselves, Why would Allâh punish us not for what we say? [al-Mujaadilah 58:8]

If this reason is not there, and the Jew or Christian says, Salaam alaykum wa rahmat-Allaah, then it is only fair to respond in kind.

(Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah, 1/425, 426)

The hadeeth of Aaishah was narrated by al-Bukhaari (5901) and Muslim (2165)

See also: Majmoo Fataawa Ibn Uthaymeen, 2/97

And Allaah knows best."

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/6583/how-should-we-return-the-greeting-of-salaam-from-a-non-muslim
Mash Allah jzkhr
Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by ALFADOS(m): 3:14pm On Jul 15, 2022
Rashduct4luv:
Assalamu alaikum to all our Muslim brothers and sisters. We ask Allah to perfect us in goodness of Taqwa, Taoheed and Istiqama.
Ameen jzkhr

1 Like

Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by Kingzeez10: 3:22pm On Jul 15, 2022
JohnieWalker12:
This is very wrong and non believers would deliberately not say death be unto you as a greeting. Islam should be more just and upright in her teachings with other members of the society. Thank you .

Its obvious you didn't read the full write up.
Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by Moneyboyz: 3:25pm On Jul 15, 2022
Imagine the efontry, how did your forefathers greet themselves before your salve masters came to maim them and give them religion by fire by force?

How should you greet humans who you knew before you know religion?
How should you greet your tribesmen before you get lost in the teachings of some Arabian god?

Why should you greet your tribesmen in another man's language?
In a language they don't understand!

1 Like

Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by Halogenabdul(m): 3:25pm On Jul 15, 2022
Rashduct4luv:
Assalamu alaikum to all our Muslim brothers and sisters. We ask Allah to perfect us in goodness of Taqwa, Taoheed and Istiqama.
Wa alaykum wa'rahmatulah, wa'barakatuhu.

1 Like

Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by Ilaje1: 4:46pm On Jul 15, 2022
x123xlolls:
because:

Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.

2 John 1:9-11

You are a fool. How does quoting Bible represent non-muslims? Basically you have no answer to his question.

1 Like

Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by edward1106(m): 6:01pm On Jul 15, 2022
Muslims faithfuls! Please hear me once and just once!!
Most non-muslims who say the Islamic words for "death be upon you" are ignorant of the meaning. Infact, they say it becus they would argue that was what they heard from other muslims. Please, teach them the difference and I bet you, they would greet you with the correct greeting instead of WISHING THEM what they clearly didn't have in mind.
I am not a Muslim and Peace be upon you all.

2 Likes

Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by JohnieWalker12(m): 6:59pm On Jul 15, 2022
Kingzeez10:

Its obvious you didn't read the full write up.

How can you just jump into conclusion. I read the whole write up. What's your point sir ?
Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by IJOBA11: 10:08pm On Jul 15, 2022
Rexymania:
I'm a Muslim convert, and I think there are some issues you bring here. Don't bring this kind of topic here... It causes strive amongst us
IS EVERYTHING OK WITH YOU SIR undecided
Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by Bimpe29: 10:57pm On Jul 15, 2022
Rashduct4luv:
Waaleikum sallam warahmatullahi wabarkatuh. Aameen Yaa Raabi.

Jumu'ah Mubarak!
Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by MyExpression(m): 5:57am On Jul 16, 2022
x123xlolls:
because:

Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.

Stop misinterpreting the Bible.

That verse is about other religious teachers, especially fellow "Christians" who do not teach the doctrine of Christ.
Some believe in ordinances, angels, exorcism, prophets of old.....anyone leading you to God outside of Christ and His finished works of salvation...do not give heed to them.

Read in full context, do not lift a portion wrongly, just to suit your argument

Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by ANTllSLAAM: 6:53am On Jul 16, 2022
Just keep mute lobatan
Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by luluman: 8:18am On Jul 16, 2022
x123xlolls:
Islam is a complete way of life, simple, easy. grin

JAZAKALLAH FOR THE ARTICLE

People of hate and ignorance will soon rush here and spill the trash as usual.

Don't hurt or Abuse/Hate any non-Muslim, Try and educate them instead.

That's how Muhammadu (pbuh) treated them.

#OneLove

A quick question to any Christian reading this: on sundays, Muslims won't have time to drail xtians threads, but why ALL NL xtians rush to our threads on Friday? angry

Something is wrong somewhere walai

Let start with this one:
The bible is comman more hate than that to us Muslims:

John 1:9-11

It's a must to visit us here?

I am not into politics, but how can a man that can't islamise his wife Islamise 200M people
Mr dumb ass. You claim Islam is a complete way of life yet you say people spill trash which is insulting: did Islam teach you that?
2nd: It is erroneous to call Christians xtian: If you know nothing about the religion why not mind your business? If it was your religion that was called wrong names we all know you would have cut off the person's head by now.
Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by Islamnightmare: 7:36pm On Jul 16, 2022
Comedian2019:
What if a Muslim greets an a non religious person who's not arab al-salaam alaykum?
Does he not have right not to answer him since he doesn't understand his language? grin grin grin

Just send the curse back to the cursed
Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by Islamnightmare: 7:38pm On Jul 16, 2022
luluman:
Mr dumb ass. You claim Islam is a complete way of life yet you say people spill trash which is insulting: did Islam teach you that?
2nd: It is erroneous to call Christians xtian: If you know nothing about the religion why not mind your business? If it was your religion that was called wrong names we all know you would have cut off the person's head by now.

You dey mind them?
5 times a day they curse and insult Christian and Jews while doing their Salat but it's Christians that are terrible. So much for the religion of terrorists

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by excanny: 9:33am On Jul 17, 2022
edward1106:
Muslims faithfuls! Please hear me once and just once!!
Most non-muslims who say the Islamic words for "death be upon you" are ignorant of the meaning. Infact, they say it becus they would argue that was what they heard from other muslims. Please, teach them the difference and I bet you, they would greet you with the correct greeting instead of WISHING THEM what they clearly didn't have in mind.
I am not a Muslim and Peace be upon you all.

Even a Muslim that knows the difference can even say “Death be upon you”.

After all, Muslims kill other Muslims physically.

This is a bad teaching from Islam. Promotes hatred.
Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by edward1106(m): 10:25am On Jul 17, 2022
x123xlolls:

May Allah bless you

I bet u didn't understand the words of the one you quoted..
Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by edward1106(m): 10:32am On Jul 17, 2022
x123xlolls:
because:

At the centre of the teachings of Jesus Christ is LOVE. The 1st and 2nd second commandments are the STRUCTURE. I mean, what more can be love than treating others as yourself.. The teachings of Christ is HUMANITY(LOVE FOR ONE ANOTHER) and GODLINESS..

Re: How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim by fadal(m): 4:32pm On Aug 17, 2022
U TELL HIM WA ALAIKOOM

(1) (2) (Reply)

Medical Advice On Fasting. I Pray It Helps. / Nigeria Man From Kebbi Dies In Medina During Hajj, After A Brief Illness / Ramadan Kareem!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.