Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,791 members, 7,813,620 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:01 PM

Peter Tosh In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Peter Tosh In Nigeria (7824 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peter Tosh In Nigeria by bingbagbo(m): 7:25pm On Jul 28, 2011
Can anyone educate me on Peter Tosh's visit to niger in the 80's? was it true he came for spiritual cleansing and charms? how about his link with son okosun? will love it if you add pics to butress stuff!

See here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSKNlP2EuBw
Re: Peter Tosh In Nigeria by storitella: 6:40pm On Jul 30, 2011
Yes, Peter Tosh was in Nigeria in 1982 and he stayed at Sunny Okosuns house at Ogba. It was in Nigeria that he composed Mama Africa, GlassHouse and Not Gonna Give It Up, all three songs appeared in his Mama Africa album released in 1983. He returned to Naija in 1985 and stayed at EKo Hotel, And yes, Tosh was a believer in natural medicines and stuff like that. He needed treatment for a nagging ulcer and also for the various injuries inflicted on him over the years by police brutality. Peter Tosh was also concerned that he would one day be gunned to death(which sadly came to pass just a few years later) so Sunny Okosuns took him to some native doctors to make him "bulletproof".
Hope this helps, Lemme know if you need any more info. And by the way, he also gave one of his daughters a Nigerian name, Tobi
Re: Peter Tosh In Nigeria by bingbagbo(m): 11:36pm On Jul 30, 2011
@ STORITELLA i am so impressed but need more, can you tell me about this medicine man? and how come the bulletproof didnt work?do you have any works of peter tosh?tell me more about the bush doctor! cool
Re: Peter Tosh In Nigeria by storitella: 7:21pm On Jul 31, 2011
Well, nobody knows why the "bulletproof" failed, only that it failed as evidenced by the tragedy of Sept 11 1987.
By all accounts, Tosh was a warm, generous and caring man. He was a gifted songwriter, multi-instrumentalist who could sing lead and harmony vocals.
He was perhaps the most militant and uncompromising advocate of human rights and  black people in reggae. Even though he was famous around the world, he never received the respect and acknowledgement his talents deserved.
You can google up more info on him.
By the way, two of his sons have carried on the Tosh tradition, Andrew Tosh and Jawara Tosh(who performs under the name, Tosh 1)
Re: Peter Tosh In Nigeria by bingbagbo(m): 8:47pm On Jul 31, 2011
@ storitella thanx so much for the info, even though i still want more, especially of his stay in niger!. i also want to be friends with you! how about that? cool cool
Re: Peter Tosh In Nigeria by storitella: 9:15pm On Jul 31, 2011
I don't blame you, Peter Tosh is extremely fascinating and charismatic. Even I am trying to get more info about his visits to Nigeria especially as several of his children, Andrew in particular(andrew is writing a book on his father) and Dave Tosh, who is older than Andrew as well as a few Tosh biographers have asked me about it.
I tried to reach Sonny Okosuns before he died to ask about Peter but no success. I remember one reggae magazine published by Odion Agboh(?)  ran a cover story on Peter Tosh. I kept the magazine for years before it somehow got lost. I will try to reach odion and ask him for more details and let you know.
And yes, we can be and are already friends.
Re: Peter Tosh In Nigeria by bingbagbo(m): 12:11am On Aug 01, 2011
thanx a lot storitella. . . .can we chat on kwesinyarkohkoomson@yahoo.com? u made my day and i am so o o happy!

please will u mind dropping your yahoo id so we can chat more about ourselves and my icon PETER TOSH?
Re: Peter Tosh In Nigeria by ThePhenom(m): 4:50am On Jul 25, 2012
Peter Tosh visit to Africa was not for bulletproof; but to seek spiritual advice from Africans traditional medicine men. However the legend in was in Nigeria through another Nigeria legend sunny okosun, & dey both sat together with some ppl in okosun‘s home town Irrua-EDO STATE to drank palm wine, which Tosh noted dat, “dis is my first time of drinking palm wine.“ Tosh stay in Africa (Nigeria) were all funs & experience.

I love Peter Tosh
Re: Peter Tosh In Nigeria by bingbagbo(m): 9:45am On Jul 25, 2012
The-Phenom:
Peter Tosh visit to Africa was not for bulletproof; but to seek spiritual advice from Africans traditional medicine men. However the legend in was in Nigeria through another Nigeria legend sunny okosun, & dey both sat together with some ppl in okosun‘s home town Irrua-EDO STATE to drank palm wine, which Tosh noted dat, “dis is my first time of drinking palm wine.“ Tosh stay in Africa (Nigeria) were all funs & experience.

I love Peter Tosh

tell me more phenom, i am interested. . . cool

1 Like

Re: Peter Tosh In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:30pm On Sep 23, 2012
im jamaican and had no idea he went to Nigeria.

interesting.
Re: Peter Tosh In Nigeria by funshint(m): 6:34pm On Sep 24, 2021
Peter Tosh's music is always an inspiration to the soul. To call him a legend is an understatement...he was sent straight from divine!
Re: Peter Tosh In Nigeria by bingbagbo(m): 4:09pm On Jun 11, 2023
im jamaican and had no idea he went to Nigeria.

interesting.

He did

(1) (Reply)

The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. / Yoruba Phenomenon Of The Day / Do you want a wife from Oraifite ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.