Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:38 AM

3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? (3402 Views)

Engine Rattle Noise Upon Cold Startup. / Cars And Clothing Any Correlation?? / Rattle Sound On Cold Start RX350 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:36am On Jun 23, 2018
you startup a modern day vehicle from cold start, it rattles for a few secs (kakakakakakakakakakaa) then noise goes away like nothing happened. No performance issues, no noise. But when ever vehicle stands still inactive for about 5-6hrs and you startup again, you have the startup rattle.

If you have this problem, it is almost certain you have a defective VTC actuator.

VTC stands for Variable Timing control, As engine rpm builds, the VTC actuator - controlled by the engine computer that monitors cam position, ignition timing, exhaust emission and throttle position - advances or retards the intake cam throughout a range , optimizing engine output and reducing emissions.

So in summary, the intake camshaft is not static, but variable.

When defective it rattles for a few secs until a buildup of oil pressure keeps it stable, so basically it's inability to hold oil makes it rattle for a few seconds.

Causes of this defect could arise from the use of wrong oil grades (20w50 people unna weldone) and Defect in production.

Now here's the interesting part of this topic.

Once in a while I used to receive vehicles with very quite engines but re.tarded or advanced timing error codes on the engine computer, after advanced diagnosis we would notice that the intake VTC cam was welded firmly in place angry it was very common in the corrolas with the 2zr engines, and the honda with the K24Z engines, the symptoms exhibited were a terrible loss of power and correlation codes on timing.

So now that you know, before you buy that Nigerian used car, if you notice any funny timing codes and a previously breached timing cover just know that VTC might be welded in 1 position.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by mejai(m): 12:02pm On Jun 23, 2018
Honda accord evil spirit calls to mind

4 Likes

Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by com1234: 12:31pm On Jun 23, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
you startup a modern day vehicle from cold start, it rattles for a few secs (kakakakakakakakakakaa) then noise goes away like nothing happened. No performance issues, no noise. But when ever vehicle stands still inactive for about 5-6hrs and you startup again, you have the startup rattle.

If you have this problem, it is almost certain you have a defective VTC actuator.

VTC stands for Variable Timing control, As engine rpm builds, the VTC actuator - controlled by the engine computer that monitors cam position, ignition timing, exhaust emission and throttle position - advances or retards the intake cam throughout a range , optimizing engine output and reducing emissions.

When defective it rattles for a few secs until a buildup of oil pressure keeps it stable, so basically it's inability to hold oil makes it rattle for a few seconds.

Causes of this defect could arise from the use of wrong oil grades (20w50 people unna weldone) and Defect in production.

Once in a while I used to receive vehicles with very quite engines but re.tarded or advanced timing error codes on the engine computer, after advanced diagnosis we would notice that the intake VTC cam was welded firmly in place angry it was very common in the corrolas with the 2zr engines, and the honda with the K24Z engines, the symptoms exhibited were a terrible loss of power and correlation codes on timing.

So now that you know, before you buy that Nigerian used car, if you notice any funny timing codes and a previously breached timing cover just know that VTC might be welded in 1 position.

Thanks for this enlightenment. I fell in to that trouble, i spent a lot before realising that the actuators were welded.

4 Likes

Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by diportivo: 1:00pm On Jun 23, 2018
awon werey welder

it's not their fault

werey kazeem took the stuff to them to weld it

werey pipo everywhere undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by wane01(m): 12:35am On Jun 24, 2018
Been having this stuff with my 2012 corolla ....
The noise lasts for a while steaming the engine very early and disappears when immediately D is engaged . I also noticed the rattling is more on Monday since i use the car to go to the office only hence its Idle weekends.
Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by NobleEngineer(m): 5:13pm On Jun 24, 2018
exactly wetin dey do one of my corrollas, the 2000model...cold start kakakakakakak!!! I go just ignore am dey fire the motor dey go
wane01:
Been having this stuff with my 2012 corolla ....
The noise lasts for a while steaming the engine very early and disappears when immediately D is engaged . I also noticed the rattling is more on Monday since i use the car to go to the office only hence its Idle weekends.
Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by weyreypey: 6:20pm On Jun 24, 2018

(20w50 people unna weldone)

Proudly 20W50 no regrets.... That's OUR oil.

2 Likes

Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by HenriXI(m): 2:03am On Jun 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

This is a very interesting topic to me because I'm currently having a similar experience with my 2010 corolla S (with 2ZR engine).

I have this rattling kind of noise for the engine compartment many times when i startup the car in the morning and also when I'm leaving the office at close of work after the car had been parked since morning.

It doesn't happen when the car is in use throughout the day (that's after it happens on first startup). Until its parked for a long time.

I did some research and realised it's a factory issue that can be corrected (TSB attached).

Please can you give me a quote on the parts I'll need, and the cost. Cuz I'm not in Lagos but we can work something out and you waybill the parts to me.

Thanks in advance.

Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:06am On Jun 25, 2018
NobleEngineer:
exactly wetin dey do one of my corrollas, the 2000model...cold start kakakakakakak!!! I go just ignore am dey fire the motor dey go

your engine is not equipped with variable timing. I will suggest you fire gently before it keeps you stranded on the road.

3 Likes

Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:07am On Jun 25, 2018
HenriXI:

This is a very interesting topic to me because I'm currently having a similar experience with my 2010 corolla S (with 2ZR engine).

I have this rattling kind of noise for the engine compartment many times when i startup the car in the morning and also when I'm leaving the office at close of work after the car had been parked since morning.

It doesn't happen when the car is in use throughout the day (that's after it happens on first startup). Until its parked for a long time.

I did some research and realised it's a factory issue that can be corrected (TSB attached).

Please can you give me a quote on the parts I'll need, and the cost. Cuz I'm not in Lagos but we can work something out and you waybill the parts to me.

Thanks in advance.

send a mail to gazzuzzatyahoodotcom or adminatgazzuzzdotcom, I will reply with a quote.
Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by SmartToyota(m): 10:19am On Jun 25, 2018
Noted
Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by Readonee35L(m): 9:30pm On Dec 09, 2019
Great and informative thread.
Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by LeJeun3: 10:22pm On Dec 09, 2019

Land Rovers/Range Rovers from 2002 to 2009, experience this too....

Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:08am On Dec 10, 2019
BMWs also have this issues when their vanos solenoids clogs up but the noise is constant even during motion and in extreme cases it can cause an engine knock.

1 Like

Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by jodeci(m): 1:38am On Dec 10, 2019
Worn timing chain guides cause this noise especially in nissan pathfinders and other nissan recent car models.

2 Likes

Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by BamBamK: 10:03am On Dec 10, 2019
my 2009 Honda accord evil spirit does this. learnt a hundred grand will correct it. don't have funds to spare jare.

what's the long term implication??

GAZZUZZ:

1 Like

Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:10am On Dec 10, 2019
BamBamK:
my 2009 Honda accord evil spirit does this. learnt a hundred grand will correct it. don't have funds to spare jare.

what's the long term implication??

discomfort
Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by BamBamK: 11:03am On Dec 10, 2019
yea, that is true.

can be quite embarrassing at times.

squeals like a confined bat being hit with hot rods.

GAZZUZZ:

discomfort

Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by okechukwu101: 9:45pm On Dec 10, 2019
Gazzuzz please Whats the after effect of welding it in one position? and is there a solution yet.
Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by tonylaw07(m): 7:06am On Feb 27, 2021
Please I just changed my welded vtc actuator on my Honda accord. The tokunbo own I fix just worked for a few hours and that rattling noise is back. I use full 5w-20 oil for my car. Pls any idea where i could get a better vtc actuator.
Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by alphamodel1(m): 8:13am On Feb 27, 2021
Good morning Bro, thanks for the nice work you’ve been doing here, God bless you.
I have a challenge with a friend’s Camaro, key got stuck in the ignition and won’t come out, also the car has been parked down for over 5 months (we may need to buy a new battery) can you help help out with this situation or recommend someone competent on the island? I will be very grateful. Thanks
Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by Mottomata(m): 11:34am On Feb 27, 2021
weyreypey:

Proudly 20W50 no regrets.... That's OUR oil.

That oil is not good for engines. It is one of the major causes of engine rattle at start up.
Re: 3second Rattle At Startup Or Timing Correlation Codes? by Macmilla(m): 8:27pm On Mar 25

(1) (Reply)

Mitsubishi Montero / Honda Accord In Perfect Condition At A Very Affordable Price. / My Car Engine Shuts Down On Low Speed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.