Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,824 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. (4931 Views)

Help! Engine Rattle And Check Engine After Fixing Gasket / 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? / Rattle Sound On Cold Start RX350 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by TRYGO(m): 9:48pm On Aug 30, 2023
This shows the engine valvetrain exposed, the intake camshaft gear installed.

Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by TRYGO(m): 7:36am On Aug 31, 2023
New and old timing chain damper (top). The old one had a broken plastic damper, which increased the rattling noise to such a scary level. Always inspect this part, when replacing the camshaft gears.

Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by TRYGO(m): 7:46am On Aug 31, 2023
B

Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by codemaster2much: 8:56am On Aug 31, 2023
Bro you dey try, you Gazzuzz, kingreign and radautowork and less I forget one bro called blackbishop are among the best on nairaland
Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by TRYGO(m): 7:57pm On Aug 31, 2023
The only two parts replaced

Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by TRYGO(m): 8:18pm On Aug 31, 2023
The new camshaft gear ordered from ebay, here, after it was left soaked for a day in 5W-30 engine oil.

Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by TRYGO(m): 8:21pm On Aug 31, 2023
The camshaft gear, soaked in engine oil before installation

Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by TRYGO(m): 8:23pm On Aug 31, 2023
Image showing the new camshaft gear replaced.

Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by TRYGO(m): 8:27pm On Aug 31, 2023
T

Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by aieromon(m): 9:20pm On Aug 31, 2023
TRYGO:
The new camshaft gear ordered from ebay, here, after it was left soaked for a day in 5W-30 engine oil.

What is the reason for this?

1 Like

Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by jceesquare(m): 8:49am On Sep 01, 2023
aieromon:

So it doesn't run dry on 1st start. But leaving it soaked in oil for a whole day is an overkill to me though. Better safe than sorry sa.

1 Like

Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by TRYGO(m): 9:25pm On Sep 01, 2023
aieromon:

Resln for this is to prevent damaging the internal mechanism in the camshaft gear, as a result of it being bone dry feom the factory as it is brand new. Hope you understand thatstarting an engine component, especially the valve train, without oil, would wear out the components much faster?

Another reason nis that the camshaft gear comes from the factory LOCKED. So it is recommended by toyota or other brands, to have the gear unlocked, using pressurised air, to prevent that sudden rattling noise you may hear on the first start if the engine after inatallation.

If you got no access to compressed air in the shop, a sime alternayive i use is to soak in oil for a day; and when you come to install, immdiately you insert the solid camahft rod into the keyway opening of the camshaft gear,, it is always easily hand twisted clockwise to unlocked it.

2 Likes

Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by TRYGO(m): 9:26pm On Sep 01, 2023
jceesquare:

So it doesn't run dry on 1st start. But leaving it soaked in oil for a whole day is an overkill to me though. Better safe than sorry sa.

Yes

1 Like

Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by fk002: 8:29am On Nov 10, 2023
TRYGO:
Old and new cams placed side by side, ready for installation

Good morning sir, is it advisable to just buy another camshaft rather than changing the camshaft gear?
Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by TRYGO(m): 9:36am On Nov 25, 2023
fk002:

Good morning sir, is it advisable to just buy another camshaft rather than changing the camshaft gear?

Depends if you are buying them used or brand new. If buying used, the complete camshaft would be economical. But you got to maje sure the camshaft gear itself is not the same defective type from the donor vehicle.
Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by fk002: 9:55am On Nov 25, 2023
TRYGO:

Depends if you are buying them used or brand new. If buying used, the complete camshaft would be economical. But you got to maje sure the camshaft gear itself is not the same defective type from the donor vehicle.

Thank you I bought the Belgium one, and the car is fine now.

Some part of the damper that holds the chain got broken the chain was moving freely, and the part of the damper that broke, caused defect on one of the gear of the camshaft the one at the back precisely.

So I had to change Damper, sprocket, and one complete camshaft.

Everything is working fine now. I hope it will last.

2 Likes

Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by macbeyland(m): 1:58am On Nov 29, 2023
Jesu Kristi! You guys will not believe that I've been having this same issue. Each time I start my vehicle, it makes this rattling noise for like 2 seconds and stops. Sometimes while moving, it makes the noise too.

Just yesterday, a diagnostics center said it's the oil pump

Possibly might be unrelated, but I noticed that engine sound seems louder in the cabin when accelerating, even when the windshields are wound up. The vehicle came with an already tampered (changed) catalytic converter, it's a China one that's there. I don't know if it's the camshaft, or the fake catalytic converter or just a bad muffler that's causing the loud engine noise on acceleration.

When the engine is running idle, you can barely hear it. The loud engine noise into the cabin is only noticeable when you begin to accelerate.

My Vehicle is Toyota corolla 2008 XLE
Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by dicksonadams(m): 3:34am On Nov 29, 2023
TRYGO:

how do you know if the cam gear being purchased is defective?
Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by fk002: 8:04am On Nov 29, 2023
macbeyland:
Jesu Kristi! You guys will not believe that I've been having this same issue. Each time I start my vehicle, it makes this rattling noise for like 2 seconds and stops. Sometimes while moving, it makes the noise too.

Possibly might be unrelated, but I noticed that engine sound seems louder in the cabin when accelerating, even when the windshields are wound up. The vehicle came with an already tampered (changed) catalytic converter, it's a China one that's there. I don't know if it's the camshaft, or the fake catalytic converter or just a bad muffler that's causing the loud engine noise on acceleration.

When the engine is running idle, you can barely hear it. The loud engine noise into the cabin is only noticeable when you begin to accelerate.

Is obviously the camshaft that is making the rattling noise
Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by fk002: 8:05am On Nov 29, 2023
dicksonadams:

The teeth of the gear ⚙️ will be chopped off or bruised
Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by macbeyland(m): 8:27am On Nov 29, 2023
fk002:

Is obviously the camshaft that is making the rattling noise

Pls any idea why my engine noise will be loud on acceleration?

Do you think it is the catalytic converter that's causing it?
Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by dicksonadams(m): 10:25am On Nov 29, 2023
fk002:

The teeth of the gear ⚙️ will be chopped off or bruised

appreciate
Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by TRYGO(m): 6:14am On Dec 09, 2023
dicksonadams:

Via parr numbers
Re: Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. by TRYGO(m): 6:22am On Dec 09, 2023
macbeyland:

You probably would not get correct answer here regarding this noise.
A visit to a workshop for noise identification will be needed.
Sometimes, could be a hub bearing noise.

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Car / Volvo Makes Plans For An Electric Vehicle / Bus / Mini Bus (korope) Needed For Transport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.