Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,134 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

Urgent Advice Needed. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Urgent Advice Needed. (1214 Views)

Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. / My Wife Is Adulterous: Advice Needed-long Post / Advice Needed: On The Verge Of Hitting My Mum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Advice Needed. by Davies25: 7:21pm On Jul 16, 2022
Good day Nairalanders,

My rent is expiring soon.
I was given an uncompleted one bedroom building by my parents (no official documents)
I was in a difficult place financially so i decided to renovate/complete the building instead of renewing my house rent.
Thus far, i have spent about 600k
And i will still need close to 800k or more to make the place habitable.

My thought at first was that if i spend the equivalent of my 2 years rent (400k). The house will be habitable and i can move in.
But now, I'm spending money i don't have.

My rent is expiring soon, should i look for the 800k and complete the building or i should just renew my rent and let go of my 600k investment??

Note: I'm broke, if I'm looking for the money it will be a high interest loan.

I'm just confused. I need help here.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Rubbiish(m): 7:26pm On Jul 16, 2022
Davies25:
Good day Nairalanders,

I was given an uncompleted one bedroom building by my parents (no official documents)
I was in a difficult place financially so i decided to renovate/complete the building instead of renewing my house rent.

Why are u rushing to complete the building if your parents gave it you? If money for ur rent can't complete it, pay ur rent while u complete it gradually.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by fman(m): 7:29pm On Jul 16, 2022
Rubbiish:

Why are u rushing to complete the building if your parents gave it you? If money for ur rent can't complete it, pay ur rent while u complete it gradually.
simple.
You nailed the advice.
Thumb up man.
May your dayz b long

2 Likes

Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by chatinent: 7:50pm On Jul 16, 2022
You for pay rent as you renovated. The house no dey run

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Stallionhorse: 8:00pm On Jul 16, 2022
We people are living inside carton under the bridge, this one is complaining of uncompleted that I've spent 600k.. You can't even respect us and post pictures so we can see the so called house u claim to need another 800k to finish.. My guy your a Mumu man!! 1.4m to finish uncompleted.. That money can build a 3 bedroom flat..
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Mariangeles(f): 8:05pm On Jul 16, 2022
Finish what you started by completing the building your parents gave you.
You've gone too far to neglect it now, and paying your rent after everything would be a waste of effort and investment.
If you have the money to pay your rent, use it to complete the house and move in (it'll save you future expenses).

6 Likes

Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Davies25: 8:30pm On Jul 16, 2022
Rubbiish:

Yes, this is what I feel like doing. But my landlord is aware of the house and he has told me he isn't collecting rent from me again. He expects me to move to the house.
So, that means am getting a new place.
2) The general opinion including my parents is that i should complete it that paying another rent would be a waste.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Davies25: 8:34pm On Jul 16, 2022
Mariangeles:
Finish what you started by completing the building your parents gave you.
You've gone too far to neglect it now, and paying your rent after everything would be a waste of effort and investment.
If you have the money to pay your rent, use it to complete the house and move in (it'll save you future expenses).

Thank you.

That 800k will pay my rent for 3 n half years.
My fear is; no official documents was given me, won't it amount to a waste if later my other siblings are laying claim to it. Since i didn't start it. ( Humans are unpredictable)

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by tayo60(f): 8:36pm On Jul 16, 2022
Davies25:

Yes, this is what I feel like doing. But my landlord is aware of the house and he has told me he isn't collecting rent from me again. He expects me to move to the house.
2) The general opinion including my parents is that i should complete it that paying another rent would be a waste.
This is a best decision, follow it
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by tayo60(f): 8:39pm On Jul 16, 2022
Davies25:

Thank you.

My fear is; no official documents was given me, won't it amount to a waste if later my other siblings are laying claim to it. Since i didn't start it. ( Humans are unpredictable)
Let your parents tell them how much you spent on d house for future reference, incase they want to lay claim, they will have to refund you your money before you all decide what to do with d house.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Rubbiish(m): 9:00pm On Jul 16, 2022
Davies25:

What sort of landlord is that?
Get another house
Every landlord is after money, why is yours different? There are people who own houses & still live in rent for personal reasons. Proximity to workplace, environment etc.

2) But your money for rent can't complete it??

Before embarking on such project, u should be very sure that the money will complete it, if the funds u have can't complete it, then u pay ur rent & complete the house gradually. Your parents house is also your house. You are just making issues for yourself. This does not warrant u taking a loan at all. I am seeing serious miscalculations & improper planning on your part. U jump into this completion thing without properly analysing your budget & now u are stuck! This ur fire brigade approach to completing that house when u knew u have insufficient funds was a bad plan.
If the money u still have at hand, can pay ur rent, pay it & complete ur parents house gradually!

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by TheboyGhost(m): 12:22pm On Jul 17, 2022
Pay your rent. In two years time you will finish your investment, then no more rent again for you cool

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by DenreleDave(m): 5:58pm On Jul 17, 2022
Stallionhorse:
We people are living inside carton under the bridge, this one is complaining of uncompleted that I've spent 600k.. You can't even respect us and post pictures so we can see the so called house u claim to need another 800k to finish.. My guy your a Mumu man!! 1.4m to finish uncompleted.. That money can build a 3 bedroom flat..

Wooden house right?

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by DenreleDave(m): 6:00pm On Jul 17, 2022
Davies25:

Thank you.

Why would your siblings collect a place your parents gave you?

On what basis?
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Stevenbright(m): 6:20pm On Jul 17, 2022
Davies25:

If it is roofed already, put windows, move in and manage it and then continue working on it at your own pace without having to borrow any money.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by efficiencie(m): 4:42am On Jul 18, 2022
Davies25:
Good day Nairalanders,

My thought at first was that if i spend the equivalent of my 2 years rent (400k). The house will be habitable and i can move in.

My rent is expiring soon, should i look for the 800k and complete the building or i should just renew my rent and let go of my 600k investment??

Dude but why did you do this to yourself na...you spent 600k on an apartment that is still not yet complete when you can renew your rent and still have change! Now you are broke and you came to nairaland. Maka why?
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Dailyparrot: 6:21am On Jul 18, 2022
efficiencie:

Dude but why did you do this to yourself na...you spent 600k on an apartment that is still not yet complete when you can renew your rent and still have change! Now you are broke and you came to nairaland. Maka why?

If you have ever built a house before, you will understand.

One thing about building is that, it looks simple or almost completed at the surface until you start putting in money, and money, and more money.

OP, I would suggest you find a way to complete the building but like your concern, let your parents put it into writing that you are the one that completed the building.

If you are not the first son, then know that your other siblings will come to lay claim to the house in future and your parents may not be alive that time to testify for you.

Funnily, people come to nairaland to ask questions after taking some irreversible decisions. If you had come here earlier, I would have insisted in you getting clarification and all the necessary documents from your parents before touching that house.

Can you throw light on how many siblings you have, your position in the family, and how your relationship with each other looks like.

PS: Except you must have lived up your expenses in the house, then you should not be bothered whether your siblings come to drag the house with you in the near future. Imagine living there for the next 10 years, calculate the savings and see that you still gained putting money there no matter what happens in the future.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Channah1(f): 7:04am On Jul 18, 2022
Why didn't you draw out a proper plan and first calculate the cost before going ahead with the building project? Even the Bible says so. Now you're caught in the middle of nowhere, planless.

I'll advise you drop the project first, put it on rent and use the money you get from the rent to complete it for the tenant while you get a place to stay for the meantime.

Next time, plan very well before starting anything.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Naijaolosho2: 12:32pm On Jul 18, 2022
Stallionhorse:

Not only a 3 bedroom flat,it will build 4flats. Many of you don't know what the market says now and yet you'll come here making foolish assumptions, I doubt if you've ever done a house project before.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Mariangeles(f): 12:59pm On Jul 18, 2022
Davies25:

Thank you.

If after completing the building, you're able to live in it for up to 10-15 years at least without paying rent, that alone would've been a good investment (in my opinion).
Still, you can have the discussion with your parents and siblings, to establish an agreement.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Munzy14(m): 1:55pm On Jul 18, 2022
Davies25:
Good day Nairalanders,

Your write up doesn't correspond if I look at from an Engineering view.

Uncompleted single room? At what stage did you took over the construction?

Block work stage?

Lintel stage?
Roofed stage?

Because 1.4M will buid a one room from scratch to pack in...With balance.

Family inheritance are usually dicey if you aren't the first son, nor last born...

In my place only this two get inheritance without arguments..
First son takes over his father's obi (house).

Last born inherits the land allocated to his mom for cultivation..This land is that small land at the back of a family house in the village where mothers throw away kitchen waste and sewage.

Other inheritance are now shared to benefit every member.

If you can renovate the house and stay there, save up for some years to get yours even na remote area, fine...No investment is waste.

Land is the only thing that appreciates in nature.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Davies25: 10:23am On Jul 23, 2022
Munzy14:

Your write up doesn't correspond if I look at from an Engineering view.

Uncompleted single room? At what stage did you took over the construction?

Block work stage?

Lintel stage?
Roofed stage?

Because 1.4M will buid a one room from scratch to pack in...With balance.

Family inheritance are usually dicey if you aren't the first son, nor last born...

In my place only this two get inheritance without arguments..
First son takes over his father's obi (house).

Last born inherits the land allocated to his mom for cultivation..This land is that small land at the back of a family house in the village where mothers throw away kitchen waste and sewage.

Other inheritance are now shared to benefit every member.

If you can renovate the house and stay there, save up for some years to get yours even na remote area, fine...No investment is waste.

Land is the only thing that appreciates in nature.

Are you serious?
Tiler just gave me a 300k bill
Electrification more than 200k
Plumber more than 280k
Doors 310k
Pop, i don't even know yet.
Plastering is gulping more than 150k already.
I took over after roofing, and yes, i will spend more than 1.4m to make it livable

Thanks anyway.
I'm the last born. Mentioning inheritance is making feel like an idiot and a do no good.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Davies25: 10:29am On Jul 23, 2022
Mariangeles:

If after completing the building, you're able to live in it for up to 10-15 years at least without paying rent, that alone would've been a good investment (in my opinion).
Still, you can have the discussion with your parents and siblings, to establish an agreement.

I can't cos it's a small place.
Rent would be the only option.
Yes, i had the discussion with my mom.
She said, it's mine.
I just want to know if it's a good investment since I'm probably never going to be able to sell it
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Davies25: 10:31am On Jul 23, 2022
Naijaolosho2:

Not only a 3 bedroom flat,it will build 4flats. Many of you don't know what the market says now and yet you'll come here making foolish assumptions, I doubt if you've ever done a house project before.

Thanks man,
If i know i would spend half of that, i won't have even started it since i have my own land somewhere else.
Things are crazy expensive right now
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Davies25: 10:34am On Jul 23, 2022
Channah1:
Why didn't you draw out a proper plan and first calculate the cost before going ahead with the building project? Even the Bible says so. Now you're caught in the middle of nowhere, planless.

I'll advise you drop the project first, put it on rent and use the money you get from the rent to complete it for the tenant while you get a place to stay for the meantime.

Thank you, you are right.
I'm just looking for a way forward cos i know i already bleeped up.

To make it rentable, i will still need that 800k
A room n parlour here is around 150-170k/annum
So, 2 years rent is still 300k.
Not even close to what I need to complete it

Next time, plan very well before starting anything.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Mariangeles(f): 10:39am On Jul 23, 2022
Davies25:

I can't cos it's a small place.
Rent would be the only option.
Yes, i had the discussion with my mom.
She said, it's mine.
I just want to know if it's a good investment since I'm probably never going to be able to sell it

If it is yours, then you can rent it out whenever you're ready to move to another place.
Still a good investment.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Davies25: 10:40am On Jul 23, 2022
Dailyparrot:

in

Can you throw light on how many siblings you have, your position in the family, and how your relationship with each other looks like.

PS: Except you must have lived up your expenses in the house, then you should not be bothered whether your siblings come to drag the house with you in the near future. Imagine living there for the next 10 years, calculate the savings and see that you still gained putting money there no matter what happens in the future.

Thank you,
I sought clarification, it's my mom's place.
She promised to do an affidavit.
But i think she's reluctant to do it and i don't want to push it.
I'm the last born. On the face level, no one is ever coming to disturb me or lay claim. But people can be unpredictable.

It's a room n parlour, with a self contained by the side ( I'm not working on the self contained yet) so, it would be too small for me in the nearest future Except if i rent it out.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Davies25: 10:46am On Jul 23, 2022
Stevenbright:

If it is roofed already, put windows, move in and manage it and then continue working on it at your own pace without having to borrow any money.
Ha, i can't live in an uncompleted building oh grin
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Channah1(f): 10:56am On Jul 23, 2022
[quote author=Davies25 post=115003100][/quote]

Hmmm.. where is it that a room and parlor still goes for 150k? When in my former area, singleroom selfcon goes for 350 per annum. Your area is Soo cheap.

If it's in my area, the rent for a room and parlor per annum will fetch you the 800k to complete the house.

If that is the case, then get an apartment, stay there and work towards completing your project. It will lessen the burden a bit.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed. by Munzy14(m): 12:12pm On Jul 23, 2022
Davies25:

Are you serious?
Tiler just gave me a 300k bill
Electrification more than 200k
Plumber more than 280k
Doors 310k
Pop, i don't even know yet.
Plastering is gulping more than 150k already.
I took over after roofing, and yes, i will spend more than 1.4m to make it livable

Thanks anyway.
I'm the last born. Mentioning inheritance is making feel like an idiot and a do no good.

For a single room, it is on the high side.

As a last born, you are safe.

Others go even pity you.

Go ahead.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Can You Be A Full Time House Wife? / Briton, Neil Crampton, Sentenced For Murdering Nigerian Wife & Two Children / Just Curious

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.