Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,018 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

How Did You Become An Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Did You Become An Atheist (959 Views)

I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? / An Atheist On Judgment Day / As An Atheist Would You Circumcise Your Male Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did You Become An Atheist by Guderian(m): 5:42pm On Jul 17, 2022
The topic is very clear. I'm curios to know how nigerians who did not grow with the popular atheist belief that is wide spread now later became atheist.

Or was atheism strong as it is now in the past decades,i doubt that.

WHAT FUELS ATHEISM??

Mods take this to frontpage
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Tonypen247(m): 5:44pm On Jul 17, 2022
Atheism is contradictory
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Guderian(m): 5:47pm On Jul 17, 2022
What made atheism spread in naija
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Maynman: 10:33pm On Jul 17, 2022
Atheism means you don’t believe in any god or gods, it’s very simple.
If you believe in Sango or yahweh you are a theist then we have atheist who don’t believe in any of them.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Maynman: 10:34pm On Jul 17, 2022
Guderian:
The topic is very clear. I'm curios to know how nigerians who did not grow with the popular atheist belief that is wide spread now later became atheist.

WHAT FUELS ATHEISM??

Mods take this to frontpage
A sango worshipper is a theist, what fuels Theism?
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Dliquidmetal(m): 11:30pm On Jul 17, 2022
Contradictions, lack of evidences for these deities(except maybe some sculptures)and also the need to have "faith" in these things.
Because I think when we need to have faith in something that means it cannot be accepted on its own merit,like there's no need to have faith in the existence of oxygen or gravity etc.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 9:17am On Jul 18, 2022
Tonypen247:
Atheism is contradictory
would you be so kind to elucidate pls?

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by A305: 10:57am On Jul 18, 2022
I use to be an Atheist — i, Ymodulus, Dveon and some other notable Atheists terrorized Religion section back then. Even Seun is a closeted Atheist.

I turned Atheist because the evidence(s) for religious belief system isn't compelling and when your try to logically put it all together like a jigsaw puzzle, they just wouldn't add up — no matter how you try.

However, upon further education, researches and continuous learning. I then realized it's really not smart for any one to label themselves Atheist — why — because, not only "believers" has the burden of proof.

Atheists also has the burden of proof to enable them wrestling down all claims put forward by believers too. That whole rhetoric would end up in voice raising baseless argument.

I switched gear, did a reverse and took the route of Agnostism.

We all about KNOWLEDGE in the agnostic world, it's called knowledge; knowing to stay on the edge.

Neil Dygress Tyson and Socrates opened my eyes to embrace this ideology.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by kingxsamz(m): 2:30pm On Jul 18, 2022
A305:
I use to be an Atheist — i, Ymodulus, Dveon and some other notable Atheists terrorized Religion section back then. Even Seun is a closeted Atheist.

I turned Atheist because the evidence(s) for religious belief system isn't compelling and when your try to logically put it all together like a jigsaw puzzle, they just wouldn't add up — no matter how you try.

However, upon further education, researches and continuous learning. I then realized it's really not smart for any one to label themselves Atheist — why — because, not only "believers" has the burden of proof.

Atheists also has the burden of proof to enable them wrestling down all claims put forward by believers too. That whole rhetoric would end up in voice raising baseless argument.

We all about KNOWLEDGE in the agnostic world, it's called knowledge; knowing to stay on the edge.

Neil Dygress Tyson and Socrates opened my eyes to embrace this ideology.

Atheism is simply the lack of belief in a god/gods. It's as simple as that. There's nothing like "burden of proof" in atheism.
It's like giving a name to the lack of belief in Big foot. Nothing like burden of proof when I say I don't believe big foot exists.
An atheist just don't believe. Whether they argue or not does not matter. Anyone can be atheist, dumb, smart, blind, crippled, disabled, poor, rich and could be in any profession. Even some pastors are atheists. It's just the lack of belief, nothing else.

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jul 18, 2022
Nice thread. It has been a while.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 18, 2022
I see no evidence regarding the existence of a supreme being, widely worshipped by millions and billions of people.

Nothing concrete.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Guderian(m): 3:07pm On Jul 18, 2022
Maynman:

A sango worshipper is a theist, what fuels Theism?

Traditional myths if i may say
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Guderian(m): 3:15pm On Jul 18, 2022
kingxsamz:

Atheism is simply the lack of belief in a god/gods. It's as simple as that. There's nothing like "burden of proof" in atheism.
It's like giving a name to the lack of belief in Big foot. Nothing like burden of proof when I say I don't believe big foot exists.
An atheist just don't believe. Whether they argue or not does not matter. Anyone can be atheist, dumb, smart, blind, crippled, disabled, poor, rich and could be in any profession. Even some pastors are atheists. It's just the lack of belief, nothing else.

Then why is Atheism belief not popular amongst growing teens.
Since teens seem to believe in God or a god
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Dliquidmetal(m): 3:47pm On Jul 18, 2022
Guderian:

atheism and belief is kinda an oxymoron don't you think? And where did you get your statistics from?

If people were raised without being indoctrinated to believe any deity until they are teenagers I think we would see a different result

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by KnownUnknown: 3:54pm On Jul 18, 2022
A305:

Agnosticism is the view or belief that the existence of God, of the divine or the supernatural is unknown or unknowable.

Based on this definition:

What is God?
What is the divine?
What is the supernatural?
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Maynman: 4:35pm On Jul 18, 2022
Guderian:

Traditional myths if i may say

Good
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Maynman: 4:38pm On Jul 18, 2022
Guderian:

Can you believe yet believe in nothing?
What do you mean by “atheism belief”
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by A305: 4:45pm On Jul 18, 2022
KnownUnknown:

Agnosticism is the view or belief that the existence of God, of the divine or the supernatural is unknown or unknowable.

Based on this definition:

What is God?
What is the divine?
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by A305: 4:47pm On Jul 18, 2022
kingxsamz:

ok
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Dtruthspeaker: 5:05pm On Jul 18, 2022
Guderian:

WHAT FUELS ATHEISM??

Simple!
1) Because it was the disease you catch in the media and movies just like covid.

2) Because the Bible prophecy is fulfilled and "Rapture" has taken place and the God has taken His own Children while others are Left Behind to be everything they want to be "I hate God"/Satanists,I "don't want to confess I hate God"/ atheists/ "just in case there is God I don't want Him to see me as an enemy (agnostics) etc
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Maynman: 6:43pm On Jul 18, 2022
A305:

Only a kid can be realistically be an agnostic.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by KnownUnknown: 6:51pm On Jul 18, 2022
A305:

What is God?
What is the divine?

If they are “unknowable”, how come you you refer to them? Doesn’t that indicate at least some knowledge of the “unknowable”?

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Maynman: 6:57pm On Jul 18, 2022
KnownUnknown:

What is God?
What is the divine?

If they are “unknowable”, how come you you refer to them? Doesn’t that indicate at least some knowledge of the “unknowable”?

You are very correct, only a baby can realistically be an agnostic
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by kingxsamz(m): 7:30pm On Jul 18, 2022
Guderian:

Same Teens who grew up in religious backgrounds? How tf would they become atheists in large numbers when they've been conditioned to acknowledge their beliefs are real right from the start?
Also, Atheism is not a belief.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by A305: 7:49pm On Jul 18, 2022
Maynman:

Only a kid can be realistically be an agnostic.
Ok
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by A305: 7:50pm On Jul 18, 2022
KnownUnknown:

What is God?
What is the divine?

Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Maynman: 7:53pm On Jul 18, 2022
A305:

How did you know that “god” is divine or supernatural?
A kid doesn’t know what the word “god” means.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by KnownUnknown: 7:54pm On Jul 18, 2022
A305:
Agnosticism is the view or belief that the existence of Ching Chug, of the fewmany or the woowoo is unknown or unknowable.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by A305: 7:56pm On Jul 18, 2022
Maynman:

How did you know that “god” is divine or supernatural?
A kid doesn’t know what the word “god” means.
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by Maynman: 7:59pm On Jul 18, 2022
A305:

Yet you know that he is divine and supernatural cheesy
Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by KnownUnknown: 8:01pm On Jul 18, 2022
Maynman:

Lol, agnosticism is the belief in the “unknowable god” who is “divine” and “supernatural”.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become An Atheist by A305: 8:08pm On Jul 18, 2022
Maynman:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ramadan Surprise / All Those Who Agree With Christ's Teachings Please Unite / Watch Loveworld Anytime Anywhere In The World!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.