Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,656 members, 7,820,284 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience (1727 Views)

The Worst Of Labour Party Is Better Than The Best Of APC, Says Kenneth Okonkwo / Buhari To Youth: Give Peace A Chance. My Generation Is On The Last Lap / 'Our Party Is Collapsing' - Salihu Lukman, DG Of APC Governor's Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by newnig: 6:33pm On Jul 16, 2022
I keep laughing at the online warriors all over social media declaring victory for Peter Obi and Labour Party when the party itself is disorganised at all levels.

So my older friend who is based abroad but has been involved in various philanthropic work in his state decided to join politics and add value to governance in his federal constituency. He had thought that since LP was making so much noise online, they may be the party to consider considering their supposed closeness to the aspiration of the masses.

He did all he could to get a membership card for LP. He even asked me to help him reach out to the Chairman of the party at the state level (a South Western state), I called the so-called Chairman after getting his number through a family friend, he refused to pick, return calls nor reply messages till date.

I decided to go online, got four numbers from the LP official website, all of them were switched off till date (anyone can confirm this), we sent mails to their official email as provided on their website, yet there was no response till date.

Did a couple of Google search, and called several numbers online provided through the search but they were either switched off or wrong numbers.

My friend got discouraged and decided to reach out to another party - Accord Party. He got registered as a member but unfortunately, they had selected a house of rep candidate for that constituency based on consensus. It is important to tell you all that up till the deadline yesterday, LP has no house of rep candidate nor house of assembly candidate for where my friend came from. Being someone already known in his constituency for his philanthropic works despite residing outside the country plus his passion for good governance and empowerment of youths, he would have been a good candidate for LP.

How can a party having most of its supporters ONLINE not have a proper and reliable means of communicating with the public or prospective members? For a while now, I have stood on the fence about PO and LP, but without sentiments, I can objectively tell you that LP is not ready for national assembly/state assembly/gubernatorial elections, talk more of Presidential elections.

During our search, I stumbled on several tweets on twitter asking how they can access their ward chairman or state chairman of LP to register as members. Days after and for some others - weeks after, they are yet to even get a single response. Perhaps, there are no ward chairmen to begin with, so it's understandable that you cannot give what you do not have.

Labour party will have to do beyond just "making noise online", you need office structures (not just people structures) in wards, local governments etc.
We can see what is happening in Osun State. I have worked as a top INEC ad-hoc staff in previous elections, and the truth remains, if you don't have agents at polling units to protect your votes, anything, just anything can and will happen.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by Xscape1993(m): 6:33pm On Jul 16, 2022
Okay ooo....
Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by Kingspin(m): 6:40pm On Jul 16, 2022
Labour Party:
If Nigeria really want true change, 6 - 7 months will be enough to pass the message.

Vote a sound candidate and leave godfatherism alone.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by VeryWickedMan: 6:42pm On Jul 16, 2022
Tinubu has lost yet another election

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by helinues: 6:44pm On Jul 16, 2022
I have been asking Obi's supporters about the roles of party agents in the election but they have been shifting goal post.

I doubt if LP have received up to 200 votes

3 Likes

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by mycar: 6:44pm On Jul 16, 2022
newnig:
I keep laughing at the online warriors all over social media declaring victory for Peter Obi and Labour Party when the party itself is disorganised at all levels.

So my older friend who is based abroad but has been involved in various philanthropic work in his state decided to join politics and add value to governance in his federal constituency. He had thought that since LP was making so much noise online, they may be the party to consider considering their supposed closeness to the aspiration of the masses.

He did all he could to get a membership card for LP. He even asked me to help him reach out to the Chairman of the party at the state level (a South Western state), I called the so-called Chairman after getting his number through a family friend, he refused to pick, return calls nor reply messages till date.

I decided to go online, got four numbers from the LP official website, all of them were switched off till date (anyone can confirm this), we sent mails to their official email as provided on their website, yet there was no response till date.

Did a couple of Google search, and called several numbers online provided through the search but they were either switched off or wrong numbers.

My friend got discouraged and decided to reach out to another party - Accord Party. He got registered as a member but unfortunately, they had selected a house of rep candidate for that constituency based on consensus. It is important to tell you all that up till the deadline yesterday, LP has no house of rep candidate nor house of assembly candidate for where my friend came from. Being someone already known in his constituency for his philanthropic works despite residing outside the country plus his passion for good governance and empowerment of youths, he would have been a good candidate for LP.

How can a party having most of its supporters ONLINE not have a proper and reliable means of communicating with the public or prospective members? For a while now, I have stood on the fence about PO and LP, but without sentiments, I can objectively tell you that LP is not ready for national assembly/state assembly/gubernatorial elections, talk more of Presidential elections.

During our search, I stumbled on several tweets on twitter asking how they can access their ward chairman or state chairman of LP to register as members. Days after and for some others - weeks after, they are yet to even get a single response. Perhaps, there are no ward chairmen to begin with, so it's understandable that you cannot give what you do not have.

Labour party will have to do beyond just "making noise online", you need office structures (not just people structures) in wards, local governments etc.
We can see what is happening in Osun State. I have worked as a top INEC ad-hoc staff in previous elections, and the truth remains, if you don't have agents at polling units to protect your votes, anything, just anything can and will happen.
Well noted, it's finance, with proper funding everything will fall in place
Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by Obidient4life2: 6:44pm On Jul 16, 2022
Urchins should face their failed candidate.
We are voting Obi and not Labour Party. Before Obi joined Labour party, what was the chance of the Labour candidate.
We can't be distracted by Osun election, our eyes is on the bigger picture.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by Viscuz: 6:44pm On Jul 16, 2022
helinues:
I have been asking Obi's supporters about the roles of party agents in the election but they have been shifting goal post.

I doubt if LP have received up to 200 votes

Shatap

3 Likes

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by helinues: 6:45pm On Jul 16, 2022
Kingspin:
Labour Party:
If Nigeria really want true change, 6 - 7 months will be enough to pass the message.

Vote a sound candidate and leave godfatherism alone.

7 months? When others have been preparing for the same election since 2019 election.

You people should try and be realistic instead of being optimistic

2 Likes

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by buksarki: 6:46pm On Jul 16, 2022
newnig:

Let no one decieve you about obidient being online sensation using something like Ekiti state and Osun as example. This is actual reason Obi never wanted to attend rally in Ekiti because he knows that Obidient movement is all about 2023 presidential election not about LP and it candidates at state level. He knows that labour party will start from president down to state. Nigeria have no problem voting APC and PDP candidates at state level based on individual candidates but at presidential level what every Nigeria youth want is Obi. If is possible for Obi to contest without political party I'm sure he would have chosen to do just that because he understand that is not about political party but individual.

3 Likes

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by Kingspin(m): 6:50pm On Jul 16, 2022
helinues:

7 months? While others have been preparing for the same election since the 2019 election.

You, people, should try and be realistic instead of being optimistic
In readiness for the 2023 elections the much talk about is the structure and structure is a human being and human beings are voters.

We will continue to spread the message of good governance and reason to vote qualify candidate
Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by Kenneth4u205(m): 6:51pm On Jul 16, 2022
Stop being foolish. The people of osun are voting for individual and not party. If Adeleke contested under LP ,he will still receive massive votes like he's getting now . APC candidates will also get votes if he contest under LP . The only problem here is that LP presented weak candidate. That's the only area LP needs to work on . Go for candidate that is highly acceptable to the people

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by limeta(f): 7:02pm On Jul 16, 2022
Obedient are not interested in state elections
We want the presidency that the goal .
Pdp will do us justice on state level
Shame to Apc
Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by IgweOfNnewi: 7:07pm On Jul 16, 2022
Soludo already said they will labour in vain

2 Likes

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by inoki247: 7:09pm On Jul 16, 2022
People will be telling dem something without sentiment dem go dey accuse the person of been an opposition u guys need massive campaign to get it right at least a once in a week ward meeting and also sharing tract like church wey dey du evangelism....

Do you know why Lagos APC structure is so hard to break for opposition every week in Lagos for the 4 years before election dere is always a weekly ward meeting not like PDP or other opposition that's when dere is election dey come together and start dere ward meeting maybe 1 year to election...

Buh Lagos APC dey don't joke with weekly ward meeting for the 4 years before election.....

And to run this kind of structure you need massive giveaway to share every week for 4years....

All this av alot of role dey play buh people think election in this part of the world is like the West or US own....

5 Likes

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by Austin4lif: 7:23pm On Jul 16, 2022
newnig:

maybe u are given the wrong number. The party have closed for house of Reps and Senate as of yesterday. And pls do well by telling us the state which you are unable to contact the chairman and I will direct you accordingly. We have structures , no party is powerful in all the 36 states, there must be weaker states, u dnt expect labour party not to do well in kaduna state and Anambra state. So I await the state that u are referring to expect you are cooking up the story. Shalom!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by ERCROSS(m): 7:36pm On Jul 16, 2022
We are for Peter Obi, not Labour Party. If Mr Peteru comot for Labour Party today go end of the year party, we meuveeeee 2.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by newnig: 3:33am On Jul 17, 2022
Austin4lif:
maybe u are given the wrong number. The party have closed for house of Reps and Senate as of yesterday. And pls do well by telling us the state which you are unable to contact the chairman and I will direct you accordingly. We have structures , no party is powerful in all the 36 states, there must be weaker states, u dnt expect labour party not to do well in kaduna state and Anambra state. So I await the state that u are referring to expect you are cooking up the story. Shalom!
Oyo State. It's too late now, we don't need the number anymore. Cheers!
Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by Austin4lif: 3:12pm On Jul 17, 2022
newnig:
ok thanks
Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 17, 2022
Making noise...the Igbo specialty. Next match they revert to "Biafla or nothing".

4 Likes

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jul 17, 2022
buksarki:

Let no one decieve you about obidient being online sensation using something like Ekiti state and Osun as example. This is actual reason Obi never wanted to attend rally in Ekiti because he knows that Obidient movement is all about 2023 presidential election not about LP and it candidates at state level. He knows that labour party will start from president down to state. Nigeria have no problem voting APC and PDP candidates at state level based on individual candidates but at presidential level what every Nigeria youth want is Obi. If is possible for Obi to contest without political party I'm sure he would have chosen to do just that because he understand that is not about political party but individual.

So, Obi wins the presidential election...has to deal with a National Assembly full of PDP and APC mongrels...and they gang up to impeach him. Have you guys ever heard the word "strategy" in your lives?!

3 Likes

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by Nazgul: 6:52am On Jul 19, 2022
HedwigesMaduro:

So, Obi wins the presidential election...has to deal with a National Assembly full of PDP and APC mongrels...and they gang up to impeach him. Have you guys ever heard the word "strategy" in your lives?!
If Obi wins the election under LP, more than 95% of PDP reps and senators in the SS, SE and NC would decamp to LP. So the issue of impeaching him wouldn't come cos LP would have a considerable number of NA members.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by Bizibi(m): 7:03am On Jul 19, 2022
Someone is pointing out some areas the party has to work on but as usual neophytes will always show their ignorance.

4 Likes

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by Cantonese: 7:10am On Jul 19, 2022
newnig:

Please stop showing your ignorance and disgracing yourself.

There are several other registered parties in the federation. How many of them have all the representatives required?

Alliance for democracy with Tinubu was known as a regional party, before it was folded up. The party produced governors in the SW and had no representatives nationally. Did that stop Tinubu from trying to get the SW into national politics using his own platforms?

Why has Peter Obi and Labour Party appeared as a threat to you all?

Jagbajantis intete.
Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by newnig: 8:33am On Jul 19, 2022
Cantonese:

Please stop showing your ignorance and disgracing yourself.

There are several other registered parties in the federation. How many of them have all the representatives required?

Alliance for democracy with Tinubu was known as a regional party, before it was folded up. The party produced governors in the SW and had no representatives nationally. Did that stop Tinubu from trying to get the SW into national politics using his own platforms?

Why has Peter Obi and Labour Party appeared as a threat to you all?

Jagbajantis intete.
I didn't want to reply you initially, because I did not create my post to convince anyone. I am neither APC, PDP nor LP supporter. I am a public servant and I have no business with active politics. I merely narrated my experience while trying to help a friend.

The things said about you LP supporters are true, rather than address issues, you attack personalities. What a pity?!

I dare to say the Tinubu you mentioned is smarter than you and Peter Obi because if what you opined is anything to go by, Tinubu smartly refused to contest for President under AD or AC, instead he focused on building a stronger structure in Lagos and gradually extended it to South West and eventually built a national party through alliance with other regional parties like CPC and some factions of APGA, PDP etc. I am sorry to say this but maybe Obi should also try building a regional structure first and test his popularity in the East before attempting Presidency. But what do I know?

Apart from the misguided youths ranting on twitter and Facebook, how many Northern politicians or even Southern politicians with great influence today are willing to align with Obi?

We are talking facts here. During one of the charity visits my friend's foundation made in Oyo State, I had the privilege to be in attendance. We met with some artisan, trade and agricultural groups. A notable one among them were the Oyo farmers protection association. They had a list of over 500,000 members in the state. Out of that number, 70% were not on WhatsApp but that list contained the names and location of the farmers with their PVC numbers. I mean, why will farmers come with a list of their members with their PVC numbers attached? They know it's a bargain tool.

When they were asked what they need, their leader said they don't want money but fertilizers. He said if you give us N50,000 each, it will finish, but 2kg of fertilizer will help each farmer get a yield of up to 50 bags. Now, imagine if Tinubu or Atiku shares branded fertilizers to these farmers who are not on social media and cares for nothing but their farms, who do you think they will vote for?

A lot of you here are just kids who know nothing about grassroot politics. As at today, the NorthWest still has the highest number of registered voters at over 21m and has always recorded a voter turnout of over 50% in past elections, the South East has only over 10m with usual low voter turnout which will be worsened by violence and sit-at-home threats. Let's not mention the systemic disenfranchisement of eligible voters in that region by not registering as much as they should. SW has over 17m with also less than 50% voter turnout. How has LP fared in this region using Ekiti and Osun as litmus tests?

Guy, go and sleep!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by BATified2023: 8:58am On Jul 19, 2022
buksarki:

it’s just like saying we shouldn’t care about pillars n support structures in building a house,we should just put the roof on top

How will d roof stand without the pillars n other necessary support

It’s just like a builder saying his main aim is mounting the roof

Does that make sense to u?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by BATified2023: 9:00am On Jul 19, 2022
limeta:
Obedient are not interested in state elections
We want the presidency that the goal .
Pdp will do us justice on state level
Shame to Apc
it’s like saying a builder isn’t interested in pillars n support, he just want to mount d roof n that’s d goal

Many of u are first time voters

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by newnig: 9:23am On Jul 19, 2022
BATified2023:
it’s just like saying we shouldn’t care about pillars n support structures in building a house,we should just put the roof on top

How will d roof stand without the pillars n other necessary support

It’s just like a builder saying his main aim is mounting the roof

Does that make sense to u?
grin nice analogy Sir

1 Like

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by Vistra40: 9:29am On Jul 19, 2022
newnig:

What’s the name of the chairman in oyo state and phone number. Share let me cross check and see if it tallies with what someone shared somewhere
Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by pinkgoodies(m): 10:39am On Jul 19, 2022
Kenneth4u205:
Stop being foolish. The people of osun are voting for individual and not party. If Adeleke contested under LP ,he will still receive massive votes like he's getting now . APC candidates will also get votes if he contest under LP . The only problem here is that LP presented weak candidate. That's the only area LP needs to work on . Go for candidate that is highly acceptable to the people

Is a lie. Many also voted PDP as a Party. If adeleke were to be in LP. The votes would have been splitted between d two parties. Same reason APC likes that P0 is in d race now just to divide PDPs vote in the SS/SE. If not, it would have been a done deal for Atiku a long time ago. So u need structures and also a Good Candidate.

2 Likes

Re: Labour Party Is A Joke And Have To Work Smarter To Stand A Chance; My Experience by Ndibunna: 10:49am On Jul 19, 2022
newnig:

We have heard. Next

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking: Yoruba And Igbo Youths Reaching Agreement / 2023: Afenifere Leader, Fasoranti Blesses Tinubu, Counters Obi’s Endorsement / Why Atiku And Tinubu Have Joined Hands To Attack Peter Obi(Vanguard)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.