Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,335 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? (1919 Views)

Help- Can I Apply For Canadian Study Permit In Ghana? / Where Can I Get International Drivers Permit In Nigeria? / Getting South African Study Permit In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? by Ronie24(f): 8:49am On Jul 29, 2011
Am planning to settle in the United Kingdom. Anyone with the idea on how long its gonna take to get work permit over there?
Re: Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? by worry246(m): 8:59am On Jul 29, 2011
It will take you untill hell freezes over unless you have a confirmed offer of a SKILLED job.
Without an invitation letter from UK company offering employment there is no way of getting work permit legally.
There is no such thing as open permit for you to go looking for work!
Re: Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? by justwise(m): 9:03am On Jul 29, 2011
Ronie24:

Am planning to settle in the United Kingdom. Anyone with the idea on how long its gonna take to get work permit over there?

You have to secure a skiled job first then the company will sponsor you, but its a tall order.
Re: Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? by TeeJay6(m): 9:11am On Jul 29, 2011
Ronie24:

if you agree to be my wifey i can help u get one.
Re: Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? by ndcide(m): 10:17am On Jul 29, 2011
worry246:

It will take you untill hell freezes over unless you have a confirmed offer of a SKILLED job.
Without an invitation letter from UK company offering employment there is no way of getting work permit legally.
There is no such thing as open permit for you to go looking for work!

shocked shocked shocked

huum! this is serious. simply put. uk, is a no go area. but what happened to the uk?
Re: Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? by tunnytox(m): 12:13pm On Jul 29, 2011
Tee_Jay:

Best advice so farĀ  grin grin funny but true especially if he's a UK citizen or settled migrant, don't go and marry someone without first seeing his passport otherwise you don turn mugu be datĀ  grin grin As for getting a skilled workers permit that itself even doesn't guarantee you'll be able to settle the new rules are made to ensure all workers return home after 2-5 years.
Re: Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? by claremont(m): 12:46pm On Jul 29, 2011
@OP: You need to be aware that before a UK company issues a work permit to an immigrant, they not only need to show that there are no UK residents capable of doing that job, but they also have to prove that there are no EU residents qualified to do that job. The best way for you go about it is via the marriage route as someone mentioned above; or maybe via the student route since with this the company can avoid the aforementioned resident labour test.
Re: Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? by snowdrops(m): 1:52pm On Jul 29, 2011
It depends on how skilled you are, qualifications and specialization. If you are a professor of astronomics you are more likely to get a job and hence work permit than a health care assistant.
Re: Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? by omega25red(m): 2:04pm On Jul 29, 2011
poster

i hope you are reading all that is being said.
Re: Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? by EuroMeko(m): 6:39pm On Jul 29, 2011
Tee_Jay:

Na wa for you Oga grin

Thats a heady offer considering she has no picture posted.
Re: Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? by Ronie24(f): 8:06pm On Jul 29, 2011
Thanks 2 u all but my husband to be isn't a British citizen, he's not been there before. We are both naive and just wanna go to the UK to start a new life.
Re: Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? by justwise(m): 8:10pm On Jul 29, 2011
Ronie24:

Thanks 2 u all but my husband to be isn't a British citizen, he's not been there before. We are both naive and just wanna go to the UK to start a new life.

You did the right thing by coming here to ask, UK immigration system has changed alot and it will even get worst.
Re: Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? by tunnytox(m): 10:16pm On Jul 29, 2011
Ronie24:

What qualifications and work experience do you both have? You may be qualified to migrate to Canada, Australia or New Zealand depending on your qualifications and work experience
Re: Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? by reindeer: 12:36am On Jul 30, 2011
claremont:

@OP: You need to be aware that before a UK company issues a work permit to an immigrant, they not only need to show that there are no UK residents capable of doing that job, but they also have to prove that there are no EU residents qualified to do that job. The best way for you go about it is via the marriage route as someone mentioned above; or maybe via the student route since with this the company can avoid the aforementioned resident labour test.

Except he/she gets a job on the shortage occupations list.
I have 3 new junior doctors from employed straight from Nigeria within the last 3 months via this route.
Its not easy these days but not impossible. One thing you should never consider is illegality. Your life will turn miserable as hell if you do.
best of luck
Re: Any Idea On How Long It Takes To Get A Work Permit In The U.k? by claremont(m): 7:13am On Jul 30, 2011
@OP: If I were in your shoes, I would rather migrate to New Zealand or Canada, rather than the UK. Those countries have better managed immigration systems positively skewed in favour of skilled migrants. I wouldn't advice anyone to choose the UK over those countries.

(1) (Reply)

10 Dead, 5 Survives In Ghastly Accident At Abia Tower, Umuahia (photo) / Any Nigerian In Bangladesh? / Meet The First Foreigner To Own A License In Recycling Cars In Finland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.